Start by marking “Dead Silence (Stillwater, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Silence (Stillwater, #1)

Dead Silence (Stillwater Trilogy #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,722 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Grace Montgomery, unable to forget a horrible tragedy that occurred thirteen years ago, returns home to confront her family and falls for widower Kennedy Archer, who puts his political ambitions in jeopardy--and his life in danger--when he pursues a relationship with her. Original.
Published August 1st 2006 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2006)

Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Stillwater trilogy by Brenda Novak. Grace Montgomery, an Assistant DA in Jackson, comes back to Stillwater to come to terms with her past. But the people of Stillwater aren't making it easy for her. Her stepfather disappeared 18 years ago and the people of Stillwater blame her and her family. Kennedy Archer is a widower with two boys who is running for mayor. Getting involved with Grace isn't a good idea for his political aspirations.

Great start to the series. Of course th
Jane Stewart
What a wonderful book. I didn’t want to stop reading.

REVIEWER'S OPINION:
Complex characters. It kept me up late at night. It was in my thoughts throughout the day until I finished it. The romance and feelings of family love were wonderfully satisfying at the end. Just lovely. This book is the first in a trilogy.

STORY BRIEF:
Grace Montgomery was sexually molested by her stepfather. The locals believed her preacher stepfather "walked on water" and didn't know about his perversion. The stepfather die
Mary
Jun 18, 2010 Mary rated it it was amazing
This book was super good!
It's about a woman named Grace Montgomery who comes back to her childhood city of Stillwater, Mississippi to finally face her demons of what actually happened when her stepfather mysteriously "dissapeared". The town is small so every hates Grace and is convinced that her family is responsible for the dissapearence of their beloved reverend.
Kennedy Archer is one of those people. He is running for mayor, so he needs to maintain his positive appearence. But she has somethin
Winter Sophia Rose
Nov 14, 2015 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Intriguing, Intense, Deeply Emotionally & Touching! A Powerful Read! I Loved It!
Cláudia
I've heard a lot about Brenda Novak from friends and was curious do read the book.
It's a quick read, light, not anything really special in terms of mistery and thriller, as we know almost everything from the beginning and just wait to see the expected relationship between Grace and Kennedy develop and if the crime is discovered or not.
I've seen this is a trilogy, I think it will be more of the same, just changing the main character. I'll probably read it, though, a little romantic mysteries ne
Fauziah
Feb 05, 2011 Fauziah rated it really liked it
I didn't know this is a trilogy. So, put on hold Dead Right n start with this first.

Really good eventhough the characters are quite complex. However, you cannot help but sympathize with Grace.....after going through a "rough" childhood, she succeed in life but you cannot forget the past. Can't wait to read the 2nd series.
Ian Mcnamara
Feb 09, 2016 Ian Mcnamara rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of a free book series, the Stillwater trilogy. The reverent Lee Barker went missing 18 years ago, Grace Montgomery his stepdaughter her mother and brother Clay are the only three people who know what happened. However, they are not talking. Grace has come back to Stillwater in order to come to terms with her past, a successful attorney in Jackson she has now decided to come back and face her past. Kennedy Archie is in the running to be the mayor of the town, he should real ...more
Beth Cato
I don't read romantic suspense, and I don't think I will again. I don't like the feeling of waiting the entire book for something bad to happen. As for the setting of this book - Stillwater, Mississippi? It has a lot annoying, unpleasant people in high concentrations. Something must be in the water. Probably the body of the reverend who has been missing for over a decade.[return][return]The book follows Grace and her return to Stillwater, a town that abused and traumatized her. Even with a succe ...more
Ana T.
Feb 07, 2008 Ana T. rated it really liked it
First of all I would like to say I'm really enjoying Novak's writing style, she keeps me entertained and wanting to know more. The thing is that this book is written from a victims point of view, we know from the beginning that Grace was a victim of her stepfather (I was guessing right away at sexual abuse) and that that trigered her behaviour in high school leading her to be a victim then and now of some boys who never grew up.

I always have some trouble reading books / scenes where the characte
Meigan
I am a sucker for books written around what I like to call "THE BIG SECRET". They always suck me in from the jump. I like how the reader knows a small portion of the secret from the beginning, only a few characters know the secret, and there is an interesting story that unfolds where characters are trying to protect "THE BIG SECRET". You always know that more and more people are going to learn about said secret. The part that I like is the reader is never wholly presented the secret, we get to l ...more
S.L.
Nov 12, 2007 S.L. rated it liked it
Shelves: recentlyread
It's been eighteen years since Reverend Barker went missing, but the mystery still haunts the people of Stillwater. And Grace Montgomery has the answers they need.

This is the first in Brenda Novak's Stillwater trilogy. I've been meaning to start reading this before now (which is a common refrain in my blog, I know), but I've finally made it. Brenda's a member of my RWA chapter, so I'm always worried that I'm going to be too harsh or too kind. You are welcome, as with all of my reviews, to take t
Patt
Aug 02, 2015 Patt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
An interesting tale of abuse, murder, suspicion, and revenge. When Grace returns to town, she is no longer the teenage girl who entertained all the boys, but she is now a successful district attorney' Will the secrets of the past destroy her or will she find acceptance and love? This was a great quick read.
Cassandra
Feb 23, 2013 Cassandra rated it really liked it
This is the first in a trilogy. It was a pretty good book, quickly paced for the most part. It didn't feel like a page-turner as I was reading it, but as I updated my progress every night, it seems that I read a lot farther than I thought I had. It wasn't action-packed or fast-paced, but made you want to see what was next. I don't really have much to say, except that I'd recommend it for anyone that likes some suspense, along with some romance. I'm moving on to the next book in the series, Dead ...more
Glenajo
May 29, 2011 Glenajo rated it really liked it
I got totally cought up in this series. A poor mother marries a highly respected minister and returns to his town with her children. When the minister disappears, the entire town blames the family, but there is no proof of fowl play. Grace, thirteen at the minister's disappearance, returns to town in this novel. Towns people a determined to discover the truth, and Grace is determined to confront her past as goals and opinions collide.
Pat Cromwell
Feb 10, 2009 Pat Cromwell rated it really liked it
By far the best of the Stillwater Trilogy. This is one of those romances that touch your heart. I read it without a tissue but there were definitely lumps in my throat. As a matter of fact Grace, the heroine, shows up in the remaining two books and when she did ... lumps! The Stillwater Trilogy is Brenda Novak's best and most superior works to date. Because of the Trilogy, I'll keep an eye out for Ms. Novaks books.
Donna
Aug 28, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Grace Montgomery has returned to her hometown of Stillwater, Mississippi to face her past. Eighteen years ago, her mother, brother, sister and she accidently killed, covered up, and buried her stepfather on their farm. He had been molesting Grace for years. The town remembers him as a good reverend and her as a no good temptress. No one expected her to graduate at the top of her class as a lawyer. But she's never been able to put her past behind her. The town's elite banker and his so ...more
Jul 27, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Dead silence was an edge of your seat, can't find a place to set this book down read. This book kept my attention from the first page. There was mystery, suspense, drama and romance all wrapped up in one neat and tidy package. Brenda Novak knows how to draw the reader in and gives you a mental picture in your mind's eye throughout the whole book...this was extremely well written.
Kerry  sullivan
There was something very odd in the style of this book,it felt like you were being told the story by someone who was shouting it at you. Don't get me wrong the story was compelling and drew me in but I felt like I needed ear muffs after. This is the first book in a trilogy and I will be reading the others but not yet.
Colleen
Sep 16, 2008 Colleen rated it really liked it
Novak is becoming a must read author for me. I read all of her books in the Last Stand series first and then turned to the Stillwater trilogy. I have read the first two books and am currently reading that last one. I have not been disappointed!
Stacey
Jan 22, 2015 Stacey rated it it was amazing
Fabulous characters...I actually found myself caring for these people. The plot was fairly different and you're sure to feel empathy for the true victims of the heinous crime. It's an age old story of "who really is the victim?" Several times throughout a character says something about believing in justice. This book makes it clear that justice is viewed differently in the town of Stillwater. Innocent until proven guilty means nothing to the town's residents who are all too eager to persecute wi ...more
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
As usual with book club books I can't comment much until after our discussion. But I will say that this is a decent romantic suspense.
Christine
Yet another book I read to not read the Girl who Kicked the Hornets nest.
Marianchu
Feb 21, 2016 Marianchu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me ha gustado mucho. Increíble como la autora nos va contando a pequeños retazos los acontencimientos que sucedieron hace 18 años y que afectaron a una familia y a toda una comunidad.
Personas que NO son lo que a primera vista parecen. Celos, intriga, mentiras... Los personajes tanto principales como secundarios estupendos.
Otra de las cosas a destacar es la traducción tan exquisita que me hizo disfrutar la historia desde la primera palabra. En resumen, si te gustan las tramas de suspense bien hil
TJ
Mar 22, 2015 TJ rated it really liked it
I could NOT put this story down! The characters are rich and complex. Grace and Kennedy's romance was a the only thing slightly lacking (The reasons Kennedy was so taken with Grace enough to risk so much were never really clear.) But,the mystery is written with a subtlety and intelligence that builds until the author has the reader completely engrossed and lost to the outside world until that last page is turned.Luckily I started this story well after all three in the trilogy were written. I can ...more
Anita
This book took me approximately 8 hours to complete. How do I know this? Because I had started reading it at 2:30 A.M., fully intending on simply getting it started and then getting some sleep so that I could get a head start on my day since I had a rare-two-night-off opportunity that wasn't my usual weekend off. I don’t remember what I’d had planned for the day, because now the day keeps slipping from my thoughts, but… well…

So much for “Let’s read for a couple hours then get to sleep.”

I stopped
Annie
Jan 07, 2012 Annie rated it liked it
This was a quick and entertaining read. It, like most great “summer reads”, involves some suspension of belief. Novak gives her readers a hook into her series with steam scenes, sexy characters, and a plot that is full of intrigue, mystery and suspense. I appreciated that the book has its own conclusion while still tying into the next book in the series. The reader gets closure with the current characters and can decide if and when they want to try reading the next book(s) in the series.

Dead Si
Theresa Schmidt
Jan 01, 2016 Theresa Schmidt rated it really liked it
Teddy and Heath are sooo cute, and I like how the sex is just implied rather than explicit like in her "Stop Me" series. It's easy to see how Grace became who she was in H.S. and really sweet watching Kennedy help her through everything and bring her out of it. Unconditional love really shines and makes this special. Novak's best.

Note: The rest of the series is far inferior; save yourself the agony and just pretend it ends here.
Sosi Demirtshyan
My husband bought me this book for the international book giving day,of course I read it in 2 nights. It's a book that you will finish in a couple of hours, a light and quick read. But I don't like books that don't add anything to my inner book-adoring-goddess. Give me philosophy, food for my brain, something to think about after I finish it. But if you want a book just for killing time, this is it.
P.S. I'm not gonna read the next 2 books of trilogy, they are all stand-alone,I will pass ;)
Erica
Nov 03, 2015 Erica rated it it was ok
I really really didn't like this book. First off I had no idea that it was a romantic suspense novel. Had I known that I would never had read it.

The buildup in Kennedy and Grace's relationship seriously was only developed in one page. One page Grace doesn't like him. The next both are suddenly bursting with desire for each other.

I'm just like nope.

I don't really like romances and was more interested in Grace's past and the suspense part of this book but since the author focused more on the rela
Anna
Apr 20, 2015 Anna rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
The beginning made my stomach hurt, the next third was quite good, the second third was pretty boring, and I gave up 80 pages from the end because I was just sick of it. I thought this was going to be romantic suspense, but what the book was really straight romance with an undercurrent of secretive past events. I suspect it still could have worked for me, but a lot of the book just felt like padding.
  • Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1)
  • One Scream Away (Sheridan, #1)
  • Love You to Death
  • Fade to Black (Black CATs, #1)
  • Thread of Fear (The Glass Sisters, #1)
  • Speak No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #1)
  • Kill Me Twice (Bullet Catcher, #1)
  • Ice Storm (Ice, #4)
  • Pitch Black
  • Count to Ten (Romantic Suspense, #6; Chicago, #5)
  • After Dark (Griffin Powell, #1)
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • Don't Let Go (SEAL Team 12, #5)
  • Deadly Lies (Deadly, #3)
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a
More about Brenda Novak...

Stillwater Trilogy (3 books)
  • Dead Giveaway (Stillwater, #2)
  • Dead Right (Stillwater, #3)