Start by marking “Crime Stories” as Want to Read:
Crime Stories

Crime Stories

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The Big Guys - Flash fiction, winner of the Derringer Award. A Fistful of Cozy - A satire of the mystery cozy genre. Cleansing - An ancient crime of biblical proportions. Lying Eyes - Solve it yourself, given the clues. Perfect Plan - Another solve it yourself. Don't you remember One Minute Mysteries and Encyclopedia Brown? Piece of Cake - Another solve it yourself, origin...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Joe Konrath

To ask other readers questions about Crime Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crime Stories

Heather
J.A. Konrath’s Crime Stories is a collection of 21 stories and essays. Some are mysteries or crime stories of one type or another, but humor is much more prevalent. Unfortunately, humor tends to be very much an individual taste thing. Konrath’s humor often feels random, and that usually makes me shrug rather than laugh.

Four of the entries are mystery set-ups to be solved, followed by an explanation of what happened. One had a tell that was a giveaway, and a detail that felt like a plot device. O...more
Jenny
This is a compilation of short stories. They are not all crime stories but they are all entertaining. I especially loved the short stories that had you guess how the crime was figured out. I found myself laughing out loud during a few of the stories. I loved that this was a quick read and still kept me entertained. I do not think that all the stories fit the title of this book and all of them did not appeal to me; however, I think any mystery reader could find some humor in at least a few of the...more
Kayla Thompson
It was a good time killer and it had some witty moments, but it wasn't my favorite book ever
Zig Sleipnir
A mixture of stories, with some that are very funny.
Bill
Not well written and not very humorous.
Janet
Was not impressed with these short stories. I didn't find them humorous at all. In fact, the stories got worse and worse as I continued reading.
Blu
I enjoyed most of the stories - really liked the Solve It Yourself shorts (remiscient of Encyclopedia Brown). I skipped over one or two - namely DON'T PRESS THAT BUTTON and NEWBIE'S GUIDE TO THRILLERFEST. INSPECTOR OXNARD also wasn't a favorite. I loved LIGHT DRIZZLE, AN ARCHAEOLOGIST'S STORY, and WEIGH TO GO. I think I may download the first book in Konrath's Jack Daniels series.
Paige
This collection wasn't as good as the Jack Daniels one. Some of the stories (more noticeable the one about the archaeologist) seemed disjointed and nonsensical and not all were "crime" stories. The solve it yourself, parodies (both the cozies and about being a writer) were enjoyable enough though I still prefer the J.D. short story collection.
Wendy Burke
Another uber quick and super fun read by JA Konrath. Great collection of short stories...many of which will make you laugh out loud.

Especially LOVED the reference to the fictional 'University of Sheboygan.' Born and raised in that small burg along Lake Michigan...LOVED the mention.

On to another Konrath read!
Rick
Really awful collection of short stories. There were a couple of chuckles in there, but for the most part I felt like there is something mentally wrong with the author because of how a lot of the stories end with the main character killing others for no real good reason.
Moondance
I LOVE the Jack Daniels series and wondered about this collection of short stories. I read it in a surgery waiting room and often had to contain my mirth. Very eclectic, odd and just down right entertaining. I think I love you, J.A.!
Georgiann Hennelly
Excellant book, a series of short crime stories, some funny, some well i,ll let you imagine the rest of them don,t want to spoil the book for you. highly entertaining though. couldn,t stop reading.
Leslie Ferrari
Amusing mystery short stories.
Dawna
A great collection of shorts. You know they're gonna be good when they're written by Konrath. Love his work.
Joyce McKune
Reading one or two short stories between books. These got boring after awhile. Wouldn't bother.
Barth Siemens
I read the first two stories. It is quality writing and I personally didn't appreciate the style.
Shelley
Loved these stories! Great fast read of short stories that were interesting and funny.
Genevieve Speegle
Interesting assortment of short-stories. Each one had a very different style.
Sue M
very short crime stories with twists...
Elena Mccullough
Elena Mccullough marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Heather Bishop
Heather Bishop marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Dawn
Dawn added it
Sep 13, 2014
David Ahearn
David Ahearn marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
JA Konrath writes the occasionally amusing and often frightening Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels thrillers, available in hardcover and paperback from Hyperion and as a spoken word from Brilliance Audio.

The books are a mixture of the humor of Janet Evanovich, Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore, but with the scares of James Patterson, Thomas Harris, Patricia Cornwell.

Basically, JA rips off everybody.

In o...more
More about J.A. Konrath...
Whiskey Sour (Jack Daniels Mystery, #1) Bloody Mary (Jack Daniels Mystery, #2) Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4) Rusty Nail (Jack Daniels Mystery, #3) The List