Start by marking “Crime Stories” as Want to Read:
Crime Stories

Crime Stories

The Big Guys - Flash fiction, winner of the Derringer Award. A Fistful of Cozy - A satire of the mystery cozy genre. Cleansing - An ancient crime of biblical proportions. Lying Eyes - Solve it yourself, given the clues. Perfect Plan - Another solve it yourself. Don't you remember One Minute Mysteries and Encyclopedia Brown? Piece of Cake - Another solve it yourself, origin ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Joe Konrath

To ask other readers questions about Crime Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crime Stories

Heather
Sep 04, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
J.A. Konrath’s Crime Stories is a collection of 21 stories and essays. Some are mysteries or crime stories of one type or another, but humor is much more prevalent. Unfortunately, humor tends to be very much an individual taste thing. Konrath’s humor often feels random, and that usually makes me shrug rather than laugh.

Four of the entries are mystery set-ups to be solved, followed by an explanation of what happened. One had a tell that was a giveaway, and a detail that felt like a plot device. O
Tessa Ingram
Feb 08, 2017 Tessa Ingram rated it liked it
I had just finished Konrath's Horror Stories so I had great expectations for this book. Instead I found myself laughing more than anything. It was a great read for humor, but since I was hoping for more of a mystery/thriller read, I felt let down. Still, I would highly recommend this book for some great, unexpected humor. I really enjoyed that part of it.
Beth
This was another audio book for me, and was narrated by Luke Daniels who does a great job performing these short works by Konrath. I enjoyed most of the stories, and many were both clever and funny, often with a cliched "moral of the story" thrown in as a closng line in many of these short stories. The author usually gave a short explanation of either his creative urge, or the market intended for each story. It was refreshing to hear that not all of these stories were accepted for publication th ...more
Jenny
Dec 23, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, library-book
This is a compilation of short stories. They are not all crime stories but they are all entertaining. I especially loved the short stories that had you guess how the crime was figured out. I found myself laughing out loud during a few of the stories. I loved that this was a quick read and still kept me entertained. I do not think that all the stories fit the title of this book and all of them did not appeal to me; however, I think any mystery reader could find some humor in at least a few of the ...more
Kristal
Mar 26, 2016 Kristal rated it liked it
A pleasant surprise

So this is not at all what I had in mind when I began this book, but the quirky humor and unusual twists of these tales were enough to keep me reading. Some of the stories had my rolling my eyes going "ok?". Where the others had me laughing out loud. Entertaining reads for sure.
Wendy Burke
Oct 28, 2012 Wendy Burke rated it it was amazing
Another uber quick and super fun read by JA Konrath. Great collection of short stories...many of which will make you laugh out loud.

Especially LOVED the reference to the fictional 'University of Sheboygan.' Born and raised in that small burg along Lake Michigan...LOVED the mention.

On to another Konrath read!
Paige
Oct 17, 2012 Paige rated it liked it
This collection wasn't as good as the Jack Daniels one. Some of the stories (more noticeable the one about the archaeologist) seemed disjointed and nonsensical and not all were "crime" stories. The solve it yourself, parodies (both the cozies and about being a writer) were enjoyable enough though I still prefer the J.D. short story collection.
Not Now...Mommy's Reading
I enjoyed most of the stories - really liked the Solve It Yourself shorts (remiscient of Encyclopedia Brown). I skipped over one or two - namely DON'T PRESS THAT BUTTON and NEWBIE'S GUIDE TO THRILLERFEST. INSPECTOR OXNARD also wasn't a favorite. I loved LIGHT DRIZZLE, AN ARCHAEOLOGIST'S STORY, and WEIGH TO GO. I think I may download the first book in Konrath's Jack Daniels series.
Moondance
Nov 10, 2011 Moondance rated it really liked it
I LOVE the Jack Daniels series and wondered about this collection of short stories. I read it in a surgery waiting room and often had to contain my mirth. Very eclectic, odd and just down right entertaining. I think I love you, J.A.!
Rick
Oct 08, 2012 Rick rated it did not like it
Really awful collection of short stories. There were a couple of chuckles in there, but for the most part I felt like there is something mentally wrong with the author because of how a lot of the stories end with the main character killing others for no real good reason.
David Blaylock
Oct 03, 2016 David Blaylock rated it liked it
Lots of quick stories.
Sue M
Aug 07, 2013 Sue M rated it it was ok
very short crime stories with twists...
Alana Martinez
Jan 28, 2015 Alana Martinez rated it it was ok
My least favorite book by J.A.....
Lyn Simmons
Jul 24, 2016 Lyn Simmons rated it it was amazing
Entertaining!

I laughed at so many of these stories. Very entertaining. A quick read that will put a smile on your face.
Leslie Ferrari
Dec 28, 2013 Leslie Ferrari rated it really liked it
Amusing mystery short stories.
Sieglinde
Sep 18, 2014 Sieglinde rated it liked it
A mixture of stories, with some that are very funny.
Janet
Jul 10, 2014 Janet rated it did not like it
Was not impressed with these short stories. I didn't find them humorous at all. In fact, the stories got worse and worse as I continued reading.
Shelley
Sep 07, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it
Loved these stories! Great fast read of short stories that were interesting and funny.
Kayla Thompson
Jul 04, 2014 Kayla Thompson rated it liked it
It was a good time killer and it had some witty moments, but it wasn't my favorite book ever
Bill
Apr 08, 2014 Bill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not well written and not very humorous.
Georgiann Hennelly
Mar 27, 2011 Georgiann Hennelly rated it it was amazing
Excellant book, a series of short crime stories, some funny, some well i,ll let you imagine the rest of them don,t want to spoil the book for you. highly entertaining though. couldn,t stop reading.
Mariko Tsubaki
Dec 29, 2015 Mariko Tsubaki rated it liked it
A group of short stories and a few essays. Some laugh out loud funny and a few not so great.
Joyce McKune
May 20, 2012 Joyce McKune rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reading one or two short stories between books. These got boring after awhile. Wouldn't bother.
Dawna
Apr 25, 2013 Dawna rated it really liked it
A great collection of shorts. You know they're gonna be good when they're written by Konrath. Love his work.
Barth Siemens
I read the first two stories. It is quality writing and I personally didn't appreciate the style.
Genevieve Speegle
Mar 18, 2011 Genevieve Speegle rated it liked it
Interesting assortment of short-stories. Each one had a very different style.
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Matt Hickman
Matt Hickman rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2015
  • Horror Stories
  • On the Good, Red Road
  • Ultimate Thriller Box Set
  • The First
  • By Hook or By Crook and 30 More of the Best Crime and Mystery Stories of the Year
JA Konrath writes the occasionally amusing and often frightening Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels thrillers, available in hardcover and paperback from Hyperion and as a spoken word from Brilliance Audio.

The books are a mixture of the humor of Janet Evanovich, Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore, but with the scares of James Patterson, Thomas Harris, Patricia Cornwell.

Basically, JA rips off everybody.

In o
More about J.A. Konrath...