Start by marking “Object of His Desire (Somerville Park, #1)” as Want to Read:
Object of His Desire (Somerville Park, #1)

Object of His Desire (Somerville Park #1)

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  1,187 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews

He thinks he’s just a wallflower. Little does he know he’s the guest of honor…

It’s the last night of a week-long house party in remote northern England. Every sensual delight imaginable is right at Henry Shaw’s fingertips. Yet all he wants is to be with his host, the deliciously handsome and enigmatic Arsen Grey. Henry’s certain it’s love, not mere infatuation. He’s als

Published (first published March 10th 2009)

Daisiemae
Feb 05, 2009 Daisiemae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Male Erotic Romance Fans
Recommended to Daisiemae by: She wrote another favorite of mine...Bound by Deception...check
Ava March doesn't write fast enough. I was torn before I read this book. Part of me wanted to have it in my E-Files and tease myself with it being there to read (I always love the anticipation of reading a book), or buying it and reading it immediately because I felt like it's been FOREVER since I read an Ava March book! Honestly, I held out a couple of days, and that felt like forever, I am glad I put myself out of my misery and read it;)

Henry Shaw can't say no to Arsen Grey, the Marquis of Som
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**3.25 stars**

This was my first M/M historical and I find that I don't have much to say about it, hence my middle of the road rating. I didn't feel the love between the two men and, as I often feel with novellas, I felt like the author was trying to TELL the reader how to feel instead of letting them get to the conclusions themselves. Make sense? I felt rushed into their romance, which was lacking for me. The sex scenes were smoking, and I have a thing for super tall guys (Henry) so I added 1/2
Brenda (b)
Mar 11, 2009 Brenda (b) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda (b) by: Daisiemae
My first read by Ava March and I loved it. It was a sweet short story. I really liked both characters, but I think I liked Henry just a bit more than Arsen. Henry was very mindful of the rules of society and while he wanted a relationship with Arsen, he was willing settle for whatever brief time he could spend in his company. I liked how they were both able to get past that little bit of pride that reared up and could have ruined everything the morning after.
Vilda
Dec 02, 2012 Vilda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: M/M HR readers!
Re-read: December 6, 2013
First read: January 3, 2011

Still loved this shorty!
Mar 20, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt-fiction
Men in period costume, servants and really lovely bedroom furniture. Historical pron, noice!

I have decided recently that I have a huge jones for unrequited, best bud love. I am addicted and this book fit the bill perfectly. Henry has much longing for his friend Arsen, but does not want to jeopardize their friendship by putting the moves on. Arsen was gorgeous and had a very commanding presence. Henry was sweet, big and well muscled and would be perfect as a burly footman in a James Lear novel. h
Ami
About 2/3rd part of this novella, I was ready to give this a 2.5*. It was a big fat MEH for me... Mostly because I thought the novella started way before the first page. Since it was novella, I missed the build-up relationship betwen Henry and Arsen. I thought their story before this week-long party would be interesting to read. Because of that, I felt disconnected from both men and the story did feel underdeveloped. The sex scenes were okay, but like always, they weren't able to charm me when I ...more
Amanda
Apr 19, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ava March is one of the few historical authors whose work I can read and enjoy. This is mainly because her stories are rich in detail, without being bogged down by page after page of historical intricacies that aren't germane to the plot.

Object Of His Desire is yet another fabulous example of how well this author can suck the reader in from page one and hold them captive. At 94 pages, I read this in one sitting. It was concise, erotic, and packed a nice angsty punch. I highly recommend it.
Matimate
Mar 22, 2009 Matimate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2009
Here it is another historical gay novel, which made my train trip shorter and more pleasant. Year 1821 was not very friendly for the same gender couples, but things could run smoothly if discreet enough. The ton on the first glance so modest and full of morality, but behind that mask was something more sensual and orgies were running freely. No, this book is not about huge gay gang bang in the historic costumes. Henry Shaw had unfortunate experience with his exlover, that man was pain and their ...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
SueM
Nov 01, 2011 SueM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to SueM by: Sammy Goode
3.5 stars (almost 4, except the inaccuracies - common, yet unfortunately widely accepted -during the sex scenes irritated me)
A good M/M historical romance (possibly Regency) that had a little bit angst, a little bit of hot sex, and good characterization for such a short novel. Definitely a quick read but worthwhile!
Elisa Rolle
Ava March is a new author for me, but I heard about her work in the past; she is an historical romance writer with the bonus that she writes man on man relationship, so she brings together two things I love so much. So when I saw that there was a new historical novella by her, of course I launched myself on it. And I'm not disappointed! I usually tag as "breeches rippers" all those stories where men dressed in thos frilly but so beautiful garments, and if one of the men proceeds to "rip" them of ...more
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
I enjoy Ava March a lot but I have to say this isn't one of her better outings. It's just too short. Her flushed out characters and excellent since of place is just not here. The story is just too short. What makes this so wrong is that Henry & Arsen are interesting characters that are wasted.

Check out His Client or her Bound series to read Ava March at her best.
Chris
Good m/m Regency romance (I'll give you a minute to recover) about a young man who's been at a debauched house party for a week. He hasn't participated because he's been pining for the lord who's hosting the party. Alas, he knows his affections won't be returned, as the lord is ostensibly using the week to audition for his next mistress...
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

Enjoyable but too short and thus undeveloped. The free sequel is a must-read with this one.
Jayhjay
Aug 30, 2011 Jayhjay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally published on my blog Joyfully Jay.

Henry Shaw is visiting the country home of Arsen Grey, Marquis of Somerville, for one of his famous house parties. Henry has no real interest in the wild debauchery, but he can't resist the chance to spend time with Arsen. Henry lusts after Arsen but has no expectations of a future together. Arsen is well known for his mistresses and it is commonly accepted that this party is a chance for him to pick the next one. So Henry is quite sur
Funzee Shu

It was hard enough to be in proximity to the handsome marquis. To be able to look and never touch. But to be forced to stand alone, to watch Arsen intimately touch another… Henry’s heart would fracture for certain.

He thinks he’s just a wallflower. Little does he know he’s the guest of honor…

Interesting start, hot sex, like the scene when Arsen finally let someone took his virgin arse, but I think it's way too fast for the L words. But then I realized...that this is novella. So, yeah....no en
Ryoma Gartre
Another awesome book, the chemistry between both main characters is awesome, both characters are strong in their own right, and it felt real, because of that, no one rescues the other, both of them encounter and fall for the other.

I'm really quickly becoming an Ava March fan, so far i haven't found a chick with dick, both main characters are men and think/act like it and nothing else.
Liz (Bugetta)
Pretty much the same feeling I had the first time I read it. It was ok, but didn't really make much of an impression. Listening to the audio version also highlighted the really flowery language and not in a good way. I did like the new-to-me narrator, Tim Gilbert. Good if you're in the mood for a short historical erotic romance.
Beck
Jun 29, 2012 Beck rated it liked it
This is a typical Ava March ... enough period language to transport you back in time ... lovely, arrogant hero with the more inexperienced, lower class lover ... as long as you ignore the reality of what their hygiene was like, you can enjoy the story ... think too hard about rimming a bum that hasn't been bathed for months & you're more likely to turn green than be titillated.
Alyosha
Mar 04, 2011 Alyosha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alyosha by: MsOPP
Very good, quick, sexy and sweet read about two English gentlemen. Henry Shawn is hopelessly in love with his friend, Arsen Grey, Marquis of Somerville. Henry is sure his love is and will remain unrequited. Arsen, well, he has plans of his own.

Dina
4 1/2 stars (rounded up to 5 stars because I adored Henry)
S.J.D. Peterson
Truly enjoyed this book. I love floating back in time and peeking in behind the closed doors of the prim and proper.
Drew
I really loved this book a lot! I love it when the "wallflower" or Nice guy finishes first theme, and Object of His Desire delievered that in spades! Can't wait to read more from this author.
Nico Jaye
Jan 02, 2016 Nico Jaye marked it as owned-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Thank you, my lovely Secret Unicorn! :)
Asynia
I didn't think that I liked historicals, but this is my second Ava March - and my second 5-star read by her. Apparently it has to do with the author, since I haven't been as impressed with the works of other authors in the genre.

Ms March manages to set her books in the "real" world of regency England, with the social stigmas and, indeed, legal issues that surrounded homosexuality, and still not let that overpower the stories.

Henry and Arsen were delightful, both charming in their own way, and th
⚣❣☙ Michaelle ❧❣⚣
3.7 Stars

Not as good as the last book I read by Ava, but still lovely.
Wax
Hmm, felt like it ended too soon. I really wanted to see the build up of relationship between the two, but it got straight to the steamy times. Loved the beginning, though.
Annelise Lestrange
May 27, 2012 Annelise Lestrange rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jessica Strachan
Review originally posted on The Book Adventures of Annelise Lestrange :)

The Story

One week of pure torture.

That was all that Henry Shaw could say about his time on Sommerville Park, the propriety of marquis Arsen Grey. So much for a secret crush. Arsen was wicked, debauched and off all limits to Henry. And still, he had agreed to the marquis’ invitation to the blasted party. It was time to be over and done with his silly infatuation with Arsen. No use to love someone that would never love him bac
Kassa
Aug 15, 2009 Kassa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is something about Ava March’s writing that I really enjoy. Perhaps it’s her ability to draw you into the scene and setting quickly with likable characters and highly erotic sex. Her writing stands above those who write other shortened stories involving mostly sex and little plot. There are so many elements presented with the capability of extending the story and truly elevating it to wonderful status and no doubt the author has the writing ability and creativity to do it. So I am somewhat ...more
Erastes
May 21, 2010 Erastes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-historical
As the title suggests, Henry has an object of his desire – and that is Lord Somerville, Arsen Grey, who, at the beginning of the book is his acquaintance, his fencing partner but not his lover because he’s convinced that Somerville is a woman’s man.

At first I wrote this book off an enjoyable romp, pure and simple; a quick set up, a bit of pre-sex angst and then lots and LOTS of sex which is exceedingly well-written and most arousing. There’s even real breeches ripping, which raises a cheer.

Encou
  • Seducing Stephen
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • An Improper Holiday
  • Captain's Surrender
  • Angel's Evolution
  • A Gentleman of Substance
  • Only His Heart (Only Forever #3)
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • Second Sight
  • Easy
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • Letting In the Light
1978003
Ava March is a bestselling author of sexy, emotionally intense M/M historical erotic romances. She loves writing in the Regency time period, where proper decorum is of the utmost importance, but where anything can happen behind closed doors. With over fifteen works to her credit, her books have been finalists in the Rainbow Awards and More Than Magic contest, and deemed ‘must-haves’ for Historical ...more
More about Ava March...