Start by marking “Glass Houses: A Gregor Demarkian Novel” as Want to Read:
Glass Houses: A Gregor Demarkian Novel

Glass Houses: A Gregor Demarkian Novel (Gregor Demarkian #22)

For over a year, Philadelphia has been plagued by a serial killer dubbed the Plate Glass Killer by the media. But finally, the police think they've caught a break – a man has been arrested at the site of the most recent murder, covered in the victim's blood. The man taken into custody is Henry Tyder, the scion of one of the most socially prominent families on Philadelphia' ...more
Published April 17th 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Glass Houses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glass Houses

Feb 18, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time I've read this author...what I liked was the social commentary that went along with the murder mystery. Also liked the fact I could not solve the mystery ahead of time and she even left one mystery unsolved!
Apr 06, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A serial killer is striking Philadelphia; preying upon middle-aged women. When an unconventional rich man is arrested for the crime, Gregor Demarkian is called in to investigate. I thought this mystery was very well-written, with a lot of plot twists similar to Agatha Christie or other similar writers. I also thought the author had a good style, and she developed the characters well, better than in most mysteries. This is the first book I've read by this author, so I found some of the material o ...more
Pamela Mclaren
Jul 31, 2016 Pamela Mclaren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Jane Haddam has done a masterful job of creating this story. Her main character is not happy and the reason is the disappearance of Gregor Demarkian's significant other. And while he hates to admit it, he misses her more and more. The only thing to take his mind off Bennis, is to serve as a consultant when the police arrest one Henry Tyder, the scion of a prominent family but who is also usually homeless and more often than not drunk out of his mind.

It quickly becomes obvious that Henry is not g
Joyce Lagow
Apr 20, 2010 Joyce Lagow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, demarkian
No. 22 in the Gregor Demarkian series.[return][return]Haddam, who varies her plots by exploring new themes, for the first time takes on that of the serial killer. Given that it took her 22 books to get there, it s surprising, since that was Demarkian s specialty in the FBI. Nevertheless she made it with this latest.[return][return]Her last book being such a disappointment, I was more or less steeled for a repeat performance in this book. But it does appear that if Haddam stays off of her main ag ...more
Mary Jo
Mar 15, 2011 Mary Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This one really grabbed me. I like Jane Haddam, but I go up and down from book to book. Many I love (Not a Creature Was Stirring, A Stillness in Bethlehem, Hardscrabble Road, Conspiracy Theory, Somebody Else's Music, to name a few), but others just seem weird to me (Dear Old Dead, Feast of Murder, Quoth the Raven), although I have to say I've read every one. In fact, I pre-ordered this one. Because I am engaged with Gregor's process, not only in his work but in his life.

It's interesting that in
Sep 08, 2012 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Plate Glass Killer, says the police department, has been arrested at last! With blood all over him, Henry Tyder claims he did it, did them all. What a disgrace for his sisters, the fabulously wealthy remnants of a Philadelphia Founding Family. Henry lives on the streets because he can't stand his sisters, and because they won't let him have his booze. The catch is that Henry has alibis for some of the Plate Glass killings.

Gregor Demarkian, summoned to save Henry from himself, can't believe w
Kate North
I've read most (or possibly all) of the books in this series, and they are very good, solid detective stories. Some more engaging than others. I had a fair idea where this one was going to end up (and I was mostly right) but it didn't matter, as the characters were still interesting.
Dec 10, 2008 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read for a book group I'm to co-lead on Litchfield County (CT) authors. Maybe Haddam's other mysteries are better, but I wasn't impressed with this one. I did like the detective, thought him well-drawn and sympathetic, but there were far too many characters in this novel with little pay off and too much obvious (token) terrain covered: Philadelphia's African American population; its homosexual population; corrupt police force, politicians. The Armenian community was more interesting, less predic ...more
Jun 04, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great mystery---one where I didn't have a clue as to "who dun it" till the end.
Christa Kelly
This was a very hard book to get interested in. I wanted to stop reading many times, but I had to know what happened. The first 200 pages are long & difficult to become involved in. The last 100 were much easier to read.
thoroughly intriguing thriller. the ending was a surprise.
Jun 06, 2010 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Haddam hits themes of modern culture, and forces the reader to think hard about what is right, with few pat answers. This time the serial killer story brings up issues of property,wealth, chosen homelessness, and foolish assumptions about American culture by those with Right or Left blinders. Gregor Demarkian is also stuck with the puzzle of why Bennis, who has returned, went away in the first place and just what is going on with their relationship. This series gets more enjoyable wit ...more
Mar 05, 2010 Barbara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
One in a detective series about an "Armenian-American Hercule Poirot" in Philadelphia. This one is about a serial killer nicknamed the Plate Glass Killer and is well plotted, though I was able to figure out the guilty party about half way through. Although this book could stand alone, I think having read some of the earlier books in the series made for a comfort level with the cast of characters.
Sep 24, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was OK but I got a little bored but I did finish it if not want her books again
Dec 07, 2013 Kyrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Definitely one of the easier to follow stories. I like it when I can keep the characters sorted out.
Also, I liked it because it took me quite a while to figure out who did what.

The back story with Bennis and Gregor finally made some sense!

Also, the recurring parts with Phillipa Lydgate provided some irritation and comic relief.
Lorin Cary
Sep 08, 2009 Lorin Cary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The review I wrote disappeared from Shelfari, and seemingly from here as well. I liked the book, and was pleased to come across another series of novels featured the same character---in this instance a former FBI profiler of Armenian descent. Interesting plot, characters and development. Good book.
Sep 07, 2009 Alline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I keep reading these because I want to know what happens with Bennis, and the priest who has books stacked absolutely everywhere, and the street they live on, even if I can't remember it right now. However, they mystery parts of the book are contrived and kind of dumb..
Meg Benjamin
Feb 07, 2013 Meg Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane Haddam is a master--no two ways about it. This starts as a serial killer novel and then becomes something else. As usual it's intricate and requires close reading to figure out. And the end may actually challenge your definition of what a serial killer is.
May 14, 2008 Kristine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It's been a while since I have read a Gregor Demarkian mystery and I have no idea why I stayed away so long. The characters are complex and interesting as ever. A mystery that kept me guessing to the end and I bet it will keep you guessing too!
Mary Newcomb
It seems that Philadelphia is in the grip of a serial killer. Then Gregor Demarkian is called in and things are not exactly as they seem. I was especially fascinated by how the case was being investigated prior to his involvement.
I was not familiar with this series. It was very convoluted and the resolution was unbelievable, but it was set in Philadelphia and the investigator was an Armenian-American so that was different. Just your basic serial-killer mystery.
Oct 22, 2014 Jodi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The story relating to the serial killer was interesting, the other stories and plot lines sprinkled throughout were not.
Apr 07, 2008 Sallie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This was also at my local library, and even though there are a couple of Demarkian mysteries between the last I read and this title, I picked it up to read anyway. Can't do all series in exact order after all..

Apr 18, 2008 Mascanlon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers
I have enjoyed this series for many years and always look forward to a new mystery. This is no exception. Solid story, good writing and new line on Gregor's personal life....contented sigh.
Oct 03, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery. The main detective in this novel is Gregor Demarkian, an Armenian. The Armenian community, as depited in here is fascinating, lovable and I want to belong to it.
Vi Bauhs
Jul 18, 2008 Vi Bauhs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Jane Haddam's books. She really gets into her characters and the mysteries are always good ones.
Feb 20, 2008 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gregor Demarkian is a retired FBI officer who lives in an Armenian neighborhood in Philladelpha.
Sep 25, 2010 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, series
I usually like this series, but this plot is overly complex, without any accompanying rewards.
Holly Lu
Nov 23, 2012 Holly Lu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
well-thought out & nicely convoluted--haddam can create very authentically despicable characters.
Anita Lawson
Timely plot, but Gregor Demarkian and the cast of characters are an acquired taste.
  • Wet Grave (Benjamin January, #6)
  • A Dog About Town
  • The Puzzled Heart (A Kate Fansler Mystery #12)
  • The Rosary Murders (Father Koesler, #1)
  • Scots on the Rocks (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #23)
  • Slow Dollar (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #9)
  • The Catherine Wheel (Miss Silver, #15)
  • Thistle and Twigg (Thistle & Twigg Mystery, #1)
  • Mum's the Word (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #3)
  • Spanish Dagger (China Bayles, #15)
  • The Orkney Scroll (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #10)
  • All Mortal Flesh (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #5)
  • Letter From Home
  • Thomas and the Jet Engine (Thomas & Friends: Step Into Reading)
  • Habeas Porpoise
  • Lovely in Her Bones (Elizabeth MacPherson, #2)
  • A Cold-Blooded Business (Kate Shugak, #4)
  • The Dante Game (Homer Kelly, #8)
Aka Orania Papazoglou

Jane Haddam (b. 1951) is an American author of mysteries. Born Orania Papazoglou, she worked as a college professor and magazine editor before publishing her Edgar Award–nominated first novel, Sweet, Savage Death, in 1984. This mystery introduced Patience McKenna, a sleuthing scribe who would go on to appear in four more books, including Wicked, Loving Murder (1985) and Rich,
More about Jane Haddam...

Gregor Demarkian (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Not a Creature was Stirring (Gregor Demarkian, #1)
  • Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #2)
  • Act of Darkness (Gregor Demarkian, #3)
  • Quoth the Raven (Gregor Demarkian, #4)
  • A Great Day for the Deadly (Gregor Demarkian, #5)
  • Feast of Murder (Gregor Demarkian, #6)
  • A Stillness in Bethlehem (Gregor Demarkian, #7)
  • Murder Superior (Gregor Demarkian, #8)
  • Dear Old Dead (Gregor Demarkian, #9)
  • Festival of Deaths (Gregor Demarkian, #10)