Start by marking “Dead Silence (Stillwater Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Silence (Stillwater Trilogy, #1)

Dead Silence (Stillwater Trilogy #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,260 ratings  ·  63 reviews
There's a body buried behind a Mississippi farmhouse. Grace Montgomery knows who it is, and she knows why it happened. She was only thirteen the night it all went wrong. And now, like then, she has no choice but to keep her mouth shut.

Grace left the town of Stillwater thirteen years ago, trying to forget, trying to make good. As an assistant D.A. in Jackson, she's finally
Published August 1st 2006 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Silence

Jane Stewart
What a wonderful book. I didn’t want to stop reading.

REVIEWER'S OPINION:
Complex characters. It kept me up late at night. It was in my thoughts throughout the day until I finished it. The romance and feelings of family love were wonderfully satisfying at the end. Just lovely. This book is the first in a trilogy.

STORY BRIEF:
Grace Montgomery was sexually molested by her stepfather. The locals believed her preacher stepfather "walked on water" and didn't know about his perversion. The stepfather die
Cláudia
I've heard a lot about Brenda Novak from friends and was curious do read the book.
It's a quick read, light, not anything really special in terms of mistery and thriller, as we know almost everything from the beginning and just wait to see the expected relationship between Grace and Kennedy develop and if the crime is discovered or not.
I've seen this is a trilogy, I think it will be more of the same, just changing the main character. I'll probably read it, though, a little romantic mysteries ne
Fauziah
I didn't know this is a trilogy. So, put on hold Dead Right n start with this first.

Really good eventhough the characters are quite complex. However, you cannot help but sympathize with Grace.....after going through a "rough" childhood, she succeed in life but you cannot forget the past. Can't wait to read the 2nd series.
Beth Cato
I don't read romantic suspense, and I don't think I will again. I don't like the feeling of waiting the entire book for something bad to happen. As for the setting of this book - Stillwater, Mississippi? It has a lot annoying, unpleasant people in high concentrations. Something must be in the water. Probably the body of the reverend who has been missing for over a decade.[return][return]The book follows Grace and her return to Stillwater, a town that abused and traumatized her. Even with a succe ...more
Ana T.
First of all I would like to say I'm really enjoying Novak's writing style, she keeps me entertained and wanting to know more. The thing is that this book is written from a victims point of view, we know from the beginning that Grace was a victim of her stepfather (I was guessing right away at sexual abuse) and that that trigered her behaviour in high school leading her to be a victim then and now of some boys who never grew up.

I always have some trouble reading books / scenes where the characte
Meigan
I am a sucker for books written around what I like to call "THE BIG SECRET". They always suck me in from the jump. I like how the reader knows a small portion of the secret from the beginning, only a few characters know the secret, and there is an interesting story that unfolds where characters are trying to protect "THE BIG SECRET". You always know that more and more people are going to learn about said secret. The part that I like is the reader is never wholly presented the secret, we get to l ...more
S.L.
It's been eighteen years since Reverend Barker went missing, but the mystery still haunts the people of Stillwater. And Grace Montgomery has the answers they need.

This is the first in Brenda Novak's Stillwater trilogy. I've been meaning to start reading this before now (which is a common refrain in my blog, I know), but I've finally made it. Brenda's a member of my RWA chapter, so I'm always worried that I'm going to be too harsh or too kind. You are welcome, as with all of my reviews, to take t
Mary
This book was super good!
It's about a woman named Grace Montgomery who comes back to her childhood city of Stillwater, Mississippi to finally face her demons of what actually happened when her stepfather mysteriously "dissapeared". The town is small so every hates Grace and is convinced that her family is responsible for the dissapearence of their beloved reverend.
Kennedy Archer is one of those people. He is running for mayor, so he needs to maintain his positive appearence. But she has somethin
Glenajo
I got totally cought up in this series. A poor mother marries a highly respected minister and returns to his town with her children. When the minister disappears, the entire town blames the family, but there is no proof of fowl play. Grace, thirteen at the minister's disappearance, returns to town in this novel. Towns people a determined to discover the truth, and Grace is determined to confront her past as goals and opinions collide.
Pat Cromwell
By far the best of the Stillwater Trilogy. This is one of those romances that touch your heart. I read it without a tissue but there were definitely lumps in my throat. As a matter of fact Grace, the heroine, shows up in the remaining two books and when she did ... lumps! The Stillwater Trilogy is Brenda Novak's best and most superior works to date. Because of the Trilogy, I'll keep an eye out for Ms. Novaks books.
Dead silence was an edge of your seat, can't find a place to set this book down read. This book kept my attention from the first page. There was mystery, suspense, drama and romance all wrapped up in one neat and tidy package. Brenda Novak knows how to draw the reader in and gives you a mental picture in your mind's eye throughout the whole book...this was extremely well written.
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
As usual with book club books I can't comment much until after our discussion. But I will say that this is a decent romantic suspense.
Christine
Yet another book I read to not read the Girl who Kicked the Hornets nest.
Anita Truong
This book took me approximately 8 hours to complete. How do I know this? Because I had started reading it at 2:30 A.M., fully intending on simply getting it started and then getting some sleep so that I could get a head start on my day since I had a rare-two-night-off opportunity that wasn't my usual weekend off. I don’t remember what I’d had planned for the day, because now the day keeps slipping from my thoughts, but… well…

So much for “Let’s read for a couple hours then get to sleep.”

I stopped
Annie
This was a quick and entertaining read. It, like most great “summer reads”, involves some suspension of belief. Novak gives her readers a hook into her series with steam scenes, sexy characters, and a plot that is full of intrigue, mystery and suspense. I appreciated that the book has its own conclusion while still tying into the next book in the series. The reader gets closure with the current characters and can decide if and when they want to try reading the next book(s) in the series.

Dead Si
Marilyn Groves
Wasn't terrible for a romantic suspense, but have to admit I got bored with the (unlikely) actions of the characters and resulting predictability of the plot. Skipped or skimmed lots of pages in the middle. I'm sure this won't be a popular review, but there just wasn't much 'meat' in this book. Not sure I'll get more by this author, unless this is an early novel & more current novels get solid reviews.
Ashley
This book interweaves the feeling that most of us went through in high school, not feeling like we fit in and a story of what really happened to the Reverend. Grace will do anything that she can for no one else to find out what really happened to her stepfather that night after years of abuse and staying quiet. She also has to deal with coming back to her hometown after thirteen years of running from the truth. Her brother and her mother are not so innocent either. A romance also develops that y ...more
Carrie
3.5* Good writing, good tension, hateful secondary characters. This is a good book and the reasons I have for not liking it as much at it probably deserved is that I really hated the secondary characters. There is only so much prejudice and verbal abuse I can stand. The main characters, Grace and Kennedy, were great, and so were Kennedy's two sons. I'm not sure I want to read any more of the trilogy just because it feels stressful. However, if a good dose of tension is your cup of tea, then this ...more
Cassandra
This is the first in a trilogy. It was a pretty good book, quickly paced for the most part. It didn't feel like a page-turner as I was reading it, but as I updated my progress every night, it seems that I read a lot farther than I thought I had. It wasn't action-packed or fast-paced, but made you want to see what was next. I don't really have much to say, except that I'd recommend it for anyone that likes some suspense, along with some romance. I'm moving on to the next book in the series, Dead ...more
Cindy
When I downloaded this book I thought I was getting a thriller. This book is more drama/harlequin romance.

Spoilers ahead: My one main beef was the last chapter. Having a new wife automatically calling her kids her sons sounded a little off to me. I also didn't like how the sister (or no one else really) really question how or why the bible showed up. I understand this is a series so I guess I will have to read the rest to see if my questions are answered.

Decent read.
Marianne
Susan
Update: This series has impressed me a whole lot more the second time around. Blame menopause.

My original review: Odd, I didn't find anything of interest in the rest of this series, but I really liked the chemistry between this H/h. There was just a hint of a past between them (she was from the wrong side of the tracks when they knew each other as school kids, and had an unrequited crush) to set up a gentle conflict that builds into some heat. Good suspense.
Nigelle-ann
wow what a great start to this series, I love Grace and Kennedy, and his boys are wonderful. the subject of child abuse is never easy to read however it was handle with good thought and care.
Sandhya
Great book! Loved the author's writing. The romance and mystery was perfectly blended. Even though there was not much suspense as we already knew the back story, there were lot of mysteries which made the story interesting. I loved Grace, felt sad for her for what she endured but she was an admirable character. Kennedy was also so sweet n he was so good to Grace. And the two kids they were wonderful so cute.
Patty Buehl
This is a great series love Brenda's books
Debra
Jun 23, 2014 Debra added it
good book
Natalie
I enjoyed this book,and this plot very much.The only part that bothered me was near the end when Grace was smacked around and it was never brought up by the following events.But thats my take on it.The plot itself was something I would never have come up with but thats me.I very much admire the authors that can come up with this stuff.I will be reading more from this author.
KimKirt
Enjoyed it enough to want to continue on in the series. Good suspense. The coming together of Grace and Kennedy was a bit of a let down. I suppose I expected more bells and whistles in that department and not just "and then he entered her." Well? Sorry! Just my honest opinion. I do want to read Clay's story and hope the sizzle picks up a little in that one.
Heather
This was my first Brenda Novak book. It was pretty good. While it was a suspenseful book, I wouldn't really call it a "mystery". I would've rated it higher except I that could have done without the handful of sex scenes that were in the latter part of the book. I do plan on reading the rest of the Stillwater trilogy because I want to see what happens.
Dawn ♥ romance
I couldn't get into this story. The plot quickly became obvious as heroine's secrets were revealed extremely slow and her humiliation was piled on way too thick. Only read first few chapters. Attorney Grace returns to her hometown to face her past and crosses paths with Kennedy who is popular, rich and now a widower.
  • Thread of Fear (Glass Sisters, The #1)
  • Speak No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #1)
  • Kill Me Twice (Bullet Catcher, #1)
  • One Scream Away (Sheridan, #1)
  • Sweet Revenge (Last Chance Rescue, #8)
  • Ice Storm (Ice, #4)
  • Waking Evil (Mindhunters, #2)
  • Fade to Black (Black CATs, #1)
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • No Regrets (Delta Force, #1)
  • Have You Seen Her? (Romantic Suspense, #2)
  • After Dark (Griffin Powell, #1)
  • Mercy Street (Mercy Street, #1)
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a
More about Brenda Novak...
When Lightning Strikes (Whiskey Creek, #1) When We Touch (Whiskey Creek, #0.5) Trust Me (Last Stand Series, #1) When Snow Falls (Whiskey Creek, #2) Stop Me (Last Stand Series, #2)