Start by marking “I Will Not Die an Unlived Life: Reclaiming Purpose and Passion” as Want to Read:
I Will Not Die an Unlived Life: Reclaiming Purpose and Passion

I Will Not Die an Unlived Life: Reclaiming Purpose and Passion

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Self help self perception book
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about I Will Not Die an Unlived Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Will Not Die an Unlived Life

Elyse
Nov 22, 2011 Elyse rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elyse by: My mother; my sister
Shelves: 2011, inspiration
A nice range of insights and nuggets of wisdom related to finding personal balance and reclaiming your passion/purpose.

I read the book during a period of personal inertia and apathy, when I have been struggling to find energy and meaning. I found it very helpful to reconceptualize this period as passion's rest, for example. Not a malfunction or dis-ease, but a healthy function for a living organism.

Markova's discussion of constellations ~ as a metaphor for how we navigate through discerning our
Michelle
"It is not the events in our lives that determine who we become, but the meaning we choose to place on those events." - Victor Frankl

I have read this book three times, and I always walk away both centered and inspired. One woman's simple exploration of what her life means, Markova experiences it all; trials, joys, the bitter with the sweet, and shares her journey to living a life of passion and purpose. I found it inspiring and, in a weird way, calming. It was a reminder that I can have exactly
Laurie Dittmar
I didn't agree with all of her choices; but, with that said, this book came along at a much-needed time of my life. This book brought me some new perspectives. I have to say, this was very much a part of my stepping out of the past and into the future...
Ngiamsw
Understanding and seeing our life as nature's natural cycle of spring, summer, fall, winter. How do I live in a way that brings out the best of who I am?
Christina
OMYGOODNESS.. OMYGOODNESS. so many earmarks and underlines and double/triple earmarks in this book, too many to count, so many truths,astonishing heart wrenching aha moments! I love, did I say, I LOVE this book. Thank you Dawna Markova for your beauty for showing your realness so that we can feel with you.. been there. love you xo xo
After a while this spiraled for me into a what the heck did you start out taking about? Never afraid to abandon a book.
Nancy Kriseman
This is a book not to be missed if you are interested in examining your life’s meaning and purpose.
Denise
This was a re-read and I love it just as much as I did way back when!
So much wisdom.
Kris
Just too overdramatic for my tastes.
Larissa
She writes in a circular kind of way, weaving in stories that for her signify the point she is trying to make. It's hard to get accustomed to if you like linear reading, but her metaphors are beautiful. The gems are the questions she asks the reader at the end of every chapter. Taking these questions alone and meditating, writing on them was worth the read.
Ellie
Oct 30, 2007 Ellie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the self-help contingent
I'm not as impressed with this book as I was with Wayne Muller's "How, Then, Shall I Live?" Like Muller's, it's quite autobiographical, but that's basically where it stops. There are just a few questions at the end of every chapter that jar readers into engagement, rather than suggestions and exercises throughout.
Tan
It was very powerful and very spiritual. It taught me how you let go in order to move on. It taught me how to allow myself to go through all the emotions I have and to understand what they mean and how to move on with life.

It's a great book about finding spirituality
Stemsofred
This is a wonderful book to use while reflecting on your own life's path. The stage of the author's life, as she tells it, will make you realize how fast time goes by and why the passion in your life needs to remain in the forefront at all times.
Karen
One of my favorites that I'm rereading in conjunction with the "Developing Wisdom in the 2nd Half of Life" Workshop I'm co-presenting with Kathleen Hofer this fall. Full of insightful questions for introspection, which is where I am currently.
Mom
May 25, 2007 Mom rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: female readers
I enjoy light-reading "devotional"-type books like this once in a while. This read encourages personal renewal in the crazy technological age in which we live and offers some basic insights and some unconventional wisdom also.
Robin
One of the best self-help books I've read. So many nuggets of truth and wisdom that come through in the stories she tells. I am reading it again now with my partner. So thankful to Joan Borysenko for suggesting it.
Leti Hawthorn
Aug 08, 2013 Leti Hawthorn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Leti by: Alison Gean-Davis
This is a remarkable book gifted to me by my best friend and soul-sister Alison back at the beginning of 2010. I read it and re-read it and the title often comes to mind, particularly at times of challenge.
Sara
This is an amazing thought-provoking story that will make you question your life and the way you will live it. I would definitely read this book again, although I have read it twice now already.
Kirsten
This is the single most depressing book I have ever read. Excruciating personal tales of hardship and loss. Could not get past the woe to get the goodies.
Andie
Jan 28, 2008 Andie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wishing to listen to their inner teachers
It is like Dawna Markova is talking to me as she writes. I love how she invites me into her way of living, dying and living again in her life.
Tina Walker
Loved this book!!! It has inspired me in more ways than one to touch others and be positive. I want to give everyone I know a copy of this book.
Heather!
This did not help me reclaim purpose or passion, and I read it three times. But there were a few really "ahah" moments in there for me.
Kerilyn
Nov 29, 2007 Kerilyn is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's searching
So far.. I really like this book... Still reading though.. I'll let you know what I really think when I'm done!
Allison
Didn't finish - not sure this is to be read as a novel. More like a book you come back to again and again.
Ashlee Foster (Tidwell)
This book has SO many amazing insights. I love this book and would recommend every woman to read it!
Cheryl
They say that the book finds you and so it was with this little tome- right book- right time.
Jen
Aug 26, 2008 Jen is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Awaken your passions and purpose with a daily reminder to forget your fears in this little book.
Kim
I REALLY want to like this book, and marry its philosophy. But I just can't. :(
Lori
Inspirational on living the life you were intended too - not the one you settle for.
Sandy
A good book to save and refer back to. We studied this in a women's book circle.
Reclaiming Purpose 1 3 Oct 26, 2008 06:08PM
  • Ballad Divine: Bhagavad-Gita
  • The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
  • Loose End
  • Cries of the Spirit: More Than 300 Poems in Celebration of Women's Spirituality
  • Stalking the Divine
  • The Lesbian Body
  • Whispers from the Woods: The Lore & Magic of Trees
  • Dating Jesus: A Story of Fundamentalism, Feminism, and the American Girl
  • Live Through This: On Creativity and Self-Destruction
  • Your Sugar Sits Untouched
  • To Walk a Pagan Path: Practical Spirituality for Every Day
  • Supercell
Open Mind: Discovering the Six Patterns of Natural Intelligence How Your Child Is Smart: A Life-Changing Approach to Learning No Enemies Within: A Creative Process for Discovering What's Right about What's Wrong Spot of Grace: Remarkable Stories of How You DO Make a Difference Art of the Possible: A Compassionate Approach to Understanding the Way People Think, Learn, and Communicate

“I will not die an unlived life.
I will not live in fear
of falling or catching fire.
I choose to inhabit my days,
to allow my living to open me,
to make me less afraid,
more accessible;
to loosen my heart
until it becomes a wing,
a torch, a promise.
I choose to risk my significance,
to live so that which came to me as seed
goes to the next as blossom,
and that which came to me as blossom,
goes on as fruit.”