Start by marking “Or Is That Just Me?” as Want to Read:
Or Is That Just Me?

Or Is That Just Me?

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  383 ratings  ·  36 reviews
More of the wry, honest, and often hilarious chronicles of Richard Hammond—TV host, adventurer, and general drawer of the short straw. Continuing whereAs You Doleft off, Hammond focuses on just a few of the many hair-raising stunts, expeditions, and encounters heexperienced over the last eventful year. ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Phoenix (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Or Is That Just Me?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Or Is That Just Me?

Steve Mitchell
Richard Hammond is approaching his fortieth birthday and this is the book that retells the events of that year. The book is actually quite witty - even occasionally laugh out loud funny – and told in a very conversational style. You can almost picture Hammond sitting in the saloon bar with his mates telling this collection of anecdotes over a pint and a pasty. That said, this book is very disjointed and does not flow with the narrative style that made On the Edge such an enjoyable read. I would ...more
J
I went into this book having recently read 'On the Edge' and 'As You Do', both of which I absolutely loved. 'On the Edge' for its truly inspirational story and for allowing the reader to get to know about the ups and downs Hamster went through on his journey to recovery (especially as it wasn't widely reported on in Australia) - not only from his perspective but also from Mindy's - and 'As You Do' for the additional behind the scenes details and anecdotes of some of my favourite Top Gear challen ...more
Grey853
Courtney
I read this book a few months back and just now realized I hadn't posted a review. And I'd meant to. But I'm much too lazy to remember what I wanted to say now, so I went back and found something I'd said on my blog about it and I'll just copy and paste that here, shall I?

"So I’m reading this book currently, okay?

And I went after work a little bit ago and ordered dinner, and it was going to take like 15 minutes or whatever so I went and sat in a booth and read my book.

After a while I heard the g
I'm sad to say this book was poorly writen (unlike his other books). He's waaay to chatty and not in the style that's easy to read. He repeats so much of the same stuff through out the chapters that I started to find myself losing interest very quickly.

If this book was a collection of newspaper/magazine articals then maybe I could forgive the amount of repeating but sadly this isn't the case. One thing I did A LOT was re-read pages and to me that's a sign the book isn't well writen. I don't exep
John Mcpheat
Audrey
I would recommend this book even if you do not regularly watch any of Richard Hammond's shows. He has lived a very interesting life and his telling of it is both hilarious and educational.
Kylie Martin
Sorry for the poor result - i'd love to give it more but struggled.

I loved the previous Richard Hammond books, but this one was just tedious.

The first half of the book is nothing but whining about medical complaints, appendix, kidney stone, then later landing on a bunch of keys and then we cannot forget the upcoming 40th.

The 40th was constantly harped on about through the whole book and was just damn annoying by the end.

The later half of the book did pick up and some of the incidents were quite
Stef
Dec 31, 2009 Stef rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Richard Hammond and/or Top Gear
Far better than last year's As You Do Adventures With Evel, Oliver, and The Vice-President Of Botswana. An interesting read, borderline captivating (mostly because Richard Hammond is accident prone and very, very prone to making a fool of himself).

Also, you know how all men, irregardless of real age, are pretty much ten years old? This book is written by a ten year old, approaching forty. It makes for a somewhat hilarious combination.
Riss
I'd like to point out that I read On The Edge before this one so my standers were a bit high. This is about Hammond moaning about getting old, and though its quite funny, its a bit too forgetful if you ask me. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it, but I dont really remember the book well. What I do remember is that Hammond has had alot of accidents that he's gone in depth in telling in this book.(A little too in depth at times if I'm being honest. Dear Hammond, please theres no need to be so honest w ...more
Jess
Still not quite sure why my brother bought me this book for my Christmas present last year ... might have been something to do with the blurb on the back of the book that mentioned something about "approaching 40 ..."
Heh heh!
But after getting through the first couple of chapters, I actually really starting enjoying each story as Richard told it, in his own unique style! Most were funny, some were sad, but all gave an interesting and enlightening insight into one of the UK's top TV characters.
I
Helene Harrison
ISBN? - 9780297855217

General Subject/s? - Biography / Top Gear / Cars

Title? - No doubt, Hamster feels that he experiences what no one else does.

General Analysis? - I think this one was funnier than the previous of Hamster's autobiographies As You Like It although my favourite is still On the Edge. Hamster does seem to have a knack for writing, and it really comes across here. I love he manages to bring through some of the humour that is present on TV to the book.

Recommend? – Not as good as On th
Lynnevvgmail.com
He is so funny... He writes like he talks!
Kifflie
This book is mostly a series of real-life humorous anecdotes about Hammond's journey to that "dreaded" age of forty. There's some interesting background stories from Top Gear as well as the other BBC programs that Richard presented. The kidney stone story is cringe-worthy (but still funny in places). Basically, this is a guy who isn't going to let "middle age" slow him down (and judging by what I see on Top Gear, he's got a lot of adventuring left in him).
Upasana
This was the first Richard Hammond book I picked up and I was not disappointed with his writing style. Hammond talks about a lot of things that happen in his life and that he is approaching his 40th year. Among other things he also mentions Top Gear and things that actually happened that many won't believe to be true and also how he once had a hideous tablecloth design shirt! A light and fun read..more like, what goes on "inside Hamster's mind".
Michaela
Richard is a great humor-writer, and this book has had me laughing every single time I've read it. Following Richard struggle to cope with turning 40, and especially coping with the fact that he is basically falling apart leading up to it, is a great read! From his own programs to Top Gear related stuff, this is a collection of funny tales from the ever great Hamster.
Sam Still Reading
Feb 14, 2010 Sam Still Reading rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Top Gear fans
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: Christmas present
A short and fast read, but interesting collection of tales as Richard Hammond is dragged kicking and screaming towards 40. Not as much Top Gear info as I would have liked (but I like my Top Gear in huge doses) but some funny stories. The UK edition I bought had stickers to 'poke fun at the short bloke from Top Gear'- Richard, you're not that bad! Really.
Jenn
Not quite as good as As You Do or On The Edge, but still pretty entertaining. The stories mostly revolve around Hammond's upcoming 40th and the fears and realizations that go along with such a birthday. They feel somewhat lacking in the personal and the wit that characterize his other books. But, still, worth the couple hours it takes to read!
Trevor
It was OK, not as good as I was expecting and maybe a little self indulgent to be honest.

I'm not alone when I say I thought it was a little poorly written and took a while to get going. Some of the stories were a little "bland" or "non-events".

Shame, as Hammond is obviously a likeable character and this book doesn't really do him justice.
Jenn
If you ever wanted to hear Richard Hammond talk extensively about his knob, this is the audiobook for you! Mostly, this is a chronicle of trying to gracefully (or not so much) deal with approaching 40. Nothing here came close to my favorite stories in AS YOU DO, but it was enjoyable just for the silly pleasure of Hammond's voice in my ear.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
For how happy he acts on TV, he doesn't come across like it in this book. Poor Hammond goes through a lot, doesn't he?

I love how truthful he is in this all, and how he can turn the most ordinary of tales into something interesting.

Not as good as 'On The Edge', but still worth a read.
Valerie
Oct 18, 2009 Valerie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Top Gear fans
Recommended to Valerie by: Amazon
Not great literature, but an engaging read with some behind the scenes info that I need to know as a fan of Top Gear, the Hammster, Engineering Connections, etc. Great photos and a page of stickers are included (with suggestions on messing up Richard's pretty face...um no.)
Inge Hulsker
Another great read, just like his other books. Although On The Edge is the best one by far.
He basically describes events, some from Top Gear, some from other tv-gigs and some from his personal life. He has a nice writing style mostly, just a bit long-winded for my liking.
Debbie Dickinson
This book took a long while to get going, but eventually the stories began to flow with Hammond's usual wit and patter, however the book overall did feel like a disjointed conversation as his stories took various tangents.
Lin

This is another pleasant relaxing read, but fails to go beyond that - a look at some of the stories behind some of the tog gear adventures, plus Hammond agonising over reaching 40.
Mark Farley
More of a memoir/collection of articles a la his mate, Clarkson than his first book. Tells lots of Top Gear stories and they are quite entertaining. Definitely worth a read for the fans of the show.
James
A very funny book. Al the stories relate to the approach to Hammond's 40th birthday and the dread this brought. Very funny.
For me 40 was a doddle but really hit a wall at 50
Annalise
A book filled to the brim with the angst-ridden thoughts of someone about to turn 40. Enjoyable, but at times the rambling tangents were a bit much.
Jay
Oct 29, 2011 Jay rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in Richard Hammond
Okay job Mr Hammond... I don't know if it has anything to do with my age, but I struggled to relate quite a bit. Never mind.
Andrea
Selection of short stories of his life: some interesting, some hilarious, and others quite difficult for the squeamish. Good fun.
  • Car Fever: Dispatches From Behind The Wheel
  • An American Guide to Britishness
  • Peter Jennings: A Reporter's Life
  • My Take
  • Sinatra: The Life
Richard Hammond is a British TV presenter, most noted for co-hosting car programme Top Gear alongside Jeremy Clarkson and James May, as well as presenting Brainiac: Science Abuse on Sky1, Should I Worry About...? on BBC One and Total Wipeout, also on BBC One and Richard Hammonds Blast Lab on CBBC. He has also presented several one-off specials such as ITV's The Gunpowder Plot: Exploding The Legend ...more
More about Richard Hammond...
On the Edge As You Do: Adventures with Evel, Oliver, and the Vice-President of Botswana Richard Hammond's Car Confidential: The Odd, the Mad, the Bad and the Curious Car Science What Not to Drive

“Ask any Ferrari, Porsche or Ray-Ban salesperson about their average customer and you will very likely hear that he is not, as the adverts would have us believe, a virile young footballer with shiny hair, a rippling six pack and a trouser pouch like a new punch bag. He is, in fact, a middle-aged bloke wearing more chins than he started life with and carrying the clear evidence of forty years of beer and pies slung across his midriff.” 11 likes