Start by marking “Three Plays by Aristophanes: Staging Women” as Want to Read:
Three Plays by Aristophanes: Staging Women

Three Plays by Aristophanes: Staging Women

These three plays by the great comic playwright Aristophanes (c. 446-386 BCE), the well-known Lysistrata, and the less familiar Women at the Thesmophoria and Assemblywomen, are the earliest surviving portrayals of contemporary women in the European literary tradition. These plays provide a unique glimpse of women not only in their familiar domestic roles but also in relati ...more
Published April 2nd 2010 by Routledge (first published -391)

To ask other readers questions about Three Plays by Aristophanes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Plays by Aristophanes

Abbie
Sep 07, 2008 Abbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that I didn't just whip this off the shelf, thinking, "Boy, it's been a long time since I read any good Attic comedy... ooh, and here's a new translation."

No, this was assigned reading for one of my few college courses that had no equations. These three plays of Aristophanes all prominently feature women. "Lysistrata" deals with a sexual strike coordinated by the women of Athens and Sparta to make their men forge a peace treaty and end the war. "Women at the Thesmophoria" is abou
Carol
OK, I rated this for the translator (Jeffrey Henderson), not the plays. And I only read a little bit of Lysistrata before deciding that this version is not for me. I had previously read the play as translated by Benjamin Brinkley Rogers, and was looking forward to reading it again. But I'm not even going to finish the prologue, let alone the entire play. and never mind the other plays.

Now, maybe I'm just a grumpy old woman. And maybe this translation is true to the rowdy approach of the original
Katie Pagan
Oct 28, 2011 Katie Pagan rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing. As much as it's been said, Lysistrata is an absolute must-read. It's hilarious in a bawdy, sometimes rated-R , way. Of course that's a good thing (especially the scene between Myrrhine and her husband)! What's more, the issues raised are actually kind of relevant and provoking. What if women actually did go on a massive sex strike? Incidentally, it's still happening...and it works! Follow the link below to see what I mean.
Sammi
Oct 02, 2012 Sammi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-school
Marc
Feb 28, 2013 Marc rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-greece
Women strike: beautiful theme, wonderfully and very realistically worked out, particularly vile language. Quite amusing, but weak ending.
Women's Party: dark, complex and inimitable piece full of references to pieces of Euripides; not enjoyable.
Women politics: fresh and funny piece, strongly similar to Women Strik, but weakening towards the end. Notable satire on aspects of the democratic system: the chitchat-retoric, the people just attend the meetings to gather their fees, etc.
Bonnie
Done with this for now, although I plan to come back to it and read introductions and the closing fragments. Lysistrata, Assemblywomen, and Women at the Thesmophoria for a Woman in Antiquity class--Aristophanes is so much better than Lysistrata gives him credit for. I now have, at least, some blossoming interest in comedy.
Loretta Rivera
Oct 02, 2015 Loretta Rivera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fuck yeah greek feminists
Amanda
Oct 07, 2014 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-school
I read Lysistrata from this book, for my Greece and Gender class.
Alex Milani
Alex Milani rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2010
Rachaelita
Rachaelita rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2008
Libby Stephenson
Libby Stephenson rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2013
Julia Specht!
Julia Specht! rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2014
Kai Huotari
Kai Huotari rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2012
Hari Patel
Hari Patel rated it really liked it
May 23, 2014
Talos
Talos rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2014
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2012
Cassidy
Cassidy rated it liked it
May 25, 2011
Ravi
Ravi rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Greyor
Greyor rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2007
Seth Woodley
Seth Woodley rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Ioannis Triantafillou
Ioannis Triantafillou rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Kristin Walker
Kristin Walker rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2009
mbramblett2000
mbramblett2000 rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Levi
Levi rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2016
Jenna
Jenna rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Josh Kremer
Josh Kremer rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Eveliene
Eveliene rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Lauren Burke
Lauren Burke rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Aristophanes (Greek: Αριστοφάνης; c. 446 BCE – c. 386 BCE) was a playwright of ancient Athens.

About 11 of his works are known in full, and they are the only plays of the "Old Comedy" style to have survived. They are The Acharnians, The Birds, The Clouds, The Ecclesiazusae, The Frogs, The Knights, Peace, Plutus (Wealth), The Thesmophoriazusae, and The Wasps. These plays have been translated into m
More about Aristophanes...