Start by marking “No Will But His” as Want to Read:
No Will But His

No Will But His

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The author who "masterfully builds a dramatic story" presents another gripping novel of the women of Tudor England. As the bereft, orphaned cousin to the ill-fated Anne Boleyn, Katherine Howard knows better than many the danger of being favored by the King. But she is a Howard, and therefore ambitious, so she assumes the role Henry VIII has assigned her-his untouched child ...more
Published April 6th 2010 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published April 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about No Will But His, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Will But His

Lucy

Just when I thought I’d read it all and had my fill on Kathryn Howard, comes a book to rekindle my heart. No Will But His, the title of this sublime read, was also Kathryn’s chosen motto... it couldn’t have been more perfect. Kathryn definitely had no say, from beginning to end- and that’s not only where Henry was concerned; Kathryn indulged everyone.

Caring too much about others while forsaking herself along the way, Kathryn dared not hurt or disappoint. Hoyt captures this essence completely, an
Samantha
The author either was seriously confused about the time period in the beginning (the pianoforte was not introduced until the the mid to late 17th century, and she kept switching back and forth from more modern english to old english) and / or her editors just didn't care (names and pronouns often got mixed up until about the middle of the book).

Now, for the story itself: I hardly think Katherine Howard was that innocent and naive. History tells us the affair with Culpepper went on for months, n
Linda Lipko
I've read more books about Henry VIII and his six wives than I can count. Fascinated by this subject, I continue my quest to learn more and more and to find a new book with a new twist. Sadly, this wasn't the one!

I assume the name of the book No Will But His refers to Henry VIII and his controlling personality, yet, even as one who knows a lot about the subject, I'm mystified how the author published with this title.

The book focuses on Katherine Howard, wife #5 of rotund, open-wound stinking, me
Carley {I'm not like a *regular* mom, I'm a *cool* mom}
I love reading books about Henry and his wives so I was pleased to see one about Catherine Howard, wife # 4. I’ve always found her to be really interesting what with being cousin to Anne Boleyn and how naïve she seemed to be. This book showed a different side to Catherine Howard then what I’m used to seeing. She had a conscious and some brains! I did feel like the end was too quick although I guess that’s what happens in the Tudor court.
Helen Azar
Well written and clearly well researched historical novel about Henry VIII's fifth wife, Kathryn Howard. Kathryn is portrayed as a little too intelligent, and a little too angelic to be completely believable though. But I did enjoy this novel enough to read it all the way through, and to give it 4 stars.
Beverly Diehl
Kathryn Howard, fifth wife of Henry VIII, second wife beheaded by Henry VIII. We don't even know how old she was, and this novel offers a plausible explanation why.

There are some nice bits here - an early encounter with Thomas Culpepper, two early promises of strawberries that never materialize. I also liked the way Kathryn is portrayed as having too soft a heart, never being willing to hurt any creature, and easily played by "friends" like Manox who claimed hurt.

However, the book feels a bit lo
Rachel Swords
Amber
Jun 24, 2010 Amber rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tudor geeks
This is the first historical fiction novel I have read that is solely about Catherine Howard. I have read The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory, but she wrote that from three perspectives: that of Anne of Cleves, Catherine Howard, and Jane Boleyn. So I bought this because I was seriously lacking books on Henry VIII’s fifth queen.

From my love-of-books-and-fiction perspective, I found this to be a good novel and addition to my Tudor collection. From my historical perspective, I found a few an
Carla
While I disagree a tiny bit with the way that Kathryn Howard was portrayed as a naive, childlike figure, I think that this book still has an overwhelming degree of accurate detail. The story is told correctly even if her motivations for her licentious acts are a little unclear. Still, it generated in me a strong degree of sympathy for the young queen, which is not something I had previously felt for her. Whether or not she was scandalous or just plain gullible, there's no ignoring the fact that ...more
Amanda
Sarah A. Hoyt, mostly of Shakespeare fiction fame, takes one of the most scandalous wives of the Henry VIII, Kathryn Howard, in true Philippa Gregory/biographical fiction tradition. I had high hopes for this novel -there's so much juicy intrigue to pull from. How could you go wrong?

Readers first meet young Kathryn Howard when she's sent off to live in the home of the dowager duchess, a family relative. Even though Kathryn is raised to be a well-mannered, graceful young woman who will one day mar
Lia
Kjirstin
I really enjoyed this story, since Kathryn Howard was one of Henry VIII's wives that I haven't read much about. Everyone talks through the first two wives to such great detail, and yet there are another four to be discovered... Anyhow, it was very interesting to think through how a poor girl of good family, almost no money, relatively little education, and a friendly temperament could have gotten herself involved with, and eventually in trouble with, a king of Henry's sort. I greatly enjoyed rea ...more
Elizabeth
if you ignore the issues the author has with historical details & names, and the inconsistency with old language dialogue, this book isn't too bad. written about henry VIII's fifth wife, katherine howard, the story flows relatively well. her character, while accurately majorly ignorant of life & court, suddenly becomes wise & calculating at the end. what gives? the prologue hints at this character reformation, yet it isn't well developed. if katherine was truly so ignorant of how to ...more
Lindsey
Quick read about Catherine Howard-more focused on her upbringing than her marriage to Henry VIII. Her downfall and the events leading up to it seemed rather hurried but maybe that's how quickly she really fell from favor.
Judith
A comprehensive historical novel, teasing out the sad tale of the fifth wife of Henry VIII and perhaps the most to be pitied. Certainly this is historical fiction, but it is so well researched and is so completely in sync with the historical record, that Ms Hoyt has produced a work of which she and any serious author could be proud. Loving this Tudor period in English history, I was anxious to see what she had done with this story. It is a wonderful look-see into the life and times of Tudor roya ...more
Alex
An interesting take on Katherine Howard's life. The author portrayed her less as a slutty idiot here, but did reinvent history just a bit. It doesn't bother me in historical fiction, but I do wish she had put an author's note explaining why she went the way she did on some of the stories.

I did like that the characters spoke in "Old English", but not so much that it was hard to read. It is a little jolting to read such modern jargon in other novels, and I thought this one hit the nail on the head
Christy English
A woman used by everyone in her life, in this novel Kathryn Howard is given a voice, which is a rarity in the fiction I've read about Henry VIII. As always, I felt a great deal of pity for this doomed woman, and as I read I wished that Kathryn had had more caution and/or better friends. I found this novel sad, but moving.
Kara

Better than Confession of Katherine Howard, worse than King's Rose.

It has good points and bad points, leaving me unsure how I feel about it overall.

Brooklyn
I really enjoyed this book. This is the first I've read from her point of view, and it was a very interesting and fun read.
Heather Domin
[to be reviewed for HNS May 2010:]
Cyndi
Cyndi marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Christyjw2002yahoo.com
Christyjw2002yahoo.com marked it as to-read
Devanshi Thakar
Devanshi Thakar marked it as to-read
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Ewa
Ewa marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Leah Mcrae
Leah Mcrae marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Roxanne Wesley
Roxanne Wesley marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Lordi Anna
Lordi Anna marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Sian
Sian marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
  • Her Mother's Daughter: A Novel of Queen Mary Tudor
  • Dear Heart, How Like You This?
  • A Lady Raised High: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • The Sixth Wife
  • The Queen's Rival (In the Court of Henry VIII, #3)
  • King's Fool: A Notorious King, His Six Wives, and the One Man Who Knew All Their Secrets
  • His Last Letter: Elizabeth I and the Earl of Leicester
  • Jane Seymour: Henry VIII's True Love
  • At the King's Pleasure  (Secrets of the Tudor Court, #4 )
  • Rival to the Queen
  • Vengeance Is Mine: A Novel Of Anne Boleyn, Katherine Howard, And Lady Rochford  The Woman Who Helped Destroy Them Both
  • Young Bess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #1)
  • The Queen's Handmaiden
  • In the Shadow of Lady Jane
  • The Rose Without a Thorn (Queens of England, #11)
  • Secrets of the Tudor Court
  • All the Queen's Players
DarkShip Thieves Draw One in the Dark (Shifters, #1) Darkship Renegades Ill Met by Moonlight (Shakespearean Fantasies, #1) Gentleman Takes a Chance (Shifters, #2)