The Human Bobby: A Novel

The Human Bobby: A Novel

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  33 reviews
THE GRIPPING STORY OF THE UNRAVELING OF ONE MAN’S SEEMINGLY PERFECT LIFE, AND HIS STRUGGLE TO GET EVERYTHING BACK.

A new baby, a loving wife, a solid career, a dream house in Beverly Hills: Dr. Bobby Flopkowski has it all. Until a complicated series of events snowball into a disaster that changes the course of his life forever.

Now, with a tent on the beach as his only home...more
Published (first published August 17th 2010)

Jasmine
Gabe rotter looks like some guy you know.

I don't know why I owned this book. I mean this is one of those books that when the plot came out I was like, "well if I'd known that's what this was going to be about". You know like Amphibian. I read this book because I've been packing etc and it happened to be sitting in the middle of my floor for some reason and I was like, "hey why the hell not? I remember being really excited when I bought this when it came out, let's read it." Well why the fuck wa...more
Elizabeth Salom (elistar)
Very well written. Very clever. I hated the story.
Lukasz Pruski
Gabe Rotter's "The Human Bobby" is not quite as good a book as his "Duck Duck Wally", which I have reviewed on Goodreads (see the review). The first 80% of it reads as a spellbinding mystery, but the solution of the puzzle, although clever, is not satisfying. I admire the way that the "loose ends" are tied, yet I feel somehow cheated. This is the plague that affects most mystery books I have read - a fascinating setup and then a dud of denouement.

The book cleverly starts with Chapter 31 and only...more
Jim
This book was BRILLIANT! Wow. I Just finished it and couldn't wait to get online and start telling people about it. It's one of those books that just sucks you in and doesn't allow you to stop thinking about it. It sort of takes over your brain until you're finished reading it. And even afterwards, the characters and story will linger in your thoughts. The ending really blew me away. Thought I knew just wehere it was going... but NO! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
Crissy
I have to say the book was deeply engaging but I'm not sure I like the way it ended. I'm not one for David Lynch type endings so hopefully you'll understand my rating without giving too much away on the book.
Mishel Zabala
My rating: 5/5 stars!

THE HUMAN BOBBY is easily my favorite read so far this year. When I closed up the book I was like “Holy Crap!” Yes folks, it was that good. (And no I didn’t say crap I flat out cussed just fyi) And to be honest it’s super easy to give too much of the book away in a review. So I’m going to seriously limit the details and try to get across my feelings to the best of my ability.

Bobby Flopkowski is the main character of the novel. With a last name like that you should definitely...more
From My Blog...[return][return]Deeply compelling, dark and raw, The Human Bobby by Gabe Rotter is a work of pure genius. Every now and again I come across a novel that gives me pause, makes me stop and think and question what I have read and to question myself. Rotter masterfully weaves together a story that will give any reader pause to question, to laugh, to hope, and question more through the brilliantly crafted characters, especially Bobby and his friend Eddie. The story begins with Bobby be...more
Tea Time with Marce
From my blog

A quote by Paul Simon is the intro to the book - losing love is like a window in your heart, everybody sees you're blown apart.

This book is labeled a novel but it is a fascinating tension building thriller, I highly recommend to psychological thriller fans. This is one of the best unreliable character driven books I have read.

I really enjoyed reading about Dr. Bobby and how he met his lovely wife and then their charmed life together. It is amazing what a tragedy will do to a person...more
Diane
So many bloggers raved about The Human Bobby over the past year, that I just had to read it. It also seemed like a good choice for Carl's RIP VII Challenge, and I am happy to say, it was. There's no horror and it's not scary either. If I had to classify it, I guess I would call it more of a psychological thriller.

In this story Bobby Flopkowski, is a young man whose childhood was marred by the suicide of his plumber father when he was just 15 and the death of his mom just a few years. Bobby was s...more
The Sunday Book Review
I will never become homeless. I am an extremely successful doctor, have a great best friend, an adoring wife and the most precious young son. And in an instant that all disappeared.

Gabe Rotter has written an impeccable tale of your average Joe finding love, living the dream and having everything taken away from him after a decision to answer an email goes bad. What makes it so intriguing is that the tale can belong to any one of us. We just need that one event to send us down a tale spin. We rel...more
BOOK DESCRIPTION

When we first meet Dr. Bobby Flopkowski, he has been homeless for some time—living on the beach with his friend Eddie. Although “Dr. Bobby” (as he is known on the streets) has made peace with his current circumstances, things change when he sees a face from his past—a face that might be able to solve the mystery that lays at the heart of why Dr. Bobby’s life fell apart.

You see, Dr. Bobby wasn’t always homeless. He once had a thriving medical practice, a gorgeous home, a beautiful...more
David Hebblethwaite
Bobby Flopkowski had few natural advantages – he’s average-looking and from a poor background – but he has been lucky in life, and arrived at age forty with a loving family, a lucrative career as a paediatrician, and a plush Beverly Hills house. It all unravels, though, when Bobby’s baby son Jack disappears one night, after being left alone for just five minutes; Bobby’s wife, Ava, leaves him, and he spirals down into a drink- and drug-fuelled depression, frittering his money away on expensive h...more
Michele
One of the best books I've read this year. I'm so flabbergasted by the twists, it's not easy to write a review without giving anything away. We'll try to be succinct....

Bobby Flopowski has it all. He pulled himself up out of his poor Brooklyn childhood and became a successful, wealthy pediatrician in Los Angeles. He marries well and for love. They have a child. They have it all.

Until one fateful day, everything changes.

And Bobby ends up with nothing. No job, no house, no wife and no child. How...more
Freda mans
I went through a little bit to get this book. Emails back and forth between myself and the PR Department, both wondering if this book would even arrive to my door.
I'm so glad it did.
This is one of those books that seriously pulls you in, and at the end you are left with a wow feeling. My exact words were, "Holy shit!" Excuse the cuss, but it's exact. It was that amazing to read!
Just when I thought I knew everything going on, the suspense would shift to a new thing, and man, it worked every time....more
Antoinette
This book was amazing. I read it over a day, I just could not put it down. Booby has it all- a loving wife,a new baby, a dream house and a solid career. He responds to an e mail one day and from then on his life spirals out of control till he has nothing. He struggles to get everything back. Sounds simple does it not- it is anything but. I was sure I had it figured out, but the author sure surprised me. The ending blew me away. It is a perfect discussion book. I highly recommend this one!!
Kelly
I thought it was 5-stars until the ending. :( Not my style. Can't say more, don't want to give it away. I would recommend it to others- I could NOT put it down until I was finished. But I can't give it 5-stars, sorry.
Andrea
I tore through this book in no time. It was heartbreaking and not at all what I expected. After I finished it, I couldn't stop thinking about it and flipped back through to read passages again. What a gripping, incredible book.
Chriser123 Dittman
I think this is a well written book, but it is disturbing since it's dealing with mental illness and by the end of the book it's impossible to know what was real and what wasn't.
Ann
Loved this book. It really screws with the reader - just when you think the resolution to the mystery is really trivial, the author throws in another twist. Very well written.
Lesley
Loved this book from the moment I opened it. The story line is full of twists, turns, and surprises and the writing and characters drew me in and kept me craving more.
WOW!

Here is the link to my review. A must read!

Jessica (booneybear)
Short chapters and a fast paced plot make this book a "can't put down" type of read. It kept me engaged right up to the last word.
Joy (Thoughts of Joy)
You can read my thoughts here. (4.5/5)
Lindsay
I enjoyed this right up until the climax. I personally find this literary device a cop-out.
Libby O'Brien
This was a interesting and compelling read. I'm still digesting the idea of this book.
Kristie Saumure
It had a twist, which is good...but the writing style drove me crazy. Too much slang!
Amy
This book was a good, fast read, but I thought it was too predictable.
Kate
Oct 09, 2011 Kate marked it as to-read
Possible book club selection, have heard wonderful things about this book.
Mary
Fast, entertaining, wouldn't be surprised to see a movie version at some point.
Aug 20, 2012 Laura marked it as to-read
Shelves: book-sale
read a great review on the book...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Gabe Rotter, who Publishers Weekly calls “a talented writer” and The X-Files creator Chris Carter calls “a clever storyteller and a smart one, too,” is the author of the novels Duck Duck Wally and The Human Bobby. A native of New York, Rotter now permanently resides in Los Angeles with his wife and daughter. He graduated from film school at the University of Southern California in 2000, and has si...more
More about Gabe Rotter...
Duck Duck Wally: A Novel Duck Duck Wally