Start by marking “Platinum” as Want to Read:
Platinum

Platinum

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  205 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Alex Maxwell is planning her wedding to up-and-coming music artist Birdie, ghostwriting video vixen Cleopatra Wright’s memoir, and she’s just been assigned the story of the year by her editor in chief at a major music industry magazine — an article about the glamorous lives of women married to platinum-selling hip-hop artists.
Alex has been interviewing celebrities and han
Published July 6th 2010 by Touchstone (first published June 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Platinum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Platinum

The Cartel by Ashley AntoinetteEvery Thug Needs a Lady by Wahida ClarkTrue to the Game by Teri WoodsThugs and the Women Who Love Them by Wahida ClarkThe Dopeman's Wife by JaQuavis Coleman
THE BEST URBAN FICTION EVER
93rd out of 206 books — 168 voters
Thoughtless by S.C. StephensLove Unscripted by Tina ReberEffortless by S.C. StephensWhere She Went by Gayle FormanBreathe by Abbi Glines
I'm a Celebrity. Love me!
311th out of 608 books — 1,737 voters

More lists with this book...

Read In Colour
Jul 26, 2010 Read In Colour rated it liked it
If you're old enough to have been reading in the early 80s, you'll remember all of the hubbub over Jackie Collins' Hollywood Wives. Just in case you're not familiar with it, it's the beginning of her steamy series about what goes on in the lives of some of the most rich and famous, but of course, names have been changed to protect the innocent. Part of the fun in reading her books was trying to figure out who was whom.

With Platinum, Aliya S. King has become the millennium's version of Jackie Col
Monique
So every now and then its good to get my head back from the historical dramas and read something fresh, urban, page-turning and dramatic..this book was all of that and honestly more than I expected. I quite enjoyed my two days with this look into the industry life, hip hop in particular and the parallels to present day are shocking..The storyline involves all the things you hear about everyday: a writer dating a rapper and keeping it secret, a pop star ready for retirement and to leave the busin ...more
Yolo
Jul 26, 2010 Yolo rated it liked it
Sex. Scandal. Drugs. Groupies. You name it, and you’ll find it in Platinum, the latest novel by freelance journalist Aliya King. Inspired by an article written in 2006, King states in her book’s acknowledgments, “This novel was born out of a story written for VIBE (magazine) several years ago.” The article was entitled, The Secret Lives of Rappers’ Wives.

True to its inspiration, Platinum highlights the life of Alex Maxwell, a freelance journalist for some of the hottest publications around incl
OOSA
Jul 10, 2010 OOSA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too Hot to Handle

Aliya S. King’s “Platinum” is nothing short of brilliant. It centers around Alex Maxwell. Alex is a writer and master at her craft. She's given the assignment to pen an article about hip-hop wives. As Alex delves deeper into the wives’ lives, she listens to their heartfelt stories and she begins to feel a kinship with them. Alex herself is engaged to an up-and-coming rapper and begins to wonder how close the women’s lives mirror her own.

Meanwhile, Cleo, the ultimate groupie, pr
Ms.Toni
Feb 05, 2011 Ms.Toni rated it liked it
Shelves: 2k11challenge
Glamorous Life…Without Love It Ain’t Much

A freelance writer, Alex Maxwell’s writing is enabling her to see two sides of the same coin. For one assignment, she’s ghostwriting the memoirs of video vixen Cleo. It’s a tell-all, a blow by blow (pun intended) account of who she’s sexed in the music industry. It’s bound to rock some images and marriages. For another assignment, she’s writing an article for a magazine about the lives of women involved with hip-hop artists. As Alex researches and interv
Joe
Jul 15, 2010 Joe rated it liked it
This work of fiction into the entertainment world of hip-hop rappers, wives, girlfriends, groupies, and 100 bars of DRAMA was fun to read. I was already a fan of Aliya S. King after what she did with singer Faith Evans' memoir. This book is written well and a true page turner. The characters are likable and you discover very early which ones you are rooting for and which ones you are certainly NOT. I like the pace of the book. My cons of this book would be the fact that you have to pay attention ...more
Patrice Hoffman
The ending was rushed. Too rushed. And.. everyone just lives happily ever after? Yeah right. I liked this book for it's catty-ness but hated it for it's simplistic writing. This book could be so much better. If it was a little longer and the characters were better expunged... it would have been a really good story. It sometimes felt like the story was ripped right out of a gossip magazine. I do appreciate that it was a lot lighter of a read than the thrillers I usually read.
Kristina
Mar 18, 2015 Kristina rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-book-library
A very guilty pleasure filled with all of the gossip and scandal that makes the entertainment industry so interesting. King's writing is down to earth and her knack for conveying emotion kept me wanting more. Great summer read.
RK Byers
Sep 10, 2010 RK Byers rated it it was amazing
makes you play a guessing game figuring which pseudonyms are for which real-life persons. brilliant.
Toni
May 29, 2010 Toni rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Aliya S. King knows what she's talking about. For years she has written for such magazines as Vibe, Essence, and US Weekly. She co-wrote Faith Evans' memoir Keep the Faith and the upcoming Frank Lucas book Original Gangster. She has been around hip-hop and celebrities and she probably knows some secrets.

Platinum is her first novel and she has drawn upon all her experience to bring us a juicy debut all about the world of hip-hop. Alex Maxwell is a freelance journalist who is ghostwriting a memoir
Ranata
Apr 21, 2011 Ranata rated it really liked it
Joi
This book was good. I enjoyed it SOOOO much. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that there were so many characters. Once I got to know the characters better and was able to understand who was who, I began to enjoy the book so much more. I can't wait to see if this author has written anything else. I really liked it.
Darnetta
Platinum is an entertaining, fast-paced read that not only leaves you on the edge of your seat, but provides a full serving of drama, plot-twists, and realism. King shows all that glitters is not gold and brings the human condition into the world of celebrity seamlessly. Relationships, chemical dependency, and child rearing are a few of the subjects touched upon and will have readers questioning what they would do under similar circumstances. What I most appreciate about this novel, is that it d ...more
Skivvy Jones
Sep 01, 2014 Skivvy Jones rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: For the girls who loved Jodeci and the boys who hated them.
Before Beyonce, there was Kipenzi. If you understand part of that sentence or if it intrigues you, then pick up this book. Very lovely author in real life too.
Ava
Jul 31, 2014 Ava rated it did not like it
slow and dry just cant get into it......
Andrew
Sep 27, 2010 Andrew rated it liked it
Fun, quick read that certainly tarnishes the celebrity lifestyle. The character development is excellent, almost too good, in that I found it hard to like any of them. Alex, or hero, is the most likable, though she is more of narrator than a character. The rest of the bunch I found that I loved to hate them all. Platinum was described by Aliya S. King as the perfect beach book, and I agree completely. The best part of this book is trying to figure out who each character is in real life.
Dr. Nic
Some of the reviews made me question whether or not to read this book but I am so glad that I did. I thought it was great.
Tara
Mar 15, 2011 Tara rated it liked it
This may be compared to a modern-day Jackie Collins' novel; trash at its best! Really, if not for the winter doldrums I probably wouldn't have read it, but having gotten it at my library for $1 I just couldn't resist, and it was a fun read for sure. A little hip-hop, a little nuts, a little grotesque for a feminist to digest, but overall entertaining, and I couldn't help but giggle at the Saddle River, NJ references. Who wants it?!
shana
May 30, 2011 shana rated it it was ok
it was alright, but it was kind of dry. things just didn't flow. it felt like more a telling of facts than a creative story. the beginning read so much like character synopses. it didn't feel imaginative. honestly, the characters seemed to stick entirely too close to the real lives of entertainers we all imagine we know from all the gossip and stories created by a 24/7 news cycle.
Rachel
Mar 11, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
I liked the book. But is it me or where some parts of the book loosely based on real celebrity stories. I will have to read another one of her books to really determine if I am a fan or not. I mean it was a page turner but I really wasn't getting inside the heads of these characters.
Michelle
Oct 12, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Not bad. It kept my interest. Plot wise it was a little weak but with that being said it was well written. You came to care what happened to the people in the story which is pretty good considering the characters are not real. It was missing some steamy sex scenes.
Nichelle
What a perfectly fun summer book. Juicy and gossip and filled with behind the scenes music industry business. Easy to guess who the main characters were based upon but they remained their own characters regardless. Fun.
Tahmeka
Apr 02, 2011 Tahmeka rated it it was ok
I thought that this book could have been so much better. It was 2 steps up from hood lit. I thought that the writing was good but the plot was thin and unoriginal, as it was based on real life events. I didn't like it.
Shanae
I LOVED THIS NOVEL! Fabulous characters, intricate plot & I'm left wanting more. A must-read! Aliya S. King does a great job telling such a salacious tale without the raunchiness you find in most urban fiction novels.
Ruby Chung
Aug 13, 2012 Ruby Chung rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved, and loved this book. The characters were so well defined that I just couldn't get enough of them and felt as though I was a part of their lives. A well written and entertaining book.
Demetria
Jul 16, 2010 Demetria rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Good, juicy, fast read about hip hop wives. I have a full review here.
Quan
Mar 18, 2012 Quan rated it it was ok
Okay, I tried to read this but I didnt really like it. It was kind of boring for me, I ended up reading Section 8 by Kwan and never returned to this one.
Mahoganie Jade Browne
Aug 03, 2011 Mahoganie Jade Browne rated it really liked it
My review is on my blog -> http://mahoganie.wordpress.com/2010/0...
Evette
Apr 06, 2013 Evette rated it really liked it
Aliya S. King is an excellent penman. This book truly captures the hectic lives of hip-hop's beloved and their spouses.
Chanita
Mar 20, 2012 Chanita rated it it was amazing
Great, fast paced read. Try to guess which current music stars the characters may be based on.
  • Queen of His Heart
  • Twisted
  • Camilla's Roses
  • Feminista
  • The Family: A Novel
  • Huddle with Me Tonight  (New York Sabers Football, #2)
Aliya S. King is an award-winning journalist and the author of Platinum. She is the co-author of Original Gangster and the New York Times bestseller Keep the Faith. Her work has appeared in Vibe, Giant, Uptown, Essence, King, Ms., Us Weekly, and Teen People, among others. Please visit her at www.aliyasking.com

Her latest novel, Diamond Life, will be published by Simon and Schuster on February 7, 20
More about Aliya S. King...