Time You Let Me In: 25 Poets under 25

Time You Let Me In: 25 Poets under 25

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  40 reviews
They are inspiring talented stunning remarkable wise

They are also fearless depressed hilarious impatient in love out of love pissed off

And they want you to let them in.
Published February 23rd 2010 by Greenwillow Books

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsWill Grayson, Will Grayson by John GreenBefore I Fall by Lauren OliverThe Last Summer of the Death Warriors by Francisco X. StorkFinnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta
Printz 2011
29th out of 33 books — 46 voters
Before I Fall by Lauren OliverThe Sky is Everywhere by Jandy NelsonMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsWill Grayson, Will Grayson by John GreenRevolution by Jennifer Donnelly
Mock Printz 2011
55th out of 61 books — 157 voters

More lists with this book...

Robyn
Some poems were wonderful and would make me laugh out loud or cause my eyes to water or make me appreciate, again, how much I love cultural diversity. Some poems made me skip lines or quickly turn the page. But that seems to be the way with all poetry books.

My favorites:
As far back as I can remember, by Jonah Ogles
kitchen witness, by Emma Shaw Crane
Liv...more
paula
Yes poetry. I don't like poetry but yes to this:

...even when
the words grace me with their presence,
they don't always choose to step
delicately into the world, pink shoes
treading softly over the white horizon.
usually poetry slops lazily over the couch
of a page and dangles while I remove its muddy
shoes and rearrange the pillows, all the while
muttering something about Frost and how maybe
his comments against free verse were right
all along (poetry in rhyme always cleans up
after itself) although hone...more
Michael Young
Genre: Poetry, Young Adult

Rating: ***
The poetry included in this collection captures true perspectives of young adults. From insights related to loss and grief to love and relationships, the poetry included in this collection is beautifully written and organized.

Summary:
This compilation of poetry from 26 (not 25) young authors shares varying voices, perspectives and insights from young writers. The central theme of the poetry focuses on the perspective of the young adult. The insights and storie...more
Darien
Darien Munden
Poetry

This particular compilation of poems, hand selected by Naomi Shihab Nye,are all poems written by young adult poets. As the title suggests all of the poetry in this compilation was written when the poets were all under twenty-five years old. Most of the poetry is based on actual first-hand experiences the poets have had. Some of the poems are humorous, like "Death and Taxes," by Lauren Espinoza, others are a bit sad, even depressing, like "Protons," by Nicole Guenther. No matte...more
Maggie
Overall, this collection was disappointingly homogenous to me, both stylistically and in terms of the poets it included. This isn't representative of what poets under 25 are doing. There were a few excellent poems, but they were buried beneath many that read simply like undergrad workshop poems--not a lot of risks, but a lot of grandma poems. I don't think Nye did a particularly good job as editor, either. The order of the poems didn't add anything to the collection, and many of the contributors...more
sara frances
here are two of my favorites:

Living with a Bodhisattva Cat is Intimidating

The Bodhisattva Cat is, of course, vegan:
He will not eat the inexpensive dry food
I fed my last cat, who was unenlightened.

He is morally opposed to hunting,
compassionately watches moles skitter
across the basement floor.

The Bodhisattava Cat meditates for up to eighteen hours
a day,
gives impromptu dharma talks to squirrels perched
on the bird feeder outside my kitchen window.

The Bodhisattva Cat has boycotted the 2008 Olympics
i...more
Chris
A really nice mix of voices and styles. As with any mix, I liked some more than others, but each was good in its own way. One of my favorites, by Laura Lee Beasley:

Nothing

Even when we were young it rested beneath
the floorboards, stirring at the sounds of footsteps.
We crawled to feed it pennies and Cheerios
through the slits of an air-conditioning vent.
And there were other places we found it too.
At the pier on Saint Simon's Island,
covered with sunlight and the smell of fish guts,
it shifted beneath...more
Sue
A collection of poetry by writers under 25, on topics ranging from love to war and loss. I haven't read poetry in a while, so this was a welcome change. However, I think only about a dozen poems really stood out for me...the rest were just okay. Some of my favorites were:

"Invitation" by Mackenzie Connellee
"The Indexer in Love" by Gray Emerson
"Kitchen Witness" by Emma Shaw Crane
"Even Before You" by Allison Rivers

And "Rain, Snow, and Other Weather" by Lauren Stacks (below):

I'm like the weather, ne...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by LadyJay for TeensReadToo.com

Naomi Shihab Nye has been writing poetry for a long time. An excellent poet in her own right, it seems only fitting that Nye should choose twenty-five poets and compile their writings into a single volume.

All of these aspiring authors are under the age of twenty-five. Their poems speak of many things - love, loss, culture, war, belonging, and being remembered.

Each author possesses his/her own unique style and flow. Their offerings range from free verse ran...more
Erica
Apr 24, 2012 Erica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 10+
Shelves: teen-poetry
It took me a while to get through this... Time You Let Me In will be inspiring to aspiring poets and dreamers because they will find that they can express themselves at least as effectively as the young adult poets included in this collection. Time You Let Me In featured some real gems. My personal favorites: "Finding Our Flag" by Ben Westlie, "Evolution of a Writer" by Lauren Stacks, and...
Henry the Horse by Henry Mills
I feel like a horse
with a cone tied to its forehead,
talking to a unicorn.
Som...more
Stacy
Not being a great fan of poetry, I only purchased this book via Amazon when faced with planning curriculum for my creative writing class. My students usually have to read the dead white male poets for their English classes, and I figured I would stick to young poets that have a better chance of engaging 14-18 year olds. Fortunately I made a great choice, for my students have been enjoying the poems, and we have a blast analyzing them together. The editor very carefully found exemplary American p...more
Starkville Public Library Young Adult Section
A collection of poetry 25 poets under 25, Time You Let Me In is full of honest, beautiful poetry. Each poet has his or her own style and flow, his or her own set of experiences that lend shape and power to their words.
Naomi Shihab Nye, a marvelous poet in her own right, has selected a fabulous collection in this book. She says, "In school I was good with words and bad with numbers--that's why there are 26 poets in this book, not 25. I loved them all and could hardly omit anyone after writing all...more
John
Some poems work better than others but overall it is a beautiful collection.

These are my favorites:

"To Answer Your Questions, reportback Beirut by Emma Shaw Crane
"Foundling" by Matthew Baker
"Ode to Poetry" by M...more
Rebecca Johnson
This is a very sweet, lovely collection of poetry. The diversity in the collection is vast; however, as different as each poet and their small sample is, they are each eloquent and beautiful. I was moved and read this book as quickly as I could because I just couldn't wait to read the next poet's sample. My 2 favorites were: Gray Emerson and Tala Abu Rahmeh. Their words were wonderful and poignant. The images were etched on the pages. I just loved this book. It will be added to my permanent rota...more
Adrienne

Twenty-six poets under the age of twenty-five share poems on a variety of topics, from family to war to weather. Written in free verse, this collection is raw and emotional while simultaneously being polished and truly poetic.

While not a true poetry fan, I appreciated the skillful mastery of the poets who contributed to this collection. Even with seemingly mundane topics, they used just the right wording and rhythm to invite readers into their lives.
Erin mcgill
Audience: This book could be read by young adults from 3rd grade all the way to adults. This book would be ideal for anyone who loves to red or write poetry.
Appeal: This book is somewhat inspiring. It is a collection of poems written by young writers. The younger generations can find this collection of poems easy to relate to emotionally and adults can admire its elegance of words and how they fall onto the paige effortlessly.

Award: Best Books 2010 Non- Fiction
Sara
Every single poet in this book is unique, perceptive, and inspirational. Some of the poems had me nodding my head like "Yeah, I definitely know what you're talking about." Some of them made me laugh out loud. And some of them broke my heart. My favorites include: "invitation" by Mackenzie Connellee, "A Lesson on Fire" by Catherine Bates, "kitchen witness" by Emma Shaw Crane, "Upon Arrival" by Tala Abu Rahmeh, and "ode to poetry" by Matthew Baker.
Anna Francesca
There were some wonderful poems in this anthology, and I liked how many free-form verses had a fresh and insightful feel. My rating is on the low side, though, due to me feeling that the book, overall, didn't hold my attention. I would like more of a through line or organization to the collection to make it feel more cohesive. So, I suppose you could say I thought the writing and selection were done very well but that the editorial ties are lacking.
Katie Herring
I really liked some of these; but in general I liked some stanzas more than the whole poem.

The one and only poem that I thoroughly enjoyed was the "Plain Stories: Chronology of a Cotton Farmer" by Brianne Carpenter, all four parts.

The majority of the poems I skipped over because I didn't find them interesting.

My favorite part, other than a few quotes, were the short bios in the back of the collection.
Andrea
These poems varied widely to me. Some were depressing, some were sweet, some were romantic, however all of them had a certain uncomparable depth to them. Nye did a spectacular job in picking the workings of these poets to display. My favorites were "Fourth or Fifth Love" by Mary Selph and "Photons" by Nicole Guenther. Overall, this was an easy and enjoyable read.
McKenzie
Poems from 26 (yes, 26) poets all under 25. I enjoyed a lot of these, though I was lost as to what a lot of them were about. That's probably just because I'm terribly with poetry. Many were creative, while others focused on intense subjects. I recommend it to mature audiences, as I think they'll be best understood by older ages.
Donna
This is an interesting if not super memorable poetry anthology. There are actually 26 poets included in the collection. Some of the poems are better than others, but after finishing it they all blur together in my mind. There were a lot of poems about childhood memories, death of family members, failed romance and war.
Meg
I got this as a gift for winning the Wake County Public Libraries Poetry Contest last year, and I really enjoyed the poems in this collection. Some are more thought-provoking, and others more mature, but I really enjoyed almost all of them in this collection!! Great to curl up with on rainy days!! :P

--Meg
Amanda Rambaran
This Book fell off the shelf at my library years ago in a section I dont frequent, And it has haunted me ever since. In this collection of poems lies my all time favorite poem, and so many other poems that have kept me awake at night. I was beyond reluctant to return this book. I found something new on every page.
Stefani
I HATED this book. Not my type of poetry at all and I ended up skimming it because I couldn't stand most of it. I think there were two poems that I marked to refer back to with my students but that was it. Wish I hadn't spent the money on it :/
Drew
A collection of young poets, chosen and introduced by Naomi Shihab Nye (one of my favorite poets). A few writers stand out, and I hope to see how they mature and grow, namely Catherine Bates and Emma Shaw Crane.
Jill
This is a poetry anthology, and it is exceptionally well done. The poets are under 25, and their subjects and voices are unique. The editing was excellent. I could hardly put it down, and it's a poetry book! ;)
Rll520a_gaylehassan
As the title states, this book is comprised of poems written by 25 poets who are under the age of 25. There is no one theme or subject. The poems are as diverse as their writers.
Embrc
Here's another book from last fall that has been unearthed! A collection of poems by authors under the age of 25. A good choice for teens (grades 9 & up) who like poetry. AM
  • Borrowed Names: Poems About Laura Ingalls Wilder, Madam C.J. Walker, Marie Curie, and Their Daughters
  • Poetrees
  • You Don't Even Know Me: Stories and Poems About Boys
  • Poetry Speaks Who I Am with CD: Poems of Discovery, Inspiration, Independence, and Everything Else (A Poetry Speaks Experience)
  • In the Wild
  • Ubiquitous: Celebrating Nature's Survivors
  • I Lay My Stitches Down: Poems of American Slavery
  • Roots and Blues: A Celebration
  • You Hear Me?: Poems and Writing by Teenage Boys
Naomi Shihab Nye was born to a Palestinian father and an American mother. During her high school years, she lived in Ramallah in Jordan, the Old City in Jerusalem, and San Antonio, Texas, where she later received her B.A. in English and world religions from Trinity University. She is a novelist, poet and songwriter.

She currently lives in San Antonio, Texas. She was elected a Chancellor of the Acad...more
More about Naomi Shihab Nye...
Habibi Words Under the Words: Selected Poems 19 Varieties of Gazelle: Poems of the Middle East Fuel Honeybee: Poems & Short Prose

“Let me peer out at the world
through your lens. (Maybe I'll shudder,
or gasp, or tilt my head in a question.)
Let me see how your blue
is my turquoise and my orange
is your gold. Suddenly binary
stars, we have startling
gravity. Let's compare
scintillation - let's share
starlight.”
23 likes
“maybe we try too hard to be remembered, waking to the glowing yellow disc in ignorance, swearing that today will be the day, today we will make

something of our lives. what if we are so busy searching for worth that we miss the sapphire sky and cackling blackbird. what else is missing?

maybe our steps are too straight and our paths too narrow and not overlapping. maybe when they overlap someone in another country lights a candle, a couple

resolves their argument, a young man puts down his silver gun and walks away.”
21 likes