April Raintree

April Raintree

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  45 reviews
A revised version of the novel In Search of April Raintree, written specifically for students in grades 9 through 12. Through her characterization of two young sisters who are removed from their family, the author poignantly illustrates the difficulties that many Aboriginal people face in maintaining a positive self-identity.
Published June 1984 by Pemmican Publications (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about April Raintree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about April Raintree

There are some things we should read about from an intellectual point of view to make us educated and aware. Then there are issues that require good citizens to put aside their own lives for a few hours and experience the choices and feelings of someone else. Anyone living in Canada today needs to understand the Metis and our First Nations people at a deeper level.

I like the original title best. "In Search of April Raintree" really captures the essence of the story. Searching. Questions. Confus...more
Lauryn Keen
I thought April Raintree was a very good book and it showed lots of different emotions and how people have to cope with all the problems that life throws at them. I really liked all the twists and turns that was shown in this book and how the two sisters relationship changed throughtout the story. This book gave me a better understnading of how some people live in the world and how lucky i am to have the life that i do. I felt sorry for both April and Cheryl in some parts of the book because of...more
Jeremy Hiebert
This book has a lot of different issues in it. These range from people getting raped to people not getting along in foster homes and also parents and children fighting. I thought that this book was ok and I enjoyed some aspects of the book like when April and Cheryl would get together after being in their foster homes. Things I didn't like about the book was when April and Cheryl had to go to the DeRosiers and had to leave the Dions. I also didn't like it when April and Cheryls parents did't com...more
Gerrit Maxwell
"April Raintree" is very interesting and is one of the best books I have ever read. It contains a lot of conflict and deals with the issues facing people today such as racism, alcoholoism, rape, and prostitution. I enjoyed how descriptive and true to life the book is. I haven't come across any books that are better at talking about these issues. This book is good at describing the conflict between white and Metis people of the time. The book describes the image of native people as being dirty al...more
Shania Mccallum
I thought that April Raintree was a very good book! It had a lot of action going on that always made me wanting to keep reading. I never wanted to put the book down, and that's very rare for me because i'm not usually much of a reader. But that just shows how much i enjoyed it. At times, its a very emotional book. April was half my age and she'd already gone more stuff than i ever hope i have to go through in my life. But April handled it very maturely and that's something to be proud of! Some o...more
Haley Nakonechny
I really liked this book! It gives the reader great insight into what many Metis people have to go through in their lives. There were many times in this book that I figured that things for April and Cheryl couldn't get much worse, and then the author throws in another curve ball. You don't want to think about the fact that the events in their lives are actually happening to lots of people every day. I think it's a good thing that this book is written from April's point of view, because the emoti...more
Carlee Milljour
I thought that April Raintree was an amazing book, that always had me sitting on the edge of my seat! It was a really inspirational book, and really hit me deep. It can be a very emotional book, dealing with emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual pain. The book is about 2 half-breeds that are trying to make it through society, while facing so many problems because of their past and who they are. If you connect well to books easily because you put yourself in the characters shoes then this wo...more
Maria Moores
I didn't especially enjoy this book. It is about two metis sisters who struggle with their identity and that of their culture. This book covers many uncomefortable issues (rape,prostitution,suicide,ect.) I would not recommend this book to anyone looking to read a "clean" story. People who have been abused or have issues with indians may find this book difficult as it slashed open many healed scars for me. These same people may find comfort in this book in seeing that they are not alone in their...more
Kiesha
I thought was very good. i think who are into true stories would really like this book becuse it is based on a true story, this book always kept me interested there was not one page were i wanted to stop reading, my eyes were glued to the book the whole time, i think they should make a movie of this book because it does take place in Canada and i think the movie would be really interesting.
Tristan Klassen
This was an amazing book. It really opens you up to realize all of these horrible things in the world and how people don't really do much to help. I hope people would read this book to see the really atrocious things that are happening. I highly recommend this book to anyone because it is just truly amazing and it makes you actually feel like you are almost in the scene.
Devin Lowry
I have completed the book "April Raintree". This book is quite interesting. It is filled with many conflicts, and lots of discrimination towards the two main characters (April, and Cheryl). In this book there is a lot of racism towards Indians, and Metis people. This book teaches you the things that people go through in life, and how they deal with it.
Joanna Huang
I really enjoyed reading "April Raintree"! This book focuses on violence and racism. The characters are so dynamic and so true to life. I had felt sympathy for April and Cheryl, for all the events that have been ensued in their lives. I would recommend this for readers who enjoy reading dramatic and heart touching novels.
Scott Stewart
I thought that April Raintree was an alright book. i liked how in the book it demonstrates the discrimination that white people have against aboriginal people and the discrimination that aboriginal people have against white people.
Deb
While this book deals with some very important issues facing many Canadians today, the fact that it was rewritten for use in the high school classroom is problematic for literary reasons. There are many excellent points of discussion around the topics of self-discovery, addiction, family, and generational behavioural repercussions, yes, but this book lacks much that might be analysed from a literary perspective.
Additionally, I found spelling, grammatical, punctuation, and typing errors in this...more
Lord Gandolf
i like this book because i didnt read it... it was read to me. id like it read to me again. THX TEACHER!!!!
Melody
I don't mind April Raintree. Even though there is a few deaths and a bunch of drunk indians.
Bobby Mcfly
I thought that it was a good book at the beginning but near the end it got really crazy!!!
Nic
could of been better, could of been worse.
Jesse Morrow
I think this book was amazing
Ted
good book
Robin
I read excerpts from the original, In Search of April Raintree, when I was in high school. At that time, I recall finding the section my teacher chose being drearily depressing.

Right now, I'm working on creating materials for a blended English course, and this version, entitled simply April Raintree, written one year after the original at the request of educators wanting more classroom-friendly content, is one of the options vetted and available to me according to more than one book list I'm e...more
Clemence Kokolo
This book is totally amazing. It really inspired me to be more in the know of what is out there. What i hate the most is the fact that not much has changes since then and it's been a long time. I believe that the Author was really courageous to publish a book like this, not everybody can handle the reality that this book have us.
Spark
Mosionier's unpolished writing style makes this book read more like an autobiography than fiction, which makes it even more powerful. The saddest thing about the story is how little things seem to have changed since it was written. The child welfare system is still a mess, racism against Metis and Aboriginal Canadians may be less overt but it is still solidly entrenched, the police and court system still makes it difficult for rape victims to come forward. This book is as important today as when...more
Vionna
What a novel - it has certainly highlighted the despicable way in which the metis were treated within the latter half of the 20th century. The Childrens Aid Society in Manitoba just took these two girls and plunked them down with whatever family they could find, whether the families were suitable or not. That they separated the two sisters, just compounded the error. When one looks at the situation today, has anything changed? A resounding NO!!!!
Sarath Krishnan
April Raintree is a moving tale about the inequalities faced by the First-Nations of CANADA. This novel reminds us that the so-called cultural superiority we,human beings claims to possess is myth. We failed to see the brothers who are living near to us. The ethnocentric feelings will be there till the end of the world.
Jade
May 04, 2013 Jade rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
I was not a fan of the censored version I was forced to read in high school, even less so after I had to read the uncensored version "In Search of April Raintree" for University. There's really no comparison. The uncensored is much better and more honest to the subject matter. Put this one down and go get the other one.
Stacy
An amazing journey. Gritty and true, this book is an emotional read that leads you into the lives of two Metis sisters who struggle to get through life after being taken from their alcoholic and neglectful parents and placed into "the system". I highly recommend this book!
Rachel L
I thought "April Raintree" was a very good book. It was very eye-opening to see the other side of Winnipeg. The character April had already through so much when she was only half my age, and it really made me see just how fortunate I am. I really enjoyed this book.
  • Born with a Tooth
  • The Wolf at Twilight: An Indian Elder's Journey through a Land of Ghosts and Shadows
  • Half-Breed
  • A Bird in the House
  • Stolen Life: Journey Of A Cree Woman
  • The Broken Blade (Pierre La Page #1)
  • Paddle to the Amazon: The Ultimate 12,000-Mile Canoe Adventure
  • Kiss of the Fur Queen
  • Lonely: A Memoir
  • Wounds of Passion: A Writing Life
  • Queen of Hearts
  • Underground to Canada
  • Funny Boy
  • Working in the Shadows: A Year of Doing the Jobs (Most) Americans Won't Do
  • Sleeping Naked is Green: How an Eco-Cynic Unplugged Her Fridge, Sold Her Car, and Found Love in 366 Days
  • My Mother's Secret: A Novel Based on a True Holocaust Story
  • The Sacred Balance: Rediscovering Our Place in Nature
  • Looking At The Moon (The Guests of War Trilogy, #2)
In Search of April Raintree Spirit of the White Bison