Start by marking “Talking It Over” as Want to Read:
Talking It Over

Talking It Over

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,225 Ratings  ·  195 Reviews
Twice shortlisted for the Booker Prize, Julian Barnes continues to reinvigorate the novel with his pyrotechnic verbal skill and playful manipulation of plot and character. In Love, etc. he uses all the surprising, sophisticated ingredients of a delightful farce to create a tragicomedy of human frailties and needs.

After spending a decade in America as a successful business
Published October 27th 1992 by Vintage (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Talking It Over, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talking It Over

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTiger's Voyage by Colleen HouckCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsEclipse by Stephenie MeyerSeptember Ends by Hunter S. Jones
Love Triangle
118th out of 292 books — 537 voters
The Carer by Scott  NelsonA Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens1984 by George OrwellA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensBleak House by Charles Dickens
London
69th out of 199 books — 60 voters

More lists with this book...

·Karen·

Me, and him and her.
Him and him and me.

Us and him.
Me and her and him.
Him and me, and me and him.

Them and me.
Me and her, and him.
Me and him. And him.

Punctuation, and Pronouns are Important, we are taught that early on in the novel. These characters rarely say you. They are talking it over, yes, but not with each other. Each one talks out to, to, to..... well, me. The Reader. The Audience. Each has his or her (cumber
Paul Bryant
May 08, 2011 Paul Bryant rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Julian Barnes completists
Shelves: novels
The problem is that one third of this novel is spoken by Oliver, who talks like the cheese shop customer in the Monty Python sketch :

I was sitting in the public library on Thurmon Street just now, skimming through "Rogue Herries" by Hugh Walpole, and I suddenly came over all peckish. And I thought to myself, "a little fermented curd will do the trick," so, I curtailed my Walpoling activites, sallied forth, and infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some cheesy comestibl
Tony
Nov 15, 2014 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british
The English are a mad and violent race, and their sense of humour is very singular.

So is their self-effacement.

This is the story of a love triangle, with mostly unlikable characters and a plot that's cartoonish. That said, it's still Julian Barnes, and any subject or motif serves as a canvas for his brilliant erudition. Even lesser Barnes is immensely satisfying.

It was like this: The principals and plot twists annoyed me to the point where I could have pitched this half-way through; but if the
Trevor
May 04, 2011 Trevor rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: literature
I hadn't planned to watch the Royal Wedding, but then Paul suggested there might be an anarchist outrage during the ceremony and, well, I couldn't resist. But I've been annoyed ever since.

One of my favourite parts of this book is that one of the characters wants his wedding vows to contain the phrase, "With all my worldly goods I thee endow". It is, admittedly, a beautiful phrase and I can believe a character wanting this included in their vows. So, the Royals being high church and all, I expect
Cristina Boncea
Apr 30, 2016 Cristina Boncea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recunosc că mă așteptam la ceva puțin mai erotic atunci când am văzut titlul însă conținutul cărții a fost cel puțin la fel de inspirator.

Povestea poate fi spusă într-o frază simplă: există un el și o ea și un al treilea intervine, după care ea schimbă taberele. Perspectivele expuse de fiecare personaj în parte sunt deosebit de interesante, puse în opoziție.

Haideți să încep cu ce nu mi-a plăcut. Nu am văzut prea tare rostul personajului Val, o tipă pusă pe teorii conspiratoare, menită să ne facă
Erika
Jul 03, 2012 Erika rated it really liked it
This is the first Julian Barnes I've read. One word comes to mind to describe his writing and that is "control". How can I explain that more? There are no extra words, ideas, paragraphs, characters, or scenes in his book. Every word is tightly woven into the story. All writers aspire to achieve that. Julian Barnes' Talking It Over is an excellent and rare example of that kind of control. I get the sense that Barnes knows exactly what he wants to say and gets straight to the business of saying it ...more
Konserve Ruhlar
Mar 25, 2016 Konserve Ruhlar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Farklı bir teknikle üç kişiden ayrı ayrı dinlediğimiz bir aşkı anlatıyor Seni Sevmiyorum. Söz konusu Julian Barnes olunca kitap da elbette basit bir aşk hikayesini anlatıyor olamazdı. Karakterlerin birbirlerinden etkileşimleri ve ortaya çıkan sonuçlar üzerine bir hikayesi var romanın. Gill, Stuart ve Oliver'i tanıdıkça ilk başlarda onlar hakkında düşündüklerimiz epey değişiyor, ya da şöyle demeli; onları daha iyi anlıyoruz. Belki Aşk'ı da daha iyi anlıyoruz. Üzerine düşünüyoruz. Hakkında şiirler ...more
Ana
well, this was a surprise. this book and I started off with the wrong foot, and for the first 60 - 70 pages i kept wondering if i'm going to have to do the unthinkable and give a bad opinion on a Barnes book. but then the universe sweated off this problem and made this work take the road of well - written literature. the three star rating might, therefore, come as a surprise, but don't be fooled - the rating system on GR is just a gimmick we play with, not a thing you should take for granted.

th
Petra X
May 05, 2015 Petra X rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
Barnes is able to take what seems to be a fairly ordinary story and by his superlative writing extract from it the nuances of character and plot that involve you as if you were watching a BBC middle-class series about unfaithfulness and angst set in some rather nicely-decorated homes.

This wouldn't have won the Booker Prize as The Sense of an Ending deservedly did, but it is brilliantly written and a very good read.
Mădă Kruppa
Dec 08, 2014 Mădă Kruppa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Pe măsură ce îți împarți viața cu cineva, îți pierzi, încetul cu încetul, capacitatea de a-l face fericit, în timp ce puterea de a-l răni rămâne intactă. Și viceversa, bineînțeles."

Sad, but so damn true.
Pooja
This is what they really do, They put a nice cover with captivating combination of colors and you just can't help yourself admiring it. I end up with books like these when my soul truly suffers from the want of something to read.

The story is love triangle or say marriage triangle between Stuart, Gillian and Oliver. Of course, I didn't see it coming in the first few chapters. and when I did, it was too late, I was already in their trap.

I liked his style of writing maybe because it confused me man
Tulpesh Patel
Mar 14, 2010 Tulpesh Patel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary-fiction
Talking It Over is the story of three people, Stuart, Gillian, and 5th wheel Stuart, caught in a love triangle. Told from each of their perspectives 'directly to camera', we learn how the love of each pair develops and ultimately unravels.

Many people have commented that the characters are thoroughly unlikable, but I found their flaws compelling, and thoroughly enjoyed reading about them. I think it is testament to Barnes' keen eye that the characters are so well drawn that they create this disli
Nimbex
Mar 20, 2015 Nimbex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Ingenioso, mordaz, divertido y, sobretodo, brillantemente escrito. El autor construye una historia a partir de los puntos de vista de sus tres protagonistas, consigue que empaticemos con ellos y nos involucremos en sus vidas, todo ello mientras nos arranca unas cuantas carcajadas. Sólo un mago de las palabras como Julian Barnes es capaz de conseguir algo así.
Hoa
Dec 02, 2014 Hoa rated it really liked it
"Dva rozměry ustupují třem."

1. Spád děje musel nejdřív ustoupit zdlouhavému popisu historie.
2. Prostor, který by hlavní protagonisté mohli použít k objasnění událostí na konci knihy, ustoupil nesmyslné přítomnosti nových postav, aniž by přinesly něco nového.
3. Skvělá stavba příběhu, propracované pohledy tří hrdinů a bohatost vyjádřování naštěstí neustoupily ničemu.
Saverio Mariani
Quando - su Repubblica, alcuni giorni fa - lessi l'intervista di lancio per il nuovo romanzo di Julian Barnes, rimasi colpito. Un taglio netto dentro le concezioni più diffuse intorno al dolore, questo aveva fatto Barnes, rispondendo a quattro o cinque domande.

Ho conosciuto, letterariamente, lo scrittore con Il senso di una fine, suo penultimo romanzo, sempre edito da Einaudi (regalatomi da un amico, che sa come viziarmi).
In seguito a quell'intervista ho sfogliato - in libreria - Livelli di vit
Kirstie
Jun 28, 2012 Kirstie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in relationships
Julian Barnes has tremendous ability as a writer, as I discovered in The Sense of an Ending and currently now in The History of the World in 10 1/2 chapters. Unfortunately, I feel this would be one of his weaker novels and would not recommend it to anyone but a completist who loves everything else Barnes has ever done. This is not to say that it's toss away garbage but there are others one should definitely read first surely (the other two I mentioned, for instance). I'd also love to receive fur ...more
Abby
Aug 26, 2011 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's always satisfying when a favorite author reliably delivers. Julian Barnes is one of my favorites for a reason. This book was so compelling, you couldn't help but keep reading to watch the train wreck of a story unfold. It's the story of two best friends with completely opposite personalities and the woman who gets in the middle of them. This sounds like a pretty well-trodden tale, but the point is that the book's not really about the "story" or "plot" (plus, it was written in 1991). It's re ...more
Marte Patel
This is the February title for our monthly work book club, chosen by my colleague and friend. Did I like it? Not particularly. Was it well-written? Kind of. Was it witty (as promised by said friend)? If it was, I hardly ever got it - I only found it funny in one or two places.

The thing is, I really hate reading novels about weak, weird people, so I guess I was never going to love this! The characters: Oliver is obviously disagreeable - a snob, arrogant, ultimately insecure - and quite a stereoty
Maud
Oct 18, 2014 Maud rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommendations
Hilarious and incredibly clever. I was impressed with the way the plot kept twisting and turning and kept me interested until the very last page. The narrative mode was interesting; the story is constructed like one big conversation with the reader, during which all three main characters (and some minor characters) get a chance to speak. This could have been exhausting, but if there's anything I've learned about Julian Barnes by now it's that he could make anything work.

Barnes' writing strikes t
Joan
May 25, 2015 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised how at much I enjoyed this book. I started the book not liking the three characters at all but in the end I was anxious to find out what happened to them. So much so, that I am now reading the sequel. My first Julian Barnes novel; will definitely read more by this man.
Isaac Bourgeois
May 09, 2014 Isaac Bourgeois rated it really liked it
I'm just a total Barnes fanboy. Not his strongest book - my rating is really a 3.5. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you're considering reading Barnes, don't start here: go for Sense of an Ending.
Sezinur Balıkçıoğlu
80 sayfa kadar okudum ama yazarın anlatımı bana hitap etmedi. Bir türlü içine alamadı beni maalesef ve bıraktım...
Ankit
Jan 15, 2015 Ankit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are two things that I always love about a Julian Barnes book. 1. His take on life, relationships and situations is absolutely outstanding and the more I read, the more I am in awe of his knowledge. 2. The delight of reading his words which is often a cocktail of wit and excellence. And with that I started reading this book on the second day of this new year, 2015.

Talking it over is a brilliant book on love, relationships and marriage. This book shows three sides of a love triangle from eac
Stephen Curran
Coming after a trio of mixed-genre, mercurially minded novels, I suspect Julian Barnes was aiming for a broader audience with Talking it Over. It feels much more relaxed, like he was unbuckling his belt after a big meal.

In the main, it is narrated by the three principal characters - Gillian, Stuart and Oliver - taking turns to give conflicting accounts of the 'now' (or more precisely, of what just happened). What one character sees as a clumsy misfortune, the other sees as a head-butt. None of t
Inna
Apr 01, 2016 Inna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british
"Счастье одного человека часто покоится на несчастье другого, так устроен мир", - в цій фразі дійсно закладена головна ідея твору. Кожен має свою правду і завжди захищає своє право на неї.
Давно прагнула познайомитися з творчістю Джуліана Барнса і навмисне вирішила не починати з його найкращої книги (у мене з дитинства так: треба з'їсти спочатку менш смачне,щоб потім насолоджуватися улюбленою стравою), а взяти до читання щось менш відоме та титуловане. Talking it Over в рос.перекладі отримала наз
Pinak
Apr 26, 2014 Pinak rated it liked it
This could have been a great novel if it had not lost its way in trying to be too smart, like one of its characters oliver. It is written through the eyes of each of its three characters. And one of them actually talks like a dictionary. The problem being, after a few pages, you realize he isn't saying much that you would take an effort to look up his words in a dictionary. I just skipped over the words I didn't understand, and it didn't make a difference.
Julian Barnes loves to delve into the de
Anne-Sophie
Mar 21, 2015 Anne-Sophie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Que dire, que penser !

J'ai adoré certains passages, mais un peu moins d'autres et c'est toujours un peu frustrant quand on pense être tombé sur un livre génial !

Ce livre, c'est l'histoire d'un triangle amoureux entre Stuart, Oliver et Gillian. Bon, vu comme ça, rien d'inédit, et pourtant ! Les points de vues alternent entre chaque personnages et c'est très drôle de voir la même scène racontée par l'un puis par l'autre. L'auteur est bon, (très bon même) et chaque personnage a vraiment sa manière
Camille Chidsey
Jan 27, 2014 Camille Chidsey rated it liked it
3.5/5. I'm still thinking about this book. Barnes is a good writer and I really liked the interplay between the characters (especially the ending). However, Oliver annoyed me (I would have loathed the guy in real life), but I still was intrigued by him even though he pretentiously rambled. I like Barnes because there are also soundbites in his novels that are wonderful and often underestimated. He really crafts his language carefully and mulls over every word. With Oliver though, it's easy to sk ...more
Simon Bendle
Sep 28, 2010 Simon Bendle rated it really liked it
I find Barnes so thoughtful and smart - but at the same time witty and fun to read. None of the three main characters here are particularly likeable. But they're all vivid and compelling and full of surprises.
Gülhan Güllü
Sep 06, 2015 Gülhan Güllü rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mizah! Ne guclu bir anlatim sekli, cok sevdim.
  • Out of This World
  • Nette
  • Babel Tower
  • Little Green Man
  • Rameau's Niece
  • The Pack: Retribution (The Pack #2)
  • Vigilare (Vigilare, #1)
  • Monsignor Quixote
  • First Love, Last Rites
  • Heat Wave
  • Changing Places
  • The Trick of It
Julian Patrick Barnes is a contemporary English writer of postmodernism in literature. He has been shortlisted three times for the Man Booker Prize--- Flaubert's Parrot (1984), England, England (1998), and Arthur & George (2005), and won the prize for The Sense of an Ending (2011). He has written crime fiction under the pseudonym Dan Kavanagh.

Following an education at the City of London School
More about Julian Barnes...

“Love is just a system for getting someone to call you Darling after sex.” 35 likes
“I’ve always thought you are what you are and you shouldn’t pretend to be anyone else. But Oliver used to correct me and explain that you are whoever it is you’re pretending to be.” 16 likes