Start by marking “The Matchmaker” as Want to Read:
The Matchmaker

The Matchmaker

Upon the request of Queen Marianna, Joss has traveled home with her to analyze the small group of men who are her closest friends. The men immediately resent the presence of a stranger intent upon asking personal questions, especially as Joss bears the title of Matchmaker and they are all quite available for matching...
Published January 2010 by Less Than Three Press

To ask other readers questions about The Matchmaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Matchmaker

Exina
The most infuriating story I’ve read lately.

The characters are not engaging, I didn’t like to read their portfolios.
The storyline is dull, the writing is repetitive and distant.
The matches are undeveloped, especially the one between the Matchmaker and Sorrell.

I couldn’t feel the attraction, there was no romance. The Queen was reported that Michael adores her, so she went “Oh, well, so I marry him.” It seems so stupid.

Cole Riann
Aug 03, 2011 Cole Riann rated it it was amazing
I loved this! Probably my favorite of Megan Derr's short stories.

I love a story that deals with the political machinations of a large group of people (like here, at a royal court), the characters are always so interesting and layered, which is something that Megan Derr always does well, and excels at in short format. Here however, she has outdone herself with such a tightly contained story. Many authors could have written this story, but taken three times the length to do it, with brooding angst
Sala Bim
Love this author, love her books, love her writing, love her non-explicit sex/nobels/royalty/enemies-to-lovers/opposites attract themes, but I didn't enjoy this story. I'm not a fan of "reformed sluts" so for obvious reasons this wasn't my cup of tea. I guess I just wanted the main character to stick to his principals, do his job, and go back home without seeking the validation of a man, but if need be, at least not a creep like Sorrell. There were literally no redeeming qualities about him and ...more
Ravyn
Ok, I'll just say I'm sorry in advance, but I've got to be honest...

I really didn't like this story at all.

I know, I know, it's MEGAN DERR. Who normally I love. The writing was good of course (as per usual). But this particular story and its characters were just a total miss for me.

So what was the problem? Well, generally speaking, I really wasn't feeling the romance. At all. In any way. There are 4 different romantic couples that end up getting together in this short story, so you'd think there
L-D
Jun 08, 2012 L-D rated it really liked it
Joss is a matchmaker whose intuition and ability to read people makes his matchmaking-skills highly valued within his kingdom. When the Queen of a neighboring kingdom requests his services, he travels to help Queen Marianna find a suitable marriage prospect among the men that she loves and trusts the most. When Joss arrives, however, he is disconcerted to find that all of Marianna's male friends are quite reluctant to be the focus of a matchmaker's attentions. Joss must use his powers of ...more
Edina Rose
Jun 10, 2012 Edina Rose rated it really liked it

Since I read "The Protector", this is exactly what I'm looking for when I read a Megan Derr story. Like "The Protector", this is an enemies-to-lovers story and the verbal match is to die for. They want to kill each other as much as they want to fuck each other and they do not pull their punches. Each time they meet, they fight, and they fight dirty!

The only thing I regret is that the emphasis was put more on showing the hate than showing the lust, and when they finally got together the book en
Anna
Oct 19, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
Wow, I really really liked this one. I just love Megan Derr's world buildings in each book I read of hers. Her characters are also one of the aspects that really makes me like her books. They're each unique and really enjoyable to read about. As for this novella, I just wish it was longer, or that there'd be a sequel at least. I'd really like to know how things work out with Joss and Sorrel.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Jan 02, 2012 Mandy*reads obsessively* rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, ebook-owned, short
I always enjoy Megan Derr's stories, this was no exception.
Joss, a matchmaker is hired by the Queen to find a perfect match for her, but succeeds in doing much more.
My only complaints would be, a bit more of Joss and Sorrel together, possibly without all the antagonism, and some spelling/word mistakes.
Dee Wy
Feb 12, 2015 Dee Wy rated it really liked it
Delightful short story by Ms Derr. It seems matchmaking is hard work, but since Joss has the talent for it, he comes up with some very interesting observations. Really enjoyed how this all played out, especially for the matchmaker himself.
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Jun 29, 2013 Emanuela ~plastic duck~ rated it really liked it
Anticipation, anticipation, anticipation. The story has an opposite-attracts theme. Joss is a matchmaker: in his country he matches people, for love, interest, whatever reason upon which someone wants to find someone to share the rest of their life. He's so skilled that the widowed Queen of another country summons him to find a suitable husband for her. Among the possible matches, he meets a man who's his opposite: while Joss believes in love and works toward it, Sorrel believes true love ...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I really loved this book. I know I say that a lot but this one has to be on my top ten list.

The fact that Joss and Sorrel hated each other from the beginning appealed to me the most. The idea of a 'matchmaker' for the Queen was also interesting and the fact that it was set in a different world but still had a historical feel to it with no smexing made this something I'll be re-reading more than once. :-)
Lady*M
Oct 30, 2011 Lady*M rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, m-m-romance
I don't know how many times I've read this one. It's one of my favorite 'opposites attract' stories as well as comfort reads. I loved the concept of matchmaker and enjoyed seeing Joss in action - bringing the couples together. Of course, he had to find his own match in Sorrel. You would have to be cold as ice not to melt when Sorrel said he would pay Joss's price. Awwww! LOL. I also liked the witty dialogue and other characters. The story packs a lot for less than 60 pages. Highly recommended.
M'rella
I love Megan Derr, but this one is pretty disappointing. There is no chemistry between the characters. Not between MC, not between other pairs, who are "romantically" involved. A very frustrating read for me.
2.5 stars.
Kathleen
Delightful shorter story, but typical Megan-Deer lack of fundamental editing. Misspellings, missing words, and poorly applied punctuation that constantly kicks a reader out of the story. I find this lack of attention to quality very disrespectful.
Kou Namiya
Oct 03, 2016 Kou Namiya rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed it! I love the rake/playboy type that gets 'tamed' (if done right) and in this case here I didn't think Sorrel was that hopeless a rake either, with his backstory and all. He just needed someone stubborn to convince him that love was still possible.

I consider it a whole with the several short extras on the author's site: they satisfy anybody who might think the book ends too early, or who'd like to see more of the relationship that Joss and Sorrel would have!
Barb ~rede-2-read~
This is ths story of Joss, a highly respected matchmaker in his own country where men of his profession are valued for their talent. He travels to Queen Marianna's court to help her choose a new husband from among her closest friends and advisors. They, of course, are not aware of this. Though he knew it would be difficult in this country where matchmakers weren't as highly respected, he encounters more hostility than he anticipated. He's especially shunned and treated with hostility and ...more
Anna
Jul 26, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
4,5 stars.

Megan Derr makes our hearts beat a little faster with this book. Joss, an extremely good Matchmaker, is invited by Queen Marianna of a neighboring kingdom to help her find the best suitor to marry her, from among four of her friends. Reluctant to help at first, the men end up accepting Joss's presence in the castle, and even his help. However, one. The Queen's cousin, Sorrel, has been known to bed anyone we wishes with no regards to the person's personal engagements. Not believing in l
Lorraine
Sep 02, 2015 Lorraine rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Megan's Matchmaker, Joss made me smile with his little notes about the various possible candidates for marrying the Queen, and Sorrel was fantastic as a rake. But beneath the surface, each of the main characters, Joss, Marianna and the 5 marriage candidates are damaged in some way, they each have secrets, there are misunderstandings to be rectified, and Joss as the outsider into their network, sees what the others can't or don't want to acknowledge.
A wonderful romance
Jage
Jan 04, 2015 Jage rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, slash, novella
This was a decent read, the main character was likable and the plot was something I was in the mood for but I wish it had been longer and fully fleshed out the relationship of the main characters versus showcasing why they weren't compatible and then making us believe that the attraction they felt was based on love.

It just felt like considering the content of the story it would've been more believable if we had seen them fall in love over time, this was a story that a slow build would've worked
Sherry
Jan 07, 2012 Sherry rated it it was ok
More than 2 but not quite 2.5 stars. This is the 2nd story I've read by this author and have already noticed the formula. One of the MCs "rolls his eyes" constantly and is rather naive and sweet while the other is the strong one who does all the pursuing. So far, they've kind of reminded me of the books that Barbara Cartland put out every 3-4 months! Or watching a Disney movie.

It's not bad but not great. Even for a very short story, the characters seem very flat and the resolution/wrap up rushed
Mandi
Jun 18, 2011 Mandi rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorites by this author. Her world building is stunning (witnessed in every book I've read by her) and you fall in love with her characters. This book is no exception. Historical setting (but with the difference of same sex couples are common) witty dialogue, engaging characters. For such a short book, this one has it all. There's no sex, but you feel each characters emotions strongly.

Really, I just can't recommend this one enough. :)
Kati
Sep 09, 2011 Kati rated it really liked it
Another sweet gay fantasy romance by Megan Derr. I loved all the couples, both het and gay, they were all different enough to be interesting. I think my favorite pairing was Lyle and Eustace - I have a weakness for professors ;)

Yet I couldn't give it 5 stars, despite liking it very much, because of all the typos. The author really needs to get a better editor, the mistakes were quite annoying (and not just in this book).
Adrienne -kocham czytać-
I have a love affair with Megan Derr's works, so this fit right into that special place in my heart, however this one felt really rushed and simplistic at the end. I would have liked that part to be stretched out a good deal and more hard-won--on the other man's part, not Joss's--but it was still a good short story, though. Funny, vastly entertaining (except for the disappointing ending), and I absolutely love these little worlds that Derr creates!
Kavisha
Feb 27, 2013 Kavisha rated it did not like it
hmmm, I felt that the book was incomplete. I wanted more. I mean Sorrel and Joss didnt even really start a relationship did they? So that was really annoying. I felt like I just read the begining of a story that had the words "fin" attached to it at the end of chapter 5 or something. Not my favorite.
Sarah LaGioia
Apr 05, 2014 Sarah LaGioia rated it really liked it
Cute short story with interesting characters. The writing style was smooth and engaging although there were some editing issues. I actually would have liked to see more of this, but what was there was satisfying.

There were also several rather quotable conversations in the text, but I will not be putting those up as they are spoilerish.
Jane (PS)
May 01, 2014 Jane (PS) rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm

I love Derr's stories; and I loved the antagonist struggle in this story. It took time, even in this short story. My only gripe - no HEA. I would have loved to know how everything absolutely ended :)
Josephine
Nov 04, 2013 Josephine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-bl-yaoi
Kelsi Martin
Apr 15, 2014 Kelsi Martin rated it it was amazing
The matchmaker was not what I expected but I was happy all the same, joss's interactions with sorell was what I looked forward to the most I admit I expected a much more softer romance between them but I am happier that it was the opposite.
Annis
Mar 19, 2013 Annis rated it really liked it
A fun little romp with likeable characters and plenty bickering. It can't really stand up to close inspection, but it was exactly what I wanted today. I particularly liked the end - it was nice to have it end at the beginning of a potential relationship rather than an established romance.
Merith
Apr 01, 2011 Merith rated it it was amazing
Oh another witty, fun read! The Matchmaker held no surprises, but the expected was revealed in such a lovely way. Sweet and highly entertaining.
  • That Famous Happy End
  • Fairytales Slashed 4
  • Arson of the Heart
  • Azure Seas & Dragon Isles
  • The Luxury of Vengeance
  • The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)
  • Goblins, Book One
  • Consorting With Dragons
  • Mariner's Luck (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #2)
  • Cinder: A CinderFella Story
  • Raven and the Wolf (Eyrder Saga, #1)
  • By Chance Met (Chronicles of Ylandre, #3)
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com