Start by marking “The Corpse Wore Tartan (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Corpse Wore Tartan (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery, #4)

The Corpse Wore Tartan (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #4)

Can there be such a thing as too many men in kilts? Normally Liss MacCrimmon, proprietor of Moosetookalook, Maine’s one and only Scottish Emporium, would say no. But that’s before one of them turns out to be murderous…

The bagpipes are blaring at Moosetookalook’s finest hotel, reopened just in time to host an annual celebration of Scotland’s most beloved poet. But when the
Published November 1st 2010 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about The Corpse Wore Tartan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Corpse Wore Tartan

Dawn Michelle
MUCH better than #3!!
This one had me guessing up until most of it was revealed; there were plenty of red herrings and Liss was amazingly enough, WAY less whiny than she was in the previous one. I enjoyed this enough to keep reading [which I never thought I would do after #3]. Very good read!!
Lisa Morin
Nov 21, 2016 Lisa Morin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic book in this series

I just love this series. I've become a huge fan in just a short time.
Liss is a strong, independent character who sees no harm in doing a little sleuthing.
This time it's not Liss who is in harm's way, but Dan, the man who is determined to win her love and her heart.
When a body is found during a snow storm, Sherri, Pete, Liss and Dan investigate since there is no one else to help. The snow storm has caused power outages and downed trees and no one has access to
Karen
May 03, 2011 Karen rated it it was ok
First, a big THANKS to Goodreads. I won this book in one of their giveaways.

The Corpse Wore Tartan is the fourth book in a series of cozy mysteries featuring Amaryllis Rosalie (Liss) MacCrimmon. The series is written by Kaitlyn Dunnett.

Liss is a former professional Scottish dancer who, because of a career-ending injury, has taken over her family’s “emporium” in Moosetookalook, a small, picturesque town in Maine. The series’ supporting cast includes Liss’ aunt, Margaret MacCrimmon Boyd, her high
Ashley
May 26, 2017 Ashley rated it really liked it
Hey Guys! Today I'm reviewing The Corpse Wore Tartan by Kaitlyn Dunnett. It is the fourth in the Liss MacCrimmon Scottish Mystery Series!

We start our story only a couple of days after Christmas on the night of the Burns Festival. Apparently a Scottish tradition where people drink and eat Haggis. Liss' aunt is working the event but decides to go home early when there is news of a storm. The first in a line of bad events that happens is two of the Scottish Heritage Appreciation Society are fightin
Sheilagh Lee
Mar 12, 2011 Sheilagh Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: cosy-mystery
Review: The Corpse Wore Tartan (Liss MacCrimmon Scottish Mysteries) (Hardcover)

ISBN-13:978-0-7582-3879-5

ISBN-10:0-7582-3879-7

By Kaitlyn Dunnett

Liss has started getting comfortable in a relationship with Dan the co-owner of the newly renovated hotel, The Spruces. Dan is a hard working craftsman and has used his craft to spruce up the hotel and bring it back to its former glory. Liss is working as a hotel liaison for the Scottish contingent that has come to the hotel for Robert Burn’s day celebra
Susan
Jan 11, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-maine
Liss MacCrimmon runs a Scottish heritage store in remote Moosetookalook, ME, so she's the logical person to be liaison when the Scottish Heritage Appreciation Society holds its annual Robert Burns dinner at the newly renovated local hotel. Her friend Sherri is called in when one of the guests says he's been robbed--which is lucky, because the town and hotel are hit by a ferocious snowstorm that leaves the hotel isolated from the outside world just before a body is discovered in a storage closet. ...more
Terri Gilbert
Jun 06, 2017 Terri Gilbert rated it liked it
Another dollar store find. This is an easy-read mystery with another engaging female protagonist. Also set in Maine, Liss finds herself trapped in the hotel where she's arranged a fancy dinner for a Scottish Historical group. Just as a raging blizzard hits, a murder is discovered, so Liss tries to assist the police in tracking down the killer. Nothing new, but an enjoyable read with believable characters.
Nan
May 05, 2017 Nan rated it liked it
Shelves: series, mystery-cozy
Entertaining,
Cynthiaj
Jun 10, 2017 Cynthiaj rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A nice way to pass time for a pick up at the dollar store. Reasonable plot and charachters.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Oct 13, 2011 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
I had fallen behind in reading this delicious series by Kaitlyn Dunnett. So, I ordered the book I had missed and pre-ordered her next volume. Good for me. I loved the book as I sensed I would.

The corpse did, in fact, wear it's family tartan and so the tie in to the title was perfect and from that instance to the ending, I enjoyed my reading journey. You are not overwhelmed with all things Scottish and I noticed that the Author struck a better balance between Scotland and Maine, which to my think
Marlyn
Feb 13, 2011 Marlyn rated it really liked it
Liss is helping out her aunt Margaret, the new events coordinator at The Spruces hotel, by acting as liaison to the Scottish Heritage Appreciation Society for their Robbie Burns Day dinner.

The job is definitely a challenge, as the SHAS representatives that she is dealing with (Phil MacMillan, his wife Eunice and his identical twin brother Phineas) are all exceptionally unpleasant people.

The melodrama begins when Phil complains that his clan brooch was stolen from his room, and local police off
Jul 10, 2012 Lynn rated it really liked it
Kaitlyn Dunnett has a great series that is based in a small rural town in Maine and Liss who was a professional Scottish dancer until an injury stopped her career. Liss returned home and became a business partner with her aunt running a Scottish specialty shop and life seems to be continuing in an agreeable way. She has renewed friendships with people from her youth and become a member of the small business association. What more could anyone ask for?

Well a blizzard arriving during the Burns Nig
Feb 05, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, which begins with a gathering to celebrate Robert Burns birthday at the "new" resort hotel in town, The Spruces. Liss MacCrimmon, former Scottish dancer and now owner of the town's Scottish goods store, is there as liaison to the group. What follows is a blizzard, stranding everyone at the hotel, and, of course, a murder. While I enjoyed this book, the 4th in the Liss MacCrimmon series, I must admit that there were times when her attitude in this book made me want to shake h ...more
Vickie
Jan 16, 2011 Vickie rated it it was amazing
Don't you just love this cover? Oooooo! Cozy mystery in the classic sense...everyone is trapped in a big old hotel in a snowstorm that shows no sign of letting up, communication is lost with the outside world, and there's a dead body in the basement and it's....murder.
I will be looking for the rest of this series. I didn't feel like I'd missed anything by reading the fourth in the series before any of the others. It did whet my curiosity for the next in the series as well as starting at the begi
Kyrie
Feb 18, 2016 Kyrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Men in kilts. A redone hotel with nifty rooms and hidden passages. Twins. Scots. Romance. Deceit. Snowstorms.

Okay, not so much about men in kilts beyond the usual jokes, and discussion of tartans and knives, and haggis.

Still, it was a good cozy mystery. I liked it but since I started this series in the middle (accidently - it was on a display table at my library) and know how some things turn out, I'm not sure if I'd go back and start at the beginning. It was still good as a single tale.

4-17-
Holly
Oct 09, 2015 Holly rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, meh, 2015
This takes place in Moosetookalook, Maine during a Scottish Heritage Appreciation Society Burns celebration at an recently refurbished old "grand hotel" during a snowstorm where everybody is trapped there for a few days. Our hero Liss, a young lass who sells Scottish themed gifts for a living, helps solve the crime. I pretty much solved (correctly) the mystery early on. It wasn't very hard. What attracted me to the book was the Scottish theme, but I really never got into the characters, all I ca ...more
Addison Public Library
Winters can be tough in Maine, especially in small towns like Moosetookalook. When a blizzard traps guests at a Scottish banquet at the swankiest hotel in town, Liss MacCrimmon can't help but get involved. The victim, the less obnoxious of a set of twins, was bludgeoned then had his throat slashed with a skein-dhu, a 6" knife commonly only used to cut the Haggis at Burns Suppers. While the blizzard rages outside, the guests soon realize that the killer is also trapped inside and may be getting m ...more
Michele
Jun 06, 2011 Michele rated it really liked it
This was cute, I have read previous books in the series, but seemed to drag a bit. Too many different little "side-shows" distracting from the big plot and I got to wishing they would just wrap up the case. When characters who are supposed to be annoying get too annoying that dampens the desire to stay with the story, and that happened a few times here as well.
Overall, I like the main characters and the coziness of the setting and all the scottish information.
The plot, involving twins, was a bit
Paula
Mar 22, 2012 Paula rated it liked it
This is a murder mystery set amidst the backdrop of a newly renovated historical hotel in Maine; a meeting of the Scottish Heritage Appreciation Society draws people to the hotel. And a heavy snowstorm hits, that traps everyone at the hotel- guests, staff, owners alike. And then the body is found in a little used storage room.

You will enjoy the byplay with the staff, the guests the Maine locals as they sort out the who-what-where and when of the murder. This was a light read.
Caroline
Oct 29, 2010 Caroline rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Kaitlyn Dunnett's Moosetookalook series! I love the Maine setting and, being of Scottish descent myself, I like all the Scottish stuff in these books. This is an excellent entry in the series with a group of Scottish Heritage fans getting together in Dan's father's newly opened hotel and getting snowed in with a murderer! I'm happy about the development of the characters and I'm already looking forward to the next one! Thanks, Kaitlyn!
Aug 10, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, donated
This was a good mystery, though not a great one. The "trapped in paradise" and "identical twins" plots are a bit overdone, but I thought this one was done well, even if I had the plot point and killer figured out as soon as the murder was discovered.

The story was a light, easy read and a good visit with welcome friends, just what I like in series books. It's not a heavy, serious or life changing book, but then not everything needs to be. It's just good fun.
Judy
Jun 08, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story takes place in a small town in Maine. The Scottish Heritage Appreciation Society is having an annual dinner celebration. A blizzard hits. A dead body is found and the story begins. There were some red herrings and the ending did surprise me. This looks like a fun series and you don't have to read them in order to follow the story.
Marti
The Corpse Wore Tartan is a good old-fashion who-dun-it in a trapped in a hotel in Maine during a winter storm. The characters are quirky. The story line clear and just convoluted enough so you needed to do some guessing. I did like the main characters, the setting and the story line. Liss MacCrimmon and Moosetookalook, Maine might not ever be the same.
Amanda
When everyone is trapped in Moosetookalook’s finest hotel in a snowstorm that shows no sign of letting up, with no communication with the outside world, and there's a dead body in the basement and it's....murder. Liss has to figure out who among the quarrelsome Scottish Heritage Appreciation Society has committed the murder before more bodies end up in storage...
KB
Dec 26, 2014 KB rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
I've read the first 4 books in the series in as many days... Still fun books... Still kept me guessing until the end.

However, I noticed a few editing errors (referring to a character with the incorrect surname ... a simple typo) that marred my enjoyment of the work.
Denise Louise
Jan 30, 2014 Denise Louise rated it it was ok
Pretty predictable. I had the mystery solved before the corpse was cold. This is the first of the series I've read and I don't think I'll read another. It was not terrible but not really very good either.
Kalendra Dee
Sep 14, 2014 Kalendra Dee rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Lists MacCrimmon has her hands full coordinating the Burns Night Supper for a Scottish group. When a blizzard blows in and strands the guests, things quickly spiral out of control when one of the guests is murdered.
Brenda Kirton
Jan 29, 2012 Brenda Kirton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Pretty good but the copy I had was flawed. The pages were cut so the writing was too close to the middle on a lot of pages. I'm not sure how much this influenced my impression of the book. Although I must say I figured out the particular plot device for the murderer. So not bad is about it.
Laurie
Dec 23, 2010 Laurie rated it it was ok
This was a First-Reads win and I never received the book. Disappointing.

What a surprise... I received the book today.

I hard a hard time warming up to the main characters. Perhaps you need to read this series in order.
Lizzy
Nov 18, 2010 Lizzy rated it liked it
Cozy read wrapped in tartan. Get your scones and tea. Settle in as the snow blows and try to figure who done it after enjoying a lively Burns dinner.
" If there is another world, he lives in bliss. If there is none, he made the best of this."
  • A Function of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #3)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • The Walled Flower (Victoria Square, #2)
  • Wedding Cake Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #7)
  • Hot Button (Button Box Mystery, #2)
  • Town in a Lobster Stew (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #2)
  • If Mashed Potatoes Could Dance (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery, #2)
  • The Final Voyage of the Sea Explorer
  • How to Party with a Killer Vampire (Party Planning, #4)
  • Mistletoe, Merriment, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #7)
  • A Catered Thanksgiving (A Mystery with Recipes, #7)
  • Trouble in the Tarot (A Fortune Teller Mystery #3)
  • Assaulted Pretzel (An Amish Mystery, #2)
  • Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse
  • Death of a Country Fried Redneck (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #2)
Kaitlyn Dunnett is a pseudonym used by Kathy Lynn Emerson, author of the Face Down Mysteries featuring Susanna Appleton, 16th century gentlewoman, herbalist, and sleuth, the award-winning How to Write Killer Historical Mysteries, and a wide assortment of other books.

Kathy Lynn Emerson was born in Liberty, New York and began writing as a child: a newspaper for her dolls and then a rambling adventu
More about Kaitlyn Dunnett...

A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery (10 books)
  • Kilt Dead (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery, #1)
  • Scone Cold Dead (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery, #2)
  • A Wee Christmas Homicide (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery, #3)
  • Scotched (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery, #5)
  • Bagpipes, Brides and Homicides (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery, #6)
  • Vampires, Bones and Treacle Scones (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery, #7)
  • Ho-Ho-Homicide (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery, #8)
  • The Scottie Barked At Midnight (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery, #9)
  • Kilt at the Highland Games (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery, #10)