The Spanish Smile

The Spanish Smile (The Spanish Smile #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Lucinda lived like a princess on her father's private island off the coast of California, Isla del Oro. But she was really a prisoner, shut off from the world, never allowed off the island. Then Christopher Dawson, a young archeologist, came to the island and into her life. And Lucinda began to realize the horrifying truth about the island . . . and about her father.
Published December 12th 1983 by Fawcett (first published October 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Spanish Smile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spanish Smile

Julie
This really is one of the weirder books I've ever read. I would have been completely thrown by the plot, except that I accidentally read the sequel first, not knowing it was a sequel. I had to track this down through inter-library loan.

Some of the characters in this book (and its sequel) are BARKING MAD. It's really just nuts. The atmosphere is pretty creepy, but the entire setup makes it hard to pin it down to a time period. At first I would have said it was Victorian, then they would mention c...more
Genevieve
I loved this book as a kid, and was creeped out by it. I'm not sure that it would hold up to rereading now––I may have to . In the perspective from which it's seen and the atmosphere of the self-isolated kingdom, I think it's a bit similar to Nancy Farmer's House of the Scorpion––although the plots aren't connected.
Sharri
I loved this author's book Island of the Blue Dolphins as a kid -- a memorable read with a strong heroine.

This book, which I only just read, also had a strong heroine, but the story is creepy and strange. Can't say much more without giving away the end. Let's just say it's really, really strange.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This book was ok, not one of O'Dell's best, but the first of his books I ever read.
Maysa
Twisted ending
colleen
read 04.21.84
S Jones
S Jones marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Yuko Hartley
Yuko Hartley marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Maris Mckay
Maris Mckay marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Vimacone
Vimacone marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Sarah Hudgell
Sarah Hudgell marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Elizabeth Bolden
Elizabeth Bolden marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Alina
Alina marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Cat Fletcher
Cat Fletcher marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Jennifer Dury
Jennifer Dury marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Chalaina
Chalaina marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Junebug
Junebug marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
What's The Name o...: YA Novel: daughter and insane father,[s] 8 34 Jul 14, 2013 05:27PM
Scott O'Dell (May 23, 1898 – October 16, 1989) was an American children's author who wrote 26 novels for youngsters, along with three adult novels and four nonfiction books. He was most famously the author of the children's novel Island of the Blue Dolphins (1960), which won the 1961 Newbery Medal as well as a number of other awards. Other award winning books by O'Dell include The King's Fifth (19...more
More about Scott O'Dell...
Island of the Blue Dolphins (Island of the Blue Dolphins #1) Sing Down the Moon The Black Pearl Zia (Island of the Blue Dolphins, #2) Sarah Bishop