Start by marking “Deadly Kingdom: The Book of Dangerous Animals” as Want to Read:
Deadly Kingdom: The Book of Dangerous Animals

Deadly Kingdom: The Book of Dangerous Animals

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  41 reviews
How does a tiny box jellyfish, with no brain and little control over where it goes in the water, manage to kill a full-grown man? What harm have hippos been known to inflict on humans, and why? What makes our closest cousin, the chimpanzee, the most dangerous of all apes to encounter in the wild?

In this elegantly illustrated, often darkly funny compendium of animal predati
Published May 18th 2010 by The Dial Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Kingdom

trina
Jul 18, 2010 trina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: morbidly curious weirdoes, sentimental nature-lovers in need of a wake up call
fascinating, and terrifying. i couldn't put it down despite the fact that i spent the night tossing and turning after reading it, my dreams interrupted with images grisly and outsized: me flailing in deep water, about to be eaten by a leopard seal; a baby stolen from a crib by a hyena and devoured. creepy, but then i have always had a bit of a morbid streak, and an attraction to the disgusting that can rival that of any little boy.

that being said, while the book is deeply interesting throughout
Sherri
Deadly Kingdom is excellent, well-researched, well-written and full of interesting if frightening facts about animals. The author is not sentimental or sensational,he simply records facts and incidents where animals have maimed or killed people by various means and lets the reader draw his own conclusions. Since many of these animals live in Asia, Africa or other faraway places I did feel a small sense of relief--it is not likely I will encounter a tiger or gorilla on my way home. Other animals ...more
Jake Kerr
What an incredibly disappointing book after the fantastic Red Hourglass, which I gave five stars to. This book is little more than chapter after chapter of descriptions of animals that could attack humans, how they could do so, and how they have done so. It's repetitive and reads like a one dimensional collection of excerpts from encyclopedia entries. Some of the chapters are somewhat interesting, but those are the ones that go deeper and read more like The Red Hourglass--delving into more than ...more
Lea
Grice's first book, The Red Hourglass, is one of my favourites, so I had high hopes for this book -- and I wasn't disappointed. This is an exhaustive recounting of the dangers posed to humans by practically every animal you could think of, including several I would never have imagined were dangerous! (Seriously, I may never interact with animals ever again!) The chapter on primates is particularly horrific. I preferred the smaller scope of The Red Hourglass, which focused on fewer subjects, allo ...more
Emmy
I have always loved animals, and up until this point, my view of the world around me was pretty stable. Sure, I might have an occasional run-in with my neighbor’s aggressive bull-mastiff, or maybe a deer that happens to wander into my backyard while I’m reading a book, but generally, I’m not too concerned about that.

This book kind of took my sense of general well-being and threw it to the wolves.

It’s so comforting to know that there are so many creatures out there who can, and are more than happ
Rich
Oh, I loved it! I lingered...
Geoff
I bought this book in hopes that it would provide interesting information about animals (including the darker side as the back flap of the cover promised). So far, it has been disappointing in that the book informs the reader of some basic information about the animals before giving three or four examples of how the animal has viciously killed humans. The facts inside the book are the type that any half-educated person with an interest in wildlife would know already. The stories of humans meetin ...more
Talentlesstroll
I didn't read this in one sitting. It took me a long time to finish it, not because it wasn't interesting, but because of the times I read it. I have like 2 hours between classes, and I would go to the campus library and read this. I never checked it out, it gave me something to do and look forward to between classes.

When I first grabbed it, it was kind of an impulse read. I figured I'd read it a bit, and probably never get back to it. I was wrong. This is an excellent read, for anyone who has
Nathan
The big thing this book has going for it from the start is that dangerous animals are always fascinating. It's gleefully creepy learning that peoples' limbs have swollen till they exploded after being bitten by some snakes or that one shark attack victim was dragged along for 125 feet.

Grice starts reaching a bit when he lumps in other less deadly creatures, including horses, rabbits and mice, all of which, to be sure have injured or killed humans at one point, but don't really fit in with the co
Kkraemer
This is a terrible book to read. It has turned me from a generally optimistic soul to one who entertains the possibility of death at every turn...from dogs, cats, zoo animals, wolves, wolverines, cougars, bears, rats, mice, mosquitoes (a particular terror, given the recent warm weather), flies, lice, and other living things.

Grice catalogues the terrible things that the animals on this planet do to humans, and does so clearly and with an infectious wit (noting, for example, that some teen aged b
Savannah Toner
Deadly creatures from tigers to tapeworms are highlighted in each chapter but there are some critical flaws. First, the amount of personal stories stray away from the main topic and start to distract from the plot. Second, this book would have benefited from a good editor to helped the overall flow of the narrative. Most chapters were fragmented with interesting facts about each species that lacked smooth transition into the next species. There were multiple lists of mauling for each species tha ...more
Kelly Rubish
In his book, Deadly Kingdom: The Book of Dangerous Animals, Gordon Grice delves into almost every animal imaginable. From insects which kill thousands or more every year by spreading disease, to the only man ever killed by a swordfish, when the fish leaped from the ocean and onto his boat severing his carotid artery in the process. Deadly Kingdom can be read cover to cover, or the reader can choose to pick through the book, which is extremely well organized by animal. Grice has done his research ...more
Crystal
This is one of those books you read as a guilty pleasure. Remember when you were a kid and couldn't get enough of animal/dinosaur facts? No? Well, maybe it was just me but I devoured any book that taught me about the scary, creepiest, anomalies of the animal world. This is a book like that but for adults. It goes through the whole animal kingdom and explores animal attacks caused by the most dangerous species on the planet along with their strengths or the ways that they kill. It was definitely ...more
Rose Ann
Horrifying yet fascinating. I skipped the part about spiders and insects.
Greg T Robertson
A solid well written easy to read book on the things that can kill (or maim or generally harm) humans from the animal world. This book had some very fascinating facts in it. Despite seeming overly knowledgeable the author manages to write in a way that is very engaging - my experience is usually that authors who know a lot about a scientific area write very dry. This was a very enjoyable and easy read.
Joel
another one from outside magazine....the opening line about caterpillar's being able to bite... seemed bizarre enough to be worth reading.

The book was actually very entertaining. Part history part commentary of the dangerous critters you may run into as you travel about the world. make sure as the critters get smaller you read the book long before you go to bed!

recommended.

joel
Nicole
This book is well-written, but it doesn't go in to much detail because the writer has busied himself with compiling a vast expanse of anecdotes about animal attacks and danger. It is more of a resource to point you in the direction of more detailed accounts, if you're into the sort of thing, which I am. I found myself skimming certain areas, then engrossed in others.
Megan
I give it 4 stars not because it was brilliantly written (though it wasn't bad), but because it was full of information that got me so fascinated in pure elementary-school-OMG-sharks-are-awesome(!!!) fashion. If you like nature shows and get nerded out about going to the zoo, you should give this one a read. I enjoyed the heck out of it!
Shannon
Gordon Grice is a man after my own heart. I love anything scientific or factual about animals or nature. He's funny, and this book is filled with entertaining tidbits about animals you might have thought less deadly than they really are, and animals you perhaps gave too much credit to in the deadly department.
Jessica Russell
This book was really entertaining! When I was really young I used to read a lot of books about animals, and I got the same feeling of discovery and excitement reading this. I was less enthusiastic about the bug chapter because I really wanted to read about big old carnivores, but I liked this a lot.
This book was fascinating and disturbing. Much like the oft mentioned train wreck, I couldn't stop reading about all the ways I could potentially be killed or maimed by the world's animals. Excellent, excellent non-fiction choice.
Susan
Grice has a tendency to slip into lists of attacks, which can get kind of dull. The book is well-organized though, which makes it easy to skip anything too horrible. Full disclosure: I did not read about parasitic insects.
Dave Intlekofer
Good book about stories of dangerous animals. Very well researched and seemingly accurate in its stats. I would have liked more stories as opposed to merely a bunch of facts, but it was still very entertaining and informative.
Lisa
If Mr. O'Connell had had this as his textbook, we all would have learned so much more.....it's a textbook in novel form...an excellent source of scary information. you will never look at your pet the same way again!
Paula
Excellent Book though it will give you nightmares. After reading this book I decide that I want my 2 year old grandchild to stay away from anything that moves. Wonderful book easy to read and very informative.
Amy
I enjoyed this book and it was very interesting. The organization was a little bit random, but I learned a lot.

The book is about some very scary animal attacks, not for young kids.
Jackie
A fascinating look at every animal dangerous to humans, sprinkled with anecdotes and an understated sense of humor. A warning--this book does not skimp on describing gore.
Beth
This book was well written, informative and interesting if read in small doses, however, or else it seems to become a list of facts of how every animal can maim you.
Sean
really enjoyed this one, just what i was looking for. i thought the format was a little boring but the content was well written and informative.
Ruthann
I was fascinated by all of the creatures that could harm us. However, the worst creature is humans and what harm we bring to them.
  • The Snake Charmer: A Life and Death in Pursuit of Knowledge
  • The Beast in the Garden: The True Story of a Predator's Deadly Return to Suburban America
  • Don't Look Behind You!: A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesick Rhinos
  • Journey of the Pink Dolphins: An Amazon Quest
  • The Species Seekers: Heroes, Fools, and the Mad Pursuit of Life on Earth
  • Demon Fish: Travels Through the Hidden World of Sharks
  • Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime: The Oceans' Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter
  • Listening to Whales: What the Orcas Have Taught Us
  • Eels: An Exploration, from New Zealand to the Sargasso, of the World's Most Mysterious Fish
  • Stung!: On Jellyfish Blooms and the Future of the Ocean
  • Monster of God: The Man-Eating Predator in the Jungles of History and the Mind
  • Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures
  • Natural History
  • Life in the Undergrowth
  • Rewilding the World: Dispatches from the Conservation Revolution
  • Where the Wild Things Were: Life, Death, and Ecological Wreckage in a Land of Vanishing Predators
  • The Rhino with Glue-On Shoes: And Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets and their Patients
  • Carnivorous Nights: On the Trail of the Tasmanian Tiger
I try to write beautifully about the darkest aspects of nature--predation, death, and other delights. I love all the faces of nature, but my work is not for the squeamish or the sentimental. My history: I've written articles about wildlife and biology for magazines like The New Yorker, Harper's, and Discover. My books and short pieces have appeared on best-of-the-year lists published by the Los An ...more
More about Gordon Grice...
The Red Hourglass: Lives of the Predators Shark Attacks: Inside the Mind of the Ocean's Most Terrifying Predator (National Geographic Shorts) Sugar The Mummy of John Wilkes Booth Cabinet of Curiosities: A Kid’s Guide to Collecting and Understanding the Wonders of the Natural World