Start by marking “Primera Nieve En El Monte Fuji” as Want to Read:
Primera Nieve En El Monte Fuji

Primera Nieve En El Monte Fuji

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  487 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Estos relatos son a la vez una ventana al muy específico mundo doméstico de la posguerra japonesa y una reflexión, destilada al máximo, sobre los sentimientos y las contradicciones humanas, sobre el ser y la memoria, sobre las incógnitas de la belleza y del silencio. Dos de ellos, Yumira y El cristantemo en la roca, fueron incluidos posteriormente en una antología de sus c ...more
Published March 28th 2003 by Grupo Editorial Norma

To ask other readers questions about Primera Nieve En El Monte Fuji, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Primera Nieve En El Monte Fuji

Praj

The “I” in me seems to have disappeared. Or perhaps I ought to say that a different “I” has been living inside me.”

This book was supposed to be my very first Kawabata. But as fate or rather a clumsy and lethargic online courier service would have it, I had to somehow make peace with his full length novels. Nonetheless, I’m glad at these destined turn of events, for if it had not been Kawabata’s elaborate prose, I would have never found the mysticism of silence that subtly encompassed his liter
Mariel
Jan 29, 2012 Mariel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: it's no good
Recommended to Mariel by: walking in my shoes
"Silence is not meaningless, as you yourself have... I think that sometime before I die I would like to get inside silence, at least for a while."

.........

My favorite story in First Snow on Fuji is "Silence". A writer is paralyzed from stroke and writes no more. Tongue and right hand paralyzed and the narrator suspects that the left hand could communicate if it still chose. What controls and uses are there in words, and why would someone with powers over them deny themselves, or others, their m
David
This is now my favourite collection of short fiction ... ever. I thought every one of these, and on every page, was moving, inspiring and beautiful. This guy makes it look so easy! I love Kawabata when you feel that he's got you by the hand and he's taking you through ... like some sort of Willy Wonka ... the landscape and family situations he's arranged just for you.

This Country, That Country:
The best thing about being "culturally significant" must be the random places your turn up. Princess M
Niles Stanley
Kawabata is more famous in Japan for his very short stories, such as those in 'Palm of the Hand Stories', and more famous in the West for his novels. I can vouch for his novels, the ones I have read are fantastic.

This was my first venture into his shorter fiction, however, and these stories fall on the in between. They are between 10 and 50 pages, and you can tell that this length is not Kawabata's strongest form. Some stories do suffer from either having too much or too little information in t
Fran
There's a sparseness about these stories. And subtlety. It surprised me to learn they were written in the fifties, but since there are references to post-war Japan, not so surprising. My favourite was First Snow on Fuji where infidelity plays a part. A number of his stories are about husbands or wives stepping out.
German Patarroyo
Japanesse literature is a contradiction....you do not understand sometimes some situations but only the japanesse books shows the world with a very sutile touch....is something familiar to sit down on a hill and to look at the dawn for a few moments
James
The beauty of spare prose combined with the complications of conflicted emotions is the way I would describe the titular story in this collection. Yasunari Kawabata, whose novel Thousand Cranes moved me some years ago, manages to convey the sorrows of Japan through a chance meeting between two former lovers in the short story "First Snow on Fuji". In this spare story, as with much of the prose this very modern author, the chance meeting leads to a planned encounter. A trip to the country yields ...more
Bernardo
Esto es lo primero que leo de Yawabata, y me recordó mucho a otro japonés más contemporáneo cuya prosa seductora dibuja personajes enigmáticos, dramáticos y apasionantes: imagino que Murakami Haruki tuvo en él a un maestro.
Particularmente "Sin Palabras" y "Lo que su esposo no hizo" (este último quizá por un error de imprenta, o intencionalmente, me pareció se confundía con otro cuento, probablemente titulado "Un pueblo llamado Yumiura") fueron los más poderosos.
La obra del final, sí pasé de ella
Dia
Can a story be done as haiku? Each of the stories here seems to be an experiment with that question. Each presents a season, two images, and a nonconceptual but emphatic link between the two images. Here the sewing machine and the umbrella are not simply juxtaposed on a dissecting table; rather, the one bumps into the other and is bumped into in turn while a warm spring rain and faded cherry blossoms spill and pool about the pair. And after the two part, each going his own way, it seems as likel ...more
Meryl
Meh. These short stories did not have much of an arch. It was more like, "Let's just watch these people for a few days...OK, and we're done." I did like the story that the book is named after, and the first one was nice too. Prettily written, but just not my cup o'tea.
Yoake
Primera nieve en el monte Fuji es un conjunto de relatos publicados después del primer éxito de Kawabata, tras la guerra, y antes de haber escrito las novelas por las que es más conocido en Occidente. Son diez y los voy a nombrar todos simplemente por facilitar la búsqueda: En aquel país, en este país, Una hilera de ginkgo, Con naturalidad, Gotas de lluvia, El crisantemo en la roca, Primera nieve en el monte Fuji, Sin palabras, Lo que su esposo no hacía, Un pueblo llamado Yumiura y Las muchachas ...more
Jay
The first Kawabata I read, I particularly like the title story, "A Row of Trees" and "Yumiura". They are subtle short stories and, while each has a particular theme, memory, its mutability and loss are a common theme (is this mono no aware?). For me they relate to Proust, Modiano, Murakami and Auster.
Katerin Reyes
Al principio, las primeras dos historias no me cautivaron si no que me hicieron sentir molesta por el comportamiento de los personajes y los muchos diálogos, así que decidí echarle un vistazo a El Crisantemo en la Roca directamente antes de darme por vencida... y toda mi perspectiva cambio, un mundo maravilloso se expandió ante mi. Lo único que siguió frustrandome es que tendré que volver a leer el libro en unos 10 años para comprender que es lo que quiere decirme, porque las historias van mucho ...more
Alejandra Reyes
En general me gustaron bastante los cuentos, es fácil imaginarse todo lo descrito y entender lo que piensan y sienten los personajes. Mi único problema es que siento que estoy perdiendo mucho en la traducción, por ejemplo en algunos cuentos el escritor utiliza los nombres de los personajes casi en cada frase, por lo que asumo que en japones estos nombres tienen algún significado especial en relación a la historia.

Este es mi primer libro de Kawabata, espero leer pronto alguna novela ya que los c
GONZA
Alcuni di questi racconti sono dei capolavori, altri sono soltanto bellissimi.
Tank Green
i'm quite suprised that i'm managing to get through this, given my problems with fiction nowadays, but i am.

i'm even more surprised since, other than 'chrysanthemum in the rock', 'first snow on fuji', and 'silence', i don't even particularly like this book.

the writing is dreamy but it lacks purpose or meaning; as some other reviewer said, they're really just sketches of people's lives.

the three stories listed above are better though, especially 'chrysanthemum in the rock'. i liked that one a lot
Michael
I love Kawabata, this is a collection of short stories. Kawabata purposely write sparsely and with precision. It is a style that lends it's self to the genre, sadly there are not a lot of his stories in english translation. As a bonus, there is a dance drama at the end of the collection which I always seeing. "Nature" is probably the best story in the group. It's about a man who became a female actress to escape enlisting for the war. The gender identities explored are fairly shocking considerin ...more
Poupee
Sinceramente me apena aceptar que los premio Nobel me cuestan trabajo, tal vez mi nivel lector no es suficiente, aunado a que este autor repite los nombres japoneses cada renglón y me hacía bolas, terminé dandome cuenta que no avanzaba y preferí abandonar a unas cuantas historias, de hecho lo dejé en la segunda parte del cuento que le da nombre al libro, casi casi lo acabo, pero no pude!!! Oh, lo confieso, no estoy lista para un Nobel japonés, espero el Sr. No se retuerza en su tumba japonesa po ...more
Nina
What I loved about this was the emotionality that Kawabata captures about so many regular but rarely discussed challenges in life. It is all very cerebral and you imagine his characters living more in their head than they do in their lives. Just like Murakami, most, if not all of the characters are struggling to have meaningful relationships and establish connections with others.
Peter Rock
Overwhelmed by student writing and all the things I assign people to read, I had a need to read something for pleasure. I remembered "Silence," in this book, a sweet ghost story, and tracked it down to read... So amazing, and then I read another, and another. These late stories often catch Kawabata in a more reflective mode; his subtle observations, especially how landscape descriptions cast emotions and atmosphere, are more powerful to me than any other writer's bombast.
Lipou Laliemthavisay
These are a collection of short stories. I only enjoyed reading a couple of stories, but even those that I enjoyed, I became a dissatisfied because as I was engaging myself with the story, it would come to an end. Most of the stories did not make sense to me, and I found some hard to read completely. I tended to skim around quite a bit, and I do not know if I would pick this book up again.
Neha Pal
The description does a good job of summarizing this book of short stories. I wish I could read and understand Japanese so I could get a real essence and feel of the stories that are often missed with translation. Even with that being said, I'm sure the translator did an excellent job. I enjoyed reading all of the tales but my favorite is no doubt, The Gingko Tree. That one just warms my heart.
Barb
These short stories set the mood(to me anyway)of people coping with life in Japan the decade after the end of World War II. Changing morals and social mores were examined and the inner conflicts of the characters were described in sympathetic prose. FYI, Kawabata was the first Japanese writer to receive the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1968.
Emily
I totally expected a lot more from this book; I guess I wasnt ready to understand it; or i probably need more research on japanise culture... Anyway; the writting was neat and nice, and I liked some stories. Will probably reread it other time and would like to discuss it with anyone.
Jacq Jardin
I didn't finish reading this. It's a collection of short stories. They are richly detailed but halfway through my reading i figured Kawabata favored abrupt, thought-provoking endings. Color me corny but I go for solid endings.
John Levi Masuli
I was initially bored by this one. It was nothing special. However after finishing the book in its entirety, Kawabata's prose shook a subtle quake of awesomeness that is very direct yet droning. Very japanese.
Chris
always a joy to read an emmerich translation. i personally tend to prefer kawabata's novels to his short stories, but there are surely some gems in this collection - especially first snow on fuji and silence.
Ana
I was a bit disappointed with this collection of short stories. It might have been that I'm not much into open endings. However, I truly enjoyed the last play (The Boat-Women).
Eadweard
Loved all the stories in this book, even the play at the end was great (loved the setting). This collection would be a perfect introduction to his style and works.
Jaime Ibarra
Colección de cuentos cortos mas bien un poco aburridos. Solamente rescatables "Sin Palabras" y "Primera Nieve en el Monte Fuji".
  • And Then
  • The Waiting Years
  • Storia di Genji. Il principe splendente
  • Rivalry: A Geisha's Tale
  • Teach Us to Outgrow Our Madness: Four Short Novels
Yasunari Kawabata (川端 康成) was a Japanese short story writer and novelist whose spare, lyrical, subtly-shaded prose works won him the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1968, the first Japanese author to receive the award. His works have enjoyed broad international appeal and are still widely read.
More about Yasunari Kawabata...
Snow Country Thousand Cranes Beauty and Sadness House of the Sleeping Beauties and Other Stories The Sound of the Mountain

“The baby understands that its mother loves it. [...] Words have their origin in baby talk, so words have their origin in love.” 13 likes