Start by marking “Vamp Camp (Vamp Camp, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vamp Camp (Vamp Camp, #1)

Vamp Camp (Vamp Camp #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Did Mårten Larsson want to be a vamp? Not so much. He wanted it as much as he asked to have a sissy circle over the å in his name. He just woke up dead one day with a piece of paper that said, “Dude, you’re a vampire. Drink some blood. Don’t suntan.”

Luckily, another vampire finds Mårten and agrees to teach him how to live (well, not live, exactly) as a vampire. And so Mårt
Published April 14th 2010

To ask other readers questions about Vamp Camp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vamp Camp

Bound by Blood by Jourdan LaneInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceNotturno by Z.A. MaxfieldDeceptions by Jourdan LaneSacrifice by Jourdan Lane
Best Gay Vampires
129th out of 365 books — 523 voters
Bound by Blood by Jourdan LaneRebirth by Jordan Castillo PriceVertigo by Jordan Castillo PriceSnare by Jordan Castillo PriceDeceptions by Jourdan Lane
M/M Vampire Recommendations
52nd out of 65 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Kassa
Sick of the same old tired, uber powerful vamps but can’t quite let go of those sexy suckers? Definitely give Vamp Camp a try then. This hilarious, witty, sly, entertaining, sexy, and flat out laugh out loud funny romp hits so many high points that the flatter notes are somewhat forgiven. Not without its missteps, the story sets a pretty high bar for itself that is incredibly difficult to maintain. It mostly succeeds with only a few frustrating moments and ultimately the book is simply total fun ...more
Cole Riann
Hmm, I kept reading other reviews saying that there was so much sex, but I was kinda disappointed honestly. Ya'll had gotten my hopes up!

I thoroughly enjoyed this one and I'm looking forward to reading the sequels :)
T.M. Smith
Mårten (pronounced Morton) is a good ole boy from Texas. He has a stable home life and parents that love him and they know he’s gay. In fact, when he was a teenager, his mother gave him a three dollar bill to show him how queer he was. Although his parents are caring and understanding, they aren’t always emotionally available. When he graduates college he joins the Navy and ends up in a POW camp after he is captured by the Germans. Mårten has never been one to shy away from a fight, and his defi ...more
Mickie Ashling
Vamp Camp is an entertaining and irreverent novel about a young man who was turned against his will and finds himself a vampire abandoned by his maker. Our young hero has no idea how to survive until he meets a true master vampire and is taken under his wing. The blurb alone was hilarious and the humor continues throughout the book as Morten learns the basics of being a good blood sucker. The secondary characters are colorful and it was so easy to suspend belief and imagine myself amongst the yo ...more
Deanna
Tam
3.5 Oh why are there no half stars?

This has a much cuter goth boy on the cover of the paper version. Mårten is an American naval officer who is captured by the Germans in WWI. He is raped and turned into a vampire by one of the guards who dumps him in the with only the most basic of information. He manages to get by and meets Menz, another vampire who takes him to his estate where he learns about being a vampire from Menz and manages to fall in love with Oberon, one of the multitude of twink don
Qi
There... was no plot. Literally, no plot. Not that there's anything to spoil, but for safety: (view spoiler) ...more
momokaachan
I can see why some people didn't like this book. It is the journal of a vampire - approximately the first year of his unlife, if you will - and it is really a journal. Each chapter reads like an entry, and Mårten's opinions on everything from how to fly to terrific sex are entertaining. All the side comments, unnecessary editing, and various other personal stuff would probably get left out by a good publishing house. We would miss so much of the personality of the read if that had been done!

So d
Nancy Carbajal
Loved it! A friend loaned this story to me knowing I like Vampire stories best. I got so involved in the story line and sometimes I would forget it was set during the first World War. I liked all the characters and would not mind reading more about each of them as they all have interesting aspects in their personalities. A Texan turned Vampire in the country of Germany is certainly different and it spoke to me. I liked Marten very much and loved Oberon's name, lovely couple and their relationshi ...more
Bellis
It turned into a fun romp after I managed to disregard the numerus linguistic and historial inaccuracies.
Parker Olsson
This is probably the best and funniest and most tender vampire book ever. It is the right mix of action and love and insecurity and sex. Lots of hot sex.

What I like best is that the story is told by one of the characters. There is a bit of German because it takes place in Bavaria. I saw one person mention that the German isn't perfect, which is true. The narrater tries to do lots of things but often falls short. It is his quirks and snips that I find the most endearing.

This book had me rolling a
Anne
Oct 12, 2014 Anne added it
Shelves: dnf
Made it to 55%.
Tj
This was an interesting read. The vampires aren't all that original but the setting was different for me since it was set near the Great War. I really enjoyed a lot of the snark by the main character, Marten. The book is more of a background read than anything. We find out all about Marten and his beginnings as a vampire. I must admit to the thought that there isn't really a plot but with the quality of the writing I have high hopes for the next in the series.
Jani
read this and liked it. cute.. not realistic but that is not a requirement for my entertainment! I do question whether this book is the same as the one that is released from DSP or if it was expanded. re-written at all.. seems like there will be a sequel.. exciting!
kasjo_peja
Awful writing style - the narration goes in circles, jumping over present and past, with a lot of digressions. The story is told by over 100-years old vampire, who speaks like pretentious, snarky teenager. I had enough after reading 20 pages.
D
This was what I needed. Different, in a good way. Sexual, sweet, romantic, lots-o-sucking, hilarious, and kick ass. Yup, needed that.

IDK, but every time I see the cover of this book, I think of Prince (resemblance). What is that? Just me, I guess.
Dee
Just 2 1/2 Stars. Too much sex without adding to plot. Could have passed for a Youth novel except for the gratuitous sex romps. A fairly simplistic and difficult to believe view of vampirism. I guess I am in the minority.
Mel
Most of the German sentences and expressions used in the book were entirely wrong... As a German native speaker it totally irked me since a fluent reading wasn't possible at all.
Laurie Ather
Really enjoyed the way this was written, with Marton telling us his story.. Not heavy, over the top just fun..and sexy to boot. Can't wait to read the other two in the series!
Mara
You may not say it's a masterpiece, but this book is fun, fresh, and lovely. Still, I'm not tempted to follow the story in the second book of the series. A very light read.
Cherie Noel
Sly, scintillating, sexy...Wynn Wagner's 1st novel in the Vamp Camp trilogy absolutely nails all the really fun "S" words, and leaves you --dare I say starving?-- for more. Yum.
Lee
Nov 03, 2010 Lee rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire Lovers
Recommended to Lee by: A Vampire
This is a cute story about a neophyte vampire who is taken under the wing of an experienced vampire. I liked the book and I look forward to reading another of the author's books.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Kevin
Genre: M/M Paranormal
Rated: 4.5 hearts

Check out the review on http://heartsonfirereviews.com/
Cori
This is a funny, fast-paced book. Definitely looking forward to the sequel!
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
  • The Given & The Taken (Tooth and Claw, #1)
  • Cake (Blood Nation, #1)
  • Blood Run Cold
  • Sacrifice (Soul Mates, #3)
  • Vigil (The Hours Trilogy #2)
  • Blacker than Black
  • Master Of Obsidian (Master Chronicles, #1)
  • Immortality is the Suck (Adam & Peter, #1)
  • A Vampire in Waikiki (Vampire in Waikiki, #1)
  • Ink
  • Payback (Channeling Morpheus, #1)
  • Ice Man (Blood Slaves, #1)
  • The Holy Trinity (The Wolves of Gardwich, #1)
  • Claimed by Darkness
  • Alliance in Blood (Partnership in Blood, #1)
  • Other Side of Night: Bastian & Riley (Other Side of Night, #1)
  • The Lost Books 1 & 2
Wynn Wagner and his husband Rick live in Texas.

Texas doesn’t recognize their marriage even though it was done by a real priest in a real Old Catholic Church during Mass. God recognizes the marriage even if the state doesn’t. “Texas versus God,” Wynn says. “I pick God.” He prays that Texas politicians will one day consider his religion to be as valid as the politicians’ denominations.

Dr. Wagner rec
More about Wynn Wagner...

Vamp Camp (4 books)
  • The Obscurati (Vamp Camp, #2)
  • The Vamp in the Silver Mask (Vamp Camp, #3)
  • Fangs Over America (Vamp Camp, #4)
The Obscurati (Vamp Camp, #2) The Vamp in the Silver Mask (Vamp Camp, #3) Brent: The Heart Reader Fangs Over America (Vamp Camp, #4) Commitment Issues

“Getting caught is what I do best. It is either a natural talent (which means we can blame my family genes) or a well-hewn craft (in which case we can still blame my parents).” 0 likes