Start by marking “The Spanish Smile” as Want to Read:
The Spanish Smile

The Spanish Smile (The Spanish Smile #1)

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Lucinda lived like a princess on her father's private island off the coast of California, Isla del Oro. But she was really a prisoner, shut off from the world, never allowed off the island. Then Christopher Dawson, a young archeologist, came to the island and into her life. And Lucinda began to realize the horrifying truth about the island . . . and about her father.
Published December 12th 1983 by Fawcett (first published October 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Spanish Smile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spanish Smile

Julie
This really is one of the weirder books I've ever read. I would have been completely thrown by the plot, except that I accidentally read the sequel first, not knowing it was a sequel. I had to track this down through inter-library loan.

Some of the characters in this book (and its sequel) are BARKING MAD. It's really just nuts. The atmosphere is pretty creepy, but the entire setup makes it hard to pin it down to a time period. At first I would have said it was Victorian, then they would mention c
Spenser White
Jan 20, 2016 Spenser White rated it really liked it
Genevieve
I loved this book as a kid, and was creeped out by it. I'm not sure that it would hold up to rereading now––I may have to . In the perspective from which it's seen and the atmosphere of the self-isolated kingdom, I think it's a bit similar to Nancy Farmer's House of the Scorpion––although the plots aren't connected.
Starry
Sep 03, 2011 Starry rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile, fiction, mystery
I loved this author's book Island of the Blue Dolphins as a kid -- a memorable read with a strong heroine.

This book, which I only just read, also had a strong heroine, but the story is creepy and strange. Can't say much more without giving away the end. Let's just say it's really, really strange.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This book was ok, not one of O'Dell's best, but the first of his books I ever read.
Maysa
Mar 16, 2009 Maysa rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Twisted ending
colleen
Dec 20, 2007 colleen rated it liked it
read 04.21.84
Leeanne
Leeanne marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Oct 28, 2015
Penelope
Penelope rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Hailey
Hailey marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2015
Abygail
Abygail marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Megan Berrett
Megan Berrett marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Kai
Kai marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Rachel Johnson
Rachel Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Heidi Reinhold
Heidi Reinhold rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Chrissy
Chrissy marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Insanitylater
Insanitylater marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Marcy
Marcy marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What's The Name o...: YA Novel: daughter and insane father,[s] 8 36 Jul 14, 2013 05:27PM
Scott O'Dell (May 23, 1898 – October 16, 1989) was an American children's author who wrote 26 novels for youngsters, along with three adult novels and four nonfiction books. He was most famously the author of the children's novel Island of the Blue Dolphins (1960), which won the 1961 Newbery Medal as well as a number of other awards. Other award winning books by O'Dell include The King's Fifth (19 ...more
More about Scott O'Dell...

The Spanish Smile (2 books)
  • Castle in the Sea