Start by marking “The Corpse Wore Tartan (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #4)” as Want to Read:
The Corpse Wore Tartan (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #4)

The Corpse Wore Tartan (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #4)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Can there be such a thing as too many men in kilts? Normally Liss MacCrimmon, proprietor of Moosetookalook, Maine’s one and only Scottish Emporium, would say no. But that’s before one of them turns out to be murderous…

The bagpipes are blaring at Moosetookalook’s finest hotel, reopened just in time to host an annual celebration of Scotland’s most beloved poet. But when the
Published November 1st 2010 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about The Corpse Wore Tartan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Corpse Wore Tartan

The Poacher's Son by Paul DoironClammed Up by Barbara  RossShadows of a Down East Summer by Lea WaitThe Bone Orchard by Paul DoironBoiled Over by Barbara  Ross
Maine Mysteries
16th out of 79 books — 11 voters
The Children's Blizzard by David LaskinThe Snow Child by Eowyn IveySnowblind by Christopher GoldenThe Cruelest Miles by Gay SalisburyBlizzard by Jim Murphy
Books about Blizzards
16th out of 22 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Sheilagh Lee
Review: The Corpse Wore Tartan (Liss MacCrimmon Scottish Mysteries) (Hardcover)

ISBN-13:978-0-7582-3879-5

ISBN-10:0-7582-3879-7

By Kaitlyn Dunnett

Liss has started getting comfortable in a relationship with Dan the co-owner of the newly renovated hotel, The Spruces. Dan is a hard working craftsman and has used his craft to spruce up the hotel and bring it back to its former glory. Liss is working as a hotel liaison for the Scottish contingent that has come to the hotel for Robert Burn’s day celebra
Karen
First, a big THANKS to Goodreads. I won this book in one of their giveaways.

The Corpse Wore Tartan is the fourth book in a series of cozy mysteries featuring Amaryllis Rosalie (Liss) MacCrimmon. The series is written by Kaitlyn Dunnett.

Liss is a former professional Scottish dancer who, because of a career-ending injury, has taken over her family’s “emporium” in Moosetookalook, a small, picturesque town in Maine. The series’ supporting cast includes Liss’ aunt, Margaret MacCrimmon Boyd, her high
Susan
Liss MacCrimmon runs a Scottish heritage store in remote Moosetookalook, ME, so she's the logical person to be liaison when the Scottish Heritage Appreciation Society holds its annual Robert Burns dinner at the newly renovated local hotel. Her friend Sherri is called in when one of the guests says he's been robbed--which is lucky, because the town and hotel are hit by a ferocious snowstorm that leaves the hotel isolated from the outside world just before a body is discovered in a storage closet. ...more
Addison Public Library
Winters can be tough in Maine, especially in small towns like Moosetookalook. When a blizzard traps guests at a Scottish banquet at the swankiest hotel in town, Liss MacCrimmon can't help but get involved. The victim, the less obnoxious of a set of twins, was bludgeoned then had his throat slashed with a skein-dhu, a 6" knife commonly only used to cut the Haggis at Burns Suppers. While the blizzard rages outside, the guests soon realize that the killer is also trapped inside and may be getting m ...more
Lynn
I enjoyed this book, which begins with a gathering to celebrate Robert Burns birthday at the "new" resort hotel in town, The Spruces. Liss MacCrimmon, former Scottish dancer and now owner of the town's Scottish goods store, is there as liaison to the group. What follows is a blizzard, stranding everyone at the hotel, and, of course, a murder. While I enjoyed this book, the 4th in the Liss MacCrimmon series, I must admit that there were times when her attitude in this book made me want to shake h ...more
Marlyn
Liss is helping out her aunt Margaret, the new events coordinator at The Spruces hotel, by acting as liaison to the Scottish Heritage Appreciation Society for their Robbie Burns Day dinner.

The job is definitely a challenge, as the SHAS representatives that she is dealing with (Phil MacMillan, his wife Eunice and his identical twin brother Phineas) are all exceptionally unpleasant people.

The melodrama begins when Phil complains that his clan brooch was stolen from his room, and local police off
Lynn
Kaitlyn Dunnett has a great series that is based in a small rural town in Maine and Liss who was a professional Scottish dancer until an injury stopped her career. Liss returned home and became a business partner with her aunt running a Scottish specialty shop and life seems to be continuing in an agreeable way. She has renewed friendships with people from her youth and become a member of the small business association. What more could anyone ask for?

Well a blizzard arriving during the Burns Nig
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I had fallen behind in reading this delicious series by Kaitlyn Dunnett. So, I ordered the book I had missed and pre-ordered her next volume. Good for me. I loved the book as I sensed I would.

The corpse did, in fact, wear it's family tartan and so the tie in to the title was perfect and from that instance to the ending, I enjoyed my reading journey. You are not overwhelmed with all things Scottish and I noticed that the Author struck a better balance between Scotland and Maine, which to my think
Vickie
Don't you just love this cover? Oooooo! Cozy mystery in the classic sense...everyone is trapped in a big old hotel in a snowstorm that shows no sign of letting up, communication is lost with the outside world, and there's a dead body in the basement and it's....murder.
I will be looking for the rest of this series. I didn't feel like I'd missed anything by reading the fourth in the series before any of the others. It did whet my curiosity for the next in the series as well as starting at the begi
KB
I've read the first 4 books in the series in as many days... Still fun books... Still kept me guessing until the end.

However, I noticed a few editing errors (referring to a character with the incorrect surname ... a simple typo) that marred my enjoyment of the work.
Ann
I never learn do I? I really dislike this heroine and don't know why I keep picking up these books. I love mysteries but this series just sets my teeth on edge. Don't bother!
Denise Louise
Pretty predictable. I had the mystery solved before the corpse was cold. This is the first of the series I've read and I don't think I'll read another. It was not terrible but not really very good either.
Michele
This was cute, I have read previous books in the series, but seemed to drag a bit. Too many different little "side-shows" distracting from the big plot and I got to wishing they would just wrap up the case. When characters who are supposed to be annoying get too annoying that dampens the desire to stay with the story, and that happened a few times here as well.
Overall, I like the main characters and the coziness of the setting and all the scottish information.
The plot, involving twins, was a bit
Stephanie
Either this book was SUPER predictable or I'm turning into a real-life Miss Marple...
Georgene
A good book to take to the beach. Not riveting, but I've certainly read worse.
Maria
It was a nice easy read. i was disappointed because I figured out who the murderer was early on. I did enjoy it so I will read some of her other novels.
Paula
This is a murder mystery set amidst the backdrop of a newly renovated historical hotel in Maine; a meeting of the Scottish Heritage Appreciation Society draws people to the hotel. And a heavy snowstorm hits, that traps everyone at the hotel- guests, staff, owners alike. And then the body is found in a little used storage room.

You will enjoy the byplay with the staff, the guests the Maine locals as they sort out the who-what-where and when of the murder. This was a light read.
Lynn
This was a good mystery, though not a great one. The "trapped in paradise" and "identical twins" plots are a bit overdone, but I thought this one was done well, even if I had the plot point and killer figured out as soon as the murder was discovered.

The story was a light, easy read and a good visit with welcome friends, just what I like in series books. It's not a heavy, serious or life changing book, but then not everything needs to be. It's just good fun.
Caroline
I really enjoy Kaitlyn Dunnett's Moosetookalook series! I love the Maine setting and, being of Scottish descent myself, I like all the Scottish stuff in these books. This is an excellent entry in the series with a group of Scottish Heritage fans getting together in Dan's father's newly opened hotel and getting snowed in with a murderer! I'm happy about the development of the characters and I'm already looking forward to the next one! Thanks, Kaitlyn!
Amanda
When everyone is trapped in Moosetookalook’s finest hotel in a snowstorm that shows no sign of letting up, with no communication with the outside world, and there's a dead body in the basement and it's....murder. Liss has to figure out who among the quarrelsome Scottish Heritage Appreciation Society has committed the murder before more bodies end up in storage...
Marti
The Corpse Wore Tartan is a good old-fashion who-dun-it in a trapped in a hotel in Maine during a winter storm. The characters are quirky. The story line clear and just convoluted enough so you needed to do some guessing. I did like the main characters, the setting and the story line. Liss MacCrimmon and Moosetookalook, Maine might not ever be the same.
Judy
This story takes place in a small town in Maine. The Scottish Heritage Appreciation Society is having an annual dinner celebration. A blizzard hits. A dead body is found and the story begins. There were some red herrings and the ending did surprise me. This looks like a fun series and you don't have to read them in order to follow the story.
Brenda Kirton
Pretty good but the copy I had was flawed. The pages were cut so the writing was too close to the middle on a lot of pages. I'm not sure how much this influenced my impression of the book. Although I must say I figured out the particular plot device for the murderer. So not bad is about it.
Vera
Liss, Dan. Sherri and Pete are stranded at The Spruces Inn when a snowstorm rolls in during a Robert Burns Dinner there. A murder takes place, and no one can get in or out easily. This was a good variation on the old all the suspects in one place theme. Good read.
Kate
My favorite book of the series so far.
Laurie
This was a First-Reads win and I never received the book. Disappointing.

What a surprise... I received the book today.

I hard a hard time warming up to the main characters. Perhaps you need to read this series in order.
Kalendra Dee
Lists MacCrimmon has her hands full coordinating the Burns Night Supper for a Scottish group. When a blizzard blows in and strands the guests, things quickly spiral out of control when one of the guests is murdered.
Leslie Ferrari
Another fun read even if the murderer was not exactly a surprise.
Nancy
Sep 25, 2012 Nancy added it
Liss MacCrimmon, owner of the Scottish Emporium in Maine, is helping the planning of a Burns night at the biggest hotel in town. One of the attendees is murdered, his twin brother was the murderer.
Amanda Nairne
A great cosy mystery. In the tradition of the genre, a country house hotel murder with a blizzard and a few twists along the way.
  • If Mashed Potatoes Could Dance (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery #2)
  • The Probability of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #2)
  • One Book in the Grave (A Bibliophile Mystery, #5)
  • The Pumpkin Muffin Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #5)
  • Town in a Lobster Stew (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #2)
  • Assaulted Pretzel (An Amish Mystery, #2)
  • Peach Pies and Alibis (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #2)
  • Panic Button (Button Box Mystery, #3)
  • Death of a Country Fried Redneck (A Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #2)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • A Catered Thanksgiving (A Mystery with Recipes, #7)
  • Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • The Walled Flower (Victoria Square, #2)
Kaitlyn Dunnett is a pseudonym used by Kathy Lynn Emerson, author of the Face Down Mysteries featuring Susanna Appleton, 16th century gentlewoman, herbalist, and sleuth, the award-winning How to Write Killer Historical Mysteries, and a wide assortment of other books.

Kathy Lynn Emerson was born in Liberty, New York and began writing as a child: a newspaper for her dolls and then a rambling adventu
More about Kaitlyn Dunnett...
Kilt Dead (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #1) A Wee Christmas Homicide (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #3) Scone Cold Dead (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #2) Scotched (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #5) Bagpipes, Brides and Homicides