Start by marking “Family” as Want to Read:
Family

Family

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  449 ratings  ·  34 reviews
An essential work for anyone interested in the society and history of modern China! The first half of the twentieth century was a period of great turmoil in China. Family, one of the most popular Chinese novels of that time, vividly reflects that turmoil and serves as a basis for understanding what followed. Written in 1931, Family has been compared to Dream of the Red Cha ...more
Published January 1st 1972 by Waveland Press

To ask other readers questions about Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa SeeThe Good Earth by Pearl S. BuckThe Joy Luck Club by Amy TanShanghai Girls by Lisa SeeThe Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan
Best Novels That Take Place in China
74th out of 260 books — 715 voters
Tao Te Ching by Lao TsuThe Art of War by Sun TzuWild Swans by Jung ChangBalzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai SijieMonkey by Wu Cheng'en
Chinese Literature
38th out of 143 books — 68 voters

More lists with this book...

I LOVED this book in highschool and then it went out of print and I could never find it. I searched used bookstores for years in the early nineties. It came to my mind again this year during our school's book fair and I realized that so much more is available because of the internet and sure enough Barnes and Noble could order me a copy. It's about the Chinese Youth Revolution and the downfall of feudalism basically. It's historical fiction and somewhat autobiographical. I'm reading it again and ...more
Rainah
I was supposed to read this for my Chinese history class, but I never did because of how busy my spring semester became in such a short amount of time. I can honestly say I regret not reading it while school was still going on, though. As soon as summer started, I sat down and began reading it right away and I was engrossed almost instantly.

This book mixes fiction and historical events perfectly. There's enough factual information in it that you're learning while reading, however there's enough
Robert
A great look at early Nationalist Period China, circa May Fourth Movement. Incredibly interesting views on gender roles, equality, superstition, traditionalism, etc. One of the great Chinese novels. Must-read for anyone interested in the development of Modern China.
Tracy
I've been looking for this for years - I read it in college and could never find who wrote it. You try googling books with the word "family" in them. I finally hit the right combo (thanks wiki!!).

Fantastic book! I recommend it to anyone!
Monica
Family by Pa Chin is set in China during the early 20th century. Set during the time of modernization, it tells the story of how Western influence clashed with the Confucian beliefs that had been ingrained in Chinese society for hundreds of years. The story follows the Kao family, which lives in a compound with four generations under its roof. Three brothers in the family, Chueh-hsin, Chueh-hui, and Chueh-min are the focus on the novel. It follows how they learn to live with the changing times, ...more
christopher
Dec 27, 2013 christopher added it
Shelves: 2013
i could feel, i think, the effect/influence that writers like turgenev had in the of writing this.

i thought it was strange that a couple days before reading this i had read things about emma goldstein and peter kropotkin considering the influence they had on the characters in the book (and pa chin).

at one point "several years ago" i had wanted to write something similar to this although focusing less on the social system or moral system or filial system or whatever but looking at relationships
Rachel Terry
Faye Zheng
I probably would have enjoyed this more had I been able to read it in Chinese; the translation was a bit too stilted. Nonetheless, it was a great insight into the social revolution in the 1930s, when more independent-minded youth often found themselves running up against the confining rules and arrangements of their extended families.
becca sporky
This book is great if you want to learn a lot about Asian culture, and more specifically, Chinese culture. It melds old Chinese tradition with modern China, and gives you insight into the way Chinese people think and feel, about their own culture and the world at large. This book uses a few simple metaphors to get it's point across and it's focus especially on the interconnectedness of all the characters and their relationships made me appreciate and understand their culture even more. I think i ...more
Connie
This novel didn't do much for me. The overall plot is about the forming chasm within a family between modernism and tradition. The three protagonists each represent the different routes of adaptation for young adult men regarding loyalty to family and pursuing their love interests. While the storyline gives a lot of insight to the Chinese society's behavior at the turn of the century, I was irked in more way than one by the main protagonist's development. He was such a flat character. Chueh-hui ...more
Serena
Written in the 1930's by prolific writer Pa Chin, this novel is indicative of the struggles that China continues to endure. Set within the home of the affluent Kao family in Cheng-tu, it follows the main character, Chueh-hui through his Westernized (Russianized) thinking which favors anarchism--the complete overthrow of the patriarchal Confucian family system of traditional China. He watches his family fall apart as it seems anyone who adheres to the old ways meets only with tragedy.
Nathan Money
A random book that was required for my Chinese lit class that I actually ended up loving and I don't know why. About a family, 3 brothers in particular, and how they each choose to respond to the demands of nationalist china and how their lives eventually turn out because of it. I can't remember the last book before this one that was required for class that I actually finished - the first time I actually got ahead of schedule for a book and was excited for what happened to them next.
h
as interesting for what it omits as what it includes. a tale centered around political and social unrest in China that nevertheless manages to make interpersonal tragedy the emotional focus. i didn't dislike the book, but i did find it very difficult to sympathize with any of the characters. this is perhaps my own failing for not having much familiarity with Chinese literature.
Wendy E.
While I'm always happy to add another renowned world literature selection to my "have read" list, I didn't love this one. The story is interesting enough. I think the small font and the deadline was a double-edged sword here. I probably wouldn't have finished it if I didn't have to, but that small print was really tough!
Elisa
A Chinese novel focusing on one family at the height of the overthrow of the corrupt/unjust system before Communism. Red China actually really endorsed this novel as evidence for why there needed to be a revolution. Sad circumstances abound.
Fengshiyun
Chinese version of this book has been sitting on my shelf for more than 20 years. After at least 4 attempts to read it, I finally finished it. Depressing but beautiful read. Well deserves its classic status in Chinese literature.
Nikki
I really liked this book, although I'm not going to lie - I think one of my favorite parts about it was that my friend and I went through the book and made a family tree to better follow which character was which.
John Wan
Good look at a family's transition in the early to mid 20th century. A grandfather's totalitarian rule that ruined three generations' happiness to pushing one member to the brink of joining the revolution.
Sisy
Frankly, this book annoyed me a lot. All of the characters seem hypocritical & unlikeable. But then again, what can you expect from revolutionary/anarchist literature?
Sue
A Chinese professor told me this is everyday reading for Chinese students. I really felt like I was a part of the time period,a little histrionic, but enlightening.
Stephanie
This book really pulls you into the characters and their struggles, and while it successfully stands alone, it also makes you want to read the sequel.
Shawnie
I learned so much about Chinese culture and family from this book. It's on my "favorites" list. Was a college class assigned read at CSULB.
Randy Hollenbach
A great story of life in China on the eve of the revolution. It's a tale of growing up not just for the characters but for China itself.
Nate
Beautiful, painful, heartbreaking. Humanizes the Chinese experience of the early 20th century as well as anything I've read.
Shannon Griffin
Interesting peek into Chinese society and the importance, influence and expectations derived from the family unit.
Kaitlin Rose
An intriguing and enlightening look into Chinese life/culture. Interesting and educational.
Ryan
Slightly difficult getting used to the pacing of the novel, but overall a very good book.
Joel
An excellent novel filled with beautiful imagery and deep complicated characters.
Daniel Burton-Rose
This was the most widely available Chinese novel in English for at least a decade.
Becky
  • Border Town: A Novel
  • A Dictionary of Maqiao
  • The Cambridge Illustrated History of China
  • Half of Man Is Woman
  • Jin Ping Mei (the Golden Lotus)
  • The Chinese in America: A Narrative History
  • To Live
  • The Song of Everlasting Sorrow: A Novel of Shanghai
  • The Debt of Tears (The Story of the Stone, #4)
  • Red Dust: A Path Through China
  • Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio
  • Fortress Besieged
  • Three Kingdoms: Classic Novel in Four Volumes
  • Sounds of the River: A Young Man's University Days in Beijing
Ba Jin (巴金) took this pen name from Russian anarchists Bakunin and Kropotkin.

Known also as "Pa Chin"