Start by marking “The Spanish Smile” as Want to Read:
The Spanish Smile
Preview

The Spanish Smile (The Spanish Smile #1)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Lucinda lived like a princess on her father's private island off the coast of California, Isla del Oro. But she was really a prisoner, shut off from the world, never allowed off the island. Then Christopher Dawson, a young archeologist, came to the island and into her life. And Lucinda began to realize the horrifying truth about the island . . . and about her father.
Published December 12th 1983 by Fawcett (first published October 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Spanish Smile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spanish Smile

Julie
This really is one of the weirder books I've ever read. I would have been completely thrown by the plot, except that I accidentally read the sequel first, not knowing it was a sequel. I had to track this down through inter-library loan.

Some of the characters in this book (and its sequel) are BARKING MAD. It's really just nuts. The atmosphere is pretty creepy, but the entire setup makes it hard to pin it down to a time period. At first I would have said it was Victorian, then they would mention c
Genevieve
I loved this book as a kid, and was creeped out by it. I'm not sure that it would hold up to rereading now––I may have to . In the perspective from which it's seen and the atmosphere of the self-isolated kingdom, I think it's a bit similar to Nancy Farmer's House of the Scorpion––although the plots aren't connected.
Starry
I loved this author's book Island of the Blue Dolphins as a kid -- a memorable read with a strong heroine.

This book, which I only just read, also had a strong heroine, but the story is creepy and strange. Can't say much more without giving away the end. Let's just say it's really, really strange.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This book was ok, not one of O'Dell's best, but the first of his books I ever read.
Maysa
Twisted ending
colleen
read 04.21.84
Marcy
Marcy marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Julia Barnes-brown
Julia Barnes-brown marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Caitlin Monks
Caitlin Monks marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Paulo Jorge Morgado
Paulo Jorge Morgado marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Lillilipan
Lillilipan marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Nicole Gaskins
Nicole Gaskins marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
S Jones
S Jones marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Yuko Hartley
Yuko Hartley marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Maris Mckay
Maris Mckay marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Vimacone
Vimacone marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Sarah Hudgell
Sarah Hudgell marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Elizabeth Bolden
Elizabeth Bolden marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
What's The Name o...: YA Novel: daughter and insane father,[s] 8 34 Jul 14, 2013 05:27PM
Scott O'Dell (May 23, 1898 – October 16, 1989) was an American children's author who wrote 26 novels for youngsters, along with three adult novels and four nonfiction books. He was most famously the author of the children's novel Island of the Blue Dolphins (1960), which won the 1961 Newbery Medal as well as a number of other awards. Other award winning books by O'Dell include The King's Fifth (19 ...more
More about Scott O'Dell...

The Spanish Smile (2 books)
  • Castle in the Sea
Island of the Blue Dolphins (Island of the Blue Dolphins #1) Sing Down the Moon The Black Pearl Zia (Island of the Blue Dolphins, #2) Sarah Bishop