Start by marking “The Alchemist” as Want to Read:
The Alchemist

The Alchemist

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  350 ratings  ·  55 reviews
In a sweeping epic of dazzling magic, soaring suspense, and dark longing, three immortal souls are united by fate and a fearless ambition that will change the course of history–even as it destroys their own way of life. . . .

On an upper floor of a plush, high-security building on Central Park West, an elegant man sits in the office of Dr. Anne Kramer, confessing to the he
Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Alchemist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alchemist

Celina
My absolute facorite book...brought me to another world while so much was happening in my life at that time.
April
Embarrassing confession to make. I've heard from several people how much they enjoyed, "The Alchemist." One of my Goodreads friends reviewed it and I thought, "Oh! I've heard a lot of people say they like that, I'll have to read it." Didn't pay attention to the author. Went to the library, searched and this came up. I read the whole thing, thinking, "ok it's slightly entertaining, but really?! What's all the fuss."
I probably wouldn't have even finished it except that I kept thinking it must red
Chris
I was in a bookshop and saw this book and liked its title and its cover art, so I made a mental note to pick up a copy from the library.

When I did, months later, I read the book and enjoyed it.

Some time after, my mom and I were shopping in another bookstore and I saw the book and recommended it to her. I picked it up and flipped through it, scratching my head and wondering what the heck was going on.

Turns out I'd read the wrong "Alchemist" - I had meant to grab the one by P. Coelho, but instead
Cornelia
I loved this book, it's an incredible historcal fantasy that begins in ancient Egypt and moves up to modern times. Wonderful characters. So intriguing. A beautiful read.
Dana Stanton
I almost always like books that involve ancient Egypt and this one was no different. It was a fun romp through history with wizards and the like. SPOILER I didn't give it more stars as the author seemed to use the same trick multiple times - the old mistaken death trick. I also was somewhat disappointed in the ending. I would have enjoyed the story had the author expanded on the final grizzly act - it was almost an after thought and then BANG the books ends. In any case, it was a fun read and a ...more
Benjamin Thomas
A charismatic man enters a therapist's office in New York City after having committed one of the most hi-vis murders in history. But he claims he is not of our modern era, instead he is an immortal, born into ancient Egypt and going by the name "Han". He proceeds to tell the therapist the story of his long life, and indeed, this is the vast majority of the novel. Han was a student of the House of Ra, where the secrets of magic and science, alchemy and engineering are learned. Along with his two ...more
This story of Ancient Egypt and dark magic could have been more enjoyable if it had been written slightly differently. The Alchemist contains a great concept that was written well, but not in a style I particularity like. The wording is heavy on the description and that seems to prevent the storyline from gathering any steam. This book spans from Ancient Egypt to present day in just 240 pages, so the great ideas presented in the book aren't expanded on much. The book is short, but by no means an ...more
Sharon
Uh - this was an interesting one. I have already read the 'other' Alchemist which I really liked and suggested to my husband and The Alchemist's Daughter which was a pretty decent read as well so I went into this Alchemist with good expectations. First of all, I had heard nothing about this book and so was suprised as I began to read the first page that it was a story of ancient Egypt- which I adore. I liked Boyd's portrayal of the main characters at first. But then things kindof slid downhill f ...more
Juliette
I set off to read this book (and not the other one) because I enjoyed the werewolf books by Donna Boyd. Though her first person storytelling worked well in The Passion and The Promise, I'm not so sure it worked as well for this book. I'm also complaining because it was too short. I would have enjoyed much more storytelling of the House of Ra and the character Darius who I found far more interesting than Nefar or even Han. Though I understand that this is a story of the three (Nefar, Han, and Aka ...more
Chris
About the best thing I can say about this book is that it was relatively short--although not short enough. It is overblown, overwrought, and overwritten. The three main characters are all horrible people whom I couldn't care anything about. The basic premise is a good one. In ancient Egypt a special school trained young people in the magical arts. Han, Nefar, and Akan are extremely talented on their own, but together they are almost unstoppable. Despite being immortal and close to omnipotent, Ha ...more
Lori Anderson
You know, I'm on the fence between Three Stars and Two Stars with this one.

For one, I don't care at all for Egyptology. And while I enjoy fantasy, I didn't like THIS kind of fantasy.

However, there were parts of the book that were quite fascinating.

So I gave it Three Stars.

Not sure I'd recommend it -- this one will have to be one you decide upon yourself.

Lori Anderson

Lori Anderson:The Store
Pretty Things:The Blog
Facebook
Alison Norris
Realized a few chapters in that this was not THE The Alchemist but finished it anyway.
Christie
ok so i read this book not know ing their are two books witht he same name but different authors. i guess in the overall it was a good story. she does a good job uf painting the picture and you could easily find yourself in this world. i also liked the way it spanded across melleniums. however i did not like how when it finaly comes to tie every thing in and tell you the point or reason or mening or andy thing realy all thier is a blank space. it didnt realy feal like a compleat story but it cou ...more
Michael Deuna
gonna start reading this book
Barbara Ell
This was an interesting read. I picked it up at the bookstore because of the title. This is the story of immortality. It starts in Ancient Egypt and follows immortals throughout history. The majority of the story is set in Egypt, then skips forward to the end of the Middle Ages and then skips to the present day.

It is a short book, and easy reading. At times I wish that the author could have expanded a little more, but by the end most of the loose ends are tied up.
Amber Strussion
I got this book because they were out of everything at the library and I had written it down as one of the books that Megan read. Well, it's a different book, same title. I really liked it, though! It's about an immortal, magical man that tells his story spanning throughout many centuries. You definitely lose yourself in his magical world and it leaves you thinking about how yesterday's "magic" is today's technology. Overall, it was a good read.
Laurel
So my husband read this book and told me that I should read it. It's not what I expected, but I couldn't help but liking it. It's basically the story of the history of the world told from the point of view of an Egyptian alchemist who lived it all and was influential in it all. There are murder scenes that are rather graphic but oddly not gratuitously so. I would not recommend this book for everyone, even though I did like it.
Aline
Rien à voir avec l'Alchimiste de Coelo. Ici il est question d'immortels à l'époque du grand empire égyptien, jusqu'à nos jours. Le roman aurait mérité 300 pages de plus,j'aurais aimé que le 2ème millénaire soit aussi développé que l'antiquité égyptienne, du coup, j'ai un sentiment de facilité. Un peu lent à démarrer, mais une fois lancé, on ne s'arrête plus.Ecriture agréable, divertissant mais dispensable.
Tiff
This book started of great and was intriguing however as it went on it became extremely hard to read. I found myself having to push through to the parts that were good. One of my main complaints (which maybe some people will enjoy) was that it was too descriptive. I typically like historical fiction and books that have relatable characters this one for me was a bit out there for me.

Rebecca
I read this for my book club to find out that it was the wrong one. It was interesting how this author depicts someone who lives for many life times. It was as though they get board and they don't value life. It made me wonder if there is possibly people out there that can live forever, that has had there baptism by fire. I did learn quite a bit about alchemists and their functions.
Amy Beth
This is not "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho, a more well-known book by the same name. However, it is an incredible fantastical story that takes you back in time comparable in a way (at least I believe) to the DaVinci code or Angels and Demons. I highly recommend it and remember finding myself thouroughly absorbed in the world that this book introduced me to.
Mandy
From what I remember, I absolutely loved this book. I just wish it would have been longer. This is covering a character from Ancient Egypt, maybe before, until the present. There was just so much there that could have been expanded on.

I'm sure it had other flaws, but it's been a few years and if I have mostly fond memories of it, that's all that probably matters.
Mahdis
I selected the wrong title on my original entry of the alchemist. I jsut realized I read the wrong book, but this book was very entertaining. It is an interesting approach to the magical world. I found some anti-organized religion references. It was a very interesting perspective. Now I am going to read the book I originally intended to read :)
Coleen Williams
I enjoyed this book as everything was laid out for me. A great gap stop for anyone who has read to much and only wish to be 'led along for the ride'.

Outside of finding her other books difficult to find at the book store I would do another Donna Boyd.

♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
This book took me a bit to get into. The alchemist was confusing and I didn't fully understand what was going on. This book was just okay for me since it was the third book for me from Ms. Boyd. I couldn't get into this one as much as her other two.
Wil
I vaguely remember liking the premise of the story, but feeling like the author just didn't do enough with it. I did enjoy it, nonetheless. It might translate well to film, but care would have to be exercised in not letting it get cheesy.
Lindy
Read this one by mistake when I meant to read the OTHER Alchemist. Was wondering who the heck in my book club would pick this one- wasn't very good. About magic used throughout the ages, starting in Egypt. I don't recommend it.
Eileen
Mar 31, 2012 Eileen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I actually decided I was not interested in this after all, mostly because I couldn't remember why I wanted it before I had to stop renewing it at the library. I don't have as much time to read as I would like.
Annette
Boring, slow and dull. I think everyone meant a different "Alchemist" book. Which one? There are so many titles. But this one only made it into chapter 3 before I finally set it down never to return.
Nicole
Apparently, I already read this - goes to show you how unremarkable the book is. Thriller in the vein of The Eight but not nearly as well done. I'd categorize this as mindless fodder for a plane ride.
  • The Mummy: A Handbook of Egyptian Funerary Archaelogy
  • Night Life
  • A God Against the Gods
  • Lord of the Fantastic: Stories in Honor of Roger Zelazny
  • Heart of the Mummy (Scream Street, #3)
  • Shadow of the Sheikh (Immortal Sheikhs #2)
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
  • Dark Cities Underground
  • Seer of Egypt (The King's Man, #2)
  • The Third Translation
  • Dead Men's Hearts (Gideon Oliver, #8)
  • Odds And Gods
  • Cat on a Hyacinth Hunt (Midnight Louie, #9)
  • Pharaoh (Kleopatra, #2)
  • The Tutankhamun Affair
  • Mummy
  • Hypnerotomachia Poliphili: "The Strife of Love in a Dream"
  • Eye of the Moon
aka Donna Ball, Rebecca Flanders, Donna Carlisle
With Shannon Harper as Leigh Bristol, Taylor Brady

Donna A. Ball born in 1951 in Georgia, USA. Her ancestors were one of the first pioneer families of North Georgia, and her family still lives on the land they purchased from the Cherokee in 1782.

Her first book was published in 1982 as Donna Ball, since them she has written over a dozen works of commer
More about Donna Boyd...
The Passion (Devoncroix Dynasty, #1) The Promise (Devoncroix Dynasty, #2) The Awakening Renegade (Devoncroix Dynasty, #3) Evolve Reach Admission Assessment Exam Review