Start by marking “Aging Well: Surprising Guideposts to a Happier Life from the Landmark Study of Adult Development” as Want to Read:

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In an unprecedented series of studies, Harvard Medical School has followed 824 subjects -- men and women, some rich, some poor -- from their teens to old age. Harvard's George Vaillant now uses these studies -- the most complete ever done anywhere in the world -- and the subjects' individual histories to illustrate the factors involved in reaching a happy, healthy old age....more
Published December 14th 2008 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Aging Well, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aging Well

Rebecca
Adult development, what an interesting idea! Fun to read about people in their 80s whose lives were followed in one of three studies, all brought together in this book. Some had very difficult childhoods; others began their lives with every advantage. We learn--Meeting up with good people can improve your life; alcohol and cigarette abuse are really bad for you; it's good to make new friends as the old leave or die; helping others can be really good for you. I read this at a good age. I was tell...more
Michael
A masterpiece, a special blend of empirical research and wisdom from the humanities; it's firmly among the greatest in my pantheon of great books. Vaillant writes with grace, and this book is even better than his landmark Adaptation to Life. The vignettes are revealing, joyous, sad, moving, and beautifully perceptive. It is a book I'll be rereading and giving as a gift many times throughout my life. VERY highly recommended!
Claudia Jordan
If we should learn what we need to be doing in our lives 10 yrs before we are doing it I'm about on track for this one. Plan ahead! :)
Ilda
Celia
I might have given this book two stars. It was readable but I thought me and the author had a personality clash.

Some of the Harvard men led such remarkably good lives that I felt had not much relationship to mine or many "ordinary" people.

Also I know many people who have enoyed their retirement so seeing what made people enjoy retirement was not an issue for me.

The author stresses the importatance of family and children in sucessful aging. While I am married(which he also said was important),...more
Ryan
Great statistics and great anecdotes, both working together to give a general picture of healthy aging. Made me both hopeful and apprehensive (still) about the topic of aging and eventually passing on. You could some it up, more or less, into six basic statements: don't be an alcoholic, don't smoke, be very generous with what you have, develop social connections at every step of life, continually play regardless of your age, and love deeply and freely. Always good advice.

As with most non-fiction...more
Sara
As any kind of a scientific study, this book has terrible blind spots and flaws. All of Vaillant's "good coping mechanisms" adhere to a watered-down brand of Northeastern male WASP values that is really irksome. But the idea of this great longitudinal study is a fabulous one, and the individual stories are quite thought-provoking. Most useful of all perhaps is Vaillant's suggestion that there are stages of adult development well into one's eighties, and that these include preservationist, locali...more
Buffy
I learned from this book that aging well relies on more that just the physical care of the body. Relationships are another key aspect of living a healthy life, and this book reminded me that I do not want to get to the end of my life and not have had good friendships in it. I was also surprised to learn in this Harvard study that level of education played a role in aging well. I am a committed life-long learner.
Bumbierītis
This book made me very upset. Alright, it was an experiment and I assume some of the data were useful/interesting. But the whole narrative is just stupid. The author marks all introvert people and especially the ones that aren't hyped about his little study as failures. You must have a wife and preferably still work 40 hours a week at the age 78 to be deemed successful. One model fits all, oh yea...
Lam
I skimmed a lot of this and skipped one or two chapters entirely. I read it for a book group and would never have chosen it to read it on my own. Some of the stories of people's lives were interesting. However,I am very suspicious of studies like this when they try to draw conclusions about people in general. And the longitudinal studies used as the basis for this book had a very narrow base.
Nuala Woodham
George Vaillant is one of my thought-heros. A leading academic, researcher and writer, he does not seek the spotlight but earns complete trust. The findings in this book have stood up to a decade of active research in numerous disciplines. If you want to age well, and who doesn't, read it for yourself and be creative in finding ways to share these essential findings with those you love.
Gwen
Aschiele
This is a must-read for anyone dealing with aging or friends/family who are aging. Inspirational and surprising, this longitudinal case study is a fascinating read for anyone with an interest in psychology, aging, and what makes us happy as humans.
Peter
The author teaches at Harvard, so the explanations of the research methods and analysis were, at times, a little over my head. But overall, the text was accessible, I found the discoveries fascinating...and what a great topic!
Joy Fox
George E Vaillant is a medical doctor who followed a longintudinal study of three cohorts or individuals as they aged. It is full of inspiration albeit, a tad dry of a read.
Gigi
I wish this book on many of my friends. I read it for a conference session in July 2013 with Fielding Graduate University ahead of listing to George Vaillant speak. Both the book and George were a treat. I learned so much about my own biases on aging and what makes a healthy, resiliant life. The book follows three groups of robust lives across the decades along with this longitudinal Harvard study. I was intrigued by the different correlations of relisance versus social biases on a "normal" life...more
Paul L'Herrou
Very good (in most respects) based on human development research following populations over a long period of time.
Joe
Fascinating empirical study of what factors really make a difference towards enjoying old age.
Al
I undertook this book after reading a favorable review of its recently-published sequel, Triumphs of Experience, in the WSJ. For over 40 years, Dr. Vaillant has led a Harvard study extending across the entire lives of a large (250+) group of Harvard graduates. Those subjects who are still alive are now in their late eighties or older. In this book, published in 2002, Dr. Vaillant reports on his findings as to what factors influence how lives (mostly men's, but a few women's as well) turn out. T...more
Glennie
This book was a review of 3 different aging studies and it was very interesting,, although some parts were a bit tedious to get through. I liked the interviews with the people. Some had some very interesting lives,, and very interesting things to say about getting older.
One said: "Each moment should be appreciated and fully lived. Dwelling on the past or anticipating the future at the expense of the 'Now' cheats a person of life's wondrousness."
Another said: "Share Socrates' love of the search,...more
David
I found this book full of gems about human development. From youth to old age this book delivers the current thinking on how humans develop at various stages of life. The emphasis is on the later years and what it seems to take to do so well. The keys are here--some of us are already on a good track and some of us may be able to tweak a few things to get there. Read and enjoy this book, in turns clinical and heartwarming.
Jean
I have always loved Self-Help books and nothing has changed there except I'm now reading books such as Aging Well!!!!! This would be a great read for someone in their late 40's/early 50's to learn from the well-documented longitudinal studies of three different groups of people from their childhood or teens into their late 70's or older. The author, Dr. George E. Vaillant, illustrates his points well with actual histories and it is interesting to have stories of actual people, although most name...more
Kathryn Bashaar
I read this book about 10 years ago when it first came out and I thought it was really good, so I wanted to re-read it now that I'm closer to being old. I didn't get as much out of it this time. I think I had already absorbed most of its lessons 10 years ago and am living them. Still, some of the bios were interesting, and it did re-affirm NOT to get stale as I age, and especially not to allow my social circle to shrink, which I imagine is pretty hard when everybody you knew starts dying. Also e...more
Ariadna73
Here is my comment in my Spanish Blog: http://lunairereadings.blogspot.com/2...
Generativity; meaning and integrity. Those are the values that a person has to take care of in order to age as a successful human being. Personally; I think that the meaning is the most difficult to cultivate; because some people spend all their lives not even knowing what they want or what moves them.
Douglas Tatelman
There is some excellent wisdom in this book, but it is hidden in lengthy anecdotes and rambling. Here's hoping all my goodread friends "age well".
Wes Wensek
You're never too old to read this and flourish as you get older!
  • Happiness: Lessons from a New Science
  • Curious?: Discover the Missing Ingredient to a Fulfilling Life
  • The Pursuit of Perfect: How to Stop Chasing Perfection and Start Living a Richer, Happier Life
  • The Resilience Factor: 7 Keys to  Finding Your Inner Strength and Overcoming Life's Hurdles
  • Thanks!: How the New Science of Gratitude Can Make You Happier
  • Character Strengths and Virtues: A Handbook and Classification
  • Good Business: Leadership, Flow, and the Making of Meaning
  • Happiness: The Science Behind Your Smile
  • Opening Up: The Healing Power of Expressing Emotions
  • Aging with Grace: What the Nun Study Teaches Us About Leading Longer, Healthier, and More Meaningful Lives
  • Against Happiness: In Praise of Melancholy
  • Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain: How a New Science Reveals Our Extraordinary Potential to Transform Ourselves
  • Making Hope Happen: Create the Future You Want for Yourself and Others
  • Marva Collins' Way: Updated
George Eman Vaillant, M.D., born 1934, is an American psychiatrist and Professor at Harvard Medical School and Director of Research for the Department of Psychiatry, Brigham and Women's Hospital.

Vaillant has spent his research career charting adult development and the recovery process of schizophrenia, heroin addiction, alcoholism, and personality disorder. Through 2003, he spent 30 years as Dire...more
More about George E. Vaillant...
Triumphs of Experience: The Men of the Harvard Grant Study Adaptation to Life Spiritual Evolution: A Scientific Defense of Faith The Wisdom of the Ego The Natural History of Alcoholism Revisited