Start by marking “Justice (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #8)” as Want to Read:
Justice (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #8)

Justice (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus #8)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,683 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
Alternative cover edition of ISBN 9780747249498 and ISBN 0747249490.
503 pages
Published 1996 by Headline Book Publishing (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Justice

Brina
Jun 02, 2016 Brina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this installment of the Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus mystery series, we are introduced to recurring character Chris Whitman, son of mob boss Joseph Donatti. Hiding out from mafia life back east, Whitman attempts to blend in to life as a normal teenager yet still stands out in the crowd. Then he falls in love with his tutor even though the mob had arranged a marriage for him back home. Amidst all of this teenaged angst, on prom night Whitman's date is found strangled to death in her hotel room. S ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Jul 15, 2015 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, mystery
Faye Kellerman isone of those writers I'd been aware of for years simply due to the number of books she'd written. I simply had never gotten around to picking one of her books up and trying it.

I picked this one up because it was used as an example in Savage Spawn: Reflections on Violent Children a nonfiction book by her husband Jonathan Kellerman.

Otherwise I'm OCD I'd probably never picked up #8 in a series first.

This is an interesting (as advertised) character driven mystery/thriller. It's not
Pamela
Kellerman's Decker and Lazarus series is a bit like a seismograph: up and down, up and down. A good book ... then a horrific book.

The previous entry in this series, Sanctuary, I really enjoyed. I find that I prefer the books that deal more in-depth with the religious aspects of the storyline ... the Orthodox Judaism, the different approaches to Judaism, etc. I find it fascinating.

This seems to be the more cop-focused, police procedural type book that usually alternates with the books that are mo
SA SuSu
Apr 21, 2009 SA SuSu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My all time favorite book! I became emotionally attached to a character. It's another coming of age story for a late teen woman who comes from an emotionally unavailable home. And story of justice for a killer, for the victim's family, for an overlooked employee, and for a corrupt public servant. I can't say enough about how much I enjoy and in a way, depend on this book.
Jean
Feb 08, 2013 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faye Kellerman creates an enigmatic character with Christopher Whitman, a cello player and good looking guy, who just happens to be the nephew of a Mob boss, Joey Donatti. Chris is a suspect in the murder of his date on Prom Night, and because he has mob ties, is the immediate suspect. Chris is already engaged to a woman he can't stand to make peace between warring mob families. He is in love with Terry, a beautiful, smart and innocent girl. So he has a kind of Madonna/Whore thing going on. But ...more
Jane
Jan 24, 2015 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one in the series, especially as I've read some out of order. It explains Chris Donatti and his relationship with Deckard, and explains so much of what happens in the later books.
 Olivermagnus
Jan 19, 2016 Olivermagnus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Justice deals with the murder of a Los Angeles prom queen who was found tied to a bed in a hotel room and strangled to death. The most obvious suspect is Chris Whitman, her date, who appears to be just another high school student. Although he's graduating this year, he is older than most of the other students and lives in an expensive apartment he pays for by his cello concerts. The prime suspect, Chris Whitman, is related to an important Mafia figure. He's also a pathological liar and probable ...more
Kristi
May 06, 2013 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good read. I will say it was not a page turner but I found myself intrigued by the story line. The characters were interesting especially one of the main one, Christopher Whitman. I think I wanted to know more about him because he was such an interesting guy. This book was not a page turner because I thought it was predictable and kept turning pages hoping for a bit more. However I did like the way the ending worked for all the police characters involved. Would recommend.
Linda
Aug 28, 2014 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just barely two stars. This was nowhere near the quality of her other books in this series. No focus at all on Peter and Rina or on their religious life. The latter really disappointed me, as Kellerman's usual focus on Orthodox Judaism is usually so interesting - and educational too! Very little suspense and not much thrill either, unless you count the gratuitous sex scenes, which were really over the top. Very disappointing.
Ed
Jul 15, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#8 in the Peter Decker / Rina Lazarus mystery series.

Peter Decker / Rina Lazarus mystery - A teen prom queen has been found dead in a fleabag motel, apparently strangled after a night of drink, drugs, and kinky sex. Handsome, clean-cut Chris Whitman has confessed to the killing, but LAPD detective Decker is uncomfortable with the easy resolution of the case and the way things just don't add up. Chris, the son of Mob boss Joe Donatti, is way too cool, too smooth, and too sure of himself. Evidence
Jenene W.
I enjoy reading this series and will continue to do so. I liked the mystery and it held my attention to the end. I was less impressed with the attempt by the author to write the way she thinks Black people speak. I found the main character interesting but a bit up and down and way off towards the end.
Sharon
Feb 25, 2010 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Loved this book. It was dark & mysterious and took a turn at the end that I did not expect. Christoper Whitman/Donatti was pure evil even though I wanted him to be the nice guy that Terry thought he was. This was the 2nd time I read this book and liked it even more the second time.
Pauline
Nov 11, 2011 Pauline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best of the series so far. More police work than family in this one and it makes it a better read. Don't want to see the family go but just a bit less.
Meagan
I really didn't like this book. The plot was all over the place and I found Decker to be really unlikable throughout the whole book.
Bonnie Randall
Aug 06, 2013 Bonnie Randall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Loved Chris, thought he was superbly drawn and was thrilled to discover, in later books, that he (and Terry) became recurring characters.
Michelle Lemay santiago
My favorite in the series so far. Could not put it down! Wish I could give more stars
Tina
Apr 03, 2016 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't wait to hear the next chapter! Faye Kellerman is getting even better!
Kelly ...
Jan 06, 2016 Kelly ... rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, fiction
This book is much different than the rest of the series. For example huge chunks of it are narrated in the first person. This is something Ms Kellerman has not done in the series so far.

If you want less exploration of the home life of Peter and Rina and more fast paced story telling of the mystery you will like this book better than the rest. But, if you have grown to love the Decker/Lazarus family and want to continue exploring that part of the story this book might disappoint.

I liked the book,
Abra
Feb 28, 2016 Abra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read 3/23/13; re-read again 2/17/16
Brittany
Aug 01, 2011 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Favorite of the Decker/Lazarus series.
Monica Nichols
Mar 02, 2016 Monica Nichols rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-novels
Ending was a cliffhanger
May
Jan 18, 2016 May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Decker's series though his wife got a bit annoying towards the later books. This is one of the early ones so she was still bearable.

I have a bit of a hit and miss relationship with her. Found her husband's books a bit more accessible. Nevertheless I do enjoy some of hers.

This book took me by surprise because it started off like it was one story then it took off and focused on different characters instead. Half way through the book, I felt as if I mistakenly picked up a different book, u
Magpie67
It wasn't Faye's usual novel featuring Peter Decker and Rina, and I missed Marge a ton, but once I got into it.... the story moved pretty well. I have to admit it was chapter 33 that I finally felt like I was on common ground with Peter working a case. Yes, his boss ticked me off and yes, I felt like the case was being railroaded, and yes not all the clues were given the same looksee. The element of racial injustice was a topic, the idea a cop might be involved and a cold case mixed together... ...more
Sherri F.
2.5 to 3 stars and only reason that much was b/c the last quarter (2-3 hrs) redeemed itself, but through the first 9-10 hrs I had planned on giving it 2 or less. This is #8 in Decker/Lazarus series (& my 10th read) and one of my favorite crime duo and def fav. m/f duo, but the majority of this one was by far the worst in series. Although I missed Decker's partner, Marge, I could get past that and still even though Rina was barely in this installment, BUT most of the 1st quarter were two teen ...more
Bonnie
Nov 15, 2012 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We listened to the book and loved it. We enjoyed the characters, even though we have not read the books in the order in which they were written. I am glad that we did not read the reviews of others before we purchased because we do not agree with the spoilers.

It's obvious early on that a baby will turn up missing from the hospital. But there are still plenty of surprises and the book is still hard to put down.

Decker’s teen age daughter, Cindy, joins the cast of characters in this novel. I can’t
Rory
After working tirelessly through the previous two Decker/Lazarus novels to prove herself, Faye Kellerman doesn't have to prove herself anymore, and she shows that by relaxing in "Justice," which still has an intense plot, but the focus here is more on character development, giving more to Peter Decker and showing just how strong his and Rina's marriage truly is. Kellerman sends Marge on vacation in favor of developing Decker's conflict with Davidson, his superior, which leads to a shocking, surp ...more
Carla Patterson
Sep 02, 2015 Carla Patterson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-challenge
This is one of my favorite of the Decker/Lazarus novels partly because I have read other, later, novels in the series before it. A story which is told more than a decade later in this fictional world was obviously the outcome of the story being told in this novel. It was fascinating to watch it unfold knowing where it was going to lead.

But, on top of that, I could identify with several of the characters in the story and that was cool, also. ;)
Rosemarie
Jul 06, 2014 Rosemarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting novel. The plot was not only well written, keeping me guessing as to whether or not the suspect actually was guilty of the murder; but it also intrigued me with two first-person points of view. The first-person point of view of the main character, Peter Decker, was maintained. However, the other first-person point of view was from the close friend of the suspect, who told his story and background and her relationship with him. That technique certainly kept the plot tw ...more
Andrea
Apr 05, 2014 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I loved this book because I first read HangMan, which is the successor to the story of Chris Whitman and Terry McLaughlin.
It explained the beginnings of the complicated relationship revealed in Hangman, and was a engaging story as a stand alone novel. Plus Justice involved a crime among these high school students where Hangman involved a parallel crime story along with the family story of Terry and Chris Whitman (now Chris Donatti).
Marti
Feb 05, 2015 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A prom queen has been killed. The supposed killer is Chris Donati, the son of a Mafia boss. Chris had been tutored--needlessly it seems since he is a brilliant student--by Terry. Chris is a real scumbag, and Terry is suffering from a loss of morals herself. Homicide Detective Peter Decker is the officer who relentlessly works the case. Not everyone gets what he or she deserves.
  • Flesh and Blood (Alex Delaware, #15)
  • Last Breath (Body of Evidence, #9)
Faye Kellerman was born in St. Louis, Missouri and grew up in Sherman Oaks, California. She earned a BA in mathematics and a doctorate in dentistry at UCLA., and conducted research in oral biology. Kellerman's groundbreaking first novel, THE RITUAL BATH, was published in 1986 to wide critical and commercial acclaim. The winner of the Macavity Award for the Best First Novel from the Mystery Readers ...more
More about Faye Kellerman...

Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Ritual Bath (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #1)
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
  • Milk and Honey (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #3)
  • Day of Atonement (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #4)
  • False Prophet (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #5)
  • Grievous Sin (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #6)
  • Sanctuary (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #7)
  • Prayers for the Dead (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #9)
  • Serpent's Tooth (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #10)
  • Jupiter's Bones (Peter Decker Rina Lazarus, #11)

“ain’t” 0 likes