Start by marking “Pushing 30” as Want to Read:
Pushing 30

Pushing 30

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  834 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
“The one thing you should know about me is this: I’m the consummate Good Girl. . .”

Ellie Winters is dependable and loyal and has a near-phobic aversion to conflict. But as her thirtieth birthday looms ever closer, she starts to feel like she’s lost the instruction manual to her life. She has just broken up with her boring boyfriend, despises her job, and is the last of her
Published (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Pushing 30, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pushing 30

CaliGirlRae
Jul 18, 2011 CaliGirlRae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chick lit and Sex and the City Fans
This was a light, fun read and also my first foray into the chick lit genre. Not sure I'll be making a return as I liked this book more so for the characters and this particular romantic setup.

This book reminded me of Sex and the City and read like an episode (or maybe a full season). Lead heroine and narrator Ellie Winters has both the conservative, good girl vibes of Charlotte York and the neuroses of Carrie Bradshaw. She's surrounded by her two best friends: the hard working tax attorney and
Jaclyn
I read this book because I am turning 30 in a month and have embarked on a challenge to read as many books as I can about this milestone birthday. There were some parts of Ellie's character that I found completely relatable and others I did not. I found her to be a bit insecure, pessimistic and negative, sometimes too much at times, and that wore thin for me. There was a little too much "poor me" in her character for me to completely relate. However, that being said, overall I liked the story an ...more
W
I was looking for a light hearted chick lit novel, one that would feature the fun butterfly feelings that make you smile, a distraction from other current heavy reads as well as the stress of everyday life. I started Pushing 30, and it was perfect. Sigh. The first half, that is. It was exactly what I'd been needing, as cute and awww fluttery sweet realism as I could hope to find. And then there was a shift. It was like two books. The first half was easy to read, and I wholeheartedly give it four ...more
Jennifer Trimboli
Jan 04, 2008 Jennifer Trimboli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This book is light and funny. It was so funny, in fact, that I actually found myself laughing out loud. The main character is sarcastic but still light hearted enough to be normal. I can't say I would read this over and over again but I definitely liked it.
Jessica
Jan 29, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! Before starting this book, I happened to read the author profile. I got a little nervous when I saw that this was her first novel - only because I was traumatized by the book that I read previously also by a first time novelist (You Have to Kiss a Lot of Frogs). As I started my feelings were mixed. On the one hand I found myself relating to Ellie Winters as the Good Girl. On the other, she sounded similar to the author Whitney Gaskell. Fortunately, my fears were quick ...more
Abby
May 10, 2010 Abby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't a terrible book, just completely formulaic and predictable, with underdeveloped characters. So basically, a completely stereotypical chick lit story. This is why this genre gets a bad rap people! By lazy writing.

The short version is, girl has no personality and does whatever her friends and family want her to do because she has no idea what she would rather do and also has no spine. Throughout the book she faces conflicts in her personal life (with her friends, family, and romantic i
Laurie
Dec 20, 2008 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well I finished this book in two days, mainly because it's a formulaic chic-lit novel. But if you like that sort of thing, this is for you. I orginally wanted to read a different book by Whitney Gaskell but no library in our area has a copy of it so I haven't been able to get a hold of it. Anyway, I chose this book, Gaskell's first novel after leaving a career in law and it was pretty decent. But you have to know how it ends even before you start it.

Ellie Winters is a lawyer in the litigation de
Rebecca
Jun 03, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
one of the better ones i have read lately, after my last load of crap from the library last month. this one takes place in DC, which i always enjoy as a setting and the protag, Ellie is a lawyer, but hates it. Parents are involved, somewhat and pushing into what they think is best for her, not what she wants. She had two main friends who where easily identifiable and could tell them apart and tho not essential to the story, made appearances where and when needed. the main hook-up in the book was ...more
Michelle Molinari
I’m not the biggest fan of the spineless leading ladies. I get so annoyed when they whine and complain that they are victims of their own life when they let others dictate their future. These women can’t get out of their own way and I’m supposed to feel sorry for them? Such is the case of the main character in this story. It’s an entertaining story but I just want to shake her half the time and tell her to do something. I feel bad for women who have things happen to them, even when trying their ...more
Karen
Jul 21, 2016 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't a bad book; it just wasn't a very good book. The story follows a pretty set formula. And it still falls apart in the details: It is not that hard to keep track of depositions in a case file (I know from personal experience); nor is it that easy to become a political cartoonist (again, I know from personal experience).

Elena
Apr 27, 2016 Elena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-erotica
Very short read. Lazy job, I'd say. Story with sabotaging of Ellie's job has no conclusion. Storyline with her parents ends with "I'll think of it tomoroow". Situation with Alice in Ted's bathrobe and Ted in shower is absolutely unbelivable.
But the main heroine has her sense of humor. If not her spinless character, I'd like her a lot.
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Approaching 30 is an interesting time in life, maybe you are settled and married and just enjoying a happy time or maybe like Ellie you are trying to get things settled and it isn't working, either way turning 30 can be rough! I may have picked this book specifically to review this week as my 30th birthday may be tomorrow!

I loved how Ellie was trying to put the pieces together, it combusts and most of it comes together in the end! The characters were fantastic, they felt real, but each had great
Nicholas
This was a decently funny book. I found it to be quick and a very light easy going book. The main character was interesting and really helped make the book. I will admit this isn't a book I would typically read again. A decent read and may check more out by this author.
Becky Straub
Another 50 cent thrift store book. I was on cold meds while I read it but remember thinking it was an okay enough "Bridget Jones" style story.
Heather
Jul 30, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are on the brink of 30 and love the idea of dating older, rich and successful men- this book is for you. Cute, quick beach read.
Mel
Jul 05, 2016 Mel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
n/s
did not even finish this book. tried 2 different times to read it & was bored both times
Melissa
3.5 stars--Good chick lit. Pushing 30 Ellie with 50ish Ted. Ups and downs of romance.
Shirley perez
Feb 18, 2016 Shirley perez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the movie and the book and it is not a spoiler
Angie
May 20, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book despite it being a pretty standard chick book. It is chock full of oops and sorrys and misunderstandings. in the book Ellie is trying to get a spine so that she can lead a life that she will enjoy instead of what everyone thinks she should do. I liked that both Ellie and Ted had to fight against what everyone thought would be good for them to realize that they truly wanted to be together. I however was sad to see a character used and no resolution. Good book
Bookgirl89
Mar 22, 2013 Bookgirl89 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-rushed-it
I loved this book, Ellie was a funny character and i loved the dialogue and the plot. i saw myself in her, the only big diff between me and Ellie is that i say what i think when a person does me wrong, i wish she did that more. this book is my first May-December book and i loved it, i got it b/c of that fact. it ended too soon i think, some plot lines were open ended and I HATED THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was a 5/5 book but i got to the last page and was like WTF!!!!! :-(
Angie
Feb 08, 2010 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had mixed feelings about this book. As I am turning 30 this year I thought it might be a fun read, however the book really is little about Ellie turning 30, but just about life during the months leading up to the big 3-0. There were a number of events that were going on and I wish Gaskell had more clearly focused on just a couple of them instead of light focus on all of them without a lot of resolution. Overall, a light and enjoyable read.
Cori
This a was a light, quick read that I picked up because I'm nearing 30. I definitely identified with Ellie on her job woes and existential crisis. There were aspects that I felt were covered a little too much (I don't care what dress you were wearing), and other aspects I wish had been explored more (what is going on with the brothers?) but overall enjoyable.
Karen
Jul 17, 2009 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just an OK read for me. I wasn't very interested in the relationships that were the focus of the book and I found the main character slightly annoying. I'm all for the "every-girl" and have no problem overlooking faults but the main conflict seemed somewhat ridiculous. Overall I enjoyed the writing more than I enjoyed the plot.
alicatstrut
I do like the narrator, but I can't help but think about what an unbelievable moron she is every time she so obviously misreads a situation. And I can't help but roll my eyes every time she says she's a Good Girl and that's not what Good Girls do. Get the heck over it and do what people do.
Alice
Feb 06, 2012 Alice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
chick lit --contempary time period.
Young woman unsatisfied with life, career, family
love interest --older divorced man

reminds me of standard romance plot -- major problem is the main character isn't talking to her love interest-- in fact she's not talking to anyone.
treehugger
GREAT beach reading. Chicklit, so don't expect anything mind-blowing or anything much deeper than the musings of a 29 year old freaking out about not being married with children by the time of her 30th bday.

Fun, light, like a forgettable but enjoyable pastry.
Allie
Mar 23, 2012 Allie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am close to turning 30 so I enjoyed this book. It wasn't a page turner, but it was cute. The plot wasn't what I expected, but I still liked it overall. I probably feel that way because I liked the first book that I read of hers the best.
Brittany
Sep 17, 2012 Brittany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh. It was a cute book and I'm a fan of the writer but it was all wrapped up a little too neatly for my taste. That being said, it was a cute, solid, chick-lit story and I think people would enjoy it. It just wasn't anything special.
Charity
Sep 17, 2009 Charity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cute story by Whitney Gaskell about a woman on the verge of turning 30 (or twenty-ten, as I personally like to call it) who gets involved in a May-December relationship and begins to question many aspects about her life.
Maryruth Endicott
Feb 13, 2011 Maryruth Endicott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is a cute story and fun to read and was very enjoyable!!

It is a nice story about the struggles of finding what you really want in love, work and family.

• Fashionably Late
  • If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend
  • Sleeping Over
  • Always the Bridesmaid
  • A Wild Affair (Jessica Wild, #2)
  • Mean Season
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • Claire Voyant
  • The Edge of Heaven (The McRaes, #2)
  • Bare Necessity
  • Lucy's Launderette
  • I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) (Crandell Sisters, #2)
  • The Romancipation of Maggie Hunter
  • Gucci Gucci Coo
  • Getting Warmer
  • Try
  • Hand-Me-Down
  • The Breakup Club
Growing up, Whitney Gaskell always wanted to become a writer. Then for some unknown reason, she went to law school. TABLE FOR SEVEN is Whitney's eighth book. She also writes the Young Adult GEEK HIGH series under the name Piper Banks.
More about Whitney Gaskell...