Start by marking “Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want” as Want to Read:
Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want

Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  877 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Discover the effective strategies for making real change in your life. This human, practical program puts your vague yearnings and dreams to work for you--with concrete results. You will learn to: discover your strengths and skills; turn your fears and negative feelings into positive tools; diagram the path to your goal--and make out target dates for meeting it, and much m ...more
Audio Cassette
Published June 1st 1988 by MacMillan Audio (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Wishcraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wishcraft

Jeanne
This little gem has been around for almost thirty years now and I've worked through it a number of times, both personally and sharing it with friends, particularly those making life choices.

The central principles of the book - daring to say what you really want, and then finding the support to help you broaden the idea and make it a reality -- were freeing to me intellectually when I first read this. I had just come out of a graduate program in which I studied vocational choice theory, among oth
Tracy
Apr 26, 2008 Tracy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who has a dream
I read this book MANY years ago, so I am commenting on that edition - don't know if she has changed it much in the years since. I hope not - it was excellent then.

I am NOT a sucker for a good self-help book, but this takes a very practical approach to figuring out what is important to YOU and then figuring out how to make it happen.

There's no navel-contemplating, no existential psycho-babble - just clear cut, real life ways to make things happen in your life.

Sonja
I openly scoffed at it while I was reading it. But I sort of grudgingly did the activities and stuff, and you know what? It worked. It's not The Secret or anything, though it is a little touchy-feely. You actually have to do the work to make things happen, and it really is work not just the power of positive thinking or some crap. There's a lot of practical advice in here about getting yourself from point A "I wish" to point B "woohoo!" If you've got an unrealized dream (who doesn't?), give ...more
Richard Szponder
Currently in its 30th anniversary edition, Wishcraft: How To Get What You Really Want by Barbara Sher is a time-honored treasure of established goal-setting strategies aimed at helping individuals find their meaning and purpose in life. While reading this book, expect to feel motivated, relevant, and capable of achieving almost anything.

Wishcraft opens with an entire section devoted to dispelling age-old myths of worthlessness and selfishness to which we are all conditioned. We see our fathers a
Rebecca Waring-Crane
The new age-y title seems more like edgy spin for this nuts and bolts handbook for owning and realizing goals (wild dreams). First printed in the late 1970's, this 30th anniversary edition references quaint, dated practices like using a typewriter and researching at the library. But charming anachronisms do not dilute the potent, practical guidance Sher presents with humor and tested, step-by-step expertise. Over and over Sher's wisdom made me laugh as I realized how much that is served up as cu ...more
Kaseka
Though written and published in the late 1970s--as reflected by some of the "winner" language--Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want is still relevant and full of helpful techniques for all people who dream of a life more satisfying, and want to bring more of what they love into their currently lives rather than waiting for happiness to arrive sometimes in the distant, uncertain future.

Admittedly, being a "Scanner" (see: Refuse to Choose!: Use All of Your Interests, Passions, and Hobbies to
Satia
I give up. This book was recommended to me ages ago and I tried to read it then. For some reason I couldn't get into it and never finished it. I assumed it was just a matter of timing. Later I tried to read it again but had the same experience. Started but stopped. I think this was my third time, or maybe even my fourth attempt, to read this book. In chapter 2 Sher asks a series of questions to help identify those experiences that may have disconnected the reader from their essential self and th ...more
Nick Brown
This book is easily the best and most important book I've read this year!

What makes this book so important is the metaskill that Barbara Cher teaches the reader - how to go out and get what you want.

The essence of this book can be pulled from the title itself - Wishcraft. Or rather Wish-Craft. The first part is the "wishing" part, and Barbara walks the reader through several exercises that removes their inhibitions and allows them to reveal what they truly want out of life.

The "craft" part is wh
Nicole McElhose
There must be some mistake. I mean, the fact that I read a self-help book is weird enough, but the fact that I enjoyed a self-help book--well, I think we must have stumbled into some kind of parallel universe. Pretty sure doing so threw those universes out of whack.

Anyway...

I actually picked this book up for research purposes. It was referenced in a writing book about archetypes, and the title called to me. It proved a fantastic book for both character sketches, especially in terms of motivatio
Khaled
إذا سألني شخص يوماً عن كتاب في تطوير الذات يحفزه في الحياة لا يقرأ بعده كتاب آخر في هذا المجال سأقول له بكل ثقة كتاب الحلم صنعة لبربرا شير ترجمة دعاء الحفناوي وإصدار دار سلامة.
الكتاب بالمختصر ورشة عمل في كل فصوله ومدة قرائتك له ستمسك بقلم ودفتر وتكتب فهدف الكتاب أنت وما عندك وما تستطيع أن تنجزه.
Valerie
this is a self-help book to help you find out what you want to do with your life. i'll say that this is one of the most important book's i've read and worked through in my life because it worked. i found out that i want to be an editor!!!!!
Grace Samis
Bar none - this book is the BEST book on teaching you how to not only 'get what you really want', but how to figure out what it is that you really want!
Ray Charbonneau
Really almost the same book as her "I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was", but the advice in both books is worth reinforcing.
Julie Moore
Absolutely fabulous book! I would recommend it to anyone who is "SEARCHING". Very different from any "self-help" genre book I've read!
Sasha
This book is a classic in its genre. It is potentially of great value to anyone. The ideas in here, the system that Sher offers, are just that good. If there's something in life that you want and it's not quite working out, or you aren't even sure what you want but you know you haven't got it, this book offers you process by which, step by step, you clarify the situation and progress more easily to your goal.

However, it is written in a self-helpy style. There are different self-helpy styles; Sh
Rachel Willis
This is a type of self-help book that not only gives one the confidence to pursue what they really want, but also gives one a solid plan for how to achieve it. This book isn't about pumping you up to pursue your goals, but tells you how to get them by giving you realistic expectations about what you can get and how you can get it. Part of the book helps you figure out what you want (if you're not sure) with exercises geared toward your creative side. The second part is called "Goalcraft", and it ...more
Mary
Two practices from this book helped me a lot:

1)Find the emotional touchstone within your wish, e.g. if the wish is 'to be famous,' what aspect of fame is the most important to you? This helps you find ways to fulfill the underlying desire.

2)If there is an event in your past that you feel prevents you from attaining a wish, write about it over and over, until it loses its power to hold you back. For me it took a number of years, but it worked.

Becky
She is so practical and clear minded, and I love her no bones approach to setting and achieving goals. This book is a good choice for any person who has ever identified a goal, had no idea how to achieve it, and still hasn't started.

12-20-2014 Second read notes:
The best reading is re-reading. This time, I have implemented more of her approaches to goal setting and achieving. My friend Anne asked me once, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." Sher shows you how, and I believe I can do
Marina
The strength of this book is the way the author is so in touch with human nature. Her approach is not to get you to become a different person but rather to get on with the business of finding what you love and making a living out of it while still being the person you are now, without a personality transplant. And along the way she offers little pieces of wisdom.

I particularly appreciated the section on The Power of Negative Thinking. "…it just isn't human nature to feel good all the time. And
Addicted to Books
a really practiccal guide to giviing your dreams shape and meaning. I love this book! Highly recommended!
Anastasia
Finished this book and now I have to turn it around and start over again.
This is the most amazing slap-in-your-face honest and yet warm-encouraging-hug resource for anyone wanting to make s**t happen.
If you are grappling with an existential crisis or wondering what to do with your life - read this. If you have suddenly realized you need to change course and want to set up an action plan - read this!
If for nothing else the book provides amazing tools for brainstorming sessions. And let me just s
Jordan T.
It was a very inspirational guide on how to plan on getting what you want, and moving forward from there on to the next thing.
Joanna
Great book recommended by a very successful friend, years ago. It helped him map out his future, which led to Harvard MBA school and a great job at a private financial institution. He specifically named this book as a great tool and inspiration to him. I bought it one year for all of my girlfriends at Christmas.

It stresses that in order to reach your goals, you need to map backwards down to what you even need to do TOMORROW to accomplish them. This book really helps you identify and break down
Cosmic Arcata
Loved this book. Helped me unschool myself.
Victoria A. Madatova
нет, это не очередная книжка по изотерике... ))))
Maya Rock
Oct 03, 2007 Maya Rock rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I haven't finished this yet. Man I hate the cheesy sounding title and frankly I'm always a little embarrassed to post about these self-help books which again a lot of my friends look down on but this one is GREAT. Extremely practical. Really shows you how to create a road map, use your time better--the focus is not on changing yourself, feeling better about yourself, but on figuring out what you want than figuring out how to structure your time to get it. You have to really read this one for the ...more
Sonyetta
I really hate the name of this book because it makes it sound like some new age hocus pocus, when that's not what it is at all. It's actually a really practical plan for changing your life and work. It's probably one of the most practical books on that subject that I've read, and I've read a LOT of them. It's a book worth going through, and then going through again. Don't let the name put you off. If you're not happy with your current job, check it out and see what I'm talking about.
B
This book just changed my life. In fact, it has changed me from the very start of reading it.

I'm still speechless, amazed, in awe. But I'll tell you one thing -- the title speaks for it self. With this book you do get what you really want. No more self-help books needed.

This book takes all your fears, doubts and trauma and crashes them to the ground. No 'buts'. If you wanted to get something out of life and be happy but don't know what or how -- this is your book.
Judith
I really like the get a clean white sheet of paper and make lists and go back to childhood to see what you forgot you loved deally.
I read all Sher's books and recommend them highly.
I also like that she admits what doesn't work that we've all been doing and thinking we are moving into getting our wishes.
Mentors are a must. Go to her seminars sound like a good thing but expensive. Who cares expensive things are usally what bring fruits.
Peggy
This is my kind of book with lots of dreaming, exercises, and quizzes to help me define what I want to do, have, be in my life in the next year.
The author has very concrete formulas to follow as well but I'll probably skip those (too much work!), thus defeating the whole purpose of reading this book.
Very fun and seriously helped me look at the status quo and set some goals.
  • Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood
  • The Renaissance Soul: Life Design for People with Too Many Passions to Pick Just One
  • Take Time for Your Life
  • World Enough & Time: On Creativity and Slowing Down
  • The Vein of Gold
  • Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life
  • One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way
  • Excuse Me, Your Life Is Waiting: The Astonishing Power of Feelings
31944

Barbara Sher is a speaker, career/lifestyle coach, and best-selling author of seven books on goal achievement. Her books have sold millions of copies and been translated into many languages. She has appeared on Oprah, The Today Show, 60 Minutes, CNN, and Good Morning America and her public television specials ai
More about Barbara Sher...
I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was: How to Discover What You Really Want and How to Get It Refuse to Choose!: Use All of Your Interests, Passions, and Hobbies to Create the Life and Career of Your Dreams Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-By Step Lessons It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now: How To Create Your Second Life At Any Age What Do I Do When I Want To Do Everything?: A Revolutionary Programme For Doing Everything That You Love