Start by marking “Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)” as Want to Read:
Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)

Power and Majesty (Creature Court Trilogy #1)

“She almost missed the sight of a naked youth falling out of the sky. He was long and lean and muscled … He was also completely off his face.”

A war is being fought in the skies over the city of Aufleur. No one sees the battles. No one knows how close they come to destruction every time the sun sets.

During daylight, all is well, but when nox falls and the sky turns bright,
Published June 1st 2010 by Harper Entertainment Distribution Services

To ask other readers questions about Power and Majesty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Power and Majesty

Leonie
Apr 20, 2015 Leonie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was a book that grew on me. The first few pages had me wondering, thinking that Velody was going to be just another run of the mill female character but I was completely wrong. Velody was much, much more. I loved the detail that Tansy Rayner Roberts put into developing not only Velody but Delphine and Rhiaan, and I thought that sentinel MacReady was just fabulous. I really hope we see more of him in the subsequent books.

There was drama, great secondary characters,
Sean the Bookonaut
Jan 25, 2012 Sean the Bookonaut rated it really liked it
Power and Majesty is the first book in the Creature Court Trilogy. The second book in the series, The Shattered City comes out in April of this year.

But on with the Story
Power and Majesty charts the story of Velody and her two friends Rhian and Delphine, as they move to the city of Aufluer and begin their apprenticeships as Seamstress, Ribbon maker and Florist.

The setting is an interesting mix of renaissance Rome with perhaps a sliver of steampunk-the characters catch a train to their hometown a
Danielle
Jan 04, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it
A cracktastic piece of fan-fiction made flesh :) (in the best possible way)
This was a great summer read that kept me coming back to find out what more desires and betrayals (and fabulous costumes) were waiting for the characters... for all that, it's a gentle, sweet, almost meandering story with a surprisingly likeable lead female. The women in this story, particularly, get satisfying development and moments of growth. The men... kind of feel like sexy, twisted and angsty decorations, so if you
Siavahda ★
I want to review this book so badly, because it is one of the best books I've ever read and not enough people know about it. But I genuinely don't think I have the words to describe how beautiful, original, clever and ground-breaking it actually is.

Yes, I said ground-breaking. Can you name many other fantasy novels where homo- and bisexuality is not even a Thing? The Creature Court trilogy doesn't 'deal' with being gay; this isn't an issues book. Most of the characters are gay or bi, and that's
Moira
22.2.2015 - 4,5*
Originální. Plné vášnivosti a prudkosti. Promyšlené a propracované.
Jesus, když jsem to začala číst, nenapadlo mě, že to bude tak...
Brutální.
Garnet, jedna z hlavních postav, bude tak... šílený.
Vše bude tak dekadentní.
Dočista jiné, než jsem čekala, temné, násilné, plné sexu a žádostivosti a něhy. A bezcitné a nemilosrdné. A hrající si s láskou, jako se starou tretkou, kterou pokýváváte před nosem zoufalce.
Napsané zvláštně pomalým tempem a... ne zmatené, ale...
Neuspořádaný úvod. N
Celia
Sep 18, 2010 Celia rated it really liked it
I do think this book is a little let down by its cover. It does refer to a specific scene in the book, but to me, despite the dark and brooding city in the background, it looks delicate and pretty, almost a YA book. I anticipated a teenage antagonist. But that's not what Power and Majesty is like at all. This is one dark and intense novel. There's sex scenes. There's a hell of a lot of violence. There's monsters, and betrayal, and torture - it's fantastic.

It's set in Aufleur, a city partly based
Narrelle
Oct 29, 2012 Narrelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, australian
Sometimes I’m such a numpty. I see a book in my stash that’s 500 pages long and I think “I want to read that but it will take aaaaaages. It’s so biiiiiiiiiiiig.” So I put it off and off and off, until finally I think: “Damnit. I will MAKE time.”

And then I read it over two weekends, in two massive gulps, devouring it like a starving thing, reluctant to put it down because OMG WHAT HAPPENS NEXT??!! Apparently, it’s not the size that counts, it’s the writing.

Power and Majesty is the first in a tril
Mark Webb
Jan 06, 2012 Mark Webb rated it really liked it
This review forms part of my contribution to the Australian Women Writers 2012 Reading Challenge.

I recently read Love and Romanpunkby Tansy Rayner Roberts and liked it a lot. On the strength of that collection I decided to give Ms Roberts latest trilogy a try. Power and Majestyis book one of the Creature Court trilogy, a fantasy series set (going off the map at the front) in an alternate Earth, more specifically in an alternate Italy.

Teenagers Velody, Delphine and Rhian have come to the city of
Weirdfi
Oct 13, 2016 Weirdfi rated it really liked it
This book was one of those that I just stumbled across.
In fact I didn't like it at first either. I saw the cover and the blurb in a selection of books at a department store book area last year and neither grabbed my interest that much.

However it ended up in my purchases as it was a first in a series, it stayed unread for well over the end of the year potentially creeping into a full twelve months but I thought I better just read it. I took a little time to get into it, I thought the language wou
Melina
Velody moves to Aufleur to attempt to become a dressmaking apprentice, but late one night she allows a mysterious young man to kiss her and steal the magic she didn’t really know she had. Her life moves on, more or less as it is supposed to, until the Creature Court needs a new leader, and everything begins to unwind.

As the first book in a trilogy, this is definitely setting things up for us. We discover the new world (there are maps!), the way it’s structured, the way people talk and celebrate
Ari
Dark, sexy, violent and bloody, this book is pleasantly not what I'd expected looking at that YA-esque cover. It's also possessed of deep world building, flowing prose and characters I couldn't help but love.

The story follows Velody, among other characters. Following the loss of the sadistic ruler of the Creature Court, a dwindling number of shapechangers, the Court is in desperate need of another to lead them in their nighttime war against the sky, which seeks to swallow the city. They also nee
Yvonne Boag
Dec 04, 2011 Yvonne Boag rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Imagine being fourteen and coming to a large city to become an apprentice. Then imagine being unable to sleep, see a naked man fall from the sky and see another man become a bundle of cats. Velody shocked by what she had witnessed turns to go back to her room only to find the naked man there. He explains that she has a certain power that she wouldn't want and he can take it from her with a kiss. She agrees. Twelve years later she gets that power back and enters a world that she has forgotten exi ...more
Nicky
This was one of those books I have waited patiently for at the library. I was curious to see what the story was about and how it unfurled. It ended up being one of those books that I couldn't leave alone, creating resentment at mundane life activities intruding. The characters, world building and set up of the Creature Court built and developed throughout the pages. One thing that I noticed was the use of the Ancient Roman world as a basis for the world (the calendar, naming of the days, use of ...more
Dee
Aug 23, 2013 Dee rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
It's not that this is a bad book - it's just not my style. The jumping around, the lack of explanation, the arrogance of the characters all add up to a mix I don't enjoy. I guess I need something to be able to relate to: even though there is some growing up with the characters the jumps change their personalities so I lost that connection.
Adrielle
Oct 06, 2015 Adrielle rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Interesting and original enough, I just didn't gel with any of the characters all that well. I'd like to make a note of something that did grate on my nerves a little though. Why use the word feck to replace a word but still use the C word? I don't get it and I didn't like it. One of those personal things I guess.
MELISSA
Apr 30, 2012 MELISSA rated it it was amazing
Amazing i have never a read book like it ,can`t wait to get the second
book. Who would have thought the sky is the enemy ! a wonderful rich woven tappestry of a world
loved it .
Rowena Daniells
Jun 11, 2011 Rowena Daniells rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in Tansy's Creature Court series and a compulsive read!
Miyu
Mar 04, 2013 Miyu rated it really liked it
Everything has two different sides – there is the day and there is nox. There is sanity and there is madness. The daylighters have its festivals and the Creature Court has its war.

When 14 years old Velody came to the Aufleur she only wanted to get a good apprenticeship as a dressmaker. But during the first nigh the power she didn’t even know she possessed was stolen from her. For another 12 years she has lived a life of a daylighter until Garnet, the boy who has stolen her animor, died unleashi
Maren
Nov 07, 2016 Maren rated it it was ok
(Authors Note from after finishing the third book in this series - consider yourself warned.

If you like angst and gritty and dark and compelling and real life levels of bitter truths (in so much as a court full of crazies who can turn into animals can be 'real life', of course), this is the series for you.

If you don't, run away. Run away now while you still can.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled review)

I am kind of on the fence about the book, honestly.

On the one hand, the vaguely G
Hera
Jun 25, 2013 Hera rated it really liked it
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I went headlong into this 924-page book. I had never heard of the author before and it never pinged on my radar until I happened to be scrolling through my Goodreads dashboard and saw that someone had marked it as “to-read."

Then I ended up finishing it in two days.

Power & Majesty, by Tansy Rayner Roberts, is the first book in the "Creatures Court" trilogy. Velody arrives in the city of Aufleur wanting to become an apprentice dressmaker. Once there, she quick
Bradley
May 14, 2014 Bradley rated it liked it
Shelves: written-reviews
I picked this book up after reading a review about it from High Fantasy Addict. The premise sounded interesting and there was mentions of it being an alternate history or Roman inspired, that had me very intrigued. Well, that is kind of true. Take renaissance Italy with doges, dukes and duchesses, then add a bit of Roman Pagan festivals and holidays, make the time setting late Victorian, with a bit of roaring 20’s fashion and women’s lib; mix all of these together and bake for 30 minutes at 350 ...more
Yan
Oct 28, 2015 Yan rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Power and Majesty manages to be entertaining despite vague world-building and elements of dubious gender politics.

To start with a pet peeve: fantasy stories which use a map of Earth (usually Europe, see the map at the start of Power and Majesty) and then just call places different things feel massively dated these days. The map shows the story taking place in Italy, and the characters celebrate festivals like Lupercalia, so you’d think this was meant to be a fantasy AU where Ancient Roman custom
Helen Petrovic
Mar 31, 2014 Helen Petrovic rated it it was amazing
I love being in love with the last book I read (if it deserves it). And boy, do I LOVE Power and Majesty right now. This award winning novel by renowned Australian fantasy writer Tansy Rayner Roberts was an utterly enjoyable, and unexpectedly awesome, ride.

Power and Majesty is described as ‘dark fantasy’ and I found it a refreshing change from my regular fantasy fare. Not only does Rayner Roberts borrow from language and culture to imbue Power and Majesty with a very Ancient Roman flavour (a tim
Rochelle
Sep 18, 2015 Rochelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own

I really loved this book. It had all the drama and scandle of a good soap opera, but better. It was also full of action and violence; the creature court loves blood, and they are fighting in a war, after all.
Our heroine Velody is strong-willed, fiercely protective, wise and determined.
Before she realises who she is, Velody is a dress maker, living with her two best friends Delphine and Rhian.
Ashiol has been powerless for five years, until the Power and Majesty dies and his powers are returned
Estara
Sep 08, 2012 Estara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Estara by: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2012
Nancy White
This novel isn't *technically good*. It doesn't give me that great-literature thrill that I get when I read really high quality, beautifully-written novels.

But this novel is *really good* in the sense that I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

The geography and culture (to some extent) is based on a real-world place and culture that I love. The magic system was complex and reasonably original, although perhaps that judgement is a symptom of not having read much fantasy lately... The story is fun. The
Sam
Jul 02, 2012 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-reads, books-i-own
LOVED this book. After having so much trouble trying to get a copy of it, I was so happy when I was able to just download it to my Kindle without any trouble. This novel is deep, there's lots to discover about the world and its characters. I adored the idea of the Creature Court (though it reminded me a bit too much of Animorphs? :D;) and I thought the politics behind it were very intriguing and well put together. I loved Velody and her growth and strength was amazing to watch throughout the sto ...more
Sandra
Jul 13, 2012 Sandra rated it really liked it
While the world building and story are interesting it is the characters that make this book so compelling. I loved the heroine Velody and how suddenly having all this power thrust upon her didn't change her basic character. She is strong, likeable, decent and grounded. The cast of characters from the cerature court are infinitely less likeable but their tortured history and interactions make them so damn interesting it doesn't matter. Even though she only has a small role I also really like Ash' ...more
Portia Andrew
Feb 29, 2016 Portia Andrew rated it liked it
Again, a book I would not have chosen, but because it is a required text for an English unit "Popular Genres" I have read it. Fantasy, with an underlying authorial knowledge of things Latin and Italian provided entertainment. The artist in me enjoyed the juxtaposition of the delightfully colourful daytime settings with those dark and dramatic night scenes.
I'm sure it would appeal to young adult audience, and those others who are young at heart!
Talietha
It took e a while to both get to this book and to get into it. Train trips are wonderful things.
So having just finished this one I'm very much looking forward to reading book 2 and finding out more about the Lords of the Creature Court, the Sentinels, the 'daylight' Duchessa Isangell, and of course Delphine, Rhian & Velody.
Can't wait to see Rhian with skysilver in her hands.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 18, 2015 11:23AM
  • Cracklescape (Twelve Planets book 7)
  • Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories
  • Havenstar
  • Sharp Shooter (Tara Sharp, #1)
  • Managing Death (Death Works Trilogy #2)
  • Madigan Mine
  • Asymmetry (Twelve Planets book 8)
  • The Courier's New Bicycle
  • Winter Be My Shield (Children of the Black Sun, #1)
  • More Scary Kisses
  • A Trifle Dead (Cafe La Femme, #1)
  • Phantazein
  • Debris (The Veiled Worlds, #1)
  • Champion of the Rose (Darest, #1)
  • Code Noir (Parrish Plessis, #2)
  • Daughters of the Storm (Blood and Gold, #1)
  • Rituals (Rhapsody of Blood, #1)
  • The Undivided (Rift Runners, #1)
Tansy Rayner Roberts is a fantasy and science fiction author who lives in southern Tasmania, somewhere between the tall mountain with snow on it, and the beach that points towards Antarctica.

Tansy has a PhD in Classics (with a special interest in poisonous Roman ladies), an obsession with Musketeers, and is raising two superhero daughters who are going to rule the world someday.

You can hear Tansy
More about Tansy Rayner Roberts...

Creature Court Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Shattered City (Creature Court, #2)
  • Reign of Beasts (Creature Court, #3)