Start by marking “Supreme Courtship” as Want to Read:
Supreme Courtship

Supreme Courtship

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  3,756 Ratings  ·  631 Reviews
President Donald Vanderdamp has had enough. One by one, the petty dictators of the Senate have been rejecting his candidates for the Supreme Court, citing reasons he can hardly fathom. To take revenge, the irate chief executive nominates the one jurist no red-blooded American male could refuse: Judge Pepper Cartwright, the super-hot, sharp-tongued star of television's most ...more
Published September 3rd 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Supreme Courtship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Supreme Courtship

Brooke
Sep 05, 2008 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, general-fiction
Buckley is back, this time taking on the Supreme Court. The set-up revolves around a TV court judge who gets nominated to the Supreme Court after the President gets pissed about his two previous nominees being turned down (one for a report on To Kill A Mockingbird from his elementary school days).

I enjoyed Supreme Courtship more than Buckley's last two novels, possibly because I'm just a little obsessed with the Supreme Court. It moved quickly as absurd situation after absurd situation piled on
Jeffrey
Sep 29, 2008 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christopher Buckley returns just in time for the new session, with a charming satire on the Supreme Court and the politics of confirming a Justice. Buckley is the current champ of political satire that is truly comedic. His tale of lobbyists , Thank You for Smoking was pure genius, and Supreme Courtship is a great addition to his body of work. The best part is that many of the far reaching parts of the book do not seem that far-fetched in the current political season.

Supreme Courtship starts w
Audrey
Aug 18, 2012 Audrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc
What a strange book, but somehow entirely in keeping with Buckley's oevre: the first half of the book? Brilliant. Scathing and funny, unique and fun. The second half? Disjointed heap of fail. A collapse of Greg Norman-like proportions.

The idea driving the concept of the book is sound: what if a President, annoyed with the whole Supreme Court nomination process, nominated someone who wasn't supposed to win? Who would that person be and what would happen if they, quite obviously, won? This is a g
Kelsey
Jul 18, 2013 Kelsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half of this book was filled with potential - it was supposed to be the rom com for SCOTUS nerds! But the second half fell completely flat. It is worth a read because although it was written in 2008, it presents a scary parody of the state of our country and presidential election today - reality tv stars, hostile congress, Supreme Court vacancy, and all.
Patrick
Oct 22, 2009 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Before I start talking about the book I have to admit my own ignorance. When I got this book from the library I didn't notice the author's name. As I got into the book I thought the political talk was extremely heavy handed. That is when I noticed the author's name and it made me think "Huh, wonder if it is any relation to that other Buckley?" Of course it is. And, well, it did not make the heavy handidness more enjoyable, but at least it explained it.

Every single character was an over the top c
Another very entertaining skewering of contemporary politics from Buckley, this one tackles the Supreme Court. The president, stung by the rejection of two eminently qualified jurists nominates a "judge judy" type character, the Texan Pepper Cartwright. She turns out to be unexpectedly popular...and near bullet proof in the confirmation hearings.

A modest sampling of this silliness:
"Hanratty of Massachusetts had tried to nail Pepper for her atheism, to which Pepper had calmly replied, 'Well, Sen
Drgibson63
Aug 14, 2008 Drgibson63 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Drgibson63 by: I received a review copy
Supreme Courtship is Christopher Buckley at his witty, laugh-out-loud best. The hilarious tale involves a president, frustrated that his two previous Supreme Court nominees were rejected by a petty senator for venal reasons, nominates the popular TV judge star of a Judge Judy-type show.

The characters' personalities are vivid, and readers will have fum deciphering which real DC or pop culture characters are being spoofed. Buckley has a spare, short-chapter, heavy dialogue pacing style that keeps
John of Canada
Nov 29, 2016 John of Canada rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: made-me-laugh
It was obvious to me that Buckley was having fun with this book.The latin references reminded me of an old Peter Cook routine in which he lamented not becoming a judge because"I didn't have the latin for the judging".I had a lot of fun trying to guess which judge was which(hello Antonin Scalia and Ruth Bader Ginsberg).I think I learned more about the inner workings of the Supreme Court than I should.Considering the date it was written,it was eerily similar to what went on this year in the U.S.
La
Lauren Cecile
Great concept but too fluffy. Even though it's satire, it would have been great with more substance and depth.
Lisa
Dec 30, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buying a book on the bargain rack is always a gamble. Regardless of the book’s merit, it is obviously on the rack because it did not sell. Perhaps the publisher overestimated the commercial appeal of the book. Or maybe the book came out at a busy time and was lost in the fray. Then, of course, the book could have received bad reviews and/or word of mouth. Still, at only $4-$6 a pop, the books are usually worth the risk.

I found Christopher Buckley’s Supreme Courtship on the bargain rack. I was q
Mike
Oct 19, 2009 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Supreme... pulp? This book is purely for fun only; despite being a story about supreme court justices, presidents and TV executives. It could easily be a serious drama with all those characters, but this is far from serious.

Most of the book is easy to read, and fun to follow the plot lines. The twists and turns are fairly predictable and never too sharp or outrageous. There are some nice little bits though. My favorite was the supreme court justice who was black, and as a lawyer agreed to defend
Tony
Buckley, Christopher. SUPREME COURTSHIP. (2008). ***. Buckley usually does better than this. The plot is thin. Donald P. Vanderdamp is the President of the United States. He is trying to fill a vacant seat on the Supreme Court, but is constantly opposed by the Senate Judiciary Committee, who, chaired by Dexter Mitchell, has rejected his last two nominees. In desperation, he searches about for another potential nominee, but he and his advisors have come up empty. While watching TV, he happens on ...more
Emily
Mar 10, 2010 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Maybe it was a mistake to read this immediately after rereading How I Became a Famous Novelist, which is a very, very funny book. I liked the plot of Buckley's satire of the Washington scene, but Buckley tries hard for witty dialogue and observations and I found these so broad that they fell flat. A few moments, like his prison rape joke, edged towards cringeworthy. His characterizations were equally broad and at times I lost sight of the fact that it was intentional and was instead reminded of ...more
Loyd Mcintosh
I'd probably give this book more like 2 3/4 stars if I could. The premise, as well as the first half of Supreme Courtship are absolutely hilarious then it did that thing so many great comedies do: it got serious on us. The idea of a television judge from a daytime courtroom show being nominated to the U.S. Supreme Court is one of the funniest ideas I've heard in a long time and Buckley pulls of this goofiness for the first half of the novel.

My guess is some editor convinced him, however, that t
Judy
Oct 05, 2009 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A political satire that deftly sets up the inside the Beltway crowd. President Donald Vanderdamp has had two very qualified nominees to the Supreme Court voted down in the Senate Judiciary Committee--one for some comments made in the school newspaper about To Kill a Mockingbird when he was in the 7th grade. In frustration, President Vanderdamp decides to throw the Senate a curve ball and nominate Pepper Cartwright, the judge on the highly rated television reality program Courtroom Six. The best ...more
Steven Harbin
Nov 06, 2008 Steven Harbin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of humor, parody, political satire
Shelves: fiction
I really enjoyed this book, author Christopher Buckley has his father's sense of humor and style, while writing in his own voice. While the premise is a little farfetched, it's not "that" far fetched, which lends believability to the humor and parody of the story. If you like subtle humor (ala P. G. Wodehouse) then I think you'll like this story of a television judge who gets elevated to the Supreme Court. I think anyone who's read some recent histories of the Supreme Court, such as "The Brethre ...more
David
Feb 17, 2013 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Buckley is riotusly funny. No matter how wild his senarios are they are far too close to what could be reality in this sound bite and ratings world we inhabit. This is especially true in that land of disfunction known as the nation's capital.

Having said that I'd give this book 5 stars except that it seems to suffer from the same decease that many other books and writers suffer from. That is kind of breaking the story off suddenly t get to the ending which isn't as satisfying as it could be.
Tamra
Oct 22, 2008 Tamra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to believe that the man who wrote Thank You for Smoking is also responsible for this mess. It isn't at all funny, it treats its readers like morons*, there are few clever turns of phrase, and what he passes off as satire is really just thinly-veiled, mean-spirited swipes at Justices past and present.

* Generally speaking, somebody who reads Christopher Buckley's work doesn't need inane little notes explaining who the first man on the moon was, Bush v. Gore, or how the Constitution is am
Josie
Jul 12, 2012 Josie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although not as strong as some of his other novels, Buckley is in fine form. This time his novel, 'Supreme Courtship', pokes fun at the United States' most venerable institution, the Supreme Court, and as usual, Buckley is spot on in capturing the absurdity, while sounding totally plausible, of politics in the Beltway, and the media that covers it. 'Supreme Courtship' kept me giggling all the way through, and was the perfect summer book--light (literally, too, at only 285 pages) and entertaining ...more
Andrea
Aug 31, 2008 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: politcal humor junkies
Shelves: politics
This is the first book I've read in ages that actually made me laugh out loud - when I wasn't busy heaving sighs of painful recognition. The book started out with a bang and managed to sustain that level right to the very end, a rare happening these days. The only bad thing about it is that the scenario could actually happen, a truly scary prospect. But other than that, this was a wonderfully entertaining, fun book.
Greg Allan Holcomb
Picked this up because my sister likes this author.

The first 100 pages were great. The next 100 dragged ass on the ground over broken glass. The last 100 pages were great.

It's the story of a TV judge nominated for the US Supreme Court. Great concept but all the jokes were in the annotations.
Sherbert
Apr 28, 2010 Sherbert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated this book. HATED. It's the only C. Buckley I have ever read, but his blunt and sophomoric approach to satire will keep me from ever reading anything else. I laughed approximately never. His dialogue is also terrible...dude has no ear for speech and no ability to develop a character's voice.
Caroline
If I could give this 3 1/2 stars, I would - it is just shy of four stars. Plenty of laugh out loud moments - a clever, funny, insightful look at America's political muck. It slows a bit at the end, as if the author wasn't sure how to bring everything together. But it is still worth the read. Many hilarious moments - a MUST read for any political junkie.
Julia
Feb 27, 2013 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In law school, I dreamed about being a judge. It was not to be, but this book was a humourous fulfillment of my daydream. All the judicial and political inside jokes and the clever use of Latin and footnotes winked at the way Washingtonians take themselves WAY too seriously. I love to laugh out loud when I read a book, and the clever writing in this book definitely had me guffawing.
Tasula
Jul 30, 2015 Tasula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I get such a kick out of Christopher Buckley's political satires- loved Thank You For Smoking, Boomsday, No Way to Treat a First Lady, and this was also very good, especially the first half which was LOL funny in many places. It's about an unpopular president faced with filling a Supreme Court vacancy, who watches a TV court judge and is inspired to nominate her for the USA's highest court.
Kemper
Feb 03, 2009 Kemper rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, politics
A lot of fun to read. Lots of great humor at the expense of the government and the kind of people who willingly work there.
Michelle
Feb 04, 2009 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was awful - I couldn't wait for it to be over. The dialogue wasn't very witty and the plot was annoying.
Adam
May 16, 2017 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brisk, mildly entertaining read. The pacing is incredibly disjointed, though, which really throws you off. It is often really difficult to tell how much time has gone by since the previous chapter - and in a book that's got a lot to do with a character's inexperience, you'd think Buckley would toss us a bone or two of character development to help us understand how things are changing.

Buckley was clearly having way too much fun with the character names, but everything else in here that's suppo
James
May 07, 2017 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christopher Buckley is a skilled, witty and compassionate writer. In 'Supreme Courtship' he gives us an enjoyable tale of of TV judge elevated to the Supreme Court. Buckley uses this to give a glimpse off the Supreme Court inner workings.

Comedy and a civics lesson, all in one.

That the book doesn't reach the heights of 'Thank You For Smoking' or the craziness of 'They Eat Puppies, Don't They?' just means you have a fun read, as opposed to knee slapping read, ahead of you.
Mike Corgan
May 12, 2017 Mike Corgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Very entertaining and well written. Even though almost 10 years old, still relevant today.
Phi Alpha Delta B...: Discussion - Supreme Courtship 2 5 Sep 10, 2016 09:19PM
  • Cross Dressing
  • Donny and Ursula Save the World
  • Watchdogs of Democracy?: The Waning Washington Press Corps and How It Has Failed the Public
  • Lord Vishnu's Love Handles: A Spy Novel (Sort Of)
  • I'm With Fatty: Losing Fifty Pounds in Fifty Miserable Weeks
  • Encyclopedia of Bad Taste
  • Dog Days
  • Saving the Queen
  • Rowdy in Paris
  • The American Way of War: Guided Missiles, Misguided Men, and a Republic in Peril
  • A People's History of the Supreme Court: The Men and Women Whose Cases and Decisions Have Shaped Our Constitution
  • Put A Lid On It
  • Poisoning the Press: Richard Nixon, Jack Anderson, and the Rise of Washington's Scandal Culture
  • Intelligence: A Novel of the CIA
Christopher Buckley graduated cum laude from Yale University in 1976. He shipped out in the Merchant Marine and at age 24 became managing editor of Esquire magazine. At age 29, he became chief speechwriter to the Vice President of the United States, George H.W. Bush. Since 1989 he has been founder and editor-in-chief of Forbes Life magazine.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Good
More about Christopher Buckley...

“How many times had those awful words - "I know what I'm doing" - been uttered throughout history as prelude to disaster? ” 26 likes
“Nothing raises the national temperature more than a VACANCY sign hanging from the colonnaded front of the Supreme Court. ” 7 likes