The Glen Rock Book of the Dead

The Glen Rock Book of the Dead

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In her author’s note to the book, Marion Winik writes that in Mexico on the Day of the Dead, “people build altars to their loved ones . . . they go to the cemetery and stay all night, praying, singing, drinking, wailing. They tell the sad stories and the noble ones; they eat cookies shaped like skeletons. They celebrate and mourn at once.”

Striking that balance, The Glen Ro...more
Published December 1st 2010 by Counterpoint (first published November 1st 2008)

Wayne
This is one of those finds that I think bookstores and conversation are one of the few ways one could decide upon reading it. Its the quick glance inside that gets you and nails you to the wall. I wasn't even looking for this book. That's generally the way it happens when you find a great bookstore, you leave with your arms weighed down and your pocketbook vanquished. Something pushed it into my hands off the 'Rebecca Reccomends' shelf of Greenlight Bookstore in Ft. Greene, Brooklyn. I read Wini...more
Seth
Clever little book. Clever idea (one short chapter each for each person she's known who's died) and not macabre at all. In fact, it's alive. She's especially good at describing each person very quickly--in 30 or 50 words. In and out. And she picks nice moments to dramatize. I think that beginning creative nonfiction students could learn a lot from this on how to bring characters to life, quickly, on the page. Also, how to write a short, short essay about a person, with a point. Read this in abou...more
Megan Stolz
First of all, this is such a beautiful book. I love the design inside and out. The concept is also wonderful -- a page and a half or so honoring each of the deaths in Marion Winik's life. The writing is heartfelt with undertones of humor and sadness.
Tiffany
May 08, 2011 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hampton Cade
Recommended to Tiffany by: Jane McCafferty
Shelves: non-fiction
Wonderful book; great for reading slowly or in one go. I use "The Realtor" as an example of masterful exposition in my creative writing classes.
Gerry LaFemina
Micro essays about dead people that sometimes almost feel like a bus load of prose poems collided into a classroom full of obituaries, this book is a delight in small doses (I want to use some of these in the classroom!), but read straight through they get a bit monotonous, particularly in tone.
Anthony Moll
Still Winik's best work. A total pleasure and an absolute heartbreak to read.
Yvonne
I like the concept of this book--writing short essays about people the author met who had died. The essays were beautifully written. But you couldn't read too many at once or they all started to blend together. You had to read this book slowly, a few essays at a time.
Lisa
This is a depressing book made up of incoherent sketches of all the dead people in the self-indulgent and irresponsible narrator/author's life. It only took 2 hours to read it, and it was worth it only in that I could then tell other people not to bother.
Rita
My initial reaction is to call this book a short, fun, and playful read. But a book filled with obituaries of people Marion Winik has known is not fun or playful, right? She did right by these people and has laid them to rest in these obituaries.
Kim
Winik does an incredible job of telling her story through the deaths of those she knew in one way or another. A creative way to set up a memoir. The nicknames she gives her "characters" makes it easy to follow her intertwining stories.
Suzanne LeRoy
"The Glenrock Book of the Dead" is a phenomenal portrait of 51 people who touched Marion Winik's life. Beautifully written - an extraordinary book of love, loss, joy, and a host of life's emotions.
Stephanie
I always love Marion Winik, and this is true here, too. The title is disconcerting. But don't let that stop you!
Beenish Khan
More like a 2.5. Interesting idea, but the execution wasn't that cool.
Ddgarcia1861
this lady knew ALOT of people that died. Interesting.
Mary
Woohoo! I get to meet Marion in a few weeks!
Meagan
Short, sweet, brief, deep in all the right ways.
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Jul 21, 2014
Hilary
Hilary added it
May 21, 2014
Michelle Junot
Michelle Junot is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
First Comes Love Telling Rules for the Unruly: Living an Unconventional Life Above Us Only Sky: Essays The Lunch-Box Chronicles: Notes from the Parenting Underground