Start by marking “Restless Nights: Selected Stories” as Want to Read:

-Elephantiasis
-The Scandal on Via Sesostri
-The Scrivners
-What Will H
Published June 1st 1983 by North Point Pr (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Restless Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Restless Nights

John
May 09, 2009 John rated it it was amazing
Buzzati reminds me of Calvino, only a little more willing to go to strange places. In these short stories (and I mean short-short stories - 23 tales packed into about 120 pages) a hotshot reporter acquires the ability to exist simultaneously in the present and the future with the help of an ancient grimoire, a group of engineers building the Eiffel barricade themselves at the top of the structure and try to keep building it infinitely higher, a literary genius slyly begins to write successively ...more
Brandy Wilcox
Jan 20, 2015 Brandy Wilcox rated it it was amazing
I liked this short story because I am interested in myths about animals that live in the sea. Stefano asks his father to take him out to sea. However, when something appears in their wake his father becomes absolutely terrified. What appears is a Colomber, a mysterious shark that will follow it’s chosen victim until the end of it’s life. The boy’s father takes the boy back to shore and urges him to seek another dream. When Stefano becomes a man he pursues the life of a sea captain. What happens ...more
Alex V.
Apr 19, 2009 Alex V. rated it really liked it
This book was a lot of fun. In this collection of micro-stories - most lasting only a couple of pages - Dino Buzzati comes off as the visiting writer at some liberal arts college in the fourth dimension. Focused more on architecture than character, many of the stories involve the fabric of reality elongating, telescoping in and out, collapsing on itself and yet, he does this in an immediately readable and rather fun way. His protagonists often find themselves dumbfounded by the twists of time an ...more
Adam Dalva
Jan 20, 2016 Adam Dalva rated it liked it
Fun, ranging collection by an under-read author. I first discovered Dino from his purchase of immaterial picture space from Yves Klein, and from there learned about his excellent whale cloud drawings (http://weirdfictionreview.com/wp-cont...) . Next, I came to "The Tartar Steppe," a memorable Kafka-style novel. These stories are something different again: the highs here are quite high, and approach Borges (the easiest comparison) in their surreal logic, but as sometimes happens with a career-lon ...more
Richelle
Best greatest magnificent glorious book ever.
Timons Esaias
Dec 29, 2015 Timons Esaias rated it really liked it
Buzzati is an enjoyable discovery, and I'm only annoyed that it took me this long to become acquainted with his work. He was suggested to me by a friend, I scrounged two out-of-print volumes, of which this is the first I've read, and now I'm a fan.

The works are short fictions, in the mode of Calvino, some of Borges, or Dunyach. I suspect the influence (which is pretty universal among practitioners of the Weird) of Kafka. They are often absurd, and make excellent objects for meditation.

The second
Greg
May 11, 2010 Greg rated it liked it
Shelves: italy
The Count’s wife is growing wings; a man grapples with his destiny in the form of a sadly misunderstood sea creature; another man is given a devilishly well-tailored jacket. In Buzzati’s modern fables the world is confoundingly and diabolically at odds with human wishes.

The stories in Restless Nights span 1942 to 1971, the bulk in the late sixties. They seem surprisingly lightweight compared with his 1940 novel, The Tartar Steppe, which stands up to anything by the mid-century existentialists.
Bardha
Sep 02, 2013 Bardha rated it it was amazing
Marinaret e vjeter besonin se ai qe pikaste ne det perbindeshin e quajtur Kolombra , ishte taksur te perfundonte ne barkun e saj. Stefano Roi e sheh qe dymbedhjet vjec, nga kuverta e anijes se babait. Imazhi dhe thirrja e saj nuk i ndahen me asnjehere, as ne stere as ne det. Dhe ne udhetimet e shpeshta, si kapiten i nje anije, ai do te kerkoje vazhdimisht ti shmanget kolombres. Por ne pleqeri, pa mundur ti beje balle tundimit, nje mbremje zbet nga anija me nje fuzhnje ne dore dhe niset me varken ...more
Jeff
Nov 11, 2011 Jeff rated it liked it
I'm rapidly becoming a huge fan of Dino Buzzati's fiction, and Restless Nights is an excellent introduction to his stories in translation. Buzzati's unique outlook has echoes of Jorge Luis Borges, but Buzzati is his own man, and treats his subjects with considerably more compassion and sympathy than characters typically receive at the hands of the more cerebral Borges. Buzzati loves to throw emotional and philosophical conundrums at his protagonists, and the joy of reading his stories arises fro ...more
Bbrown
Mar 08, 2014 Bbrown rated it really liked it
I prefer his longer works but Buzzati writes a mean short story as well:

"One morning around ten o’clock an immense fist appeared in the sky above the city. Then it slowly unclenched and remained this way, immobile, like an enormous canopy of ruin. It looked like rock, but it was not rock; it looked like flesh but it wasn’t; it even seemed made of cloud, but cloud it was not. It was God, and the end of the world."

I don't know if I've ever read a more intriguing opening to a short story. His stuff
Maria Paiz
May 04, 2014 Maria Paiz rated it liked it
This book contains 23 short stories by master writer Dino Buzzati. More than short stories, however, these are existential allegories about society and the changing times around him. He alludes, for example, to industrialization, to the debasement of social values, to godlessness, to corruption and misinformation by the government, and to the alienation felt by members of society. Buzzati lived, after all, in Mussolini's Italy, so his writing reflects the zeitgeist of his time.
Ben
Jul 25, 2010 Ben rated it it was amazing
Some of the most beautiful and insightful stories I have ever read. Despite each of them being incredibly short, every word that Buzzati picked was perfect, and he made his points and insights all the more powerful through his succinctness. Highly recommend these stories and his works.
Aygul A.
Apr 06, 2013 Aygul A. rated it it was amazing
Secondo me, Dino Buzzati e' una stella molto luminosa tra i grandi scrittori del Novecento italiano - coi suoi racconti e con i suoi romanzi. Mi sono ripromesso di leggere tutte le sue opere))Si puo' toccare le anime e rimenere un lungo periodo di tempo.
Booklover
Jun 16, 2012 Booklover rated it it was amazing
Shelves: italian-authors
Esp like the Bewitched Jacket. He writes "God should have stopped me", compelling. I read this story years ago and have tried to relocate it ever since. I plan on reading more of Buzzati, I like his surrealistic style.
Federico
El cuento "Siete pisos" es uno de los mejores que he leído.
El estilo general me recuerda a Kafka, Camus y Borges.
Me gustó mucho!
Jessica
Excellent. A master of the form: tales and the very short story.
Robert Nagle
Masterpiece of short fiction. Compare to HC Andersen or Borges.
Nicholas Utke
Mar 11, 2013 Nicholas Utke rated it it was amazing
Hands down my favorite.
Tim Sharp
Tim Sharp marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Darjan Sergiu
Darjan Sergiu rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Sébastien
Sébastien marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Sarah Witkin
Sarah Witkin marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Kendall Moore
Kendall Moore marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Victor
Victor marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Dipayan Bairagi
Dipayan Bairagi marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
乐乐
乐乐 added it
Jun 08, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Do not combine: need to leave a note 2 27 Apr 24, 2015 04:14PM
  • The Best of Lucius Shepard
  • The Best of Michael Swanwick
  • Gogol's Wife and Other Stories
  • Three Messages and a Warning: Contemporary Mexican Short Stories of the Fantastic
  • Gears of the City
  • In the Penny Arcade
  • Fun with Your New Head
  • The Great Lover
  • The Steam-Driven Boy and Other Strangers
  • The Incal: The Epic Conspiracy (The Incal, #1-3)
Dino Buzzati Traverso was an Italian novelist, short story writer, painter and poet, as well as a journalist for Corriere della Sera. His worldwide fame is mostly due to his novel Il deserto dei Tartari, translated into English as The Tartar Steppe.
More about Dino Buzzati...