Subway

Subway

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  39 reviews
A father.

Two children.

And more than 840 miles of track.

What does it addup to?

Something thrilling.

Are you ready for Subway?
Published May 25th 2010 by Greenwillow Books

Eve
Aug 13, 2013 Eve rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mariam
Christoph Niemann's ABSTRACT CITY is one of my favorite books (and it's unique in its own right, so pick it up—yes, I'm talking to you), and so although I hadn't realized that he wrote a kids' book, the subject matter was unsurprising. (In ABSTRACT CITY, he creates a subway-themed bathroom for his kids out of tile. It's amazing.) This book is a similar delight, but as my daughter has only ridden elevated trains, the New York focus was a bit of a departure, so to speak. Other big drawback? No tra...more
Cory Schulz
This book is about a family travels from one location in New York City to another location in that city. This book’s illustrations use the blank people from the bathroom signs you see in most public areas. This book was all about rhyming and integrating names and numbers into locations. This was a fun book to read, and the only reason I did not choose this one as my favorite, is I felt the need to choose a book with a more meaningful moral. I really love the art for art's sake but I do not think...more
Tasha
Take a trip through the tunnels with two children and a father on a rainy day. Wait for the train to come, feel the breeze and the rumble. Take the A train to all 44 stations. Then the F train filled with interesting people. You can take the 1 or 2 trains depending on whether you need the express. 7 heads to Times Square and you get a wonderful view on Q. F and G run together, then apart, and then return together again. When the day is done, you will still want to be riding the rails underground...more
Judy Desetti
I think this book is fairly confusing to younger children. I think you need to understand and have some background knowledge of public transportation and the subway system to understand the confusing stark images.

I do think this would be great book to use with an art class to show how subtle changes makes the feel of the drawing feeling different. It could also be used in teaching perspective.

Here is a SLJ review
School Library Journal (June 1, 2010)

PreS-Gr 1-This colorful, vivacious, child-cen...more
paula
"NOT just for New Yorkers, this swingy rhyming book follows a daddy and his two little kids on a subway adventure on a rainy day. They take the A train from jazzy Harlem all the way to sleepy Far Rockaway. They savor the view as the Q crosses over the East River. They have fun with the map - why take the 1 straight from the southern tip of Manhattan to the southern end of Central Park... when you could take the 3 to the 5 to the N to the B to the C to the 7 to the 6 to the E to the D and end up...more
Amanda
My son really liked this one and had me read it twice in a row the first time (3 times if he'd gotten his way)! We kept having to flip back to the first page where the whole subway system map was. It was a little confusing trying to place where each line was on the overall map and I wish there was a more formal map on the endpages to refer to. It also was set in verse, but very variable, sometimes to the point I wasn't sure if it all was supposed to be verse or not. Just made it a little harder/...more
Rita Crayon Huang
Brilliant and specific, with route details and an extremely pleasing, bold, traffic-appropriate art style. All my New York-based and -bred friends with kids are getting copies in the near future.

I will probably pair this with Knuffle Bunny, by Mo Willems, which isn't a book I've given out in the past. Great story in that, obviously, and I once heard Mo Willems describe his cleaning up of the photo backgrounds in that book as his love song to New York. (He may not have used those words exactly--b...more
Allison Parker
With boldly and simply painted figures inspired by public signage, Nieman creates a wild and colorful ride through New York City's subway system. Transit-specific vocabulary like "express" and "detour" are introduced through both the illustrations and the rhyming text throughout the story. Children not familiar with either an urban environment or New York's subway system might scratch their heads at the street names and tricky letter/number names of the train lines, but all readers will recogniz...more
Russell
A fantastic book, full of cute little details. The QM2, Statue of Liberty, dog, and cat having subway line indicators is adorable. The anthropomorphized subway lines are cute, as are the non-subway characters (even the rat with the MetroCard). Though some might bristle at the characterization of tourists as illiterate simpletons, it's a cute snub. And the author's entirely right, the Q from DeKalb to Canal is a world-class view.
A vibrant, visually-stimulating romp through the New York City subway system. The text is simple, engaging, and fast-paced. A dad takes two children for an adventure on trains traveling all over the city. While not an informational text, it certainly captures the feel of the subway. I think that kids with exposure to NYC or other trains will appreciate the book the most but really, any child interested in trains and city life will enjoy this fun book.
Kathryn
3.5 STARS

3 Stars for my enjoyment level; 4 stars to give it the benefit of the doubt because I am NOT familiar with NYC subways and I have a feeling this book is more clever than I understood. That said, this story of a father and his children on an outing through the NYC subway would probably best appeal to children who live in NYC (or other cities with subways) or those who will be visiting (or have visited) the city.
Jenilyn Braden
I really loved this book. It's all about riding the subway around the city of New York (which is one of my favorite places), and I also loved the illustrations. This would be a good book to read to children around here especially because many of them won't know what a subway is. It could spark a discussion about different forms of transportation and why people get around differently in different places.
Snorkle
I didn't care for this book. I thought it had an interesting concept, but I just didn't see how well it played out in the story. The illustrations felt a little bland as well. I think other people might enjoy this book, but I didn't. It was a little boring.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2011...
Jess Brown
The best part about this book are the illustrations--bold, simple, and all of the figures remind me of those we see repeatedly on signs (just like on the subway, how cute!). When a family decides to spend the day riding the subway, they find an adventure and many special views of their beloved New York City. Probably best for preschool, but a bit older might enjoy it as well.
Alida
One of the best things in NYC is the subway. This book made me miss Brooklyn like crazy. It perfectly captures the joy that it is the subway. I could almost feel the breeze and hear the sound of the tracks. The bold colors of the very simple illustrations are quite enchanting. I burst out laughing at the J train little critters. This is a delightful kid's book.
Beth
Despite the fact that the illustrations are incredibly simple, they still manage to perfectly capture the mood of big-city life and the excitement of the NYC subway. I'm sure a lot of urban commuters look at their commute on the subway as the definition of mundane, but Christoph Niemann shows us how exciting it can be through the eyes of children.
Sammie Ortiz
This book was easy to read because it rhymed. The flow of the book was easy to follow and overall enjoyable to read. The pictures were simple, which allows children to focus more on the words. A process was explained in this book and can be used as a teaching method for using the subway system.
Taylor Johnson
I liked this book mostly because i loved the illustrations which were bold, colorful and also simple. I think kids will enjoy it but may get confused if you dont discuss what the subway is ahead of time. It will also be great to get them saying their letters and numbers.
Joanna
My four year old loves this book. He woke up talking about it. I wouldn't have thought twice about it but this is a kid who plays 'build a city'or 'build a subway' in some form almost daily. Some kids like Batman mine likes urban planning so this is five stars for us.
Cameron Marlow
This book is Christoph Niemann's ode to the NYC subway system, and for anyone with a subway fascination or attachment to New York, it will be one of the more pleasurable books you share with your kids.

This is also my favorite of Niemann's children's' books.
Marcie
I can see why this is a hit in NY. For those of us with no access to a Subway it can serve as an introduction to another culture. I'm in a city, but don't think of mass transit as a vacation. Glad to see, I'm not the norm.
Samantha
The images are great for young kids to replicate. I love how this book teaches kids about the New York train system;great book for kids who love cars, trains, buses, etc. I would recommend this book for ages 2-9.
Mylinh
I liked the illustrations and graphics of this book, as well as the concept of a dad spending the whole day with his kids on an adventure. The story itself did not really grab me though
G. G.
This book will find its place on my coffee table. I love public transportation and this book reminds me how much I missed riding the metro. Funny story and neat simple illustrations.
Emorie
I didn't particularly enjoy the story, but I thought the illustrations were unique and beautiful. I also thought the book did a nice job incorporating a few numbers and letters.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Maybe I was more open to this because I was having my own conversations with my family about subways, but I enjoyed the text and illustrations on this one.
Hannah Sheffield
This book could be used to help children learn the alphabet. This would probably be a good book to read to preschool or kindergarten students.
Connie
Oct 28, 2010 Connie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: jv
A father and two children ride the subway together with the children in charge of where they go. Very interesting to a mid-westerner.
Shannon
I thought I would like this book more than I did. If I were a New Yorker, I imagine I'd adore it. A fun read, but not terribly memorable.
Amanda
This book really appeals to me art wise. Stick figures with expressions of wind, and windy lines and blocky bold colors. Yes!
  • Charley Harper ABCs: Chunky Edition
  • In Daddy's Arms I Am Tall: African Americans Celebrating Fathers
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • Seven Hungry Babies
  • Tap Tap Boom Boom
  • Walk On!: A Guide for Babies of All Ages
  • This Is the Way We Go to School: A Book About Children Around the World
  • Dear Juno
  • Happy Valentine's Day, Mouse!
  • The Fire Engine Book
  • black is brown is tan
  • Forever Young
  • Don't Squish the Sasquatch!
  • Trashy Town
  • Swim! Swim!
  • Put It On the List!
  • The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin (with CD)
  • Sleep, Big Bear, Sleep!
Abstract City The Pet Dragon: A Story about Adventure, Friendship, and Chinese Characters That's How! The Police Cloud I Lego N.Y.