Start by marking “Season of Promise (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #3)” as Want to Read:
Season of Promise (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #3)

Season of Promise (Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary #3)

In her third and final journal, Elizabeth and her brother, now reunited, grieve the death of their mother, while dramatic changes take place in Jamestown, under the strict leadership of Lord Delaware.

Elizabeth, who is finally reunited with her twin brother Caleb, continues to grieve for the death of her mother in this third and final volume of her diary. And things don't g
Published November 1st 2002 by Scholastic, Inc.

Rebecca
Feb 28, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ten-year-old Elizabeth Barker has been learning to live without her mother, who died during a terrible time of disease and starvation in Jamestown Colony. But now, in the summer of 1610, things are beginning to improve. Elizabeth's twin brother, Caleb, has finally arrived in Jamestown to rejoin the family. But Elizabeth worries that her father wishes to remarry, and that he will choose sour Mistress Whistler. Elizabeth is grateful to Mistress Whistler for nursing her baby sister, Abigail, after ...more
Emily
Mar 05, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
These books are very good at weaving in little details of life in early Jamestown in a way that kids remember them. I quizzed my 7yo son on events, people and facts from this book and he got every one of them. The short diary entries are great "bite-sized" sections that make it easy for children (and adults, for that matter) to follow what's happening and give the reader natural stopping points.

This third book doesn't have the trauma of the "Starving Time" - much of the conflict is interpersonal
Mary Bronson
Sep 11, 2015 Mary Bronson rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. This is the third book in the My America series about 10 year old Elizbeth growing up in the new settlement of Jamestown. She survived the harsh winter but lost her mother. When the second book ends she and her friend Mary saw the supply ship coming to shore. Elizabeth was extra happy because her twin brother Caleb was on that ship. This book was about the happier times that came after the winter but it also presented Elizabeth with some challenges about life ...more
Dolly
May 17, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older children and parents reading with them
Our oldest has been studying about Jamestown a lot this year and she came upon this series of three
diaries by a character named Elizabeth.

She borrowed all three books from her elementary school library, but gave me the third one first (I have no idea why.) I read more than half of the book aloud to our girls, but our youngest tired of the format. I think this is better as an independent read anyway. So I read this one, followed by book #2, The Starving Time. And I think she will bring home boo
Sarah Crawford
Feb 27, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This third book about Elizabeth's living in the Jamestown colony basically deals with the time after the starving time, when other colonists arrived, along with much-needed supplies. People had to re-build their lives after the deaths of so many of the original colonists, so there's a round of marriages as men and women who had lost their original spouses end up marrying again.

There is a problem with the leadership in the colony, though, and some very harsh measures that the main leader has put
Jacqueline
Aug 05, 2014 Jacqueline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
A lot better then the second book! A happy ending.
Molly
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Books Kids Like
There are reasons to grieve and to rejoice during the summer of 1610. Elizabeth rejoices as her twin brother, Caleb, steps off the ship from England. When Caleb learns that their mother died during last winter's sickness, he and Elizabeth shed tears for her loss. But, they soon learn that despite the continued hardships, they can be happy and feel hope for the future.
Patrice
Like the Joshua books, there's a lot of senseless death of innocents, which is both historically accurate and rough for a little kid to read. That said, I think this exposes an interesting window into earlier colonial life.
Lily
Jul 26, 2009 Lily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5th-grade-books
This is the last book of the Elizabeth diaries and i think was my favorite because in the end they are happy, but in a different way from the happiness in the first book.
Mrs. Cassady's Class
Mrs. Cassady's Class marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Amanda Redding
Amanda Redding is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2016
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Emma Brown
Emma Brown rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
Laura Lakovic
Laura Lakovic marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Angela Boland
Angela Boland rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
GabbieDewolfe
GabbieDewolfe rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
BonnieJean
BonnieJean marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Alicia
Alicia added it
Aug 08, 2016
Lexi
Lexi rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
Like Me
Like Me rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Amandalynn
Amandalynn marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Susan Roitmire
Susan Roitmire marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Indigo Summer
Indigo Summer marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • When Freedom Comes
  • An American Spring: Sofia's Immigrant Diary (My America, #3)
  • A Time To Dance (My America: Virginia's Civil War Diary, #3)
  • As Far As I Can See (My America: Meg's Prairie Diary, #1)
  • Freedom's Wings (My America: Corey's Underground Railroad Diary, #1)
  • The Journal of Jesse Smoke : A Cherokee Boy, Trail of Tears, 1838 (My Name Is America)
  • Journal Of Sean Sullivan, A Transcontinental Railroad Worker (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Finn Reardon, A Newsie (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Jedediah Barstow: An Emigrant On The Oregon Trail (My Name Is America)
  • A City Tossed and Broken: The Diary of Minnie Bonner, San Francisco, California, 1906 (Dear America)
  • Three Young Pilgrims
  • The Journal Of Joshua Loper, A Black Cowboy (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Wong Ming-Chung: A Chinese Miner, California, 1852 (My Name is America)
  • The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy (My Name Is America)

Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary (3 books)
  • Our Strange New Land (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #1)
  • The Starving Time (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #2)