Start by marking “Not What She Seems” as Want to Read:

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  1,372 ratings  ·  166 reviews
A New York Times bestseller!

Steven Ashton, a billionaire from New York, and Emily Grant, on the run from the law...and when they meet he can’t help falling for her. What he doesn’t know is that interfering in her life will put his own life in danger.

When billionaire Steven Ashton couldn’t stand his high society social life anymore, he left the stress of New York on a vacat
Published April 17th 2010

To ask other readers questions about Not What She Seems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not What She Seems

Alice Yeh
I chose this novel after seeing a great number of Ms. Lieske’s posts on Kindleboards. The summary sounded interesting, so I figured, “Oh, why not? It’s only $2.99.” For the price, it was certainly a bargain, and hundreds of sales and positive reviews don’t lie, right? Right.

I’ll start off with the good. The storyline was interesting, keeping the reader in a constant “whodunnit” frame of mind. Every suspect had a reasonable motive, and all of it tied together rather nicely in the end.

Now, for the
Jason
I can't claim to be an expert on romantic suspense, because I've really never read one before, but I picked this one up and I'm very glad I did. I think it says something about the book's broad appeal that even a reader like myself could find it enjoyable. The dynamic between Steven and Emily drew me in immediately. Their interactions did have a coy, clever quality to them that both highlighted their own personalities and made them mesh.

The title of this book could've just as easily been "Not W
Michelle
Is Emily Grant an innocent young mother, or is she a hard-boiled killer? Billionaire Stephen Ashton must decide before it's too late.

Okay, let's be honest. The book is a quick, easy read and not a deep, philosophical tome. A beach book for certain. And as a fan of Patricia MacDonald and LifeTime Movie Network romantic thrillers, I adore these kinds of books (just like I adore all other 'bad for you' things: M&M's, movie popcorn, sweet iced tea...you get the idea.) But while Lieske's book cer
Erin
Celia
Storyline:
Victorine truly has a victory with this sweet romance/suspense story!
It started off really well and grabbed my attention right away; at times it was difficult to put down and I nearly missed my stop a couple of times on the way to work. (This would have definitely been no bueno because I am not a morning person and having to do any extra walking in the morning is not my idea of fun!)
The story is easy to follow, but there are enough twists and turns to keep you guessing. At the end,
Dave
I have read on Victorine Lieske's success as an indie author on Kindleboards, and saw her mentioned in the NY Times top 100, so I was very curious. I like mysteries, but the combination with romance did not appeal that much, to be honest.

The romance part fitted seamlessly into a tight, well-crafted plot, however, and added depth to the main characters, Steven and Emily. The mystery element was executed extremely well. At one point there was not one character in the novel I did not suspect. And I
Vicki Keire
It's been quite a long time since I read something in this genre, and I was happy that when I did, it was with a good read like this one. I'd call this a sweet romantic suspense. The writing was excellent. Ms. Lieske kept up a fast pace that didn't drag or get boring or, alternately, go so fast as to lose the reader. Her writing was lean but descriptive- no long, flowery, unnecessary expostions here. Her dialogue was believable, as were her characters. In fact, I developed quite a fondness for s ...more
Patricia A. Woodburn
An Excellent Beginning
Emily believes that she killed her husband, William. Steven Ashton, a billionaire, tries to escape from his high society life by travelling incognito to Nebraska. Emily and her son, Connor live with Richard, an obnoxious High school friend who controls Emily with the belief that she is wanted for murder.

Richard cooks up a plan for Emily to gouge money from Steven Ashton, now called Ethan. Emily half heartedly complies with this, but feels guilty.

Ethan and Emily start to d
Jessica Bowers
By Victorine E. Lieske

This exciting story of a woman on the run from her terrible abusive past will have you on the edge of your seat. Emily Grant and her four year old son, Connor, are trying their best to keep the past behind them. She is currently on the run until she meets a wonderful, handsome, caring, man named Ethan, actually the billionaire Steven Ashton, and she begins to fall in love. When she realizes who he really is she devises a plan to get money from him so she
comfort
Unfortunately the audio probably skewed My take on this book. It seemed to be a cross between computer generated voice and quite a nice voice, maybe it is something to do with the production.

Anyhow the story was quite good a murder mystery involving a squillionaire (incognito), a waitress and her creepy "boyfriend".

But all is not what it seems. Poor girl waitress, recognises squillionaire (who is having a little holiday away from the spotlight) and attempts to fleece him out of some money so she
Imogen Rose
An enjoyable read. Not What She Seems tells the story of Emily, a small-town girl on the run (I won’t give away any spoilers) with her son and best friend from high school. It tells the story of Steven, a high-profile New Yorker who, after an accidental encounter with her, becomes entangled in her complicated life. This was a sweet, romantic tale. The story line was fairly predictable, but captivating. The Kindle version was well formatted.
Laura Sullivan
This is a great book, you really won't know what to expect. You will fall in love with the characters, and all the while trying to figure out who is the bad guy in all this mess. You will enjoy the story, it is completely worth your time.

I look forward to more from this author..
Mandi
I loved this book. It kept me on my toes and wondering "who really did it". If you like a good love story and mystery, this is the perfect book to read.
Charissa
This was a good romantic suspense thriller. Emily is on the run with Richard, her controlling friend who keeps them hotel hopping across the country as he drums up illegal money. When she encounters a man who looks like billionaire Steven Ashton in a run-down motel, Richard determines to follow the man and have Emily win his heart to get $100,000 out of him. She doesn’t want to, but must in order to keep her child safe. This story has lots of action, several intriguing characters that seem possi ...more
Kechelle
Goodness, it’s been a long time since I’ve reviewed a book. So a sincere apology there to anyone who reads these.

Victorine E. Lieske was born 1972 in Nebraska. Victorine has written one novel so far, let’s hope there are many more to come!

I won Not What She Seems through Good Reads, much to my delight. When the book arrived I was reading Echoes by Jackie Hyman, oh how I wish I’d put that book down and read Not What She Seems sooner.

Billionaire Steve Ashton takes a vacation to escape the pressu
Elizabeth Svigar Stephen
I really enjoyed this book. I found myself thinking about it between reads, wondering what was going to happen, suspecting different people of different actions and motivations, and dying (ha!) to get to the end to find out. This lovely romantic suspense novel begins with us meeting Steven Ashton, a lonely, good-looking billionaire. Then we are introduced to an interesting cast of characters… and a somewhat unsolved murder, though Lieske crafts well to that also.

Plot: A cat-and-mouse-and-cat-and
Maria
Contemporary romantic suspense is probably my favorite type of book, but only if the plot is complex and unpredictable, and the tension is balanced with some lighter scenes and/or humorous moments. Victorine Lieske’s "Not What She Seems" gets high marks from me in both of these categories.

Now, for about the first quarter of the book, I was not impressed. There were only a few important characters, and I thought I had the whole plotline figured out lickety-split. I was wrong. At about that point,
Craig Hansen
NOT WHAT SHE SEEMS by Victorine Leiske is a stunning debut novel. Although categorized generally under romantic suspense, this is no Harlequin or Silhouette romance, and although the book will appeal to women, it’s not exactly “chick lit,” either, because anyone who enjoys a good edge-of-your-seat thriller will find this novel appealing.

Personally, I’m a fan of suspense authors; it’s one of my favorite genres. I like some of Thomas Harris’ pre-HANNIBAL novels, I’ve enjoyed most of what James Pat
Roy
Lieske's suspense/romance "Not What She Seems" lives up to the title, in that I was expecting more of a suspense/thriller, but ended up with a sort of light paced romance novel, instead.

Which might not be a bad thing, if that's what you're looking for, but romance wasn't on my mind.

I did enjoy that there were some elements of mystery involved (who killed her husband? What's the secret everyone is so touchy about? Is the friend everything he seems to be?), but, by the end of the novel, I found
Tonya

What I liked about the story:

1) The whodunit surprise at the end.

What I didn't like about the story:

1) The love story was stilted and cold. I didn't feel any love between Steven and Emily at all.

2) There were too many suspects/plot twists/crimes going on at the same time. Multiple murders, bribery, illegitimate children, domestic disputes...the list can go on and on. You don't have to add everything to have an interesting story.

3) Connor was not believable at all. He didn't act like a 4 year o
02malloryl
Do you like mystery, murder, suspense, and a plot that keeps you guessing? Then this is a great book for you. Not what she seems is full of all those things and more like backstabbing friends, over protective mothers, and a love story that continues throughout the book. Something that I really liked was how the book kept me guessing the whole time! It wasn’t until the last couple pages that I realized who the murder was. Another thing that I liked was how the book gave just the right amount of ...more
Ashley
So, I got really into this book from the very first page. Immediately I was curious about Emily and what was going on with her and Richard and how her little boy Conner fit into everything. Each page kept me on edge, anxiously wondering what was going to happen next. I felt like there were too many twists and turns toward the end and I really hated how it ended with Emily just falling asleep.

I really wanted more details about her and Steven and where there relationship was headed after they fou
Gina Barlean
I personally had to give it a 3 star, but only because I just don't care for romance novels. It just wasn't gritty enough for me. Not enough blood or cursing or meanness! Yeah. I like gory gritty stuff.

BUT:
Regarding the writing: Perfectly clean.
Plot: Solid. Good twists. Nice surprise ending I didn't expect.
Characters: Solid, but too polite for my taste. I really liked the character, Richard. I'd have liked to known more about him. His story seemed like a psychological mess and it intrigued me.
Kevin Bowser
Well, first of all, I am really glad I read the book before I read the reviews of the book. If I had read the reviews first, I am ight have skipped this little gem.

Come on. Be honest. Haven't you ever wondered what it would be like to be a gazillionaire and try to imagine what their life must be like? Maybe I am the only person who has (although I doubt it.)

This story is about a young billionaire, Steven Ashton, who becomes disenchanted with his life. He becomes tired of the lifestyle and the w
Dana
This has got to be the worst book I ever read. Or rather, started but never finished. This is the story of Emily and her son Connor, who are on the run (with an old friend of Emily's- Richard) after Emily's husband is murdered. This is also the story of multi-billionaire Steve Ashton. I'd tell you more about them, but the author wrote them as one-dimensional characters, so there isn't much to say, except that their paths cross, Steve falls in love with Emily and is determined to help her prove h ...more
Julie
Not What She Seems starts out with billionaire Steven Ashton trying to get away from the stresses of his life and business for a while, and finding some peace in a small town in Nebraska. He meets a young woman and her four year old son, and soon gets wrapped up in their life and trying to help them. Unfortunately, he doesn’t know that she is wanted for questioning in a murder and is thought to be a con woman. Events spiral out of control and Steven is torn between trying to help her and not kno ...more
Maggie White
Very good suspense crime story. A lot of twists and turns in the plot which kept me guessing about the murderer till the end. Emily was married to William and William was found murdered. Emily had left the town and not been seen for 4 years. Steven is a billionaire who meets Emily through a mutual friend and they fall for each other whilst both pretending to be other people. They soon tell each other the truth and then starts the nightmare of who killed William.
Sherry
Steven Ashton is a Billionaire and Bored. He hasn't found a woman to share his life with. Most woman cant see past the dollar signs. He leaves one day to get away from all the craziness of life. He wants to find a simpler time . Then on his journey he meets Emily. Emily is single mom with an adorable little boy Conner. Emily is on the run. She has a past that she is trying not to think about and a bleak future ahead with a man she thought was her protector. She has to get away from Richard, he h ...more
Victoria Gallagher
Where do I start. There are a few rediculoous parts in it, and it's a tale I have read time and time again so no originality there. It was a quick read too and just when you think the storyline has gone too far, the author brings back the past of the characters current actions at the right time, so I have to give her credit for that. Not a great book, but not bad either. It is a Kindle book.
Scott Collins
Overall I enjoyed the book. I liked the characters, good pacing and an interesting plot. The reason for the three star rather than five star is due to a few plot holes that just kept nagging at me. Others have mentioned it in their reviews as well. A character just stepping away (never to return) at a pretty critical point in the book, lack of computer security for a guy who is supposed to be pretty tech savvy, a billionaire who's wary of women because of money issues, but then starts tossing mo ...more
  • Hidden Steel
  • Too Close for Comfort (Loveswept)
  • Safe Harbor
  • Shadow of Death
  • Through Smoke
  • Legwork
  • Touched By Angels (Loveswept, No 538)
  • The Heart of Lies (Paradise Valley Mystery, #2)
  • Bound By Blood
  • Irrefutable
  • Frame-Up
  • The Edge Of Trust (Team Edge series, #1)
  • While You Were Dead
  • Her Last Letter
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • Death Has a Name (Brodie Wade, #1)
  • Bound to Love
  • The Deadliest Sin
The Practice Date Accidentally Married The Overtaking The Gathering - A Short Story Find It! Hidden Picture Book: People

“The agent smiled, her cheeks a bit pink from the cold. “The door is original to the home, built in 1890. I love the fish-scale shingles on the siding. It completes the wonderful Victorian look.” She pointed up at the house as she spoke, her shoulder-length hair blowing in the breeze.” 0 likes