Counting Crocodiles

Counting Crocodiles

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Poor Monkey. All she has to eat are sour lemons. One day she spies a banana tree on a faraway island, but the only way to get there is to navigate the crocodile-infested waters of the Sillabobble Sea. That’s no problem when you’re a brave and clever monkey who can count to ten and back!
Published October 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Counting Crocodiles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counting Crocodiles

Terry Marzell
Sierra, Judy. Illustrations by Will Hillenbrand. Counting Crocodiles. San Diego, California: Voyager Books. 1997. Target Audience: Ages 4-8. Reading Level: 2.5. A monkey living in a lemon tree on an island can see a tree full of delectable bananas on a neighboring island. To get to the bananas, the monkey must cross a crocodile-infested Sillabobble Sea. The monkey is challenged to count the crocodiles, which she does, both forwards and backwards. This double counting reinforces the learning. The...more
Janndon Evans
Class B: Concept Book
Characters: Crocodiles and Monkeys
Setting: The ocean and an island
Interest level: Infant to grade four

Counting Crocodiles traces the journey of a monkey living on an island and numerous crocodiles that live in the sea. The two parties meet and greet, and the king of the crocodiles asks the monkeys to count them, which he obliges. Very cute.
I believe that the pictures are simple yet fun, and they have a colorful appeal as well as solid page use. The words, while larger font...more
Michelle
Monkey is tired of eating lemons. She is stuck on an island with only a lemon tree but she dreams of making her way across the Sillabobble Sea to reach the far away island on which she spies a “delectable” banana tree. The problem is the overabundance of hungry crocodiles just waiting in the water for the Monkey to make one wrong move so that they can snap her up! Will Hillenbrand’s delightfully humorous oil pastel, watercolor and gauche illustrations, and comic style are the perfect complement...more
Becky B
Monkey lives on an island with only a lemon tree and she's a bit tired of lemons. She can see across the sea an island with a lovely looking banana tree, but there are crocodiles in the water between the islands. Monkey has to figure out a way to outwit the crocodiles so she can get a variation in her lemon diet.

The way the monkey outwits the crocodiles by having them line up to be counted is very Aesop-ish. (Is this based on an Aesop fable? I'm not sure.) The way that the crocodiles form groups...more
Nichole Sedler
Dec 04, 2007 Nichole Sedler added it
Recommends it for: K-2nd
Shelves: picture-books

Written by Judy Sierra, illustrated by Will Hillenbrand, published by Voyager Books, 2001.

Summary: A counting, rhyming book about a monkey on a deserted island with nothing but lemons. The monkey sees a banana tree on another island far away but the water between the two island is full of crocodiles. So the monkey slyly convinces the crocodiles to let her count how many crocodiles there are. In the counting process monkey jumps across their backs all the way to the banana tree.

Response: This is...more
John Jones
In this book the literature spoke the sequence of counting as well as the patterns they can create. The book also was able to teach a refect on multiplication and addtion, while making the story very interesting. I really like this book because it is come the students can get into and see just how smart the monkey was. They can also see how many ways they can count the crocodiles. I would most defiantly use this book in my class to challenge my students with problem solving with finding the patt...more
Christine
Cute idea... but the crocodiles she counts are not interesting and the story just does not flow.
Shani Cooper
This story provides a fun story that children can use to practice counting to ten. In the classroom teachers can split students into different groups. Each group gets a different animal to create. Each student in each group can cut and color a cut out from the animal. Students should identify the number of parts the animal has and put the animal together to create a picture. For example, a crocodile has four legs, one mouth, one tongue, several teeth, and so on. Students can add other items to t...more
Olivia Bailey
The book can illustrate how to use alliteration- repetition of the same letter to consecutative words.

The book list many synonomns- show how different words have similiar meanings
It introduces many new words that can be described using context clues
HAs lots of rhyming words

Math- counting the crocodiles
They wer counted going up from one to ten and counted down from ten to one. Teaches the sequence of numbers.
Can have the students actually add them all together. Also can talk about the usage of "h...more
Cheyenne
Monkey tricked the crocodiles into getting her to the bananas and back. Cute counting book.
Alesha Harris
This story talks about a monkey who sees a banana tree on an island The monkeys then tricks the crocodiles into making a bridge for him to go over to get to the tree and gets bananas. The illustrations are very colorful and the pictures are interesting. I would use this book for a math lesson because in this book story you count crocodiles from one to ten. Also, it is great for counting and addition. I would read this book to 3-6 years old.
Katrina Kim

Fun& engaging way to count!
* Frontwards & backwards!!!
( the skills needed to conduct addition and subtraction)

Counting range: 1-10

Transition towards science- Discuss:
Diet of a primate/ monkey
Environment they live--what other animals can be found?
- Where can we find monkeys and crocodiles?
- Do crocodiles live in salt water, fresh water, or both?
jacky
This one is a little zany. There is a monkey eating lemons stuck on an island with a fox. The crocodiles in the way of getting to the island with the bananas are all a bit crazy, too, when we see them all. I was left wanting to know how many crocodiles there were total, but I guess kids could have fun counting or adding them.
Clever, clever story about a monkey who wants bananas from the other side of the ocean and the crocodiles who "feed on fishes" in-between. Great for kids learning to count. As an added bonus and throwback...there are crocodiles with purple mohawks-this is a good introduction to punk culture. Nice rhythm in the story.
Chanae Wills
"Counting Crocodiles" is a good book to read to younger students, such as Pre- K and Kindergarteners. This book has a lot of rhyming words, so it would be easy for the students to follow along. In the classroom, I could use this book when going over the numbers one through ten, going both backward and forward.
Mimi
Counting crocodiles is a cute, fun book to use with pre-k or kindergarten to show/reinforce numbers 1-10. In the story a monkey cons several crocs into letting him jump on their backs to get to another island to get a banana. This book can introduce simple addition, counting backwards and problem solving strategies.
Lauren
It took a few times of reading this to get the rhythm right and it annoys me that there will be random lines that don't rhyme. However, the pictures are really cute and the parts that do rhyme are really fun. Josh loves it and I love it more for the fact that I only paid a quarter for it.
Sarah Ziskend
Good for:
- counting 1-10
- using literature and math together

Lesson plan:
Create your own counting book

As a teacher of mathematics,I would use this book as a reinforce on counting numbers 1-10. It would be very engaging as an opening engager to a 1st grade lesson plan about counting.
Japonika Finch
Really great book. I would really used it for a pre-K lesson for rhyming. It is a good math book too because the kids can count along with the book. It also repeats everything backwards, a small introduction to counting down. Best use would be in a pre k classroom.
Jennifer Borduin
First off, that ocean of crocodile eyes FREAKS me out!! I got the heebie jeebies while reading this book! Besides that, it's a neat book to practice number recognition and one to one counting with the different crocodiles. That's definitely one smart monkey.
Christiana Tarpley
Although this book has alliteration as well as rhyming, I would only use it for math usage. The students can count the crocodiles (developing number sense) and then the book counts backwards (which develops backward counting as well as sequencing numbers)
Faith Barron
Counting Crocodiles is a wonderful book for younger grades. Throughout the book the monkey tricks the crocodiles so that he can jump on thier backs to get where he needs to go. This is a great book to go over number 1-10 counting forward and backwards.
Lam Nguyen
This book is about how a monkey who wants to get to the other island. He was tired of eating the same old things and was craving for the banana tree form the other island. This book incorporates the concept of counting up an down. Very cute story.
Kelly
LOVE this book! I used it for a pre-K lesson for rhyming. It is a good math book too because the kids can count along with the book. It also repeats itself backwards. Great rhyming, counting, and illustrations. Great for pre-k classroom!
Karelle Royal
A story about a monkey who has a problem and finds a unique way of navigating dangerous crocodile infested waters to solve it.
Good book to use in a math lesson on counting (PreK -K)
Teaches problem solving skills.
Rhyming words.
Brenda Pritchard
preschool story time; Vocabulary building, print motivation, counting;

This is a fun book that uses counting and vocabulary. The book describes all the different crocodiles that are waiting for a monkey to come into the water.
Sarwat
This book would be a good one to teach counting, addition, and cardinality. Each page provides the number word which counts up and back for practice with counting. It would be helpful in developing sequencing concept as well.
Elaine
This book works well for any child who likes to count. There are different activities going on throughout the story. The illustrations are nice and brought about good observations from the children during preschool storytime.
Kris
Love the bouncy rhyme, love the counting of crocodiles from one to ten and back again, love the clever monkey who outwits the crocs in socks and playing with blocks and dressing like Goldilocks to get to the banana tree. Fun!
Jasmin Thompson
This is another good book to teaching young children how to count from 1-10 and backwards from 10-1. The pictures are not the greatest, but students will learn how to add using a pattern or sequence.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Let's Count Goats!
  • Ten Red Apples
  • The Wolf's Chicken Stew
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • Willoughby & the Lion
  • Read-Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young
  • Millions to Measure
  • One Hungry Monster: A Counting Book in Rhyme
  • One Hundred Hungry Ants
I took the long-cut to being an author. Out of college I did temporary work in offices and libraries, while at night, I wrote poetry and made strange life forms from cloth. When I teamed up with a puppeteer, Bob Kaminski (my husband), I was able to bring my cloth creations to life. We began performing on the streets of San Francisco, at Renaissance fairs, and at schools. After attending a workshop...more
More about Judy Sierra...
Wild About Books ZooZical The Sleepy Little Alphabet: A Bedtime Story from Alphabet Town Born to Read Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf