Start by marking “Spork” as Want to Read:
Spork

Spork

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  1,068 Ratings  ·  196 Reviews
His mum is a spoon. His dad is a fork. And he's a bit of both. He's Spork!

Spork sticks out in the regimented world of the cutlery drawer. The spoons think he's too pointy, while the forks find him too round. He never gets chosen to be at the table at mealtimes until one day a very messy ... thing arrives in the kitchen who has never heard of cutlery customs. Will Spork fin
Published September 1st 2010 by Kids Can Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Spork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spork

Eve
May 18, 2014 Eve rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
I have a huge author crush on Kyo Maclear! This book is another favorite, just like Virginia Wolf. A children's book that deals with not fitting into social labels, it hit home personally as a biracial person. I would have loved to read something like this as a kid.
I SNIFF BOOKS - Beth
LOVE this story. Definitely swoon-worthy. It can be read at face-value — just a sweet little story about a spork trying to find his place in a world full of spoons and forks and other kitchen accoutrement. But there’s a bigger theme too. Spork’s mom is a spoon and his dad is a fork. So the story is also about mixed families and finding (and embracing) your own identity. It’s just a beautiful story. Not just the sentiment and message, but the illustrations too! The illustrations are both modern ...more
Jeremy
Jun 18, 2013 Jeremy rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is another one of those: little so-and-so was different than all the other whatzits, he never fit in no matter how hard he tried, it made him sad, until one day his uniqueness proved to be useful, and suddenly he felt proud of his difference.

I know these books are for kids, I know the most important lessons are often simple and cliche, but for the LOVE OF GOD, it's been done! Almost 1/3 of the children's stories I read are this exact same story.

We get it, sometimes being different can be u
Tatiana
Jul 18, 2012 Tatiana rated it liked it
This little fellow is a bit of both his mum, a spoon, and his dad, a fork: he’s Spork! Myo Maclear’s Spork is a cutlery ode to children of mixed ethnicities, highlighting how there is a place in the world for everyone. You just have to find it. I think it is important to help children explore how we are all different. Many books tackle this topic. What was refreshing about this one was that the characters were inanimate objects, so it can prompt a discussion on multi-racial families or it can be ...more
Sammm
Oct 28, 2016 Sammm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People around kids! Read it with them! =D
A digitized ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

OMeffingG! This is the cutest book I received via NetGalley so far! So Glad I was approved a copy that I got to read it! 500000000000000*N-star if I could help it! So darn adorable!

I had no idea I'd be encountering Author Kyo Maclear again so soon! The first time I got to read her work was just a month ago, again, thanks to NetGalley: The Liszts by Kyo Maclear. I find it to be pretty awesome already (my review), bu
Kathryn
May 11, 2012 Kathryn rated it liked it
I really wanted to love this book. I like the concept of showing a child who is a mix of both parents, with a twist--they're cutlery! When your parents are a fork and a spoon, you end up being a spork! I could see where bi-racial children might be a target audience here.

That said, I think this would only be useful in certain cases. I certainly hope that as a society we are getting to the point where a child of mixed races does not feel so left out all the time! :-( Some children who already feel
Mar 29, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Spork feels lonely and excluded for being seen as too round or too pointy. Where does he fit in? How can he make a difference?

In a world surrounded by spearing forks and stirring spoons, Spork will have readers hoping and rooting for him to find his purpose and path to the kitchen table!

I just adored this book’s simple yet brilliant way of addressing multiculturalism or “multi-cutlery”. :) Spork made me smile, think, and clear a spot in my silverware drawer!

A wonderful book that presents a meani
Kaethe
Jun 29, 2016 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kaethe by: Elizabeth Bird
You can read it as the straightforward story of a being who's a little different and doesn't fit in. You can also read it as the story of finding acceptance with self and with society as a bi-racial being. You could extrapolate it on out as a story about anyone who contains two distinctly different traditions of any kind. But it's amusing on the most basic literal utensil level, which enables one to appreciate the others.

"Spork!" should be the Tick's new battle cry.

Library copy.
Zaz
Jan 22, 2016 Zaz rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The story is about being different and not fitting. But good news, someone can find you perfect, even if you're half spoon, half fork! I enjoyed the story and the colors, the end was also a nice one for a picture book.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Feb 05, 2012 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it really liked it
Spork's mum is a spoon and his dad is a fork...so he is a spork. Utensils usually do not mix, so Spork feels like he doesn't belong. One day, everything changes. A messy thing comes into the kitchen and the standard spoons and forks are not right for the messy thing's needs. Can Spork be what the messy thing needs?

Maclear's varied sentence structure, font style, and word choice add meaning to this humorous and heartwarming story. Children will be able to relate to Spork because many children str
Kimberly
Mar 29, 2013 Kimberly rated it really liked it
My 7-yr-old loves this book and wants me to read it over and over again. I had to renew it from the library and I hate to read books more than once.

At first, I didn't understand why he loved this book so much. My son is a mixture of many different races, so I wondered if he related to it unconsciously because the spork is a mix of fork and spoon.

I think the author is of mixed race or her kids are so it makes sense that she would write this book.

The spork tries to find his place in the world and
Rebecca
Jan 17, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Oh, I wanted to adore this and its charming illustrations, but it fell a bit short for me. The message about being "mixed race" cutlery and not fitting in was hammered home, the text was quite wordy ("twirled noodles around in complicated circles like rhythmic gymnasts"), and the "mess" is red and looked like blood to me. But for those who love sporks...now there is a book. :)
Jan 11, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, picture, 2012
I really like the message of this story, though I didn't love the illustrations. A solid selection for K-5 school collections and one that school counselors will also embrace for its message on finding yourself and accepting others.
Laura McLoughlin
Jul 24, 2015 Laura McLoughlin rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little strange, but a nice message about everyone (or everything, in this case) having a place to belong. The illustrations of the Spork and other residents of the cutlery drawer were very cute, the baby, however, was a bit on the creepy side.
Rodolfo
Sep 01, 2014 Rodolfo rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Clever exploration of hapa/mestizaje/mulatez/betwixt and betweenness.
Timothy
Sep 08, 2012 Timothy rated it liked it
Shelves: one-sitting
A sad excuse of a book next to "Spoon".
Marilyn
Nov 07, 2016 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Spork is the beloved offspring of a Mamma spoon and a Daddy fork. He is the apple of their eye but unfortunately the other kitchen cutlery do not share their view.

You see little Spork doesn't fit in. He sticks out from everyone else and is asked continually, "What are you, anyway?" Poor Spork cannot answer that question because he doesn't know what he is himself. He feels like a complete misfit amidst the traditional cutlery which leaves him feeling lonely, left out and shunned.

He gets a brill
Marylou
Spork is "just a bit round. just a bit pointy. just right"
I loved this cute story and the illustration of adorable Spork!
Jessica Rambo
Nov 21, 2016 Jessica Rambo rated it really liked it
When I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, I was kind of on the fence about it; the main story is a bit cliched, but the art is fantastic. So I took the plunge- hey, it was free! And while the story isn't exactly *unique* per se (if it's one thing children's books love, it's the "it's okay to be different" moral), it was done in such an adorable and lyrical way that I had to give it a great review. The story is of a little spork who doesn't fit in with the forks ...more
Oct 26, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it
Look at poor Spork. Doesn't this make your heart melt for him?
 photo Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 5.13.28 PM_zpszjuvrmky.png

This is a sweet picture book about a child that doesn't fit in because he is made up of half of his mother and his father. Like some interracial, where they are the only one in the neighborhood like them, you can feel like you don't fit in.

And of course, there is a place for everyone, as evidence by the ending of this book.
 photo Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 3.57.54 PM_zpsl6akwii0.png

Great book to teach about being different, and finding your place.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book availa
Sarah Peterman
Nov 03, 2016 Sarah Peterman rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2016
I enjoyed the illustrations on this one. I liked the semi old feel it had, until the baby... the baby creeped me out a little. Anyways, the story itself isn't terrible, it's about how someone who is different shouldn't be labeled negatively. Again, as with other reviews of mine, I tend to think of it as teaching him to not treat others poorly because they are different from him. So this book doesn't necessarily have to fit a specific category of audience.

The three year old's review: likes the p
Letty
Nov 07, 2016 Letty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I have read a children's book, but I requested and received this adorable book from NetGalley because the cover and description of the book caught my attention. It is a sweet story about Spork whose mum is a spoon and his dad is a fork and he was born a spork! He doesn't quite fit in anywhere in a place setting but finally there might just be a place for him at the table! For anyone who has little ones in their lives, I recommend buying this book for them. They will ...more
Cariadne
Nov 01, 2016 Cariadne rated it it was ok
As a spork lover (who didn't grow up with these at the school cafeteria?), I still think this is a great invention and a wonderful step up from the spoon when training babies to feed themselves. So when I saw the adorable art on this NetGalley offer, I was excited to see what the author could do to give the story a fun and surprising twist. Unfortunately, the story, the lesson, the feel-good ending was all predictable. However, it was charmingly predictable and the message is still appreciated.
Noura
I really love sporks, truly. I always found a strange kind of comfort in them and besides if you have a spork then you really don't need much more.

And this? Well it reminded me exactly why I felt that way. They're special and don't realize it. Just because they don't fit into certain mold doesn't mean they're not equally important and necessary. I think we all needed to be reminded of that sometimes and this book with its simple illustrations and lovely story manages to do just that.
Diane
Dec 03, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it
"Spork wondered if there were other lonely creatures out there with no matching kind, who never got chosen to be at the table."

Spork feels like he doesn't belong, but when he tries to "be one single thing" it doesn't work either. The forks think he is too round. The spoons think he is too pointy. Until one day, a messy thing arrives and turns the kitchen into chaos. Neither the forks or spoons can handle it, but Spork is just perfect for the job.

A great message.
Jo Oehrlein
Nov 29, 2016 Jo Oehrlein rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sporks aren't forks and they aren't spoons. Spork feels left out in a world where everything is one or the other. Spork tries being a spoon. Spork tries being a fork. Neither works out.

Then arises the situation where Spork is exactly what/who is needed.

I like the gentle introduction to non-binary identities. I felt like the ending where the baby needed a spork was weak.
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchanged of an honest review.

Review to be posted in March 2016.

Show
Nov 24, 2016 Show rated it liked it
Short and cute.
Ehko
Nov 12, 2016 Ehko rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, kids-books
So cute!!!!!!
Stefanie Kellum
Oct 27, 2016 Stefanie Kellum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
*I read a digital ARC of this title from the publisher via NetGalley.
Goodreads Librari...: Adding official videos for Goodreads Authors? 6 21 Oct 27, 2016 04:48PM
  • Spoon
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Chicken Big
  • Square Cat
  • The Pirate of Kindergarten
  • Mama, Is It Summer Yet?
Kyo Maclear is a children’s author, novelist and essayist. She was born in London, England and moved to Toronto at the age of four.

Kyo is the author of several critically-acclaimed children’s books including: Spork (2010) and Virginia Wolf (2012), both illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault; Mr. Flux (2013), illustrated by Matte Stephens; and Julia, Child (2014), illustrated by Julie Morstad. Her newe
More about Kyo Maclear...