Start by marking “Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter” as Want to Read:
Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter

Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  2,792 Ratings  ·  288 Reviews

Are you a genius or a genius maker?

We've all had experience with two dramatically different types of leaders. The first type drain intelligence, energy, and capability from the ones around them and always need to be the smartest ones in the room. These are the idea killers, the energy sappers, the diminishers of talent and commitment. On the other side of the spectrum

Published June 15th 2010 by HarperBusiness (first published June 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Multipliers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Multipliers

Chad Warner
Oct 14, 2012 Chad Warner rated it did not like it
Recommended to Chad by: Mark de Roo
This leadership book explores how to bring out the best work in others. There are a few good points, but overall I found it severely dull. It’s much longer than it needs to be, being filled with examples ad nauseam. There are many better leadership books.

My favorite point was that people’s best thinking must be given, not taken. Much of the book is about creating an environment in which people willingly give their best thinking.

I liked the distinction made between stress and pressure in Chapter
Jonathan Lee
Jul 16, 2013 Jonathan Lee rated it it was ok
Good grief. This should have been a ten page (at best) pamphlet or research paper. Instead, it was turned into over 200 pages of making the same point ad nauseam. In addition, the personal stories were the most interesting part of the book, but even they got extremely repetitive. After the first five or so stories that illustrated the exact same points, they all tended to blur together. Just read the first and last chapters and save yourself some time.
Andrea
Mar 04, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and I think that there is a lot to learn from it. The idea is that the best leaders aren’t the smartest people in the room, but strive to make their teams smarter. They do this by asking a lot of questions, owning and talking about their mistakes, trusting that their team members want to do a great job, and requiring the best work possible. The book also talks about different steps to take to work on your multiplying effect.
Shaw
Mar 04, 2015 Shaw rated it it was amazing
I learned so much from Multipliers. This book demands introspection which was painful at times but well worth it. I would consider this book foundational and a companion book for Good to Great and Mindset.
Daniel Silvert
Jul 12, 2011 Daniel Silvert rated it it was amazing
Multipliers

In Mulipliers, authors Liz Wiseman with Greg McKeown explore the roots and applications of effective, inspiring leadership. For Wiseman, leaders can be broadly classified as either Multipliers or Diminishers. A Multiplier creates an environment where each team member is challenged, stretched, passionately engaged, and emerges not only more intelligent for having worked with a Multiplier, but exhilarated at having achieved great things . A Diminisher, as one can imagine, stunts the int
Matt
Aug 13, 2013 Matt rated it it was ok
meh.

60 pages worth of book that took up 250 pages instead.

This book is the quintessential example of researchers trying to find the X factor for success- and just finding common sense.

It's a worthwhile project - to figure out how to make OTHERS better. How to get the most out of people how to multiply your own work and effort exponentially.

This book does make some great points:

1. You know that "genius" or indispensable person that has the smarts, but drives everyone else nuts and makes everyone
Amanda
Mar 18, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book because it was very inspiring in the fact that it encourages people in the place of leadership to provide a positive atmosphere for their teams. Leaders building up their teams to get better results for the individuals and for the company. Promoting praise where it's due, so that the employees feel appreciated, and addressing some issues that can be worked on for improvement as opposed to the "diminisher" who makes the team members feel like they're not doing a good enou ...more
Natalie
Feb 25, 2015 Natalie rated it liked it
There were a log of great take-aways in this book. Love the concept of Genius Watching, as well as the focus on being aware of how a leader can influence others - both for growth and for diminishing... I have been playing with ideas from the book, and have seen a change in meetings I have with my teams.
Amanda Paulin
Feb 27, 2015 Amanda Paulin rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and took many lessons from it. One of the biggest is that I need to work on multiplying the skills and assets of my team, instead of diminishing them. I cannot keep all of the knowledge I have in my mind or else we will not grow great and powerful leaders. This is a must read for anyone embarking on any leadership role, be it at work or in their personal lives.
Heather
Feb 22, 2017 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
This is really a good book that motivates and teaches us how to be better and help others be better and accomplish more while we each learn and grow. Organizations and individuals have been challenged recently to do more with less. This book points out that we should all be doing that anyway. Instead of just throwing resources at a problem we should be leveraging them better. The best leaders are "Multipliers." They help everyone around them grow, learn, work harder, accomplish more, and come to ...more
Victoria Chen
Oct 11, 2016 Victoria Chen rated it liked it
I benefitted from the delineation between the two leadership styles. However, like many other books of this genre, the concepts in this book could've been shortened to a few pages and a table. It got very repetitive and felt like an anecdotal extension of the book "Mindset".
William Edmondson
Oct 10, 2014 William Edmondson rated it really liked it
Like many business concepts there is nothing revolutionary in the leadership attributes identified in this book. They could be classified as "common sense". However, personal experience has shown that common sense does not necessarily mean common practice. I have seen the negative behaviors described in this book in leaders I have worked with as well as in my own leadership actions.

I found the authors grouping and summary of behaviors concise and informative and find myself regularly referring b
Ray Kelly
Nov 30, 2014 Ray Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: business
If you're in a leadership role - read this book! If you are interested in some different ideas on leadership fundamentals I am sure that you will find it interesting. The authors juxtapose two quite different types of leaders whom they characterize as the Diminisher, and the Multiplier. We have all had experience with these two dramatically different types of leaders. The first type drains intelligence, energy, and capability from the people around them and always needs to be the smartest person ...more
Melanie Archer
Nov 11, 2015 Melanie Archer rated it really liked it
This book basically teaches you, as a leader, how to identify the strengths, motives, talents and drive of your team members and to encourage their best work so they can reach their full professional potential - how to be a "genius maker". "Multipliers are leaders who look beyond their own genius and focus their energy on extracting and extending the genius of others. These are not 'feel good' leaders. They are tough and exacting managers who see a lot of capacity in others and want to utilize t ...more
Kristian Norling
Aug 26, 2012 Kristian Norling rated it it was amazing
This a great book on two opposite types of managers, diminishers and multipliers. If you never have experienced a diminisher manager in your career, you are a very lucky person. The book has practical hands on advice on how to become a multiplier, with many good examples. Often noone is either or, but have traits that are good and bad. This book made me reflect on how I behave and how I want to be treated. This book is not recommended reading, it is a-must-read!
Jesseb
Jun 10, 2010 Jesseb rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book on leadership styles. The authors share their extensive research into how some leaders bring out the best in everyone around them while others stifle initiative, creativity, and productivity. A must read for everyone--even if you aren't part of the business world from which the authors draw most of their examples and where they conducted their research. The concepts they have developed apply to all areas of life.
Seth
Mar 18, 2013 Seth rated it it was amazing
This book is truly one of the better leadership books written. Understanding what it takes to become a Multiplier maybe one of the most important things in your career. I highly recommend this book.
Dave
Apr 29, 2015 Dave rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
About par for the leadership book course. Important idea dragged out about 200 pages longer than necessary. But still an important idea.
Krishna
I can't disagree with the premise that you should treat people like they're smart, especially if they are smart, but I wasn't impressed with the research.
Diane
Apr 13, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it
This is a good book about leadership. It is about bringing out the best in others rather than diminishing others by your domineering management style.
Cindy
Oct 31, 2016 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Multipliers is a leadership book that everyone should read. It's basic concepts are that good. I agree with others that it is very redundant and could have been much shorter (you've all heard me say that many times before regarding business books) but it is easy to skip those sections and still learn a great deal. Whether you are early in your career or have been managing and leading for decades you will find something in this book that will make you better; oops - I can't believe I just made th ...more
Laura Thompson
Feb 26, 2017 Laura Thompson rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading the difference between Multipliers and Diminishers. I think we have all worked for both and we all can be both. What a great leadership question to reflect on: am I being a Multiplier or a Diminisher right now?

Here is one of my favorite quotes:
“It isn’t how much you know that matters. What matters is how much access you have to what other people know. It isn’t just how intelligent your team members are; it is how much of that intelligence you can draw out and put to use.”
Kristen Court
Nov 23, 2016 Kristen Court rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
Notice the genius in others, call it out, and watch the organizations that you believe in grow and flourish. Loved these simple yet invaluable lessons about leading others to strategic and lasting impact.
Brendan Fry
Mar 11, 2017 Brendan Fry rated it it was ok
Not sure how many time I can read the same message. I could not bring myself to finish this book...
Cameron Glassman
Feb 12, 2017 Cameron Glassman rated it really liked it
Resonates with anyone who has worked for a Multiplier or a Diminisher. Inspiring for the aspiring leader.
Anna
Nov 18, 2016 Anna rated it it was ok
Too long and repetitive for what it is about.
Johan
Nov 13, 2016 Johan rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It has some relevant message but I think overall the book could be far more compact
Andrew
Mar 09, 2017 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership, business
A person's work performance is significantly affected by the style of the manager's leadership. While briefly acknowledging there is a spectrum, the book contrasts a Multipler from a Diminisher. Multipliers give more expectation, freedom, ownership, and responsibility to the people that work for them. Regardless of knowing the answers, Multipliers ask questions to push decision making capability, responsibility, and autonomy.

As other people stated, the book is repetitive and drawn out, but that
Cara
Mar 18, 2017 Cara rated it it was amazing
Wiseman presents her leadership research in an engaging and clear manner. She draws on numerous examples of current leaders in a variety of fields, and offers practical advice for readers looking to become multipliers themselves.
Rickey
This book teaches us that "Multipliers" give opportunities for people to develop their talent and learn skills that will help them in their careers. "Multipliers" also get multiple times the amount of productivity from people. Then, I read in Don't Shoot the Dog that using particular types of reinforcement well, without relying on punishment or elimination so readily, can speed up learning by 8-10x. It seems like they are both advocating a similar approach. Don't Shoot the Dog might be more a pr ...more
Leadership and Ma...: Multipliers vs diminishers 6 42 Nov 02, 2013 05:34PM
  • The Other Side of Innovation: Solving the Execution Challenge
  • Taking People With You: The Only Way to Make BIG Things Happen
  • Open Leadership: How Social Technology Can Transform the Way You Lead
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion
  • Boundaries for Leaders: Results, Relationships, and Being Ridiculously in Charge
  • Transformational Leadership
  • Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within
  • Welcome to the Funnel: Proven Tactics to Turn Your Social and Content Marketing up to 11
  • The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World
  • Topgrading: How Leading Companies Win by Hiring, Coaching, and Keeping the Best People
  • The Wide Lens
  • Greater Than Yourself: The Ultimate Lesson of True Leadership
  • The Opposable Mind: How Successful Leaders Win Through Integrative Thinking
  • What Customers Want: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services
  • Uprising: How to Build a Brand--and Change the World--By Sparking Cultural Movements
  • Tilt: Shifting Your Strategy from Products to Customers

“Perhaps these leaders understood that the person sitting at the apex of the intelligence hierarchy is the genius maker, not the genius.” 2 likes
“THE FOUR PRACTICES OF THE TALENT MAGNET Among the Multipliers we studied in our research, we found four active practices that together catalyze and sustain this cycle of attraction. These Talent Magnets: 1) look for talent everywhere; 2) find people’s native genius; 3) utilize people at their fullest; and 4) remove the blockers. Let” 1 likes