Start by marking “Time You Let Me In: 25 Poets under 25” as Want to Read:
Time You Let Me In: 25 Poets under 25

Time You Let Me In: 25 Poets under 25

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  212 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
They are inspiring talented stunning remarkable wise

They are also fearless depressed hilarious impatient in love out of love pissed off

And they want you to let them in.
Published February 23rd 2010 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Time You Let Me In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time You Let Me In

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsWill Grayson, Will Grayson by John GreenBefore I Fall by Lauren OliverFinnikin of the Rock by Melina MarchettaShip Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi
Printz 2011
29th out of 33 books — 42 voters
Before I Fall by Lauren OliverThe Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy NelsonMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsWill Grayson, Will Grayson by John GreenRevolution by Jennifer Donnelly
Mock Printz 2011
55th out of 61 books — 161 voters

More lists with this book...

Cait
Apr 13, 2016 Cait rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There's some straight up gut wrenching stuff in here and it's magnificent. I was fairly sure this would be a 4 star but then I got to Emma Shaw Crane's section and it immediately became 5. By far the best collection of poetry I've found yet.
Robyn
Some poems were wonderful and would make me laugh out loud or cause my eyes to water or make me appreciate, again, how much I love cultural diversity. Some poems made me skip lines or quickly turn the page. But that seems to be the way with all poetry books.

My favorites:
Liv
paula
Mar 23, 2010 paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, poetry
Yes poetry. I don't like poetry but yes to this:

...even when
the words grace me with their presence,
they don't always choose to step
delicately into the world, pink shoes
treading softly over the white horizon.
usually poetry slops lazily over the couch
of a page and dangles while I remove its muddy
shoes and rearrange the pillows, all the while
muttering something about Frost and how maybe
his comments against free verse were right
all along (poetry in rhyme always cleans up
after itself) although hone
Michael Young
Genre: Poetry, Young Adult

Rating: ***
The poetry included in this collection captures true perspectives of young adults. From insights related to loss and grief to love and relationships, the poetry included in this collection is beautifully written and organized.

Summary:
This compilation of poetry from 26 (not 25) young authors shares varying voices, perspectives and insights from young writers. The central theme of the poetry focuses on the perspective of the young adult. The insights and storie
Darien
May 06, 2012 Darien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darien Munden
Poetry

This particular compilation of poems, hand selected by Naomi Shihab Nye,are all poems written by young adult poets. As the title suggests all of the poetry in this compilation was written when the poets were all under twenty-five years old. Most of the poetry is based on actual first-hand experiences the poets have had. Some of the poems are humorous, like "Death and Taxes," by Lauren Espinoza, others are a bit sad, even depressing, like "Protons," by Nicole Guenther. No matte
Maggie
May 03, 2011 Maggie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, read-in-11
Overall, this collection was disappointingly homogenous to me, both stylistically and in terms of the poets it included. This isn't representative of what poets under 25 are doing. There were a few excellent poems, but they were buried beneath many that read simply like undergrad workshop poems--not a lot of risks, but a lot of grandma poems. I don't think Nye did a particularly good job as editor, either. The order of the poems didn't add anything to the collection, and many of the contributors ...more
Rocio Martin
KIRKUS REVIEW (Posted by Kirkus – (kirkusreviews.com) - A selection of the work of 26 (not 25) young poets makes up this varied collection, musing on topics from personal identity to the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Nye's introduction artfully sets a tone that encourages readers to remember the experience of being under 25-it is humming and evocative, but an odd choice for a volume at least ostensibly intended for teen readers. The poets employ a range of styles and write in drastically diffe ...more
Kimberly
Kirkus Review: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...

A selection of the work of 26 (not 25) young poets makes up this varied collection, musing on topics from personal identity to the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Nye’s introduction artfully sets a tone that encourages readers to remember the experience of being under 25—it is humming and evocative, but an odd choice for a volume at least ostensibly intended for teen readers. The poets employ a range of styles and write in drastically differ
McKenzie
May 30, 2016 McKenzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This compilation of poems is heartfelt, sad, and truthful. With a mixture of different poems under the age of 25, we find that many are pertaining to tales of our youth. The meaning behind growing up, the darkness and evil within the world, the beauty of our world around us, and even questioning a higher power. Our lives from an early age are full of questions and learning to understand; some stories are more tragic than others with references to abuse and discrimination, but all of these things ...more
sara frances
Jun 20, 2011 sara frances rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
here are two of my favorites:

Living with a Bodhisattva Cat is Intimidating

The Bodhisattva Cat is, of course, vegan:
He will not eat the inexpensive dry food
I fed my last cat, who was unenlightened.

He is morally opposed to hunting,
compassionately watches moles skitter
across the basement floor.

The Bodhisattava Cat meditates for up to eighteen hours
a day,
gives impromptu dharma talks to squirrels perched
on the bird feeder outside my kitchen window.

The Bodhisattva Cat has boycotted the 2008 Olympics
i
Chris
May 02, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, adult, not-graphic, poetry
A really nice mix of voices and styles. As with any mix, I liked some more than others, but each was good in its own way. One of my favorites, by Laura Lee Beasley:

Nothing

Even when we were young it rested beneath
the floorboards, stirring at the sounds of footsteps.
We crawled to feed it pennies and Cheerios
through the slits of an air-conditioning vent.
And there were other places we found it too.
At the pier on Saint Simon's Island,
covered with sunlight and the smell of fish guts,
it shifted beneath
Julie
Jun 11, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent collection of poetry especially for those who aren't sure they like poetry. So if you're curious and want to stick your toe in; but thanks to High School you equate poetry with death and dying, this would be a good choice to read. Published in 2010, the poems strike a more relevant tone than the stale classics. And the 25 poets chosen are diverse in ethnicity, experiences, and voice. This is poetry with youthful energy. Would definitely recommend.
Sue
A collection of poetry by writers under 25, on topics ranging from love to war and loss. I haven't read poetry in a while, so this was a welcome change. However, I think only about a dozen poems really stood out for me...the rest were just okay. Some of my favorites were:

"Invitation" by Mackenzie Connellee
"The Indexer in Love" by Gray Emerson
"Kitchen Witness" by Emma Shaw Crane
"Even Before You" by Allison Rivers

And "Rain, Snow, and Other Weather" by Lauren Stacks (below):

I'm like the weather, ne
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by LadyJay for TeensReadToo.com

Naomi Shihab Nye has been writing poetry for a long time. An excellent poet in her own right, it seems only fitting that Nye should choose twenty-five poets and compile their writings into a single volume.

All of these aspiring authors are under the age of twenty-five. Their poems speak of many things - love, loss, culture, war, belonging, and being remembered.

Each author possesses his/her own unique style and flow. Their offerings range from free verse ran
Erica
Apr 24, 2012 Erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 10+
Shelves: teen-poetry
It took me a while to get through this... Time You Let Me In will be inspiring to aspiring poets and dreamers because they will find that they can express themselves at least as effectively as the young adult poets included in this collection. Time You Let Me In featured some real gems. My personal favorites: "Finding Our Flag" by Ben Westlie, "Evolution of a Writer" by Lauren Stacks, and...
Henry the Horse by Henry Mills
I feel like a horse
with a cone tied to its forehead,
talking to a unicorn.
Som
Stacy
Dec 28, 2012 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not being a great fan of poetry, I only purchased this book via Amazon when faced with planning curriculum for my creative writing class. My students usually have to read the dead white male poets for their English classes, and I figured I would stick to young poets that have a better chance of engaging 14-18 year olds. Fortunately I made a great choice, for my students have been enjoying the poems, and we have a blast analyzing them together. The editor very carefully found exemplary American p ...more
Sharon
Jan 06, 2015 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A somewhat uneven collection, the best pieces are the ones that are the most brutal and heartbreaking, the rest are relatively safe nd formulaic. Still, worth the read nd have bookmarked a few to go back to as one does with poetry.
Hannah
Aug 29, 2015 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As so often happens with anthologies, some were great (ie, Gray Emerson) while others were less enjoyable. Poems of immigration, parents, and identity predominate.
Lyndee
Aug 13, 2015 Lyndee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book full of some of the most beautiful, raw and brutally honest contemporary poetry I have ever read,! I would recommend this book to both poetry and non poetry fans! A wonderful read!
Dolores
Mar 12, 2016 Dolores rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A somewhat uneven gathering. Most of the poets were very good, a few were amazing, and a couple were just okay. Overall, this was a very impressive book.
Caroline
Feb 23, 2016 Caroline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I'd never read a book completely composed of poetry before reading this. It was a pleasant experience, but I may look for something more complex next time.
JJT
Feb 25, 2015 JJT rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a book with lots of kind of poems that described a story, it's a really good book. ^_^
Robynn
Jan 25, 2016 Robynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I heard Nye speak and am now reading this collection she gathered that our library owns.
Kim
Dec 20, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
25 Young Poets, collected by Naomi S. Nye
John
Apr 03, 2010 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, poetry
Some poems work better than others but overall it is a beautiful collection.

These are my favorites:

"Ode to Poetry" by M
Rada
Jun 08, 2016 Rada rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
My favorite poet was Matthew Baker and his poems founding and ode to poetry.
Erica Turner
Apr 21, 2014 Erica Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ecxvellemt trsd!!
Rebecca Johnson
Jul 31, 2011 Rebecca Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very sweet, lovely collection of poetry. The diversity in the collection is vast; however, as different as each poet and their small sample is, they are each eloquent and beautiful. I was moved and read this book as quickly as I could because I just couldn't wait to read the next poet's sample. My 2 favorites were: Gray Emerson and Tala Abu Rahmeh. Their words were wonderful and poignant. The images were etched on the pages. I just loved this book. It will be added to my permanent rota ...more
Adrienne
May 25, 2016 Adrienne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen

Twenty-six poets under the age of twenty-five share poems on a variety of topics, from family to war to weather. Written in free verse, this collection is raw and emotional while simultaneously being polished and truly poetic.

While not a true poetry fan, I appreciated the skillful mastery of the poets who contributed to this collection. Even with seemingly mundane topics, they used just the right wording and rhythm to invite readers into their lives.
Erin mcgill
Jun 28, 2012 Erin mcgill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audience: This book could be read by young adults from 3rd grade all the way to adults. This book would be ideal for anyone who loves to red or write poetry.
Appeal: This book is somewhat inspiring. It is a collection of poems written by young writers. The younger generations can find this collection of poems easy to relate to emotionally and adults can admire its elegance of words and how they fall onto the paige effortlessly.

Award: Best Books 2010 Non- Fiction
  • In the Wild
  • Poetrees
  • A Whiff of Pine, a Hint of Skunk: A Forest of Poems
  • Requiem: Poems of the Terezin Ghetto
  • You Don't Even Know Me: Stories and Poems About Boys
  • Borrowed Names: Poems About Laura Ingalls Wilder, Madam C.J. Walker, Marie Curie, and Their Daughters
  • Poetry Speaks Who I Am with CD: Poems of Discovery, Inspiration, Independence, and Everything Else (A Poetry Speaks Experience)
  • Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in Classic Poems
  • A Suitcase of Seaweed and Other Poems
  • Roots and Blues: A Celebration
  • The Tree That Time Built: A Celebration of Nature, Science, and Imagination (A Poetry Speaks Experience)
  • Sweethearts of Rhythm
  • Orangutan Tongs: Poems to Tangle Your Tongue
  • A Fire in My Hands
  • I Lay My Stitches Down: Poems of American Slavery
  • Cool Salsa: Bilingual Poems on Growing Up Latino in the United States
  • The Tofu Quilt
  • Ubiquitous: Celebrating Nature's Survivors
Naomi Shihab Nye was born to a Palestinian father and an American mother. During her high school years, she lived in Ramallah in Jordan, the Old City in Jerusalem, and San Antonio, Texas, where she later received her B.A. in English and world religions from Trinity University. She is a novelist, poet and songwriter.

She currently lives in San Antonio, Texas. She was elected a Chancellor of the Acad
More about Naomi Shihab Nye...

“Getting over what you did to me is not why I get out of bed anymore.” 32 likes
“Let me peer out at the world
through your lens. (Maybe I'll shudder,
or gasp, or tilt my head in a question.)
Let me see how your blue
is my turquoise and my orange
is your gold. Suddenly binary