Start by marking “Brokeback Mountain ” as Want to Read:
Brokeback Mountain

Brokeback Mountain (Wyoming Stories)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  19,767 Ratings  ·  1,378 Reviews
Annie Proulx has written some of the most original and brilliant short stories in contemporary literature, and for many readers and reviewers, "Brokeback Mountain" is her masterpiece.

Published November 1st 2005 by Scribner Book Company (first published October 13th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Brokeback Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brokeback Mountain

Lola  Reviewer
The shirt seemed heavy until he saw there was another shirt inside it, the sleeves carefully worked down inside Jack’s sleeves. It was his own plaid shirt, lost, he’d thought, long ago in some damn laundry, his dirty shirt, the pocket ripped, buttons missing, stolen by Jack and hidden here inside Jack’s own shirt, the pair like two skins, one inside the other, two in one.

Sometimes, I want to cry.

When I hear of cases of gay adolescents and adults who commit suicide because they are harassed, th
Raeleen Lemay
Third book down for the #BookTubeAThon!

I think this would have worked better in longer form, as it felt way too rushed. This was a very character driven story, but I feel like I didn't get to know the characters all that well.

I'm excited to watch the movie tonight!

So I watched the movie, and it was a very good adaptation of the story! Many direct quotes from the story were used, and it followed the exact same plot but fleshed it out a lot more. Not the most exciting movie of all time, b
Mar 04, 2013 TK421 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normally, I would never read something like this. No, I am not homophobic (my older brother is gay); but I do get uncomfortable when reading about two men kissing. So, needless to say, I wasn't expecting much from this very short novella.

Let me be the first to say how utterly wrong I was. This novella is not merely about two men who fall in love; it is about love itself. The love story these men share is intense, stormy, beautiful, and heart-wrenching, and I found myself thankful that I have on
I picked this up at the library last night because it was a tiny book, perfect for today's lunch time read.

I'm ashamed to say that I attempted to watch the film, but fell asleep about 45 minutes in. Now that I've read this story, I'm going to revisit the film.

This is the first time I've read Annie Proulx. It is amazing how much story she covers in so few pages. Her spare prose, concise style and quiet intensity really worked for me.

An absolutely beautiful, heartbreaking love story! Makes me wan
4 stars. Sad but engaging short story of forbidden love.

This is a critically acclaimed story that has won multiple awards and was made into a successful movie. I'm not sure that there is much for me to say that hasn't been already said better by others -- so I will keep my comments brief, but spoiler-free.

In short, this story starts in early 1960's Wyoming where two teen boys meet on Brokeback Mountain where they are working as ranch hands. They form an immediate bond, but society at this tim
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*
May 27, 2013 Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: next-up

Review to come.

This is the first time I like the movie more than the book...

I'm fucking terrified that yesterday will mean a lackadaisicaling of today, wherein a legal, incorporated, minute change of one of many laws interwoven in the Hetereosexual Agenda banishes the rest to the "what more could you need?" closet and the society spectacle incineration. This work has been termed apolitical by some, but seriously, how can you call a history of human sacrifice apolitical? Not even dwelling on the money, status, and human network so often illegally amputated and afterwards ...more
Oct 11, 2016 Puck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That's fine. I didn't need my heart anyway.

This book is like a punch in the gut. I never thought that a short story could have such an impact on me. This isn’t simply a book about two cowboys falling in love: this is the heartbreaking tale of Jack and Ennis who love each other, but deny it not only because they’re afraid of the outside world, but also of their own feelings.
America in the 1960’s wasn’t a safe place for homosexuals after all, and if society can’t accept them, how can they accept
JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust
This novel is surprisingly short . . . which makes it difficult to rate the book unbiasedly :-/ I found myself replaying the (exceptional) movie in my mind the entire time.

. . .

. . .

. . . . Now please excuse my while I imagine this scene over and over again ..

Yes, "Brokeback Mountain" is a love story. Yes It's also about two conflicted men sublimating their homosexuality to heterosexual convention. About friendship. About male bonding. And, Yes, about cowboys, the West, prejudice, being true to oneself (or not), the consequences of feigned affection and the consequences of failing to fully honor real affection. All of this Annie Proulx crams into 55 pages.

These 55 pages slayed me

Who's to say what we will love?. It needn't be conventional as Jack and
I read this as part of a collection, Close Range: Brokeback Mountain and Other stories, reviewed here:, along with additional quotations, and comments on the language.

I knew this exquisite story well from the film, and the two are very similar.

It is a story of unexpected and irresistible passion, longing and loss - understated and never graphic.

Jack and Ennis meet, lust and love one summer, and meet up over the years, despite starting more conventional

“Gay cowboy love story” may be how it’s often summed up, but that’s flippant. Brokeback Mountain is emotional, resonant, and ultimately gut-wrenching--and quietly so. This is a humble story, tightly focused almost exclusively on young Wyoming cowboys Ennis and Jack as they spend a summer working together on Brokeback Mountain. Before long they’re forced to reconcile their love for each other with their everyday, conventional, socially acceptable lives.

What’s most powerful about
Aug 10, 2016 Trish rated it it was amazing
This story is every bit as compelling, heart wrenching and beautiful as everyone claims. A true masterpiece of short fiction.

Update 8/10/16

My mind is still reeling with thoughts of Ennis and Jack; the story was simply intimate and heart breaking. It's amazing how much power and weight words can carry with them. Works like Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton and "Brokeback Mountain" by Annie Proulx have taught me that it's about quality, not quantity. Frankly, any author that can move me to tears in le
I never really had any intention of reading this book. I've never seen the movie either. (Though I might now. I'm curious how they handled it.) Stories about ranchers & cowboys don't exactly draw me in. To be honest, Annie Proulx's stories don't have much appeal to me in general. I can't really put my finger on it, but they just don't scream "Read me!" when I see one.

Anyway, I had to go to the library to stop them from billing me for a book I'd already returned, and while I was there, I hap
Apr 30, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recentreads
I enjoyed reading the short story two weeks ago and finally had the opportunity to see the movie. I was concerned about the film staying true to the short story in terms of characterization and atmosphere. The reading was enjoyable; I didn’t want to sour the memory of it by an unfulfilling movie. I was pleasantly surprised. Director Ang Lee and screen writers Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana did a brilliant job of interpreting and synchronizing the original text into a script. I honestly feel tha ...more
This is a short story, sixty four pages, but Annie Proulx crafted a heck of a story in sixty four pages. The characters, even the minor ones, are described so vividly that ever detail is burned into your mind. The same with the setting, the back ranges of rugged Wyoming and the small cowboy towns, place you right in the middle of Ennis and Jack's existence. The story, as most people know from the movie, is about the love these two young men find with one another. Even though they are both marri ...more
Joana Catarina
May 31, 2016 Joana Catarina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
O filme de 2005 é um dos meus favoritos de sempre e só anos depois de o ter visto pela primeira vez é que percebi que foi inspirado num conto de Annie Proulx com o mesmo título publicado em 1997.

Ontem à noite peguei finalmente nele e deixo a minha opinião completa aqui:
This short story is about the choices we make, and the consequences we have to live with.

I haven't watched 'Brokeback Mountain', though I've been meaning to for years now. I'm not a big movie-watcher, so it always gets pushed back. But I am a big reader, so I thought I might as well read the short story that inspired the movie.

Ennis and Jack's romance isn't pretty. It's a reflection of the time and place they were living in. The two are mean to each other, and to the women they married. Yet they
Dec 15, 2014 Zaara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes words come together in ways that twist knives you didn't know you still had in your gut.
Proulx achieves this with a stark economy (tautology almost, but I wanted both words) that leaves you both breathless and on the verge of hyperventilation.
It's been long since I had such a visceral reaction to the written word.
I wanted it to last longer. And at the same time, I can't see how it could have.
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧ •°**★Camelot Dreamer❧ •°**★
4 Heartfelt Stars!

GAWD, Jack and Ennis....they love so hard.

The book, the message IMO, was about homophobia. And it was a bitch to read. (view spoiler)
Viv JM
I've never seen the movie of this, so I went in with no preconceptions, and I loved it. It was beautiful, tender and oh-so heartbreaking, and the writing was exquisite.

I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Campbell Scott, and would thoroughly recommend it.
Serena Yates
Jul 20, 2010 Serena Yates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
This book was chosen for me in the 'pick it for me challenge' in the m/m romance group here on goodreads. It's a classic (or should be), I saw the movie years ago, and I was amazed how short the book is.

This is one of the most well written stories I have ever read. In places, it is more like a sketch than a painting. And yet it describes the main characters and their awful dilemma and, ultimately, suffering in such clear pictures that it broke my heart all over again.

This is one of the few "trag
Mar 03, 2014 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, romance

The quiet crush of depression creeps up on you with this one. At first, I was wondering about all the fuss as the the first third of the story laid out. By the midsection, the road ahead was pretty obvious, but didn't take any of the wallop out of the end. Bloody, Motherfuckin', God-Damned Sonnabitch!

Two men with no clue how to get what they really want and wasting time until there ain't no more.
«Ojalá supiera cómo renunciar a tí.»

Me sorprendió mucho la forma tan linda de escribir de Annie Proulx. Es poético y muy específico al mismo tiempo. Todo en esta historia corta ocurre rápido, como el paso de los años. Eso sin embargo no nos va a impedir sufrir. Están avisados.

Esta es la historia de Jack Twist y Ennis del Mar, dos cowboys pastores de ovejas (¿o sheepboys?) que se conocen por accidente gracias a un trabajo en Brokeback Mountain. Entre ellos surge una atracción que los toma por
I don't even know where to start on this one. I read it almost 24 hours ago and it has played on a loop in my brain since then.
Another reviewer used the word 'bereft' when describing how this book made them feel. I think that's a pretty accurate emotional description.

Proulx's writing is sublime. I'm certain I don't have enough words in my vocabulary to describe how intensely, eerily beautiful her prose is. From the first paragraph I couldn't look away. I kept re-reading sections because her wr
Petra X
May 05, 2015 Petra X rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is the first audio book I've 'read'. It was much more akin to listening to a radio play than sitting reading a book. There was no effort involved and by the nuancing of the narrator the book was interpreted for me. It was fast-paced, no time to sit and ponder a paragraph, no natural break between chapters just a pause. I can't say I enjoyed it, it felt fake, it felt like cheating, it felt like the dumbed-down version - all the work done for me and no need to particularly concentrate either, ...more
Rachel Eliason
Jun 20, 2007 Skip rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Rural America
This story is probably the perfect length for laying out in the yard on a Sunday afternoon. I'm thinking of a hammock...

But anyway, I guess we're supposed to talk about the "writing."
A real economy of language. Very sparse. It's like Proulx kept carving away down to just what was essential. And yet, this beautiful landscape and beautiful (and sad) love story comes through so sharply.

You almost can't not mention the film.
And I have to say, I was pretty impressed. Lots of detalil in the film. I
Lyndi Borthwick
Apr 14, 2016 Lyndi Borthwick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist, two ranch hands, come together when they're working as sheepherder and camp tender one summer on a range above the tree line. At first, sharing an isolated tent, the attraction is casual, inevitable, but something deeper catches them that summer.

Both men work hard, marry, and have kid
A cowboy story with superfluous descriptions of gunslingers and traditional masculine bravado has always been and still is very stifling, repellent and misleading to me. Lingering on this thought I started the book and to my surprise I loved it! Two men falling deeply in love with each other doomed in this homophobic world typifies the suggestion that love can exist in any form, against all odds. Now, for me what remained stifling in this book was the society’s powerful indictment of male love, ...more
Around the Year i...: Brokeback Mountain, by Annie Proulx 4 16 Oct 02, 2016 09:02PM
500 Great Books B...: Brokeback Mountain - Annie Proulx - Kathleen 3 17 Apr 12, 2016 06:40AM
Books2Movies Club: Brokeback Mountain 8 32 Apr 02, 2016 05:38PM
2016 Reading Chal...: Brokeback Mountain - Annie Proulx 4 23 Feb 05, 2016 09:31PM
Relevant books to Brokeback Mountain? 4 82 Jan 29, 2015 09:49AM
  • The Front Runner (Harlan's Story, #1)
  • The Charioteer
  • At Swim, Two Boys
  • The Coming Storm
  • The Beauty of Men
  • Father of Frankenstein
  • The Lord Won't Mind (Peter & Charlie Trilogy)
  • Swish: My Quest to Become the Gayest Person Ever
Also published as E. Annie Proulx
Edna Annie Proulx is an American journalist and author. Her second novel, The Shipping News (1993), won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award for fiction in 1994. Her short story "Brokeback Mountain" was adapted as an Academy Award, BAFTA and Golden Globe Award-winning major motion picture released in 2005. Brokeback Mountain received massive c
More about Annie Proulx...

Wyoming Stories (3 books)
  • Close Range
  • Bad Dirt
  • Fine Just the Way it Is

“I wish I knew how to quit you.” 366 likes
“There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.” 98 likes