Start by marking “de Bono's Thinking Course” as Want to Read:
de Bono's Thinking Course

de Bono's Thinking Course

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  28 reviews
In this practical guide, Edward de Bono lays out some simple but powerful tools with which we can optimise our thinking, decision making and problem solving. Most of the errors of thinking are errors of perception and that is precisely where these tools help.
Paperback, New edition, 159 pages
Published December 1st 2006 by BBC (first published June 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about de Bono's Thinking Course, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about de Bono's Thinking Course

Lubna
Edward De Bono is regarded as the father of ‘lateral thinking’. He first invented this term ‘lateral thinking’ way back in 1967. Today this term finds a place in the Oxford English Dictionary.

What exactly is lateral thinking? On his official website the author states: “You cannot dig a hole in a different place by digging the same hole deeper”. This means that trying harder in the same direction may not be as useful as changing direction. Effort in the same direction (approach) will not necessar
Rich
"Edward de Bono is considered by many to be the leading authority in the world on the direct teaching of thinking as a skill." Few will argue against the fact that de Bono is a pioneer of "thinking about thinking," as very rarely can you progress through a nexus of learning without acknowledging his vast contributions.

The best part of this text, which was required reading for my graduate degree, is how he gives the reader a glimpse into how their mind's eye truly works. However, with that being
Barrett
Aug 26, 2008 Barrett marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
recommended by Stefan Sagmeister. 'nuff said.
Vadim
One of the things I like about De Bono's books is that they are very practical oriented. He's not only talking about thinking in general, he's digging in deep. Mostly what you'll find in this books are techniques on how to improve your thinking process and decision making, no bla-bla.
Rik
Mar 10, 2012 Rik rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rik by: Nicki
For me it is a novel idea that you can be taught how to think, but having read this book I now agree with the authors main point. I read this as a library book, but I think to get the best out of it I would need to own a copy, and deliberately go over the material repeatedly, to make better thinking a natural part of my life. Some of the authors examples seemed a little biased, especially where he says that God cannot have a sense of humour as he already knows the punchline. Some things are funn ...more
sara
I read this book because, print designer, Stefan Sagmeister recommended it in a Q&A—De Bono's 'Thinking Course' shows many exercises on how you can improve your thinking. The brain, by necessity is very good at thinking automatically. But when it comes to creative ideas, the brain also wants to think in repetition. So DeBono shows you some ways to trick the brain out of thinking in repetitions, to throw it out of its regular paths. I think ALL designers (or anyone) should read this book. DeB ...more
Dave
A nice summation of all his other work, less the Six Hats technique.
Tisaranavamsa
Edward De Bono has written many books and each book has something special to each of them. This book could be considered as a concise version of everything what De Bono has taught over several years in several books. It's concise so it could feel truncated as well. I liked it but I wonder how an absolute beginner to De Bono's work would find it. It should have been a bit more comprehensive in case of exercises in after each chapter.
David
how about instead of thinking like a wanna be wisecrack..how about just be, I mean, just be a person who is willing to dwell on finding out the truth..go to the library, go on to a subject, focus and focus and find out more about certain subjects both sides of the coin...but finding out the truth, one sees better at 360 degrees..no particular extra power or perceptions needed..
Nicki
This is definitely a book that you need to sit down and mull over and do all the exercises to get anything out of it. I did a few with my husband and let him carry on reading it himself. You do have to persevere with it as its not a a light flick through book.
Trever
Book deals with thinking such as creative thinking and lateral thinking. The book doesn't go in to much detail about how to apply CoRT and Lateral thinking into education. Quick read, but doesn't give research to back... mostly just general knowledge type learning.
Palsay
saat berkunjung ke rumah di kampung, tak sengaja menemukan buku ini. Sering dengar bukunya, ga nyangka ternyata kakak pernah punya...hihihi..
*lengkap dengan bau lembap dan titik-titik hitam jamur di beberapa halamannya...hiiiyyh..*
Gerald Berke
One of the books I read on and off... too much to absorb, certainly too much to remember and spew forth, the kind of book that reminds and instructs anew.
It's about thinking, how do to it, and what it's not and what is not thinking
Mahtab
نکات مفید و جالبی در این کتاب بود از جمله تکنیک هایی برای فکر کردن یا درست فکر کردن. اما ترجمه نه چندان خوب کتاب باعث شد نتونم تا انتها پیش برم! امیدوارم متن اصلی رو پیدا کنم
Tim
Great ideas, but the book doesn't go into enough detail or have useful examples. I got this as part of a seminar, which was much more helpful in explaining how to use the tools.
Daniel
This book offers many techniques for analyzing and improving your thinking skills. Be sure to copy down the procedural steps as they will fade from memory after a while.
Michael Hsu
Not an easy book to read, at least for me. The key thing I got out of this book is thinking is a skill which means it can be improve. Now if I only remember how…
 هشام   خالد
Well its a little bit complicated or maybe my english is just poor . Yet I didn't understand the techniques fully . What I've understood was useful though
Dewey Norton
Presents a number of techniques, some invented by the author on how to think, which involves a higher level of skill than expected.
Anne Marie
Truly mind-expanding. Read at 12 years of age - made the grey matter even sharper (in my humble opinion! LOL!)
Alyssa
One of the best books on the thinking skills as a process and argumentations for new paradigms in thinking.
Christopher
Good idea...pompous writing and arrogant presentation. could have been written in one page...
Sebastian Panakal
Have used it my life. Have used to teach my students to design new ways for conflict resolution
Kevin
A different way to view things. Quite informative. A lot about lateral thinking.
Lynda
I consider this the best of De Bono's books.
Mohammad Al
The best author for thinking improvement
Vickie
  • The Fallacy Detective
  • Exploring Corporate Strategy
  • Miseducation: Preschoolers at Risk
  • Visual Grammar
  • The Tao of Coaching: Boost Your Effectiveness at Work by Inspiring and Developing Those Around You
  • The Great Political Theories, Volume 2
  • Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes & Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
  • The Geek Atlas
  • Instead of Education: Ways to Help People Do Things Better
  • Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual
  • Coaching For Performance: Growing People, Performance and Purpose
  • The Message: The New Testament in Contemporary Language
  • Reframing: Neurolinguistic Programming and the Transformation of Meaning
Edward de Bono is a British physician, author, inventor, and consultant. He is best known as the originator of the term lateral thinking (structured creativity) and the leading proponent of the deliberate teaching of thinking in schools.
More about Edward De Bono...
Six Thinking Hats Lateral Thinking How To Have A Beautiful Mind Think!: Before It's Too Late I Am Right You Are Wrong: From This to the New Renaissance: From Rock Logic to Water Logic