Start by marking “Invitation to Solitude and Silence: Experiencing God's Transforming Presence” as Want to Read:
Invitation to Solitude and Silence: Experiencing God's Transforming Presence

Invitation to Solitude and Silence: Experiencing God's Transforming Presence

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Ruth Haley Barton invites you to meet God deeply and fully outside the demands and noise of daily life. She leads you on a journey toward freedom and authenticity, toward becoming the person God cr
Published January 9th 2004 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about Invitation to Solitude and Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invitation to Solitude and Silence

Scott Jeffries
One disturbing trend I have found in my long study of Spiritual Formation and discipleship is how quickly these ideas can be reduced to a listing of spiritual disciplines or a discussion on spirituality that seems very foreign and inaccessible.

Then someone like Ruth Haley Barton comes along and Spiritual Formation moves away from what normally gets presented. In its place is a life with Jesus that seems absolutely necessary for a truly Christian life. The practice of solitude and silence may be...more
John Compton
Ruth Haley Barton shares her experience with silence and solitude in such a way that it is an invitation to join her in this process. She nails our tendency to want quick fixes in life and that we need this practice to recognize the slow-work of God. She gives helpful practices at the end of each chapter that can help beginners, which I plan on referencing in the future.

Best quote, "There is an even greater truth: before you were even aware of your desire for God, God desired you. He created yo...more
David
Living in the twenty-first century, we struggle with solitude and silence. for they seem to be times of non-productivity. Both secular and religious subcultures tend to devalue times of being, as opposed to times of doing. God's invitation to solitude and silence is an invitation to enter into a deeper, more intimate relationship with our Lord. Each chapter of the book offers teachings, reflections and ideas of how to put solitude and silence into practice. Too often our lives are like a jar of...more
Ian
I felt invited to adopt " Silence" as my word for 2013.

Funnily, enough as I looked around for some wise counsel on the subject, I was led to this beautiful work that has been sitting on my bookshelves for a few months. I can't recall why I bought it originally, however, now sense some divine purpose in it.

This is a delightful book to read. It is filled with some tremendous Biblical insight regarding Elijah's journey into the wilderness in 1 Kings 19. This revelation underpins the gentle flow of...more
Melissa AuClair
I am reading through this book a second time- really good reflection. In today's busy and overstimulated culture, spending intentional time in quiet can be intimidating- but it also can be freeing. Ruth is a gentle teacher; she uses the life of Elijah to structure the book. Ruth is also very honest about her own life, her struggle with busyness, frustration being a Christian but not living up to her own desired standards and the difficulty of entering into silence and solitude.

Of course, we can...more
Brian Johnson
This is an amazing book, which is not simply to be read, but is to be meditated on and practiced. This is a short book, but don't try to read it quickly. Instead, absorb the Barton's teachings on solitude and silence, and practice the exercises at the end of each chapter. This is a book to be lived. I really believe that looking back, I will be able to say this was one of the most influential books on my life.
Taija
Jun 29, 2013 Taija rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who is too tired or too busy to enjoy life in its abundance
Shelves: christian-study
...STILL haven't finished because I lent it to my sister...

As I'm reading through this book, the theme that continually resurfaces in my mind is the importance of noticing. The author uses the analogy of a jar of river water, all shaken up with its sediment swirling around. I am that jar most of the time; I forget to be still and NOTICE. To wait until everything settles into place and the water is clear so that I can notice what God is doing, how I'm feeling, what life is truly about. I'm also l...more
Merv Budd
Invitations to Solitude and Silence by Ruth Haley Barton invites us to follow the spiritual pilgrimage of the Prophet Elijah. It provides practical and helpful insights in learning to be still in God’s presence. I used it as my morning devotional reading and found that it created in me a greater thirst for being still in the presence of God. Each chapter ends with a practice with which to engage in order to ground the teaching in activity and not just academia.

For those of you who struggle to be...more
Shar'on
Wendy C
First, in this fast paced society so bent on production, this book runs counter....I have learned to slow down, take time to intentionally put times of silence/solitude in my day to day, week to week, month to month. THIS IS GRACE FILLED and invites you to come to be with Yourself and with God....much needed connections to be made and many people do not make them. The book leaves you craving deeper intimacy with Jesus. I bought Sacred Rhythmns b/c this one was so good and the write is so very op...more
Daniel
I stumbled across this book at Christian Fellowship meeting book table when I was in a period of trying to grow in my devotional life.

Ruth Haley Barton is a masterful storyteller and encourager as she challenges you to stop and listen for the presence and voice of God. Every chapter has elements of teaching and practicals so she walks you step by step as you venture into disciplines of silence and solitude.

For anyone who wants to grow in spiritual discipline and is intrigued by ideas of stoppi...more
Michael Austin
This book is illuminating, insightful, and intensely practical. In just a few months' time of incorporating solitude and silence into my life, guided by working through this book, I've seen a positive change in terms of guilt and spirituality that I have needed for years. For that alone, this book deserves 5 stars from me. The writing is clear, interesting, and wise. It goes on my short list of favorite books about spiritual formation.
Rachel
I am certain that I will return to this book often over the next several years. Highly recommend to anyone who is feeling the call of solitude and silence, or simply wants to more intimately know God and rest in His presence.
Refreshing, challenging, and so encouraging- Ruth Haley Barton echoed the cry of my heart in this season- more of you Jesus, deeper still- abiding in the vine.
Ebookwormy
This is basically a how-to guide on incorporating the spiritual disciplines of solitude and silence into your life.

Although the author makes me somewhat uncomfortable (see my review of "The Truths that Free Us", I think I will give this another try.

Ummm. Well. I made it through a couple of chapters before I became ill and had enough solitude and silence for a good long time...
Betsy
I gave this book four stars, but will probably increase that on a second, more careful reading. While this book would be of greAt use to people at all stages and ages, it would be a real lifeline to people with small children who are struggling to keep too many balls in the air. I found myself wishing a number of times that I had read this when I was a young mother.
Pegweaver
I actually wasn't able to finish it, which gives a clue to what I thought of it. I wouldn't say I disliked the book, but it wasn't especially enjoyable to read, and it was chock full of "not new information" for me.
I felt like I could have written the book, in a much more readable fashion... and collecting the royalties would be wonderful. :-)
Meredith Onion
This book came into my
life at the perfect time. Ruth's combination of honesty about her own journey, the wisdom she clearly accumulated along the way and her very helpful and practical "practices" was a perfect combination. I have returned to ministry after a sabbatical feeling refreshed and renewed thanks to this book and thanks be to God!
Lisa
I really enjoyed this book as a practical way to begin the practice of "being still" which is very hard for me. Each chapter has great insights which really resonated with me and an exercise at the end which helped me to focus. I still have a long way to go, but this book has helped me to just sit, reflect, and listen.
Tammy
This helped begin my journey of becoming a recovering perfectionist. Reading this during my sophomore year of college helped me start to re-evaluate how I was spending my time and exerting my energy, to be able to identify God's voice among the chaos. It felt as though she was speaking to me personally!
Bailey Urban
This book opened my eyes to the clearly lacking piece of my spiritual life - solitude. I enjoyed reading this book and know it is going to take more than one book like this in order to teach and discipline me how to be in solitude.
Mary Jane Johnson
This book taught me the importance of quiet time with God. It is truly the only way we are intimate with the God who created us. I can now spend quiet time alone and not be alone at all. Quiet time means no phones, TV or computes that is the process of being free of this world.
David
Read this originally in June 2010, during a much needed sabbatical.

Ruth Barton's story inspires to get back into spiritual health and balance. My need for solitude and silence coincided with this book and refreshed and renewed my prayer life.

Angela
Mar 26, 2007 Angela rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Busy people
Shelves: christian
We thrive on busyness, but that also makes it easy for us to forget to nurture the deepest parts of our soul. This book brings us back to a place of silence, and teaches us to take care of our spirit along with everything else.
Elin
An easy-to-read and practical book that touches my deepest hunger; to meet God deeply and fully outside the demands and noise of daily life. An invitation to solitude and silence - which I'm in desperate need of.
Amy Young
Ruth is an active person so the ways that she implements silence and solitude to "quiet the stirred up river water" within her and allow it to settle was attractive to me. This is a annual must read.
Carl Holmes
Good meditation on the importance of silence and solitude to having a well formed soul. I look forward to reading Sacred Rhytms which follows up on it. First, I practice silence.
Jill
I definitely need to read through this slower (maybe a chapter a month) and spend time implementing her practices. Being silent before God is not optional. Must. Choose. Wisely.
Teresa Sharp
I just re-read this book while in a cabin alone for some time of solitude and silence....great way to focus and lots of tips for incorporating this into our lives.
Mike Lamb
I can see its usefulness for some people. I am beginning to understand its usfulness for me. I'm not quite there yet, however. I may need to read it again.
tricia vannatter
I took it chapter by chapter and let them each make take time out to reflect and practice silence and solitude. Effective as far as you let it take you.
  • The Gift of Being Yourself: The Sacred Call to Self-Discovery
  • The Way of the Heart: Desert Spirituality and Contemporary Ministry
  • Sacred Pathways
  • Making Room: Recovering Hospitality as a Christian Tradition
FROM BOOK COVER:
Ruth Haley Barton is a writer, spiritual director, and retreat leader. She is co-founder of The Transforming Center, a community of Christian men and women who shape and care for the souls of leaders. She has served on the staff at several different churches, including Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, IL, where she co-authored a spiritual formation curriculum enti...more
More about Ruth Haley Barton...
Sacred Rhythms: Arranging Our Lives for Spiritual Transformation Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership: Seeking God in the Crucible of Ministry Pursuing God's Will Together: A Discernment Practice for Leadership Groups Longing for More: A Woman's Path to Transformation in Christ Sacred Rhythms Participant's Guide: Spiritual Practices That Nourish Your Soul and Transform Your Life

“We are starved for quiet, to hear the sound of sheer silence that is the presence of God himself.” 0 likes
“At times the strength of spiritual community lies in the love of people who refrain from getting caught in the trap of trying to fix everything for us, who pray for us and allow us the pain of our wilderness, our wants, so that we may be more deeply grounded in God.
ROSEMARY DOUGHERTY”