Start by marking “Cold Dawn (Black Falls, #3)” as Want to Read:
Cold Dawn (Black Falls, #3)

Cold Dawn (Black Falls #3)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  590 ratings  ·  61 reviews
The small town of Black Falls, Vermont, finally feels safe again—until search-and-rescue expert Rose Cameron discovers a body, burnt almost beyond recognition. Almost. Rose is certain that she knows the victim's identity…and that his death was no accident.

Nick Martini also suspects an arsonist's deliberate hand. Another fire killed an arson investigator i...more
Published October 26th 2010 by Mira (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Dawn

Cheryl
You know a book is not for you when you try to read it not once but twice and get no further than about chapter 3. It is made worse when the book you tried to read was done in about a year span. I read or I should say attempted to read the book when I first got it and then as part of my effort to clean up my TBR pile, I picked up the book again and put it down. So I guess I will never find out how this story ends or really began.
Suzanne Barrett
I received this book for review from the Vine program. Here’s my take on it:

This is my second Carla Neggers book to review (and also the second in a series). Cold Dawn is a romantic suspense set in rural Vermont. Neggers does an outstanding job of using atmospheric mood and setting. One can almost feel the cold, the lonely harshness of Vermont in February.

Cold Dawn is the third book in the Black Falls series. Like The Whisper, this story suffered from a cast of thousands where I didn’t know who...more
Melissa
I started reading Cold Dawn not realizing it was book three in a series. I want to be fair since I jumped into a story already in progress but....
Smoke jumpers, paramedics, special forces, search and rescue, secret service, reporter.... Oh my! Each character was so full of drama it was just a bit too much. Also with the exception of Grit, the Navy SEAL, all the characters seemed cold, not just professionally, but also personally. For a group of people that are family and/or grew up together, the...more
Hanna Mammo
I really tried to like this book, I even finished the entire book just to see if it would pick up at all and it failed me. Overall it had a great theme, plot , and setting plus it had the bonus of being part of one of my favorite genres (mystery) yet I still didn't love the book. The main aspect that made me not enjoy the book was that there was way to many characters and events going on at the same time that made the book confusing at times. The setting of the book was in the very small town of...more
Cindy
Cold Dawn promised an adventure in the small town of Black Falls, Vermont, in which a a rugged smoke jumper, Nick, investigates a fire, discovered by a search-and-rescue expert, Rose. Rugged men, strong women, a good mystery, and the beauty of Vermont sounded like a perfect book for me. This is the first book that I read in the Black Falls series. Cold Dawn is a continuation of the previous books in the series, and I found it very difficult to follow the story due to the number of characters, th...more
COLD DAWN is the third and final book in the Black Falls Trilogy. This book includes many characters who were featured in the previous books. However, it focuses mainly on Rose Cameron, the youngest sister of the Cameron brothers who were featured in the first two books, and Nick Martini, best friend of Rose's older brother Sean. It is highly recommended that you read the first two books in the trilogy in order to follow the storyline.

I was very disappointed with this book. There was too much r...more
Jessi
From original review: having not read the recent books in this series, I was completely stymied as to who most of the characters were and trying to keep them straight was WAY more taxing than I wanted in a light romance read.
After re-reading the whole series: There was a lot of review in this book about the happenings of the first two, but not as much as in Cold River. There really are a lot of people to keep track of and it's definitely easier to know who people are if you've read Cold Pursuit...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Cold Dawn is the third installment in the Black Falls series. I haven't read the previous two Cold Pursuit and Cold River but understand the premise of this novel is a continuation of an ongoing storyline in the previous books. It is not strictly necessary to have read them to enjoy Cold Dawn, Neggers provides enough background to put the current plot and characters in context, though I'd recommend it.

Neggers has created a solid mystery, an asassin who likes fire seems to be stalking Black Hill...more
Marg
First off, this is the last book in the series. There are a lot of characters. This book does not stand well on its own. If you have not read the previous books, you will be lost. If you have read the previous books, you may still get lost, especially if you have not read them in a while. There are a lot of characters, and it gets really hard to keep track of them when you are just beginning to read the book. Later on, it is not so bad.

Parts of the book were engaging. Many parts were not. It fel...more
Anita Fleming
I love Grit, Charlie and Sean. You can take the rest of these characters, put them in a basket and shove them off Cameron Mountain! Maybe my frustration has more to do with Carla Neggers' style of writing a story backwards. I just read Sean and Hannah's story, Cold River, and it was an excerise in frustration also. Now, Cold Dawn is set no more than a month later and relates events that have never taken place in either of the two previous books. To top that, there are no viable suspects for the...more
~Leslie~
This is the third and final in the Black Falls series. I have read other Carla Negger's books and was prepared for the reserve of the characters, but it seems extreme in this novel. Being the third in a series and being the first one I've read in the series, I expected some difficulty in connecting to the story and the characters, but Cold Dawn had so many characters and so many storylines that it was doubly difficult. Rose is a search and rescue volunteer and dog trainer. She is the youngest an...more
April
COLD DAWN by Carla Neggers is a romantic suspense set in present day Black Falls,Vermont. It is the third in "Black Falls" series (#1 Cold Pursuit,#2 Cold River) but can be read as a stand alone.It is well written,with a intriguing plot,characters that will charm your pants off and keep you on the edge of your seat. It has danger, romance,passion,murder,adventure,suspense,tragedy,FBI,smoke jumpers,search and rescue,unhealed wounds,healing, finding love,diabolical killer,what else do you need?
The...more
Ns
Carla Neggers is in her element creating mysteries that are interesting and steeped in suspense. Her mysteries are simply that; I don't consider them as romantic suspense, and although there is an element of romance it's more perfunctory than plot-driven.

Cold Dawn continues the mystery of arson, murder and secrets in the small Vermont town of Black Falls, in which many familiar characters are involved in one way or another. It would help to read the books in order as plots from earlier books ar...more
Pattianne
Cold Dawn - Black Falls #3 - (Nick and Rose) - Rose finds a burned body and with Nick they find the killer and each other).

Cheryl
I could not finish this book - it was so weak. :( It is clear that the author has written about these characters before, and this is the first one in the series I'm reading, so I'm not reading in the correct order. But, there are so many characters thrown at the reader, and the connections are so unclear. The timeline is incorrect, too, at times, based on what characters are saying. The author is very repetitive in the ideas she's trying to get across to the reader, and in other ones, too vague....more
Courtney
First off, this is book 3. & last book in series. There are LOTS of characters. YOU MUST READ BOOKS 1 & 2 or you will be lost. There are a lot of characters, and it gets really hard to keep track of them when you are just beginning to read the book. Tried to read & couldn't keep up
Stephanie Strausberger
Unfortunately, although I love a good mystery, I had to push through this entire book. The story just never grabbed hold of me. I couldn't keep track of the characters. I did finish the book; just can't seem to stop reading a story in the middle.
Dwayne Wojtowicz
Not a good read.

I wasn't happy with the coast-to-coast jumping; the characters were hard to follow; the whining in Rose's voice.

Just not the novel to read.
Iris Blobel
My first book by Carla Neggers and I am aware of the fact that this story is part of a series, but still ...

It took me an awful long time to get into the story. It was drawn out and loooong and lots of people involved in many places. Confusing. For a little summary you need to go by the blurb, I wouldn't have a clue how to write one.

All in all, the plot was okay and kind of different from other books I've read, which made it interesting for me, but as I said above ... IMHO it needed a bit more...more
Mona
In Cold Dawn, Carla Neggers has crafted an absorbing tale of suspense that kept me guessing till the very end. She deftly managed to spread suspicion to almost every character in the book and throw in a few red herrings, too. The romantic angles had plenty of tension and she carried it nicely throughout.

Not your everyday romantic suspense, there were more plot twists than I would have thought possible, but she left no annoying loose ends. Her characters were multi-dimensional and by the end of...more
Sheila
Seemed to repeat more than necessary to bring it together if the other books hadn't been read.
Kelly
I read this book out of order, but even so, it was very confusing and had too many characters.
Renee Cook
good book, wish i would have realized it was the third part, before I started reading, just for the volume of characters; that being said, it didn't hinder the story to much.
Marti
I found this confusing and boring, rather than exciting. The setting changes from Vermont to Beverly Hills, California. There is one large family with a lot of smoke jumpers, and someone is going around committing arson and burning people to death, A character named Rose, who has a search and rescue dog named Ranger, seems to have slept with most of the male characters. I cannot recall if I have read anything else by Carla Neggers before, but I doubt that I'll search for more of her books.
Diane
Read this book without reading the first two books in the series; wish I had. It was hard to follow all the inter-twined relationships and past history of the arsonist. The book had several missed spelled words and grammatical errors. I'm far from an english major and was still able to spot them while reading the story. But this book still saved a long boring flight without inflight entertainment.
Carol
It was an OK story - a little confussing in the way it was writen but OK. But, I should have looked more carefully on the cover for the words: Romantic Sounds Audio. That would have warned me. The sex was kept totally under control until the last little bit and then the graphic sex scene had to inserted, I guess it's just the way of romances. YUCK!
Tina Long
I didn't realize this was the last book in a series when I began reading it. There are a lot of characters to keep track of with backstories that must've been fleshed out in the previous books. I enjoyed the story, but there were just too many subplots to keep up with. Good book, but not enough to motivate me to read the others in the series.
Joy
Read this without having read the other books in the series, and was occasionally bewildered by references to earlier events. Clearly this is a series that should be have been read in order! Neggers evokes the rural Vermont setting well, but aside from that, this is pretty generic romantic suspense.
Starket
This was a little confusing because I apparently missed one of the books in the series. My recommendation is to read the books in ordcer. That will make the story easier for any reader to follow. Otherwise you are left very confused with the characters and plot that ties all 4 of the books together.
Harriet
This seems a transitional or catch-all book - too big a cast of characters and too many mentions of what had happened previously. I definitely would've read the earlier two books first, if I had known of them. In spite of these things, this was a fairly nice read of a Vermont winter, and an arson mystery.
  • On the Edge: WITH Capsized AND Shelter Island AND Bougainvillea
  • The Perfect Murder (Last Stand Series,  #6)
  • Indefensible (Kate Lange, #3)
  • Born To Be Wild
  • Swept Aside
  • Against the Law (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #3)
  • Blackberry Summer (Hope's Crossing #1)
  • Tall, Dark and Deadly (Tall, Dark and Dangerous #9-10)
  • Last to Die (Sheridan, #2)
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me  (Secrets of Shadow Falls, #3)
  • Black at Heart (Black CATs, #3)
Carla Neggers has been spinning stories ever since she climbed a tree with pad and pen at age eleven. Now she is the New York Times bestselling author of almost 70 novels, with millions of books sold in over 30 countries. Her popular Sharpe & Donovan romantic suspense series featuring FBI agents Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan launched with Saint’s Gate in 2011 and has been praised as “a breatht...more
More about Carla Neggers...
The Widow (FBI, #1) Cold Pursuit (Black Falls, #1) Cold Ridge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1) Secrets of the Lost Summer (Swift River Valley, #1) Breakwater (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #5)