Start by marking “Trying Again: A Guide to Pregnancy After Miscarriage, Stillbirth, and Infant Loss” as Want to Read:

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Trying Again lessens the uncertainties about pregnancy after miscarriage, stillbirth, or infant loss by providing the facts to help you determine if you and your partner are emotionally ready for another pregnancy. It also imparts essential advice about preparing and planning for another baby when you decide the time is right.
Published October 1st 2000 by Taylor Trade Publishing (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Trying Again, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Rachel C
Feb 01, 2009 Rachel C rated it really liked it
Shelves: pregnancy
I found this book informative and full of statistics and data regarding miscarriage, stillbirth & infant loss. The author does a great job of explaining the causes of these types of losses, the odds of them occurring again, as well as things you can do to prevent the losses. She also delves deep into the concerns women have about conceiving again and about actually being pregnant again. Sprinkled throughout are stories of both good and bad things that have happened to real women. A helpful r ...more
Kimberly
Feb 17, 2008 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: couples who have had a misscarriage
Cady
Apr 25, 2008 Cady rated it it was amazing
Very helpful after my loss. Said all the right things and gave me hope again.
Jane Lebak
Oct 15, 2013 Jane Lebak rated it liked it
I reviewed Trying Again for my local infant loss support group after already having a subsequent pregnancy. This book is intended for women who have become pregnant after a loss without really understanding why their babies died the first time or what they can do about it. As such, it's much more medical than I expected, very clinical on a basic level, and without as many personal stories or tips about your emotional state than I would have expected given its length. The medical talk runs the ri ...more
Lyndsey Heng
Jul 31, 2014 Lyndsey Heng rated it really liked it
This book was definitely informative and filled with information. That said, after knowing our daughter had Turner Syndrome and attending a support groups for loss, not much of it was new for me and I was able to skim through it. More valuable were the stories of others who have been through pregnancy after loss and how they felt about it. It's a well-organized book which makes it easy to find and refer to whatever in particular you may need. We are not cleared for TTC yet, but when we are, I wi ...more
Hilary
Jun 30, 2013 Hilary rated it it was ok
I read "Coming to Term" by Jon Cohen first and found it much more helpful. Trying again didn't have much novel information in it(I felt like I could skim through a lot), but there were still some good parts that were helpful. I would recommend Coming to Term over this book, but this one is still worth getting out of the library when you get to the point of thinking of trying again.
Anjenette
Jul 08, 2008 Anjenette rated it really liked it
I read this book several times, my husband and I have gone through 2 miscarriages and losing our precious Jeremiah(born at 24 weeks) Strongly encourage if you have gone through any of the above.
Meghan Wedgeworth
Tried to read this last summer, but decided to give it a year. Not a book I would recommend and not exactly leisure reading. But certainly helpful if that's what you need.
Kimberleena
Jul 19, 2008 Kimberleena rated it it was ok
Shelves: pregnancy-loss
Not very helpful, in my opinion. Tells you ALL the things that can go wrong, but not a whole lot on preventing or easing fears.
Olaine
Olaine marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Rachel
Rachel added it
Jan 29, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Colleen Lizardi
Colleen Lizardi marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Sarah added it
Jan 16, 2016
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Nupur
Nupur marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Michelle Ackland
Michelle Ackland rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2015
Tigi Wendu
Tigi Wendu marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Breanna
Breanna marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Amber Dennison
Amber Dennison marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Abigail Earle
Abigail Earle rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Michelle Van Der Merwe
Michelle Van Der Merwe is currently reading it
Sep 09, 2015
Grishma Bhatt
Grishma Bhatt marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Kathy
Kathy is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2015
Adah
Adah marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Kayla
Kayla rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Empty Cradle, Broken Heart: Surviving the Death of Your Baby
  • Coming to Term: Uncovering the Truth About Miscarriage
  • Grieving the Child I Never Knew: A Devotional for Comfort in the Loss of Your Unborn or Newly Born Child
  • About What Was Lost: Twenty Writers on Miscarriage, Healing, and Hope
  • Baby Dust
  • Birth Skills: Proven pain-management techniques for your labour and birth
  • Do Chocolate Lovers Have Sweeter Babies?: The Surprising Science of Pregnancy
  • 75 Habits for a Happy Marriage: Marriage Advice to Recharge and Reconnect Every Day
  • Up the Duff: The Real Guide to Pregnancy
  • My New Baby
  • The Moon Seems to Change
  • "A" Is for Atticus: Baby Names from Great Books
  • 5 Simple Steps to Take Your Marriage from Good to Great
  • Compost: The natural way to make food for your garden
  • Mean Soup
  • Cinch! Conquer Cravings, Drop Pounds, and Lose Inches
  • Sometimes My Mommy Gets Angry
  • The Wizard of Oz: The Official 75th Anniversary Companion
Ann Douglas is the author of numerous books about pregnancy and parenting including, most recently, Parenting Through the Storm: How to Handle the Highs, the Lows, and Everything in Between. She is also the creator of The Mother of All Books series:

The Mother of All Pregnancy Books: (2nd US edition, July 2012 and 2nd Canadian edition, June 2011)
The Mother of All Baby Books
The Mother of All Todd
More about Ann Douglas...