Start by marking “From Silence to Voice: What Nurses Know And Must Communicate to the Public” as Want to Read:
From Silence to Voice: What Nurses Know And Must Communicate to the Public

From Silence to Voice: What Nurses Know And Must Communicate to the Public

As nurses face the ongoing challenges of an increasing need for their services combined with economic pressures, members of the largest profession in health care must become more visible, vocal, and influential. The first communication guidebook designed expressly for nurses, From Silence to Voice helps nurses understand and overcome the self-silencing that often leads RNs ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 296 pages
Published March 1st 2006 by ILR Press (first published December 15th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about From Silence to Voice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Silence to Voice

Joe
Nov 26, 2009 Joe rated it really liked it
This is a classic which should be read by every nurse, becasue it explores the psychologiucal issues of risk-taking and assertiveness with whcih every nurse must grapple.

The premise is simple: nurses see and participate in the most dramatic situations you can think of, every day, and yet people have no idea what nurses do, how they save lives, or what nurses are thinking. The authors ask the simple question - "why?"

The answer has to do with the hierarchical nature of nursing ( our yin-yand with
Tiffany
Jul 11, 2007 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Nurses (and doctors if they were feeling open minded)
This book has changed my nursing career. It pointed out to me why nursing has historically been a silent profession. We are the largest workforce in the healthcare industry, yet we are not heard. When was the last time you heard a nurse being quoted on CNN or in a newspaper? This book gives instruction on how to change our profession to one that speaks out as advocates for ourselves and our patients.
Ruth Neese
Jul 23, 2010 Ruth Neese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nursing
This book was written by a journalist, not a nurse! Her purpose was to "open nurses' eyes" to the invisibility of nurses in the media. The book also provides pointers on how to make nurses more visible to the public by explaining how to write everything from a letter-to-the-editor to a newspaper article. Practical, enlightening, and encouraging; I highly recommend this book to nurses and anyone who wants to publicize what nurses really do in health care.
Romeo Pakasi
Mar 07, 2013 Romeo Pakasi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nursing
This book is a must have for Nurses because Suzanne has done a great job unpacking the root cause of the oppression and horizontal violence in Nursing profession.

Suzanne Gordon is a true advocate for Nursing profession and explain powerfully how to empower nurses and the nursing profession in the media, workplace and public sphere.

Janet
Sep 21, 2009 Janet rated it really liked it
Interesting book about how to get the word out about nursing's contribution and importance in health care as people equate health care = doctors. A lot of the focus is on how to market oneself as a nurse - at work, media, etc.
Kristi
Oct 02, 2012 Kristi rated it it was ok
I didn't read the whole book (because it wasn't assigned). The parts I did read I didn't agree with %100. It seemed like she was a bit desperate. Trying to force her points.
Judy
Jun 13, 2011 Judy rated it liked it
first few chapters were thought provoking. The rest will be a reference in the event I need it.
Michelle
Jan 10, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
This is a must read for all RNs!
Melissa
May 18, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Corina
Corina added it
Aug 18, 2016
Michael Connolly
Michael Connolly marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Adee
Adee rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Jeff & Bet
Jeff & Bet marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Martha
Martha added it
Apr 13, 2016
Alex Ramirez
Alex Ramirez rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
jeanne m hargrave
jeanne m hargrave rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Maria Beatriz
Maria Beatriz marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Lisette
Lisette marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Lavoria Barrett
Lavoria Barrett marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016