Start by marking “Brood of the Witch-Queen” as Want to Read:
Brood of the Witch-Queen
Read Book* *Different edition

Brood of the Witch-Queen

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Sax Rohmer was the pseudonym used by Arthur Henry Sarsfield Ward. Ward was a British novelist born in 1883. He is most remembered for his series of novels featuring the master criminal Dr Fu Manchu. Other works include: The Sins of Severac Bablon (1914), The Yellow Claw (1915), The Devil Doctor (1916), The Hand of Fu-Manchu (1917), Brood of the Witch-Queen (1918), Dope (19 ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by IndyPublish.com (first published 1918)

To ask other readers questions about Brood of the Witch-Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brood of the Witch-Queen

Vlad
Being a fan of Rohmer's Dr.Fu-Manchu series, I decided to check out another of his pulp works.

Brood of the Witch-Queen seemed like a good candidate; its very name promised adventure and horror! In it, Robert Cairn and his celebrated father, medical genius Dr. Cairn, must fight against the unholy outrage that is Antony Ferrera, a vile and powerful sorcerer resurrected from the dead, and inexplicably adopted by Dr. Cairn's close friend and colleague, Michael Ferrera. There is even a damsel in dis
Mike

The review from afar – No. 22

Re-revised forward to these overseas reviews:
Since emulating a yo-yo, I continue to rely on the old-style Kindle 3G for any non-technical reading. I tip my hat to the fine folks at Project Gutenberg: virtually every title I have or will be reading in the near future comes from them.

The Brood of the Witch-Queen is a return to Egyptian mysteries rather than that of China for Sax Rohmer. (He seems to have split his attention between the two if one disallows the Fu Manch
Carl

Although not the best of Sax Romer’s novels, it certainly is one of the creepier and scarier of his works. Certainly it is a wonderful book for that cold, dark autumn night while sitting by the fireplace. Romer’s "Brood of the Witch-Queen" is set around World War I in post- Victorian England; most of the action is in England with some action taking place in Egypt. I especially enjoyed the blending of science and the supernatural with spiders and other bugs, haunting smells and glowing lights, an
Regina
... I chose to read this book on a whim as it was a free read from Kindle and I was trying to lessen my exorbitant book-purchase costs...

All I can say is that I was pleasantly surprised, albeit slightly weirded out by some of the creepy content of this book. I enjoyed it from start to finish, and especially loved the incorporation of the Egyptian and Egyptology themes. It definitely did not seem as if it was written in the early 1900s! The writing style seems much more modern, in my opinion.

I r
Debbie
The writing in this book felt surprisingly almost modern. I mean, surprisingly for something written almost 100 years ago. I also got the impression that the chapters were published in a series of periodicals, the references to earlier events sometimes felt like the author expected people to have forgotten. Anyway, not much else to say, liked the whole Egyptologist's-ghost-story-deal, pretty good, quick read
Squire
Sax Rohmer is most famous for creating the diabolical Fu Manchu, but he was also a writer of weird and asupernatural tales. This book presents 12 of his wierd fictions and the full-length novel of Egyptian horror, Brood of the Witch-Queen.

All of the weird tales collected here are pulpy, intriguing, horrifying, and very readable. His protagonists spend a lot of their time determining natural causes for the "magical" happenings in the stories--almost as if he's trying to debunk all the weirdness.
Matthew
A wonderful black magic/Egyptian novel that takes place during the early 20th during the height of the Egyptology crazy. For the most part the story in this book is fantastic as the adventure of the main characters takes them from London to Cairo has they chase down and ancient evil force of magic.

There are only a couple of hiccups that make the story less than perfect. First, the character development seems less than realistic. The son in the book never seems to fully grasp the danger of the m
Brandi Marino
This was such a random read for me- was a free choice for Kindle. I'm a lover of all things witchy and underworld, so naturally this caught my eye (and did I mention, it was free?) The book starts off fairly quickly and doesn't waste any time jumping into the supernatural. I wouldn't say that this got me creeped out or anything, but it was interesting enough for me to keep reading past midnight- it felt more like watching a really cooky show. As several have noted the ending is completely stupid ...more
Jeremiah Johnson
Fairly interesting story. Not nearly up to horror standards of today, but it had its moments. Due to this being written in London in the early 1900s, the language can be difficult to follow at times.
I would have given this 3 stars, but the ending was like a Steven King ending - no idea how it should really end so just do something stupid.
Carolyn Wyatt
This book was written nearly a century ago, so maybe that accounts for my negative feelings about it. I guess he was using cheesy phrases and syntax before it was cheesy.
The story is not bad, although it's a little too predictable. My real issue is the use of over-the-top language and lots and lots AND LOTS! of exclamation points. LOTS!
wally
at times, the tone of this story seemed highbrow, hoity-toity, as you're reading along, taking it all in, trying to get a handle on the bad guy...this brood who is....doing things...doing things says something w/o spoiling it...

...and...you're (i was) wondering, why? why is he? well, cause he is the brood of the witch-queen. and so on and so forth. heh heh.

there's some weirdness happening...these unattached hands. kind of an Addams Family sort of thing...remember that show? Was it Thing? or It?
Edward Lengel
Of the ten books by Sax Rohmer that I've read, this is among his best. Originally serialized, it reads like a collection of short stories as the Father-and-son team of Bruce and Robert Cairn hunt the evil magician Antony Ferrara across England and Egypt. Many of the scenes are quite creepy, and must have pushed the envelope for 1918. The heavily dramatic prose and characterizations might deter some readers, and the ending is abrupt; but this book will hold high entertainment value for aficionado ...more
Neil Davies
Wonderful build up of menace throughout the book, and the only thing that stopped it getting 5 stars was that the ending was a bit abrupt. It's also an entertaining way to learn about some of the beliefs and practices of ancient adepts. When reading Rohmer on the occult, it is always worth keeping in mind that he wrote a very good non-fiction book on the subject - The Romance of Sorcery
Beverly Hulin
Unique And Imaginative

Just finished Brood Of The Witch Queen and I can say that the story was highly imaginative and kind of fun to read since it was written so long ago. Some of the scenes were just so unique and strange. I wouldn't call the book particularly scary, but it is well worth reading. The characters are sometimes so overly dramatic as to be rather humorous, but that's just because the story was written such a long time ago - when women were prone to swooning!
Dave Holcomb
Clever, fast-paced little adventure by the creator of Fu-Manchu. In this book, the villain is the son of a 5,000 year-old Egyptian sorceress -- a fun ride, although the ending is very abrupt, almost as if the author had suddenly realized that he was over his work limit or something and had to wrap things up in a hurry.
Dfordoom
Combines the breathless overheated excitement and adventure and the diabolical criminal masterminds of Rohmer's Fu Manchu and Sumuru novels with all manner of fiendish occult wickedness. It’s very very pulpy, it’s campy and it’s trashy, but it’s also fast-paced, clever, ingeniously contrived and thoroughly enjoyable.
Olga
I've read this book first time when I was 12 maybe 15 years old. And I loved it. So when I piked it up few years ago I was very disappointed. Writing was terrible, plot so so, characters plain and whitout any charisma. Maybe in orginal was better, but the translation was average.
Joyce Castanon
was worth reading once...I did not like how the ending was presented and the antagonist's back history was scanty but understandable...the protagonist's back history needed more explanation...
N.R. Tomasheski
An enjoyable collection of horror short stories, as well as the titular novella, mostly having to do with Egyptian (ancient and modern) themes. There is a nice introductory essay by editor S.T. Joshi that places the collection in context of Rohmer's life.

The stories move quickly, and even the most absurd plot is crafted so well as to be enjoyable. Rohmer's style is very much of his era - early 20th century - and serves to drive the momentum and engage one in finding out what will happen. There i
Derek Davis
I first read this when I was 13. The sun was going down and my parents were out. I couldn't move from my chair under they got home, paralyzed with fright.

Oh sure, this tale of a reanimated mummy living in England is dated, over-the-top and at some level ridiculous. But give it to any 13-year-old today at sunset and see what happens when he/she reaches the point where the invisible silken cord...slowly....slowly...NO, I WON'T TELL YOU!
Sven Bridstrup
This is a very interesting book. Very fun to read. It was written a while ago and it comes through in the writing style and dialog. Very antiquated. Basically, this is like "The Mummy" with black magic and such. Dialog is like a mummy movie from the 1940s. The great thing about this book is that it moves right along. Not a lot of time wasted at all. It reads like someone telling you a story. A very creepy story.
Steve Goble
A battle against the supernatural, told in pulp fashion. The novel was serialized, and it reads that way. It commits many pulp sins -- timely coincidences that save the hero's butt, loose ends that never get tied up, characters who withhold information just to keep the suspense going. The ending seems rushed. And yet, it was fun to read, and a young John Malkovich would have been perfect if cast as the villain.
Phil Syphe
Found this rather disappointing. It had great potential but the horror moments failed to unnerve me and often they came across as lackluster or melodramatic.

The characters were not strong enough to make me feel anything for them. The story had some good moments, hence my awarding it two stars rather than one, but on the whole I did not feel engaged by this work. I thought the ending was especially lame.
AndrewP
This is one of Sax Rohmer's non Fu Manchu books. It's very much a period Egyptology, magic and ancient evil story. Set in 1914 in London and Egypt the whole book reminded me of a Hammer Horror movie. If you are into this type of thing then this one is recommended. As with most books of this period it's pretty short at 220 pages so a quick read.
Lyn
What a creepy, twisted thriller. It is set in like Victorian England, with vampires, ancient Egyptian magic and creepy crawly bugs! Very good story, I really enjoyed this story! Not recommended for the easily creeped out!
Mike Mikos
Another fine story by Sax Rohmer. Spooky ancient Egyptian sorcerer shows up in England and uses black magic to kill rich people and acquire their wealth. I have read about 15 Rohmer and loved them all.
Robyne
Really enjoyed this - not a perfect story, but moved along well. Ancient egyptian magic, sorcery, murder, greed... all the things that make for a good read. ;)
Keith
'Brood of the Witch-Queen' is a decent adventure story written about 1918. I read this novel in the 1960's. It involves sorcery and the supernatural.
Heather
horrible horrible horrible writing. it got two stars because there were some really well handled creepy bits, but the writing - OH.MY.GOD.
Catrina
This book was wonderful it had paranormal, history, perseverance and romance. I would recommend this book to other readers.
  • The Ghost Pirates
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • The Witch Of Prague & Other Stories (Tales Of Mystery & The Supernatural)
  • The Lancashire Witches
  • In the House of Five Dragons
  • The Shadow And Night (The Lamb Among the Stars, #1-2)
  • Over The Bridge
  • Eternity's Edge (Echoes from the Edge, #2)
  • First Flight
  • Soul Catcher (The Outsider #1)
  • The Witch and Other Stories
  • The Walled Garden
  • Varney the Vampire
  • Eros, Philia, Agape
  • The Case of Jennie Brice
  • Bright of the Sky (Entire and the Rose, #1)
  • The Dead of Night: The Ghost Stories of Oliver Onions (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural)
  • Prophecy (Slave Empire, #1)
AKA Arthur Sarsfield Ward (real name); Michael Furey.

Arthur Henry Sarsfield Ward (15 February 1883 - 1 June 1959), better known as Sax Rohmer, was a prolific English novelist. He is best remembered for his series of novels featuring the master criminal Dr. Fu Manchu.

Born in Birmingham to a working class family, Rohmer initially pursued a career as a civil servant before concentrating on writing fu
More about Sax Rohmer...
The Insidious Dr. Fu-Manchu The Return of Dr. Fu-Manchu The Hand of Fu-Manchu The Mask of Fu Manchu Daughter of Fu Manchu