Start by marking “Da Bears!: How the 1985 Monsters of the Midway Became the Greatest Team in NFL History” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
An acclaimed sports journalist and native Chicagoan tackles what many call the greatest team in NFL history. Da Bears! tells the full story of the ’85 legends—with all the controversy and excitement—on the field and off.

It’s been 25 years since the Chicago Bears won Super Bowl XX with what Bill Parcells called “the best defensive team I’ve ever seen” and an offense surpris
Published September 28th 2010 by Crown Archetype (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Da Bears!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Da Bears!

Kyle McGinty
The story of the 85 Bears was excellient. It explains how a group of guys came together for one goal in mind and that goal was to win a Super Bowl. The book was amazing. It explains so much about how the team was one of the worst teams in NFL history to becoming one of best teams in the nation. I like that it explains the popularity of the players and that everywhere they went it was fame the second they got there. The author used a lot of describing about individual player like Jim McMahon for ...more
Aaron Webb
May 09, 2011 Aaron Webb rated it liked it
This had the potential to be a great book - A team that had its share of characters, however I felt the book didn't reach the expectations I had for it. Maybe in the hands of another author it would have been better, but quite often this book came across as something written by a first year journalism student in college.
Meg
Nov 21, 2010 Meg rated it liked it
If you were or are a Chicago Bears fan you will enjoy reading this book. I lived in the Chicago area in 1985 and followed the Bears closely, but was not aware of all that was going on between player, coaches and management. They were still a great group of guys that gave Chicago quite a ride.
Tom Gase
Feb 16, 2011 Tom Gase rated it it was amazing
I've read a couple books by Steve Delsohn, who hails from Thousand Oaks, the town I grew up in, but this one is his best.

I was really caught up in this book even though I'm not a Chicago Bears fan. It really brought me back to being in second grade and playing two-touch football with my friend Matt in his backyard. I was always Marcus Allen and Howie Long while he was always Walter Payton, Jim McMahon or Gary Fencik. I got so caught up in this book that I put on some tunes from 85 like Husker Du
Tyler Ratliff
Jan 21, 2013 Tyler Ratliff rated it liked it
Delsohn's purpose in writing his book, Da Bears, is to inform the reader about the 25th anniversary of the 1985 Chicago Bears who were acclaimed to be the best team in NFL history. Da Bears provides in-depth account of events that happened during the Bears historical season. It shows how elements of comedy, seriousness, and preparation led the 1985 Bears to be one of the best teams in NFL history. Da Bears is truly a great book that teaches us to appreciate what we have achieved. Delsohn shows t ...more
Jen
Dec 04, 2010 Jen rated it it was amazing
HILARIOUS! As a newly (within the last few years) converted Bears fan, I had a wonderful time learning about the golden 1985 season. This book is technical in providing season/player statistics. As a narrative, it introduces us to the 1985 players - how they were drafted, their personalities, and in some cases, what their futures after 1985 held. It is also narrative in describing dramas between players and coaches during the season. Head coach Mike Ditka and defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan hav ...more
Nozz
Mar 01, 2015 Nozz rated it really liked it
As a lifelong Bears fan I enjoyed reading the book. I especially related to the players who had also been lifelong Bears' fans like Thayer and Fencik. They expressed what all Chicago fans were feeling. Sad that they could not win more championships, but I think we all knew it wasn't going to happen for us.
Michael Peeples
A fun and interesting read. Probably a great trip down memory lane for those rabid Bears fans, and a nice little refresher to those of us who remember that season. For sports fans only, unless you love football, this is not a book to read.
Brandon
Sep 21, 2011 Brandon rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! Great read for any fan of the 1985 Chicago Bears, second only to _Never Die Easy_, Payton's autobiography written with Don Yaeger just before his death. It was so great to relive such a wild ride. The 1985 season comes to life through the words of Bears' greats such as coach Mike Ditka, Mike Singletary, Dan Hampton, Jim McMahon, Dave Duerson, and Kevin Butler, among others. Nothing is left out, from the legendary conflict between Buddy Ryan and Mike Ditka to the infamous Super Bowl ...more
Scott
Apr 27, 2014 Scott rated it liked it
Nice trip down memory lane.
Bigheadwalt
Re-tread of many stories known to Chicago fans.
Fun to relive, but nothing new
Dave Donahoe
Dec 02, 2012 Dave Donahoe rated it really liked it
Shelves: chicago-sports
I've read a lot of these books...and this one is like talking to a fellow fan. Some great new anecdotes and intereviews you have read before. It didn't bogged down in all the details of the season and concentrated more on the personality of the team. Don't let the, now silly, title throw you off, this is defintely a Chicago sports fan's book.
Keenan
Jan 06, 2011 Keenan rated it really liked it
This book is about the Bears road to Super Bowl 20. Having famous star like Walter Payton Jim McMahon and Mike Singletary. This book makes you feel like your actual there!! And always talks about there wonderful moments and the horrible moments. The get right back up and win the Super Bowl!!!!!
Trudy
May 14, 2013 Trudy rated it really liked it
As an avid (some might say rabid) Chicago Bears fan, I really enjoyed this trip down memory lane. The 1985 Bears were an experience!

Delsohn's book does get somewhat repetitive, and it isn't particularly well-written, but it will still delight any diehard Bears aficionado!
Caitlin Stamper
Jan 20, 2012 Caitlin Stamper rated it really liked it
An excellent book about the dysfunctional team that was the 1985 Bears. The relationship between Mike Ditka and Buddy Ryan is especially compelling. "Da Bears" takes you before, during and after every game of the '85 season. It's a stellar book for football fans.
Kareem
Dec 12, 2014 Kareem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enlightening read and really learnt a lot about those players and coaches. Buddy Ryan certainly was a piece of work, like Mike Ditka and Jim McMahon.
Roy Kissel
Jan 31, 2011 Roy Kissel rated it liked it
Good to relive that great season. Most of the stories about the 1985 Bears are well known, but the book does offer a few juicy new (to me) nuggets.
Chowhound88 (a.k.a. Ralph)
Aug 06, 2013 Chowhound88 (a.k.a. Ralph) rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading it. Especially since I have been a Bear fan from the age of 6. I will add it one day to my home library.
James Halcomb
Jul 26, 2012 James Halcomb rated it liked it

Harmless, fun but not very insightful....
Chris Nini
Chris Nini rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Seth
Seth added it
Jul 20, 2016
Dylan Laporte
Dylan Laporte rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Leticia
Leticia marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Al Karsten
Al Karsten marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Craig Kind
Craig Kind is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2016
Jared
Jared added it
Aug 12, 2016
Tyler Nastich
Tyler Nastich marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Garrett Leffelman
Garrett Leffelman rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
Marge Blum
Marge Blum marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Mark Kasten
Mark Kasten marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: Da Bears! 1 3 May 14, 2013 09:03PM
STEVE DELSOHN is the author or co-author of more than half a dozen books, including Da Bears! and Jim Brown's autobiography, Out of Bounds. He also wrote Talking Irish: The Oral History of Notre Dame Football as well as several other oral histories. He is currently a reporter for ESPN's Outside the Lines, for which he recently won a Peabody Award.
More about Steve Delsohn...