Start by marking “This I Believe: On Love” as Want to Read:
This I Believe: On Love

This I Believe: On Love

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Inspiring essays on love shared by men, women, and young people from all walks of life In the 1950's, Edward R. Murrow's radio program, This I Believe, gave voice to the feelings and treasured beliefs of Americans around the country. Fifty years later, the popular update of the series, which now continues on Bob Edwards Weekend on public radio, explores the beliefs that p ...more
Published November 9th 2010 by John Wiley & Sons (first published October 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about This I Believe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This I Believe

Carla Jean
Dec 31, 2010 Carla Jean rated it really liked it
Recommended to Carla Jean by: Monica Aswani
Shelves: booksiown, readin2010
A friend emailed me after she finished this book. Something about it made her think of me--an incredible compliment, even before I read the book. Weeks later, a copy showed up at my doorstep. These thoughtful expressions of love (of all kinds) are the perfect antidote to a tumultuous mind, and I'm certain I'll return to these essays again and again.
Apr 13, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, essays
If I cry while reading a book, it's an automatic 5 stars. Just sayin'.

I don't know if it was the cold (or the cold medication) but this book had me crying. I'm not going to say it was profound; it simply touched me profoundly because it focuses on the little things about love rather than the big, fireworks, media-driven, Hollywood-centric love I'm used to seeing. These are simple stories which are extremely personal.

I think I'm also touched that so many people were willing to openly share their
Vanessa
Mar 08, 2011 Vanessa rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Some of the essays were very well-written and quite touching; I was moved to tears more than once. Others were harder for me to relate to, and I skipped at least two essays. I think I prefer reading This I Believe essays one at a time rather than as a collection.
Stina
Feb 05, 2012 Stina rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
I really enjoy This I Believe, but I believe this book was gagging me.
Joy
Oct 20, 2012 Joy rated it liked it
This book was collected essays from a series on NPR in 2005 that 'explores the beliefs and guiding principles by which Americans live.' As expected, some essays are trite, some slightly heretical, but most were thoughtful.

James Johnson (about his father): I believe that I am the man I am today because of that relationship. I learned to do things simply, to stay with the things that work, to be patient, to appreciate silence. I learned that discomfort is transient. I learned that I was a welcome
Jill
Jan 18, 2012 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while I'll catch a "This I believe" essay on NPR but never one on the subject of love. Some essays in this collection are well-written, some are not, but I find it admirable that the editors include a variety of viewpoints and a variety of writing styles. From a sociological standpoint it's fascinating to read how Americans of different age groups and backgrounds choose to share their feelings and which excerpt of their life they choose to highlight in such a short essay.

From "T
On Point
Back in the 1950s, broadcast legend Edward R. Murrow invited Americans to share what they really believed in short essays for radio – and many did. Listeners heard “This I Believe” from Jackie Robinson, Helen Keller, Harry Truman and many ordinary Americans.

In the last decade, “This I Believe” came back to the airwaves. And many Americans wanted to share what they believed about love. Their collection of essays on love cuts through the commercialism and takes a candid look at what love really is
Heather
Dec 05, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
I really loved this book! It is full of so many sweet and inspiring stories of where people find love and what love means to them. There are so many neat examples and stories of family, friends, pets, places, marriages, challenges, choices, children, selflessness, hope, perspective and peace. It's really all about love! :) Some of my favorite stories were those of family sacrifices and enduring love. I'm grateful for family. I'm grateful for love. :)
Danielle
Oct 02, 2015 Danielle rated it did not like it
With this offering, This I Believe has morphed into Chicken Soup for the Soul's slightly more serious cousin.
Molly
Mar 21, 2011 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspiring
I really like the This I Believe books. There are so many great examples of love in this particular book, from the really basic to those that are extremely deep. That is why I love the concept - because it's so interesting to see how many different interpretations there are. It made me stop and really think about the word "love" and what it really means.
Anna
Mar 12, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A Dog's Life:
"All I ever really wanted out of life was to have my back scratched while sitting in front of the TV, to run free in the woods on a sunny summer day, and to curl up in front of a fire on a cold winter's evening, listening to classical music that someone else would put on the stereo."
Brooke
Jan 02, 2014 Brooke rated it really liked it
Probably not my favorite of these books but I still love the format and premise of the series.
Aprils
Mar 02, 2015 Aprils rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love to listen to "This I Believe" on the radio, so I thought that I would enjoy this book. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything inspirational or helpful inside. The insights were pretty banal.
Alyssa
Jul 23, 2011 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think these were all recorded by the essay writers to be aired on NPR, so hearing them would have made this a whole lot better. Certainly my style of book with short stories.
Sandra
Very short, inspirational true stories of people who face a problem with love and solve it. Quick read, that makes you feel good.
Linda
I can't star people's beliefs. A couple of the essays that really spoke to me were Love on Aisle Three" and "The Person in Front of Me".
Laurie
Feb 25, 2011 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I also thoroughly enjoyed this book- great essays on love and its many facets and meanings. A great thematic read for February!
Arin Jeffs
Jan 06, 2013 Arin Jeffs rated it really liked it
My husband bought this for me after I read the first This I Believe book. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the original book.
Rebecca Lentz
Aug 17, 2014 Rebecca Lentz rated it it was amazing
Great, inspiring, sweet, an easy book to pick up, get lost in for a few minutes, put back down and finish later.
Morgan
Some essays I really identified with and found to be very touching. Others were kind of cliche.
Wendolyn
Jan 24, 2012 Wendolyn marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wendolyn by: Bookstore
there are more like this...
Barbara Gard
ok I guess
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Carleen Alves-Crespo
Carleen Alves-Crespo marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Trish V
Trish V is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Manilyn
Manilyn marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
larisa salniker
larisa salniker marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Crisis: 40 Stories Revealing the Personal, Social, and Religious Pain and Trauma of Growing Up Gay in America
  • Lights on a Ground of Darkness: An Evocation of a Place and Time
  • Lessons in Letting Go: Confessions of a Hoarder
  • The Book of (Holiday) Awesome
  • Seeking Peace: Chronicles of the Worst Buddhist in the World
  • Bulletproof Faith: A Spiritual Survival Guide for Gay and Lesbian Christians
  • The Ragged Edge of Silence: Finding Peace in a Noisy World
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Living Catholic Faith: 101 Stories to Offer Hope, Deepen Faith, and Spread Love
  • Homosexuality and Christian Faith: Questions of Conscience for the Churches
  • The Penguin Book of Gay Short Stories
  • Sex and the Soul: Juggling Sexuality, Spirituality, Romance, and Religion on America's College Campuses
  • When I Was Your Age, Volume One: Original Stories About Growing Up
  • Morning, Noon, and Night: Growing Up and Growing Old with Literature
  • Everything is Its Own Reward: An All Over Coffee Collection
  • The Runner's Rule Book: Everything a Runner Needs to Know - And Then Some
  • A Year of Mornings: 3191 Miles Apart
  • The Money Answer Book: Quick Answers to Your Everyday Financial Questions
  • A Kiss Before You Go: An Illustrated Memoir of Love and Loss
Dan Gediman is a long-time writer, editor, and public radio producer whose work has been heard on All Things Considered, Morning Edition, Marketplace, Jazz Profiles, and This American Life. During his 30-year radio career, he has won many of public broadcasting’s most prestigious awards including the duPont-Columbia Award.

Dan is currently the Executive Director of This I Believe, Inc. (www.thisib
More about Dan Gediman...