Start by marking “Herman the Helper” as Want to Read:
Herman the Helper

Herman the Helper

Herman the helpful octopus is always willing to assist anyone who needs his help--old or young, friend or enemy.
Published April 2nd 1987 by Aladdin (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Herman the Helper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Herman the Helper

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninThe Color Kittens by Margaret Wise BrownOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussMr. Zidderdeedee by Diane Page
Picture Books for the Sensitive Child
29th out of 216 books — 39 voters
Emily of New Moon by L.M. MontgomeryGone-Away Lake by Elizabeth EnrightThe Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan AikenBallet Shoes by Noel StreatfeildThe Borrowers by Mary Norton
Forgotten Kids Books of Quality
393rd out of 532 books — 199 voters

More lists with this book...

Christina Hyde
Feb 15, 2015 Christina Hyde rated it really liked it
The book "Herman the Helper" is both a visual and literary treat. This book follows the day in the life of a young octopus named Herman. He's a very helpful little guy and he goes out of his way to do something nice for everyone in his coral reef community.

The dialogue in this book is very interesting. There is large print that is the narration of the story and then smaller font that follows the dialogue between Herman and his fellow sea creatures. This interesting back and forth gives the feeli
Amy Forrester
Apr 08, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
Herman is a young green octopus who likes to help. He helps everyone – his mother, his father, his friends, his enemies. And at the end of the day, when Herman goes home for dinner he can also help himself to dinner.

Although this charming book lacks any sort of conflict, it’s a great book for babies and toddlers who are learning how to be helpers. The text is very short and aided by comments from Herman and his friends in smaller fonts. The illustrations are imaginative and colorful and will app
Rachel
This is a great book to show toddlers how to be a good helper. Although the story is a bit simple, I love it because of Aruego and Dewey's illustrations; they make such a great team with Robert Kraus. Herman the octopus loves to help everyone: his parents, his friends, even his enemies. Once he is home for the day, he helps himself to some dinner. Recommended for ages 2-5, 4 stars.
Lizet Serrano
This book is about a an octopus that likes to help others. I think this book would be great to show children how they can do things for others and making acts of kindness. The illustrations are also captivating and colorful.
Blake
Jun 07, 2016 Blake rated it really liked it
Though my lower elementary students enjoyed this book, as did I, there are very few words in the book and is best suited to ages 3-6. It's a sweet story that encourages young people to be kind and to help others.
Daniel Bushman
Mar 26, 2014 Daniel Bushman rated it it was amazing
When bored as a child, at a certain age, this book was a favorite go-to, to tickle my very young imagination about life under the sea, and to spark warm feelings about being nice.
Alyssa
Apr 20, 2015 Alyssa rated it really liked it
Really funny, and I love Jose Aruego and Ariane Dewey's illustrations! What a good helper story.
Erin
Pictures facilitate comprehension rather than words
Sarah Middlestead
Apr 13, 2015 Sarah Middlestead marked it as to-read
Eli: 1

Abby: 4
Ms. Sweeney
Sep 11, 2007 Ms. Sweeney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ages-2-and-older
a very simple book about a helpful octopus - I love this book for it's illustrations as well as for it's lack of "moral to the story". Just simply tells of an octopus that likes to help everyone, including himself.
Megan
Sep 21, 2009 Megan rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this book when I was in elementary school. I loved it - it was simple with a simple loving message (help people- of course!). I thought the pictures were cool too. I now read it to my son.
Victoria Clay
I really enjoyed reading this book. I actually had a student in the class named Herman so it was perfect.It's a great read aloud book and models helping others.It also has great illustrations.
Karen
Nov 25, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
This book makes me giggle and helps me to relive that childhood feeling of delight at a fun, imaginative and colourful picture-book. It's the perfect antidote to an adult reading of The Giving Tree.
Buxmont Uu
Nov 23, 2013 Buxmont Uu added it
Shelves: bcfl, cmmw
CMMW 17
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Dee
Dee added it
Aug 11, 2016
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Suzanne Williams
Suzanne Williams marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Bob Wu
Bob Wu is currently reading it
May 25, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it it was ok
May 02, 2016
Christa Norman
Christa Norman marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Jennifer Brand
Jennifer Brand marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Ke'Asia
Ke'Asia rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Robert Kraus was an American children's author, cartoonist and publisher. Founder and publisher of Windmill Books, author and illustrator of award-winning children's books, Kraus began as a cartoonist and cover artist for The New Yorker. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_...]
More about Robert Kraus...