Start by marking “Counting Crocodiles” as Want to Read:
Counting Crocodiles

Counting Crocodiles

Poor Monkey. All she has to eat are sour lemons. One day she spies a banana tree on a faraway island, but the only way to get there is to navigate the crocodile-infested waters of the Sillabobble Sea. That’s no problem when you’re a brave and clever monkey who can count to ten and back!
Published October 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Counting Crocodiles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counting Crocodiles

Jessica Murphy
Oct 09, 2015 Jessica Murphy rated it it was amazing
Title: Counting Crocodiles
Author: Judy Sierra
Illustrator: Will Hillenbrand
Genre: Counting Book
Theme(s): Counting and Numbers, Reptiles and Amphibians, Asian and Asian American Fables

Opening line/sentence: On an island in the middle of the Sillabobble Sea lived a clever monkey in a sour lemon tree.

Brief Book Summary: A monkey, sick of eating only lemons, desires to cross the sea to a banana tree. Unfortunately, crocodiles roam the waters. The crocodiles ask to be counted to prove how many of the
Melany
Nov 07, 2016 Melany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved Counting Crocodiles because it was a cute way to teach counting. Readers will love how the word croc is continually being rhymed in different fashions. The full-page illustrations are full of extras for readers to discover such as friends that go along the way and how the eyes create the waves. I also like how this is a tale that has been adapted from a folktale. This primary reading informational narrative will be a delightful way to include math and reading.

I would use this book as a g
Michelle
Nov 27, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
Monkey is tired of eating lemons. She is stuck on an island with only a lemon tree but she dreams of making her way across the Sillabobble Sea to reach the far away island on which she spies a “delectable” banana tree. The problem is the overabundance of hungry crocodiles just waiting in the water for the Monkey to make one wrong move so that they can snap her up! Will Hillenbrand’s delightfully humorous oil pastel, watercolor and gauche illustrations, and comic style are the perfect complement ...more
Danielle Bartelmay
Nov 15, 2015 Danielle Bartelmay rated it liked it
Shelves: math, literacy
This is a story about a cunning money who wants to get the bananas on the island across the crocodile infested water. He tricks the crocodiles into building a bridge for him to cross by saying he wants to know how many crocodiles there are. He counts his way across and back and the crocodiles never catch on to his game. This book is great way to teach counting to young children. It is very repetitive and the rhyme and illustrations make it more engaging. The children can count along while ...more
Terry Marzell
Sierra, Judy. Illustrations by Will Hillenbrand. Counting Crocodiles. San Diego, California: Voyager Books. 1997. Target Audience: Ages 4-8. Reading Level: 2.5. A monkey living in a lemon tree on an island can see a tree full of delectable bananas on a neighboring island. To get to the bananas, the monkey must cross a crocodile-infested Sillabobble Sea. The monkey is challenged to count the crocodiles, which she does, both forwards and backwards. This double counting reinforces the learning. The ...more
Heidi-Marie
I thought this would be a counting book. And it could work that way, but I was more engrossed in the rhyme, the silliness, and seeing the monkey's cleverness. Would be a fun addition to storytime--toddler as well as preschool.

2/11/15 Used in my In the Zoo Part 2 storytime theme. A really good book. Unfortunately, I had quite the loud, squirmy group--all of them new and came in late, AFTER the rule reminder at the beginning. The new kids scared all my regulars unfortunately. So even though this b
Ashlynn Armstrong
Apr 24, 2016 Ashlynn Armstrong rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book is about a monkey who only has lemons to eat. One day the monkey discovers there are bananas on an island nearby. She is trying to figure out a way to get over there when the crocodiles tell her there are too many of them for just her to get across, so the monkey decides to count and see how many crocodiles there actually are. She jumps on there back, and reaches the other island. She tells them to let her count once more. She makes it back, and tells them there were enough, but not ...more
Becky B
Monkey lives on an island with only a lemon tree and she's a bit tired of lemons. She can see across the sea an island with a lovely looking banana tree, but there are crocodiles in the water between the islands. Monkey has to figure out a way to outwit the crocodiles so she can get a variation in her lemon diet.

The way the monkey outwits the crocodiles by having them line up to be counted is very Aesop-ish. (Is this based on an Aesop fable? I'm not sure.) The way that the crocodiles form groups
Nichole Sedler
Dec 04, 2007 Nichole Sedler added it
Recommends it for: K-2nd
Shelves: picture-books

Written by Judy Sierra, illustrated by Will Hillenbrand, published by Voyager Books, 2001.

Summary: A counting, rhyming book about a monkey on a deserted island with nothing but lemons. The monkey sees a banana tree on another island far away but the water between the two island is full of crocodiles. So the monkey slyly convinces the crocodiles to let her count how many crocodiles there are. In the counting process monkey jumps across their backs all the way to the banana tree.

Response: This is
Beth
Aug 27, 2016 Beth rated it it was amazing
Counting Crocodiles by Judy Sierra is a wonderful children's poetry book. Grades kindergarten through 3rd grade would enjoy this book and younger children who cannot read would enjoy listening to the story. This book would be good at helping children with math skills since there is counting involved with the crocodiles. If children are more sensitive the crocodiles in this book may be a little scary to them. Counting Crocodiles is a silly story about monkeys tricking crocodiles so they can get ...more
Carly
Feb 29, 2016 Carly rated it it was amazing
Counting Crocodiles is one of my favorite childhood books. It is about a clever monkey who is tired of eating lemons on her tiny little island. She sees that across the crocodile infested sea, there is an island with a banana tree, so the monkey tricks the crocodiles into letting her count them. The crocodiles line up to make a bridge from one island to the other and the monkey counts them while getting closer and closer to her bananas. When she gets her bananas, she tells the crocs to let her ...more
Dione Basseri
A common staple in library storytimes, at least in my area. But, unfortunately, nothing spectacular. Which means it's gotten quite a bit old, for me.

Either I'm not getting the rhythm of the book right, or the rhythm is just awkward. There seem to be several beats that are just too long. As a result, it feels like this book goes on forever. Counting crocodiles as the monkey crosses the sea...and then realizing you have to count them coming back again. >.<

Keep reading around for storytime in
John Jones
Jul 08, 2012 John Jones rated it really liked it
In this book the literature spoke the sequence of counting as well as the patterns they can create. The book also was able to teach a refect on multiplication and addtion, while making the story very interesting. I really like this book because it is come the students can get into and see just how smart the monkey was. They can also see how many ways they can count the crocodiles. I would most defiantly use this book in my class to challenge my students with problem solving with finding the ...more
Shani Cooper
Jul 20, 2012 Shani Cooper rated it liked it
This story provides a fun story that children can use to practice counting to ten. In the classroom teachers can split students into different groups. Each group gets a different animal to create. Each student in each group can cut and color a cut out from the animal. Students should identify the number of parts the animal has and put the animal together to create a picture. For example, a crocodile has four legs, one mouth, one tongue, several teeth, and so on. Students can add other items to ...more
Olivia Bailey
The book can illustrate how to use alliteration- repetition of the same letter to consecutative words.

The book list many synonomns- show how different words have similiar meanings
It introduces many new words that can be described using context clues
HAs lots of rhyming words

Math- counting the crocodiles
They wer counted going up from one to ten and counted down from ten to one. Teaches the sequence of numbers.
Can have the students actually add them all together. Also can talk about the usage of "h
Alesha Harris
Nov 05, 2012 Alesha Harris rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-books
This story talks about a monkey who sees a banana tree on an island The monkeys then tricks the crocodiles into making a bridge for him to go over to get to the tree and gets bananas. The illustrations are very colorful and the pictures are interesting. I would use this book for a math lesson because in this book story you count crocodiles from one to ten. Also, it is great for counting and addition. I would read this book to 3-6 years old.
Katrina Kim
Mar 09, 2013 Katrina Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, math, science

Fun& engaging way to count!
* Frontwards & backwards!!!
( the skills needed to conduct addition and subtraction)

Counting range: 1-10

Transition towards science- Discuss:
Diet of a primate/ monkey
Environment they live--what other animals can be found?
- Where can we find monkeys and crocodiles?
- Do crocodiles live in salt water, fresh water, or both?
Feb 20, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Clever, clever story about a monkey who wants bananas from the other side of the ocean and the crocodiles who "feed on fishes" in-between. Great for kids learning to count. As an added bonus and throwback...there are crocodiles with purple mohawks-this is a good introduction to punk culture. Nice rhythm in the story.
Chanae Wills
Jan 26, 2013 Chanae Wills rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
"Counting Crocodiles" is a good book to read to younger students, such as Pre- K and Kindergarteners. This book has a lot of rhyming words, so it would be easy for the students to follow along. In the classroom, I could use this book when going over the numbers one through ten, going both backward and forward.
Mimi
Counting crocodiles is a cute, fun book to use with pre-k or kindergarten to show/reinforce numbers 1-10. In the story a monkey cons several crocs into letting him jump on their backs to get to another island to get a banana. This book can introduce simple addition, counting backwards and problem solving strategies.
Amber
Apr 26, 2015 Amber rated it really liked it
This story is great to use in a math lesson. My mentor teacher read it to her students during math to work on their counting and it helps add the fun element to what they are learning. The book counts up to ten by adding and then it subtracts back down to one, so the students were able to work on those skills. Works great for a read aloud and incorporating reading into math as well.
jacky
May 24, 2011 jacky rated it liked it
This one is a little zany. There is a monkey eating lemons stuck on an island with a fox. The crocodiles in the way of getting to the island with the bananas are all a bit crazy, too, when we see them all. I was left wanting to know how many crocodiles there were total, but I guess kids could have fun counting or adding them.
Christiana Tarpley
Oct 19, 2011 Christiana Tarpley rated it liked it
Shelves: math
Although this book has alliteration as well as rhyming, I would only use it for math usage. The students can count the crocodiles (developing number sense) and then the book counts backwards (which develops backward counting as well as sequencing numbers)
Karelle Royal
Apr 18, 2011 Karelle Royal rated it liked it
Shelves: math-connections
A story about a monkey who has a problem and finds a unique way of navigating dangerous crocodile infested waters to solve it.
Good book to use in a math lesson on counting (PreK -K)
Teaches problem solving skills.
Rhyming words.
Lam Nguyen
Nov 24, 2010 Lam Nguyen rated it really liked it
Shelves: counting
This book is about how a monkey who wants to get to the other island. He was tired of eating the same old things and was craving for the banana tree form the other island. This book incorporates the concept of counting up an down. Very cute story.
Kristen
Love the bouncy rhyme, love the counting of crocodiles from one to ten and back again, love the clever monkey who outwits the crocs in socks and playing with blocks and dressing like Goldilocks to get to the banana tree. Fun!
Sarwat
Jul 19, 2012 Sarwat rated it liked it
This book would be a good one to teach counting, addition, and cardinality. Each page provides the number word which counts up and back for practice with counting. It would be helpful in developing sequencing concept as well.
Elaine
Nov 09, 2012 Elaine rated it really liked it
This book works well for any child who likes to count. There are different activities going on throughout the story. The illustrations are nice and brought about good observations from the children during preschool storytime.
Japonika Finch
Nov 12, 2012 Japonika Finch rated it liked it
Really great book. I would really used it for a pre-K lesson for rhyming. It is a good math book too because the kids can count along with the book. It also repeats everything backwards, a small introduction to counting down. Best use would be in a pre k classroom.
Janet
Problem solving
Make predictions about the crocodiles, are they a danger to the monkey? Do you think the monkey will get to the bananas?
Use die-cut crocodiles to measure lengths in the library. Could we walk across the crocodiles to get to the desk? The table? The door? How many crocodiles?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Let's Count Goats!
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin? (Mr. Tiffin's Classroom Series)
  • Dinosaurs
  • Anno's Counting Book
  • One Hungry Monster: A Counting Book in Rhyme
  • Kitty's Cuddles
  • The M&M's Brand Chocolate Candies Counting Book
I took the long-cut to being an author. Out of college I did temporary work in offices and libraries, while at night, I wrote poetry and made strange life forms from cloth. When I teamed up with a puppeteer, Bob Kaminski (my husband), I was able to bring my cloth creations to life. We began performing on the streets of San Francisco, at Renaissance fairs, and at schools. After attending a workshop ...more
More about Judy Sierra...