Start by marking “The Hunt” as Want to Read:
The Hunt

The Hunt (Hunt Country Suspense #1)

The complex and romanticized lifestyle of elite foxhunters is revealed in this thrilling murder mystery. An attractive and wealthy lawyer and horseman, Doug Cummings personifies the old money equine subculture of Middleburg, Virginia. Driven to succeed, Cummings's climb to the top is halted when he becomes the target of a twisted scheme to frame him for the murders of his ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Paper Chase Farms Publishing Group (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunt

Vicki Jaeger
Oct 11, 2011 Vicki Jaeger rated it did not like it
Recommended to Vicki by: Barnes & Noble NOOK reads
When will I learn my lesson about free ebooks? Where do I begin with this one...
Rich entitled tax lawyer who works/lives in D.C. and plays at the family equestrian estate in Virginia. Is set up by a lunatic brother of a client who died in prison (pro bono work as a young lawyer), AND some other lunatic going around killing women & framing him. For a lawyer, he isn't very smart about legal issues, as he wants to get involved with his criminal defense lawyer. Oh, and there's a redneck deputy w
Elizabeth Olson
This murder mystery set among the horsey elite of Virginia's fox hunting country is well enough plotted to be a page turner, despite some lumps in dialogue and rough spots in characterization (the protagonist seems to be always bringing his fist down on a table in frustration).
Benjamin Sobieck
Oct 13, 2011 Benjamin Sobieck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of cozy mysteries
I like the fox hunting that frames this whodunit story. The twists and turns weren't all that surprising, though. This had so much potential, I'm bummed it didn't turn out better. I look forward to reading more from the author, because I think Neuharth has talent. It just seems squandered with this work.
Shannah
Aug 11, 2011 Shannah rated it did not like it
I got this book for free on Free Fridays at the Nook store. I can't believe it is still wasting space on my Nook today. I didn't get past chapter two because the writing was so poor and the storyline boring.

Find something else to read if you want to be entertained.
nicole
Aug 28, 2011 nicole rated it liked it
Overall, this book was ok. I mean, kind of hard for a vegan to rate a book on fox hunting! The story was somewhat told in the beginning as you were clear that the main character was innocent of the crime he was charged with. Somewhat predictable but overall and easy read.
Kasey
I keep reading these nook free Friday books because I'm really hoping to find another gem like Child 44. Ah that book! But anyways, this book is not a gem so much as it is just a mildly entertaining read. The writing is really stellar and it's obvious that the author knows about foxhunting and legal jargon. But the plot just didn't build up the way I had hoped it would. I mean, this had the potential to be a thriller, but it was more like a Sunday drive with the occasional pot hole along the way ...more
Sam
Mar 23, 2012 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Set in the fox-hunting world of Middleburg, Virginia, The Hunt is a fun mystery for anyone with a love of horses and the hunt. This is the first of a three part Hunt Country series and I will definitely read the all three books. Neuharth knows her subject and weaves it into a murder/suspense tale that will keep you guessing to the end. There is a cliffhanger ending which leaves you chomping at the bit for book #2, "The Chase".

Lawyer Doug Cummings splits his time between his practice in DC and hi
Heidi
Jul 15, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like murder mysteries, romance, foxhunts and horses
Recommended to Heidi by: Free Friday selection
This book was a pleasant surprise. It is about Doug Cummings, a tax lawyer and wealthy man through inheritance. He likes to participate in fox hunts (which is a twist in a mystery that I was intrigued to see) and has recently broken up with his girlfriend Nancy. Nancy has an accident on a fox hunt and Doug moves her in order for the ambulance to get to her quicker... however, not everyone agrees that was a good idea. Doug becomes the unofficial suspect, and when other women around him get murder ...more
Marlena Frank
Aug 03, 2012 Marlena Frank rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I picked this up as a free read on one of Barnes and Noble's Free Friday listings. First the good parts: the intrigue and the pacing. I liked both even though the writing itself was distracting, and the book kept me interested enough to read to the end. The dialogue frustrated me though. The child was obviously a way for the author to shuttle the characters around, and she's obnoxiously sweet. Her dialogue was also very unrealistic much like the main character. The characters as a whole were pre ...more
Sherrie
Feb 01, 2013 Sherrie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This tale of murder set in Virginia's fox hunting country had some good basic elements, with the potential for an interesting story. But the huge detracting factor was the lack of character development, along with implausible plot progression. For example, at the initial murder scene the investigating officer suspects foul play, but doesn't interview the suspect, and doesn't even go to the scene where the accident happened. The feeling throughout the book was that the author had a basic plot out ...more
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Jul 08, 2011 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it liked it
Recommended to Dee Renee by: Free Friday selection
Shelves: ebooks, 2012
Madeline
Feb 20, 2013 Madeline rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Had an internal debate to buy all three of the books in the series because I thought it would be a shoe-in: a horsie fox hunting mystery book written by a sorority sister? I'm totally in.

I am so glad that I didn't drop fifty bucks on a trio of poorly crafted books.

If I have to read how Doug hits the hard surface of something with his fist one more time, I'm gonna flip out.

Not enough horses (or humor for that matter), poorly crafted mystery, two-dimensional characters and ridiculous story line,
Alex
Jul 14, 2011 Alex rated it really liked it
The Hunt is not a literary masterpiece, but it is an entertaining read. It was a free download on the B&N Nook.

The plot is a bit predictable and along the story you will question some of the dumb decisions the main character makes, but the story is believable -despite some holes. Lots of detail on foxhunting and life in hunt county, very descriptive prose. Towards the end you'll have a hard time putting the book down. This would make a nice straight-to-TV movie (ie. the kind you see on LMN).
Pat Roberts
Feb 16, 2016 Pat Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is this mystery/thriller a tad hackneyed? Yeah. Is it a bit of a stretch that the good guy accused of being the bad guy, just happens to be gorgeously good looking, unbelieveably rich, and a tremendously talented tax attorney? Yeah. And was it even a greater stretch that when he needs a very good criminal attorney, that attorney just happens to be a slender, tall, blonde gal? Yes again. But oh what a great beach read page turner this book is. Lemonade and shade is all one needs to top off a fun ...more
Denise
May 31, 2010 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The past often comes back to haunt you, in the case of Doug Cummings Jr. it comes to hunt. People are dying around Cummings and things look bad for him, the local law seems out to prove he is at fault no matter the true proof or lack there of.

Set in Middleburg, VA - a place I have family this book made me want to travel to see them all that much more.

Neuharth takes you to a world set in fox hunting, money, love and revenge. In the end who will pay for the past of Cummings and will it ever end.
Marti
Aug 09, 2011 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another one of the Free Friday offerings by nook book. It was fairly entertaining, but I felt that the ending was weak. The main character was a multimillionaire tax lawyer who worked in DC, had an apt in the Watergate and also the family estate where he owned numerous horses. He could go on a fox hunt practically any time he wanted. Not yet 40, he had an active social life. Some other characters such as Nellie, his housekeeper, and Samantha, the little orphan girl were more likeable.
Beth
Jul 21, 2011 Beth rated it liked it
Coulter
Jul 29, 2011 Coulter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
The book was a little slow and clunky at the beginning, too much seemed forced into place to set up the plot. But it all came together and made for a decent story. One of my pet peeves is to see words spelled incorrectly in books. So when I saw lightning spelled as lightening in the book a few times, that got on my nerves. Other than that, it was a pretty good book that opened my eyes to fox hunting country.
Amanda Hamilton
I haven't been writing reviews to the most recent things I've read because I'm trying to make my goal of 100 books by January 1st, which I don't think I'll make but I'm close. Closer than I thought I'd get.

A nice little mystery with an interesting conceit (i.e. foxhunting) which I didn't know that much about. Very tense and cat-and-mouse-y.
Lori
Jul 27, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, it was a good quick read. I didn't want to stop reading as I got farther along. I haven't read many murder mysteries, so not much to compare it. But it kept me hanging on, even though I actually figured who did it. I liked the main character and the stories about the hunts. Now I want to read the next one to see what happens to him next!
Andrea
Aug 26, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good, but not great. That being said, I was interested enough to finish it in 2 days, to see how it would end. The subject-Virginia fox hunt country- was interesting and novel and the author's descriptions and narrative were good. I thought her dialog was a little stiff. I am interested enough to read the sequel, the Chase, tho!
Betty
Jul 28, 2011 Betty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, you knew right off who did it. So you thought. Even though the plots and the scenarios were so predictable, and seemed quite elementary,for some reason I could not put it down until I found out the ending. I agree with another poster, that this would have been a great movie to watch in the middle of the night.
William
Oct 26, 2011 William rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Interesting book, fun to read, I love mystery thrillers. My only complaint; to much unnecessary foul language. I learned about Fox Hunting and I thought the author did a great job in intertwining the story with the sport. I felt I got to know the main characters very well. Even though it was a mystery it was an easy book to read and written well enough to keep you interest all the way through.
Marnie
Jun 27, 2013 Marnie rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, suspense
While horses are not really my thing, I did like the suspense thriller of the book. I can understand why someone would go after a lawyer for an unforeseen outcome of verdict, but to add the twist of another killer was pretty good. The reason for the other killer though, was not very thought out in my opinion. I might read more in the series down the road.
Cheryl
Jul 08, 2011 Cheryl rated it liked it
Free Friday offering from Barnes and Noble on my Nook. This is a mystery that brings up the issue of circumstantial evidence, the power of the press and public opinion. How fickle are so many superficial friends. I enjoyed the fox hunting/horse world setting.
Steve
Jul 18, 2011 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, south
This was a B&N free Friday giveaway, thought I'd read it because of the location and subject matter, having been in Middleburg VA many times for horse events. This was a great read especially for summer although toward the end the story got predictable, but even with that it was hard to put down.
Tom Carrico
Jul 12, 2011 Tom Carrico rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book couldn't decide if it was a murder mystery, a thriller or a romance novel. The setting in Middleburg, VA was interesting and well described. The characters were a bit stereotypical and the whole thing could have used a bit of editing.
Susan
Jul 18, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
A fast read. The plot kept moving. Had some twists and turns. Wanted to tell Doug Cummings, the main character, "Don't do that Doug. That's not a good idea!" Sure enough it wasn't a good idea. The last page of the book made me want to read the next book "The Chase". Good little murder mystery read.
Christy
Jul 03, 2013 Christy rated it it was ok
Set in the hunt country just outside Washington, D.C., this mystery follows wealthy ladies man, Doug Cummings. Cummings is accused of murdering his ex-girlfriend. When other murders start happening, the quiet town of Middleburg, VA fears there is a serial killer on the loose.
Tiffany
This was a Nook Free Friday book. It was slow getting started, but once it picked up pace it was hard to put down. It was fairly predicatable but a quick, clean, read. There are a few swear words, including an occasional "F" bomb. Other than that, clean - free of sexual content.
  • County Line
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)
  • The Blue Light Project
  • First, There Is a River (Spirit of the River, #1)
  • The Front Porch Prophet
  • Needle in a Haystack
  • From the Ashes
  • Dark Legacy
  • Untouchable
  • Dead Politician Society (Clare Vengel Undercover, #1)
  • Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)
  • Meet the Annas: A Musical Novel
  • Grace (Virtue, #1)
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • Blood Ties (PI Julie Collins, #1)
  • Raven Strike (Dreamland, #13)
  • Heart of the Witch
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
Jan Neuharth, an attorney and horse lover, is a graduate of the University of Florida and Vanderbilt Law School. She practiced law in Los Angeles before moving to the Virginia Hunt Country in 1985 to establish Paper Chase Farms, one of the premier equestrian facilities of its kind. She lives in Middleburg, Virginia, with her husband, who is a former Master of the Hunt, and their children. The thir ...more
More about Jan Neuharth...

Hunt Country Suspense (3 books)
  • The Chase: A Hunt Country Suspense Novel