Start by marking “I Will Not Die an Unlived Life: Reclaiming Purpose and Passion” as Want to Read:
I Will Not Die an Unlived Life: Reclaiming Purpose and Passion

I Will Not Die an Unlived Life: Reclaiming Purpose and Passion

Self help self perception book
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about I Will Not Die an Unlived Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Will Not Die an Unlived Life

Michelle
Aug 08, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, kobo, reviewed
"It is not the events in our lives that determine who we become, but the meaning we choose to place on those events." - Victor Frankl

I have read this book three times, and I always walk away both centered and inspired. One woman's simple exploration of what her life means, Markova experiences it all; trials, joys, the bitter with the sweet, and shares her journey to living a life of passion and purpose. I found it inspiring and, in a weird way, calming. It was a reminder that I can have exactly
Elyse
Nov 22, 2011 Elyse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elyse by: My mother; my sister
Shelves: inspiration, 2011
A nice range of insights and nuggets of wisdom related to finding personal balance and reclaiming your passion/purpose.

I read the book during a period of personal inertia and apathy, when I have been struggling to find energy and meaning. I found it very helpful to reconceptualize this period as passion's rest, for example. Not a malfunction or dis-ease, but a healthy function for a living organism.

Markova's discussion of constellations ~ as a metaphor for how we navigate through discerning our
Laurie Dittmar
Jun 28, 2012 Laurie Dittmar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't agree with all of her choices; but, with that said, this book came along at a much-needed time of my life. This book brought me some new perspectives. I have to say, this was very much a part of my stepping out of the past and into the future...
Ngiamsw
Oct 02, 2009 Ngiamsw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Understanding and seeing our life as nature's natural cycle of spring, summer, fall, winter. How do I live in a way that brings out the best of who I am?
Christina
Mar 22, 2015 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMYGOODNESS.. OMYGOODNESS. so many earmarks and underlines and double/triple earmarks in this book, too many to count, so many truths,astonishing heart wrenching aha moments! I love, did I say, I LOVE this book. Thank you Dawna Markova for your beauty for showing your realness so that we can feel with you.. been there. love you xo xo
After a while this spiraled for me into a what the heck did you start out taking about? Never afraid to abandon a book.
Nancy Kriseman
This is a book not to be missed if you are interested in examining your life’s meaning and purpose.
Denise
Sep 21, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a re-read and I love it just as much as I did way back when!
So much wisdom.
Ron Bronson
Jan 09, 2016 Ron Bronson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Accidentally ran into this at the library and read it in the stacks. Um...yeah.
Kris
Feb 22, 2015 Kris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Just too overdramatic for my tastes.
Larissa
She writes in a circular kind of way, weaving in stories that for her signify the point she is trying to make. It's hard to get accustomed to if you like linear reading, but her metaphors are beautiful. The gems are the questions she asks the reader at the end of every chapter. Taking these questions alone and meditating, writing on them was worth the read.
Ellie
Oct 30, 2007 Ellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the self-help contingent
I'm not as impressed with this book as I was with Wayne Muller's "How, Then, Shall I Live?" Like Muller's, it's quite autobiographical, but that's basically where it stops. There are just a few questions at the end of every chapter that jar readers into engagement, rather than suggestions and exercises throughout.
Tan
Nov 25, 2008 Tan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was very powerful and very spiritual. It taught me how you let go in order to move on. It taught me how to allow myself to go through all the emotions I have and to understand what they mean and how to move on with life.

It's a great book about finding spirituality
Stemsofred
Jan 22, 2009 Stemsofred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book to use while reflecting on your own life's path. The stage of the author's life, as she tells it, will make you realize how fast time goes by and why the passion in your life needs to remain in the forefront at all times.
Karen
Jul 02, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites that I'm rereading in conjunction with the "Developing Wisdom in the 2nd Half of Life" Workshop I'm co-presenting with Kathleen Hofer this fall. Full of insightful questions for introspection, which is where I am currently.
Mom
May 25, 2007 Mom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: female readers
I enjoy light-reading "devotional"-type books like this once in a while. This read encourages personal renewal in the crazy technological age in which we live and offers some basic insights and some unconventional wisdom also.
Robin
Oct 27, 2011 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best self-help books I've read. So many nuggets of truth and wisdom that come through in the stories she tells. I am reading it again now with my partner. So thankful to Joan Borysenko for suggesting it.
Leti Hawthorn
Aug 08, 2013 Leti Hawthorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Leti by: Alison Gean-Davis
This is a remarkable book gifted to me by my best friend and soul-sister Alison back at the beginning of 2010. I read it and re-read it and the title often comes to mind, particularly at times of challenge.
Lorraine
Jan 18, 2016 Lorraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality, memoir
An incredible read. Dawna provides the reader with questions to journal on that for this reader, had me delving into uncharted waters. I felt myself expanding with each question. A worthy read.
Sara
Sep 10, 2009 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing thought-provoking story that will make you question your life and the way you will live it. I would definitely read this book again, although I have read it twice now already.
Kirsten
Jun 04, 2015 Kirsten rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This is the single most depressing book I have ever read. Excruciating personal tales of hardship and loss. Could not get past the woe to get the goodies.
Andie
Jan 28, 2008 Andie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wishing to listen to their inner teachers
It is like Dawna Markova is talking to me as she writes. I love how she invites me into her way of living, dying and living again in her life.
Tina Walker
Oct 14, 2013 Tina Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!!! It has inspired me in more ways than one to touch others and be positive. I want to give everyone I know a copy of this book.
Heather!
Sep 25, 2012 Heather! rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This did not help me reclaim purpose or passion, and I read it three times. But there were a few really "ahah" moments in there for me.
Kerilyn
Nov 29, 2007 Kerilyn is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's searching
So far.. I really like this book... Still reading though.. I'll let you know what I really think when I'm done!
Allison
Didn't finish - not sure this is to be read as a novel. More like a book you come back to again and again.
Ashlee Foster (Tidwell)
This book has SO many amazing insights. I love this book and would recommend every woman to read it!
Cheryl
Aug 31, 2010 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They say that the book finds you and so it was with this little tome- right book- right time.
Jen
Awaken your passions and purpose with a daily reminder to forget your fears in this little book.
Kim
  • The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self
  • Ballad Divine: Bhagavad-Gita
  • The Woman's Comfort Book
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
  • Cries of the Spirit: More Than 300 Poems in Celebration of Women's Spirituality
  • Love Cake
  • The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 7: 1966-1974
  • Whispers from the Woods: The Lore & Magic of Trees
  • Stalking the Divine
  • Mistaking the Sea for Green Fields

“I will not die an unlived life.
I will not live in fear
of falling or catching fire.
I choose to inhabit my days,
to allow my living to open me,
to make me less afraid,
more accessible;
to loosen my heart
until it becomes a wing,
a torch, a promise.
I choose to risk my significance,
to live so that which came to me as seed
goes to the next as blossom,
and that which came to me as blossom,
goes on as fruit.”
116 likes
“My journal has become a paper mirror, a topographic map to my mind. It is where I go to sort out confusion and decipher the invisible.” 2 likes