Start by marking “Once Upon a Curse (The Tales of the Frog Princess, #3)” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Curse (The Tales of the Frog Princess, #3)

Once Upon a Curse (The Tales of the Frog Princess #3)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  9,282 ratings  ·  307 reviews
Many years ago a slighted fairy placed a curse on a beautiful young princess—a curse that caused her and all her female descendants to turn into mean, ugly witches if they ever touched a flower after turning sixteen. Now, Princess Emma, who is about to turn sixteen herself, is determined to break the spell once and for all. Emma travels back in time to the day the curse wa ...more
Published December 2008 by Bloomsbury USA Children's Books (first published October 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Curse

Becky
I'm getting through these really quickly, they are really easy reads. This is book 3 in the series. Emma has been told for years about the family curse, any female over 16 in her family must stay away from flowers. Years ago Princess Hazel insulted a Fairy who cast the curse on her, now Emma's Grandmother is a bad tempered, mean spirited old witch, and has been for a few years, but now it's worse - her fun loving friendly aunt Grassina has been turned bad. Instead of the helpful jolly Aunt she i ...more
Kim ~*Nina*~
you already know emma and her Prince Edric so whats next ? Emma races to find a cure to her family curse befor she turns sixteen .She whants her aunt back to normal. But when she finds the cure to the curse .can a simple kiss be carried out?
Kathryn
I've been curious about Baker's books and as my library had a copy of his one on audio, narrated by Katherine Kellgren, I couldn't resist even though this is third in a series. The author explains things well enough that I did not feel lost. Alas, though, I did not feel that interested or excited, either. Even Kellgren's narration, which I usually love, felt a little bland here. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe it's me, as I've tried several of this "type" of book and , even though I think I sho ...more
Eliza Brittni
Nov 22, 2008 Eliza Brittni rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls
Recommended to Eliza Brittni by: me
Elizabeth
I love time-travel, and although I had one major problem with it (see below), the time-travel in Once Upon A Curse was executed nicely, if not as Back to the Future-ish as it could have been. Baker continues to use her characters in such a way that absurd situations never seem absurd, just humorous. Every character is used for some sort of humor, and it makes the whole story very fun to read (the fight with the dragon is especially humorous).

I absolutely adored the ending. I thought that Emma wa
Florence
Do you like to read about fairy tales and witch casting spells? If you enjoy reading about fairy tales and witch crafts then Once upon a curse is the book for you. This book is about a princess named Emma who's ancestors had been cursed by an angry fairy. The curse was cast long ago back in the days of the first green witch, Emma's ancestor. On the sweet sixteenth birthday of the green witch, she gave out everlasting bouquets for everyone and unfortunately, she didn't brought enough for everybod ...more
Sella Malin
Wow! This book was AMAZING!! It's definitely the best in the series so far. This series is just getting better and better. I think this book really made me start loving it. At the beginning, with the first and second books, I thought it was cute, but didn't really love it so much...but now it's one of my favorites series!! I LOVED the whole going-back-in time thing, that was soo cool. The ending was sooo sweet. :D I can't wait to read the next book!!
Debbie
Dec 17, 2009 Debbie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the fractured fairy tale
Tales of the Frog Princess, book 3.

Princess Emma is anxious to marry Prince Eadric, but first she must undo the family curse that threatens to turn her into an evil hag. Grassina has already fallen victim to the curse, as has every Green Witch before her. Emma goes back in time to when the spell was cast to try to discover how to break it.

Fans of the first two books in the series will like this one as well.
Dharia Scarab

Myself, I go ou
Library-KAT
I liked this book, it is the 3rd in the series 'The frog Princess" and I found it delightful... Finally a book on time travel that didn't leave me in the warp!

Emma is a Green Witch & Princess...who is engaged to Eadric, but she will only marry him if the Curse of the Green Witch (which has befallen all of her Green Witch ancestors...turning them into Snarky Hags) can be undone. For this she needs to go back in time to the day of the curse and witness its casting.

The story is filled with a ca
Emily
Allison
The book was awsome and I suggest you read it if you like fantasy.
Emily
Very cute! Not a disappointment. Just as good as the past two.
Nicole
My personal reaction was i loved how Emma time travels to save her future because she has a curse of ugly once she turns 16. It was a great different variant of books about princesses. The purpose of this book would be for independent readers for grade 6th students with a particular interest in fair tales and magic would love this book. The crazy spells and magic leave the readers hooked. This would be a great literary circle book to address if the book was believable and the effects of time tra ...more
Mark Dewey
At first I thought I might not like this as much as the first two, but then it started to surprise me some. I'm not quite sure how to describe what it was that I liked.

Anyway, the story is about Emma's endeavors to lift the family curse. A good chunk of it is a fantasy-style time travel story, although I think the portion I liked most was after that for some reason.

Interesting things happen fairly consistently. I didn't notice any lulls there. The author sets the stage with some new mystery (per
Nora
Jenben8426
Princess Emma is almost sixteen, which means the family curse will come upon her soon. Many years ago, an angry fairy cast a curse on Emma's ancestor that if once she turned 16 touched a flower, she would become a nasty and mean person. So far the curse has passed down and affected all the women in the family line. Emma's mother has banished all flowers from the castle, but Grassina and her grandmother met with flowers by accident and are now simply awful to be around. Emma knows she has to do s ...more
Wee!wawaLAA!!!
Apr 10, 2008 Wee!wawaLAA!!! rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fairy tale lovers
haha, i started last night...discretely ;D
sadly i forgot the story...but luckily the beginning is like a heads-up or reminder of what the story was talking about before
okay, so emeralda (or emma) is reaching her 16th birthday in a week, but there was this curse put on their family by a fairy, starting with princess hazel, saying that by touching a flower from age 16 onwards, all of their kindness, beauty, and good disappears and changes them to irritable witches :P
only the girls of the family ar
Amber
Once Upon A Curse is the third and final book in this series about Princess Emeralda and Prince Eadric (the others being Dragon's Breath and The Frog Princess).

Princess Emma and Prince Eadric must set out on quest. Another quest, you say? Yes, and another curse to undo. But the stakes are much higher this time. In fact, if Emma can't undo her family curse, then she and Eadric can never be happy together. Now, what exactly does this curse do? Can it be that bad, you ask? Well, let me tell you, ye
Sara ♥
All right. So this is the third installment of the Tales of the Frog Princess, after The Frog Princess and Dragon's Breath. In the last book, Emma and Eadric were concerned with turning Grassina's fiancé, Haywood, back from otter to human... and they were successful, except there was a slight glitch in the end, involving flowers, the family curse, and a big personality change. Emma finds herself with the title of Green Witch and more responsibility than she really cares to have.

SO, in Once Upon
Kimberly Fields
Emma and Eadric search for the cure to Emma's family curse, which turns any female over 16 into an ugly, mean-spirited old hag if she touches flowers at all. I enjoyed this continuation in the Frog Princess series, and was glad to get the kind Grassina back from her cursed state by the end of the book. Going back in time was a pretty unique twist on an otherwise typical fantasy book. Emma's mother drives me crazy, though!
Paige
Mar 22, 2011 Paige is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Once upon a curse is a wonderful story of a fairy tale gone wrong. There are many things that can happen in this book and it keeps you on your toes! I like the way that the tales are all tied together and that they make sense and they aren't just a bunch of jumble and stuff! It makes sense and fits together like a puzzle that I enjoy reading. When Emma was cursed she attempted to have the kiss with prince charming... Fail. That was the beginning of the unfortunate and chaos to continue on. This ...more
Jessica
Rating: 4/5

I picked up Once Upon a Curse from the library as an impulse read. I was unaware that it was part of a series, but I was in the mood for a cute, light-hearted read. I was not disappointed.

Once Upon a Curse is a super cute and sweet middle grade fantasy novel about a witch princess named Emma trying to break the curse that has been placed on her family. Whenever anyone in her family touches a flower, they will turn into a crabby, ugly witch. I enjoyed the lightness of the read. Sometim
Jaemi
Furiously seeking to deal with the latest turn of events in her now chaotic life, Emma has become the protector of her Kingdom. Closing in on her 16th birthday, and the family curse, she desperately hopes to find a cure, but everywhere she turns finds nothing. Pitting her wicked relations against one another, she is able to draw from them information to help her find what she needs. And so she and Eadric find themselves traveling back in time. And while she was told not to meddle, of course she ...more
Ellie K
The theme of this book is to never give up on family. I thought this book was amazing. It was action packed and I loved the time travel. Although it was a little cheesy, the author did a wonderful job of making it come to life. I liked the all the new characters, too. I'm so glad the author decided to keep writing more books. This was a great book and an amazing continuation of the series.
Kerri
It's been awhile since I've read the other two books so I didn't remember everything exactly. Still, it does a good job of recapping the important stuff without being annoying about it. As always with time travel, there were a lot of questionable things but it was still fun. A lot of stuff didn't add up either. Quick, easy read. Emma is growing as a character too, which is fun to see.
Rhea
Possibly my favorite of the series. A wonderful tale. I love the curse. It's hilariously comical, especially to see the difference in characters before and after the curse comes into effect on them. It's a fun tale and a wonderful edition to the series.
Chloe Lui
Every time I read a book by E.D Baker, I am never let down by it. I feel like a little girl reading fairy tales although it isn't. The book makes you feel like to every character's expansion , there is a hidden meaning behind it. Haywood and Grassina are a good example as he wasn't giving up on her *cue Say Something *. can't wait to get more of the series!
Jallé E.
This is my absolute favorite series of all time. I can even prove it because I read all 8 books in 2 months! (summer break)

It does have a bit of 'romance' but it is appropriate.

I recommend this book to GIRLS but, if a BOY wants to try it out they can.

THIS IS AN AMAZING BOOK!

IT DESERVES 5 STARS!
Another enjoyable tale of the Frog Princess (though she's no longer a frog so it seems a bit odd to continue to call her that). In this adventure, Emma sets back in time in an attempt to end the curse that has stricken all the women in her family and will continue to strike them through the generations. I didn't feel like the time-travelling aspect of this was gimmicky at all, so that was nice. I did become a bit annoyed with Emma's meddling in past events after being told not to. I really liked ...more
  • For Biddle's Sake (The Princess Tales, #5)
  • Dragon Spear (Dragon Slippers, #3)
  • Beauty Is a Beast (The Princess School, #4)
  • Once Upon a Marigold (Upon a Marigold, #1)
  • Once Upon a Crime (The Sisters Grimm, #4)
  • The Runaway Princess (Runaway Princess, #1)
  • A True Princess
  • The Wizard, the Witch, and Two Girls from Jersey
  • My Unfair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #2)
E.D. Baker (Elizabeth Dawson Baker) made her international debut in 2002 with The Frog Princess, which was a Texas Lone Star Reading List Book, A Book Sense Children's Pick, a Florida's Sunshine State Readers List pick & a 2006 Sasquatch Book Award nominee. The Princess and the Frog, is loosely based on this novel.

Elizabeth was born in Buffalo, New York and spent most of the next eighteen yea
More about E.D. Baker...

The Tales of the Frog Princess (8 books)
  • The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess, #1)
  • Dragon's Breath (Tales of the Frog Princess, #2)
  • No Place for Magic (The Tales of the Frog Princess, #4)
  • The Salamander Spell (Tales of the Frog Princess, #5)
  • The Dragon Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess, #6)
  • Dragon Kiss (The Tales of the Frog Princess, #7)
  • A Prince Among Frogs (Tales of the Frog Princess, # 8)
The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess, #1) Dragon's Breath (Tales of the Frog Princess, #2) The Wide-Awake Princess (Wide-Awake Princess, #1) No Place for Magic (The Tales of the Frog Princess, #4) The Salamander Spell (Tales of the Frog Princess, #5)

“How do you plan to scare people tonight?" asked a hollow-voiced spector. "I'll wait until they sit down to supper, then scream whenever someone sticks his knife in his meat."

I'll haunt the bedchambers," said another. "A bloody ax at midnight always gets a good reaction."

A ghost with a purplish tinge to his aura spoke next. "I can top both of you. I'm going to dress like a guard and haunt the privy. I'll hide in the hole and when anyone sits down I'll wail, 'Who goes there? State your business!”
47 likes
“Your father is the first person to tell me that I am lovely who seemed to mean it. The only people who've told me that before were ones who think they're supposed to flatter a princess'
'I think you're lovely,' murmured Eadric.
'Only because you love me,' I said.
'Hmm,' he said, kissing me before I could say anything else.”
25 likes