Start by marking “This I Believe: On Love” as Want to Read:
This I Believe: On Love

This I Believe: On Love

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Inspiring essays on love shared by men, women, and young people from all walks of lifeIn the 1950's, Edward R. Murrow's radio program, "This I Believe, " gave voice to the feelings and treasured beliefs of Americans around the country. Fifty years later, the popular update of the series, which now continues on "Bob Edwards Weekend" on public radio, explores the beliefs tha ...more
Published November 9th 2010 by John Wiley & Sons (first published October 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about This I Believe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This I Believe

Carla Jean
Dec 31, 2010 Carla Jean rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Carla Jean by: Monica Aswani
Shelves: booksiown, readin2010
A friend emailed me after she finished this book. Something about it made her think of me--an incredible compliment, even before I read the book. Weeks later, a copy showed up at my doorstep. These thoughtful expressions of love (of all kinds) are the perfect antidote to a tumultuous mind, and I'm certain I'll return to these essays again and again.
If I cry while reading a book, it's an automatic 5 stars. Just sayin'.

I don't know if it was the cold (or the cold medication) but this book had me crying. I'm not going to say it was profound; it simply touched me profoundly because it focuses on the little things about love rather than the big, fireworks, media-driven, Hollywood-centric love I'm used to seeing. These are simple stories which are extremely personal.

I think I'm also touched that so many people were willing to openly share their
Vanessa
Some of the essays were very well-written and quite touching; I was moved to tears more than once. Others were harder for me to relate to, and I skipped at least two essays. I think I prefer reading This I Believe essays one at a time rather than as a collection.
Stina
Feb 05, 2012 Stina rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I really enjoy This I Believe, but I believe this book was gagging me.
Joy
This book was collected essays from a series on NPR in 2005 that 'explores the beliefs and guiding principles by which Americans live.' As expected, some essays are trite, some slightly heretical, but most were thoughtful.

James Johnson (about his father): I believe that I am the man I am today because of that relationship. I learned to do things simply, to stay with the things that work, to be patient, to appreciate silence. I learned that discomfort is transient. I learned that I was a welcome
On Point
Back in the 1950s, broadcast legend Edward R. Murrow invited Americans to share what they really believed in short essays for radio – and many did. Listeners heard “This I Believe” from Jackie Robinson, Helen Keller, Harry Truman and many ordinary Americans.

In the last decade, “This I Believe” came back to the airwaves. And many Americans wanted to share what they believed about love. Their collection of essays on love cuts through the commercialism and takes a candid look at what love really is
Heather
I really loved this book! It is full of so many sweet and inspiring stories of where people find love and what love means to them. There are so many neat examples and stories of family, friends, pets, places, marriages, challenges, choices, children, selflessness, hope, perspective and peace. It's really all about love! :) Some of my favorite stories were those of family sacrifices and enduring love. I'm grateful for family. I'm grateful for love. :)
Anna
A Dog's Life:
"All I ever really wanted out of life was to have my back scratched while sitting in front of the TV, to run free in the woods on a sunny summer day, and to curl up in front of a fire on a cold winter's evening, listening to classical music that someone else would put on the stereo."
Brooke
Probably not my favorite of these books but I still love the format and premise of the series.
Arin Jeffs
My husband bought this for me after I read the first This I Believe book. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the original book.
Rebecca Lentz
Great, inspiring, sweet, an easy book to pick up, get lost in for a few minutes, put back down and finish later.
Morgan
Some essays I really identified with and found to be very touching. Others were kind of cliche.
Barbara Gard
ok I guess
Jaque Marquez
Jaque Marquez marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Jinna
Jinna marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Lisa Matanle
Lisa Matanle marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dan Gediman is a long-time writer, editor, and public radio producer whose work has been heard on All Things Considered, Morning Edition, Marketplace, Jazz Profiles, and This American Life. During his 30-year radio career, he has won many of public broadcasting’s most prestigious awards including the duPont-Columbia Award.

Dan is currently the Executive Director of This I Believe, Inc. (www.thisib
More about Dan Gediman...
This I Believe: Life Lessons This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women This I Believe: On Motherhood This I Believe: On Fatherhood This I Believe: On Love