Start by marking “Season of Promise (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #3)” as Want to Read:
Season of Promise (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #3)

Season of Promise (Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary #3)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In her third and final journal, Elizabeth and her brother, now reunited, grieve the death of their mother, while dramatic changes take place in Jamestown, under the strict leadership of Lord Delaware.

Elizabeth, who is finally reunited with her twin brother Caleb, continues to grieve for the death of her mother in this third and final volume of her diary. And things don't g
Published November 1st 2002 by Scholastic, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Season of Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Season of Promise

Rebecca
Ten-year-old Elizabeth Barker has been learning to live without her mother, who died during a terrible time of disease and starvation in Jamestown Colony. But now, in the summer of 1610, things are beginning to improve. Elizabeth's twin brother, Caleb, has finally arrived in Jamestown to rejoin the family. But Elizabeth worries that her father wishes to remarry, and that he will choose sour Mistress Whistler. Elizabeth is grateful to Mistress Whistler for nursing her baby sister, Abigail, after ...more
Emily
These books are very good at weaving in little details of life in early Jamestown in a way that kids remember them. I quizzed my 7yo son on events, people and facts from this book and he got every one of them. The short diary entries are great "bite-sized" sections that make it easy for children (and adults, for that matter) to follow what's happening and give the reader natural stopping points.

This third book doesn't have the trauma of the "Starving Time" - much of the conflict is interpersonal
Dolly
May 17, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older children and parents reading with them
Our oldest has been studying about Jamestown a lot this year and she came upon this series of three
diaries by a character named Elizabeth.

She borrowed all three books from her elementary school library, but gave me the third one first (I have no idea why.) I read more than half of the book aloud to our girls, but our youngest tired of the format. I think this is better as an independent read anyway. So I read this one, followed by book #2, The Starving Time. And I think she will bring home boo
Jacqueline
A lot better then the second book! A happy ending.
Molly
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Books Kids Like
There are reasons to grieve and to rejoice during the summer of 1610. Elizabeth rejoices as her twin brother, Caleb, steps off the ship from England. When Caleb learns that their mother died during last winter's sickness, he and Elizabeth shed tears for her loss. But, they soon learn that despite the continued hardships, they can be happy and feel hope for the future.
Patrice
Like the Joshua books, there's a lot of senseless death of innocents, which is both historically accurate and rough for a little kid to read. That said, I think this exposes an interesting window into earlier colonial life.
Lily
This is the last book of the Elizabeth diaries and i think was my favorite because in the end they are happy, but in a different way from the happiness in the first book.
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Leila
Leila marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Leah
Leah added it
Apr 26, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Ashley
Ashley added it
Feb 15, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Samantha Williams
Samantha Williams marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Home at Last: Sofia's Immigrant Diary (My America, #2)
  • As Far As I Can See (My America: Meg's Prairie Diary, #1)
  • When Freedom Comes: Hope's Revolutionary War Diary (My America)
  • Freedom's Wings (My America: Corey's Underground Railroad Diary, #1)
  • After the Rain: Virginia's Civil War Diary (My America: #2)
  • The Journal of Jesse Smoke : A Cherokee Boy, Trail of Tears, 1838 (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Finn Reardon, A Newsie (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of C. J. Jackson, a Dust Bowl Migrant, Oklahoma to California, 1935  (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal Of Joshua Loper, A Black Cowboy (My Name Is America)
  • A City Tossed and Broken: The Diary of Minnie Bonner, San Francisco, California, 1906 (Dear America)
  • Journal of Jedediah Barstow: An Emigrant On The Oregon Trail (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Ben Uchida: Citizen 13559 Mirror Lake Internment Camp (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Wong Ming-Chung: A Chinese Miner, California, 1852 (My Name is America)
  • Hear My Sorrow: The Diary of Angela Denoto, a Shirtwaist Worker, New York City 1909 (Dear America Series)
  • The Journal Of Brian Doyle: Greenhorn on an Alaskan Whaling Ship, The Florence, 1874 (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy (My Name Is America)

Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary (3 books)
  • Our Strange New Land (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #1)
  • The Starving Time (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #2)
My Girl Our Strange New Land (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #1) The Starving Time (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #2) Koda (Horse Diaries, #3) You Shouldn't Have to Say Goodbye