Start by marking “Jail Bird” as Want to Read:
Jail Bird

Jail Bird

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  495 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Murder, loyalty and vengeance collide in Jessie Keane’s gritty fourth novel.

Lily King has spent years behind bars

Convicted of murdering her husband, London villain Leo King, she hasn’t been missed. Everyone believes she got what she deserved, but Lily knows she was fitted up.

Published May 27th 2010 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Jail Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jail Bird

Best Crime Books & More
Jun 19, 2012 Best Crime Books & More rated it it was amazing
Jessie Keane is an author that had her debut novel `Dirty Game' published in 2008. It was the first in the Annie Bailey series of books and was followed by `Black Widow' and `Scarlet Women' in 2009.

I read her first book and was hooked. Annie Bailey was such a great character and I was fearful that Jessie Keane would follow the all too predictable path that others do of relying too much on a good thing.

After reading all three in the Annie Bailey Series I was even more worried. How on earth could
Book Addict Shaun
Wow. After losing my way with reading I couldn't get into anything, but it just shows that if you pick the right book you can enjoy reading again. And what a book this was. Jessie Keane is a fantastic author, and I don't think it's possible for her to write a bad book! Most authors have a few hiccups along the way, maybe get a bit lazy, but I can't see that happening here, every single book of Jessie's has been a five star read for me, absolutely unputdownable books that you want to scream about ...more
Elaine
Apr 13, 2016 Elaine rated it liked it
Easy read but no real surprises and too many things either I don't fully "get" or I think are unbelievable ! Still nice break from books you have to think about
Jul 01, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, favourites
I thought same old same old when i started reading this. I've read a few Martina Cole and thought here we go. But then I thought - why is that a bad thing because I enjoy her books too. I loved this book - the ending was great and it's a real page-turner. Am looking forward to reading all her other books now I've discovered her
Julia Charles
Apr 30, 2012 Julia Charles rated it it was amazing
First book I purchased on my new kindle, and I read it in just over 24 hrs. I could not put it down and it's so true what the publishers say, if you like Martina Cole you will LOVE this! It is so fast paced, and has you guessing right to the very end. Fantastic!
Lainy
Aug 16, 2013 Lainy rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - 1 day

Publisher - Harper (Harper Collins Publishers)

Blurb from Goodreads

Murder, loyalty and vengeance collide in Jessie Keane’s gritty fourth novel.

Lily King has spent years behind bars

Now she’s out, and she doesn’t do forgiveness. In her absence, things have moved on and the old order has changed. But now she’s rea
Michael Smith
Aug 22, 2011 Michael Smith rated it really liked it
My thump-up all the way to the last page. Jail Bird has a compelling story line, drama and twists. The characters are engaging and come alive as I turn the pages.

Just out of prison with mystery still surrounding the exact circumstances of the murder of Leo King, Lily shows character and tenacity in finding out who murdered her husband.

Lily’s daughters Saz and Oli are aslo outstanding and shows genuine emotions, though I don’t think that Saz coming at her mother with a knife like she did comes
Kayleigh
Sep 13, 2015 Kayleigh rated it really liked it
This was very much in the vein of Martina Cole (but i suppose most books in the Crime genre get that comparison) and that was just as well because i really enjoy her books.
This held my attention nicely. I feel like the idea was stronger than the execution but this was not a bad read at all. I could have done without the epilogue with it's 'shocking twist' because i didn't really see why it was necessary, the story had rounded itself up nicely but that said, it didn't ruin it for me.
I'd definit
Laura Osborn
Dec 18, 2015 Laura Osborn rated it really liked it
if you like Martina Cole, you will love Jessie Keane. Good storyline, its a book you can not put down. I will be looking out for Jessie Keane books in the future, really worth a read if you like crime stories.
Erica Hudson
Aug 29, 2014 Erica Hudson marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Diane Sophis
Apr 04, 2016 Diane Sophis rated it it was amazing
A must read for everyone who can read. I couldn't put it down!
Gina
Jan 20, 2016 Gina rated it liked it
Nice easy read great holiday book and easy to get engrossed
Beth
Jan 02, 2016 Beth added it
Another great book by Jessie, kept me guessing till the end
Sarah Murphy
Feb 07, 2014 Sarah Murphy rated it liked it
Can be slow but still want to read more from this author
Winter Sophia Rose
Feb 11, 2015 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Action, Plot Twists & Suspense! I Loved It!
Kay Rojo
Sep 28, 2014 Kay Rojo rated it liked it
An entertaining easy read with a few twists.
Pauline Oshea
Nov 06, 2014 Pauline Oshea rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book,
Grace
Jan 26, 2016 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read

This was the first book written by this author and although you can see in her later books that her style is more polished, it was a good story. The first book that I read by Jessie Keane and I loved it and have since read many of her books. She is similar to Martina Cole but different enough to make a difference and her books for me are always entertaining.
Bev
Jan 04, 2014 Bev rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-read
Fab book to start my year of reading off. Love the storyline and love Jessie Keane's writing, can't wait to read more!
Kerry
Jan 26, 2012 Kerry rated it it was amazing
enjoyed this more than I thought I would and I will be reading some more of her books. Great twist at the end and good suspence, some parts of the story where a bit irrelevent and didnt add much to the story but apart from that would really recomend it.
Jackie White
Jul 26, 2015 Jackie White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How would you feel if you'd done 12 years for murdering your husband when you didn't kill him?

That's the basis for this book by one of my favourite authors who's up there with Martina Cole when she was at her best.
Tammi Ashbee
Dec 12, 2014 Tammi Ashbee rated it really liked it
Oh my god ! Couldn't put this down needless to say I didn't get much sleep. What a great story line. It's amazing how much stronger a person will become when they are accused of something they didn't do.
Jue
Jul 06, 2010 Jue rated it it was amazing
Another Brilliant book by Jessie. Once again I could not turn the pages over fast enough, an exciting, heart racing murder mystery. Can't wait for the next book to come out.
Joanne Rawson
Apr 08, 2013 Joanne Rawson rated it liked it
I liked the book, not as fast going as i thought. I was not expecting the ending, which was a good twist. Will read more of Jessie.
Sam
Jul 15, 2013 Sam rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous book from this author. There aren't many books where I'm compelled to keep reading. I could not put this down.
Lynn
Oct 19, 2010 Lynn rated it really liked it
strange book thought i wouldnt like it but in the end i couldnt put it down, got it on e book from library, fantastic
Diane Hadley
Jun 28, 2012 Diane Hadley rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, if your a fan of Martine cole. Then you will love jessies books
Dee Nunn
Feb 02, 2013 Dee Nunn rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fabulous, will be adding Jessie Keane to my fav authors list!
Gemma
Aug 06, 2013 Gemma rated it liked it
Easy, believable book. It's not too much. Can't put it down.
Emma Juggins
May 13, 2015 Emma Juggins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it's a well written easy book.... I couldn't put it down!!
  • Two Faced
  • The Schemer
  • Taken
  • Dangerous Lady (Maura Ryan, #1)
  • The Villain's Daughter
Now what about me? I’ve done a lot of writing, but way back before I even dreamed I could be a professional writer I was just the youngest in a big family. My Dad was a surveyor with an edge of brilliance. My Mum was from gipsy roots and used to drive around in a goat-cart (yes, really!) when she was little. Once we were rich (although I didn’t know it then, and it was all thanks to my Dad’s ingen ...more
More about Jessie Keane...