Start by marking “The Stolen Bride” as Want to Read:
The Stolen Bride

The Stolen Bride (Lovers and Ladies #3)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  15 reviews

When Beth Hawley journeys to Lord Wraybourne's castle to help young Lady Sophie Kyle prepare for her wedding, she has to share her carriage with two unexpected travelers, the rakish Sir Marius Fletcher, who is stranded after his curricle overturns, and an unidentified elderly woman, found unconscious in a wrecked carriage.

As the date of Sophie's wedding draws near, Beth

Published June 1st 2010 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published August 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Stolen Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stolen Bride

Desi
Writing style was good but I didn't like the story. It was disjointed and circular and the focus jumped around too much between characters. It read like an epilogue to some other tale rather than a stand alone and it somehow had minimal charm. I did enjoy the toddler and his obsession with trailing after the one person calling him a brat and telling him to go away.

The ex- governess and the baronet fell ridiculously flat as characters, they also didn't spend nearly enough time interacting with e
Janet
I've never quite been able to decide how I feel about this book: I like all the characters but it just feels a bit like not enough plot for a full book. I just started "Emily and the Dark Angel" and I like it a lot more -- and in part, because the h/h of Stolen Bride are part of it. Beverley's Regencies are not to be missed tho.
QNPoohBear
This book is part of a series and references events that seem to have happened in Lord Wraybourne's Betrothed, which I have not read. I was intrigued by references to Randal and Sophie in A Regency Valentine and wanted to know more about them. I was disappointed that there was little character development in this story. Randal and Sophie are already in love and engaged and their misunderstanding is trifling and tedious. Likewise Beth and Sir Marius are underdeveloped. Their romance takes a back ...more
Lynne Tull
How can you not like a book by Jo Beverley? I even read her Georgian Period Series...although, I am stuck in the Regency Period. Just when it seemed as if the story was dragging, she gives you a twist in the plot. I think you will like it. This is not billed as a series, but there are connections. The next book that is connected is "Emily and the Dark Angel". I am in line for it on http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php
In the meantime I am going to read two of the last connected stories in "Love
Dena
A great, easy read.
Lisa
I kept wishing that more time would be spent on the secondary romance of Beth & Marius rather than Sophie & Randle. It would have been much more fun to spend the time to see the relationship develop between Beth & Marius rather than watch watch the other two frustrated that they weren't getting married sooner. Oh well, we take what we can get.
Janga
I'm so happy to see Jo Beverley's early traditional Regencies reissued, but rereading them has reminded me of how much I'd still like to see Beverley write the story of Kevin Renfrew, the Daffodil Dandy. I think he's one of her most interesting creations.
Mary Lauer
Fun. I think I liked the Beth/Marius story almost better than the Sophie/Randal one. Tho I did really like the conversation when Randal made clear why he had been acting the way he had.
Rosa C.
Very annoying heroine. My rating is more 2.5 stars than 3 stars but I settled for 3 because I like the author's style.
Stacey
Terrible. Awkward, cliche, boring, unconvincing... a disappointment, surely.
Sandra Mccormick
Slow going, but anyting Jo Beverly is good.
Alisha
Really enjoyed this one as well :-)
Frances Fuller
What a waste of money.
Pamela Belsham
Pamela Belsham marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Christopher J. Armacost
Christopher J. Armacost marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Bronwyn
Bronwyn marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Nh
Nh added it
May 20, 2015
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Gracie Liberty
Gracie Liberty marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Sarah added it
Jun 21, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 10, 2015 08:11AM
  • Captured Hearts: Five Favorite Love Stories
  • The Intrigue
  • The Heartbreaker (Maker, #4)
  • The Last Bachelor (Mistress, #1)
  • Dedication
  • My Lady Coward: An Episodic Regency Romance
  • Isabella & The English Witch (Trevelyan Family, #1 & #2)
  • Christmas Revels
  • To Wed A Viscount
Mary Josephine Dunn was born 22 September 1947 in Lancashire, England, UK. At the age of eleven she went to an all-girls boarding school, Layton Hill Convent, Blackpool. At sixteen, she wrote her first romance, with a medieval setting, completed in installments in an exercise book. From 1966 to 1970, she obtained a degree in English history from Keele University in Staffordshire, where she met her ...more
More about Jo Beverley...

Lovers and Ladies (6 books)
  • The Stanforth Secrets (Lovers and Ladies, #1)
  • Lord Wraybourne's Betrothed (Lovers and Ladies, #2)
  • Emily and the Dark Angel (Lovers and Ladies, #4)
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lovers and Ladies, #5)
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
My Lady Notorious (Malloren, #1) An Arranged Marriage (Company of Rogues, #1) An Unwilling Bride (Company of Rogues, #2) Devilish (Malloren, #5) Something Wicked (Malloren, #3)