Start by marking “The Master” as Want to Read:
The Master

The Master (Seducing the Classics #2)

From the author of Unmasqued comes a bold and erotic retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo.Dantes spent years imprisoned for a crime he didn’t commit. Now he’s returned to Paris in the guise of the Count of Monte Cristo, seeking vengeance on those who sent him to jail. But his plan also includes a different kind of revenge—on the woman he has never forgotten, the lover he ...more
Published May 6th 2008 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about The Master, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Master

Babel
Siempre me han atraído las historias de aquéllos que lo han perdido todo a través de la traición, incluida su humanidad. Siendo una intensa curiosidad por saber en qué se han convertido, lo que tuvieron que sufrir para salir del pozo oscuro donde les ha hundido la tragedia y, si logran salir de él, qué es lo que queda de ellos.

Reseñado por primera vez en Torre de Babel torretadebabel.blogspot.com

Qué gran placer reside en revivir una historia amada desde la niñez en unos términos nuevos y moderno
AerinLuvs
Overall Rating: 4.5 stars
Plot: 3 stars (somewhat familiar)
Hero Rating: 5 stars
Heroine Rating: 5 stars
Erotic tension/buildup: 5 stars
Erotic scenes descriptiveness: 5 stars (view spoiler) SIZZLING!
Erotic scenes frequency: 5 stars (lost count!)
Writing flow/Style: 5 stars
Denouement: 5 stars!

This is a very satisfying read of a fictionalized eroticized account of the familiar tale of The Count of Monte Cristo. I confess to have never read the orig
Erin O'Riordan
May 26, 2013 Erin O'Riordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'The Count of Monte Cristo' by Alexandre Dumas pere is about 800 pages long in the abridged version, and when I finished reading it, I experienced mild dysphoria because it was not long enough. I wanted the story to continue. I was tremendously excited when I learned of The Sultan of Monte Cristo, but was severely disappointed with the execution of that book. Later, when I learned of 'Master,' my hopes were very high. It isn't a sequel to the Dumas classic, but a retelling from the point of view ...more
Kara

Colette Gale read The Count of Monte Cristo and decided what the book really needed was less subplots and more sex.

A steamy (and simplified) version of the thick novel that actually remains fairly true to the original.
nicole
As of person who adores the classic The Count of Monte Cristo, I thought this erotic version would be an interesting read.

Unfortunately, the only interesting parts, for me, were the sex scenes, and even those were a bit bland. The language I have come to find in erotica was there, but the sex was less about connecting and more about hurting. And not the good kind.

I found myself skimming the entire book, and I rarely skim. Also? Fernand disgusted me, and there were times the Count was just too m
Megan
This was a good, well written story. The only reason I did not give this book 4 stars is because I never read The Count of Monte Cristo so I did not have any previous emotional ties to the characters in the story. If you haven't read the original classic, I do at least recommend that you read a summary of that first before reading this book, as there are many characters and can get a little confusing at the beginning of this book. However, if you are a fan of the classic I have no doubt that you ...more
Dec 18, 2010 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first romance classified as "erotic" and it definitely didn't disappoint in that area. However, the storyline didn't cut it and the romance aspect was virtually non-existent. Good thing I already "knew" the story! The storyline was so lacking that the only thing that kept me turning the pages was the next coupling. If this is "erotic romance", I can do without it. I like a little story with my romance! Needless to say, I was VERY disappointed in this book.
Story = D
Sensuality = A
Romanc
Beth
Jul 28, 2010 Beth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boring, boring-sex
Master is a boring retelling that is not particularly well-written. I found myself skimming over the "erotic" parts because I just wasn't engaged. The author's word choices when describing "naughty" bits were a little distracting - for example, apparently women have "pips." If I weren't scratching my head trying to figure out what body part that is supposed to be, maybe I could have gotten into the story better. As it was, I was a bit confused and very bored. Skip it.
catechism
Jan 29, 2015 catechism rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who sometimes like to read super-trashy "erotica."
Two stars for the lulz, mostly. Man, this was bad. Every chapter had a long-drawn-out sex scene, often between minor characters, and there was a lot of jiggling. Said sex scenes were pretty much all the same. Points for using the word "cunt" in a book I bought at Barnes & Noble, though, and I'm a sucker for a good grudgefuck, but this could have been so much better. It's just bad fanfic, and I would know from bad fanfic.
Escape
Jul 04, 2010 Escape rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read or seen the movie Count of Monte Cristo, but I don't believe I want to after reading Colette Gale's version. She does such a wonderful job of telling a story. I was pulled in and enjoyed the ride. I know I suck at writing reviews, just wanted to let you know, you won't be wasting your time with reading anything from this author. She also writes under Colleen Gleason and Joss Ware.
Shannon The Show Stopper
Another fantastic classic by Colette Gale! I love this one as much as her first book :) I enjoyed this so much more than the original Count of Monte Cristo!
Sara
Feb 19, 2015 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly better than I expected. It's still silly as fuck and its choice of replace words for vagina and clitoris are hilarious, but I found Mercedes refreshingly not a doormat.
The two other start those things would have merit it, were knocked down by the treatment of Ali's rape in the hands of Haydee, no is no, bitch.
Take a second to consider how we would react to Haydee being tied up and forced just because Ali loves her and was really really horny... just because it's the other way around
Ada
Feb 02, 2016 Ada marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mf, erotica
I don't read many classic books because some of them are too hard for me to read in English and sometimes I hate how they are translated in Dutch. Exceptions are Jane Austen and the Count of Monte Cristo. The latter I have not read in a while (must correct that).

So I adore adoptions of my favourite books. Even more when they are erotica. what can I say... I like sex *shrugs*.

I so so so hope this one will live up to my expectations!
Stephanie Turner
Great Love Story

With revenge on his mind, against those who had wronged him for over twenty two years, Edmond had to fight the coldness in his heart.
Regina
May 28, 2012 Regina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A unique and intriguing re-telling of a famous classic. I was a little frustrated over the long time span for this story to culminate, and I think, too, that my blood-thirsty tendencies were a little thwarted because the villains didn't suffer as much as I'd like. I couldn't help but love Edmond for even though he was driven by anger and revenge, he was still endearing to me. I was surprised by the extent of Mercedes' suffering and the sacrifices she had to face not only while she waited fruitle ...more
Kiru Taye
An erotic take on The Count of Monte Cristo. I enjoyed it but the sex scenes got repetitive so skimmed them.
Aaron
Oct 27, 2010 Aaron rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After one or two sex scenes, I got board with this book. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I'm not getting entertainment from it, so I've stopped reading after about 100 pages - and this is very rare for me.

One huge disappointment about this book - Ms. Gale turned some of the characters into liars and adulterers, and while, yes, The Count is a liar in the original version, since he hides his true identity, he was not an adulterer, nor was his love interest. Adulterers make me physically ill
Carol
Mar 16, 2009 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica
To be honest, I probably shouldn't have read this. I loved The Count of Monte Cristo and this retelling was nowhere near it. Monte Cristo is still out for revenge, but he's crueler somehow, and I don't know what's up with Mercedes. Maximilien and Valentine are still a great couple, but other than that, I didn't really feel sympathetic to any of the characters, with the possible exception of Ali. I enjoyed the couple of sex scenes toward the begining better than later ones. Sex as punishment got ...more
Olga H. Rivas
Sep 23, 2008 Olga H. Rivas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any one...young and old
Recommended to Olga H. by: My father
I first read this book, out of curiosity...I was my father's favorite book. I have kept his old hard cover for many years. When my husband gave me a paper back, I began to read it...could not put it down. The movie/sss do not come near to doing it any justice. I hear there's a sequel, I am curious. Any thoughts on that?
Christine
Aug 28, 2008 Christine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
This is a retelling of "The Count of Monte Cristo" with the same erotic edge that Ms. Gale put on her version of the "Phantom of the Opera" in the book "UNMASQUED". If you like to take a step into the erotic literature genre every once in a while it is a good read.
Mandy
May 15, 2012 Mandy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy I couldn't even get into this one at all. It read like a wanna be writer wrote it. I know it's an erotica novel so it really shouldn't matter. right? But it does! I got through the first few chapters and gave up.
Andi
Apr 27, 2008 Andi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: erotica lovers, retelling lovers
A fun erotic retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo. I feel a tad lucky that I haven't read the "real" novel as I might be slightly embarrassed by the sexed up version. Fun reading!
Helena Deveraux
Es un buen libro si lo que buscas es leer algo completamente erótico, sólo hay escenas de este tipo en el libro; pero si buscas un libro con una buena historia, no lo es tanto.
Christy Nevarez
Jan 07, 2012 Christy Nevarez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The eroticism was stimulating but the romance wasn't really there like it was in "Unmasqued." I still enjoyed the book and didn't want to put it down.
Susan Mika-Reyes
This was highly entertaining, especially for an erotic novel. I can't say I'd want to read another one, but definitely a good junk read.
Yelania Nightwalker
Otro de esos que se tornan tan aburridos que simplemente los dejas y ya...
Heidiaz
Jan 07, 2009 Heidiaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as unmasqued, but still entertaining.
Amiee
Hated this book.
Emelyne Jemison
Emelyne Jemison marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
  • Tortured
  • Crave: The Seduction of Snow White
  • Dane (The Lords of Satyr, #5)
  • Good Girl Seeks Bad Rider
  • A Mermaid's Kiss (Daughters of Arianne, #1)
  • The Chosen Sin
  • Something Reckless (Albright Sisters, #2)
  • He's on Top: Erotic Stories of Male Dominance and Female Submission
  • Dreamwalker
  • Tempting Eden
  • The Erotic Secrets of a French Maid
  • Dark Elves: Salvation (Dark Elves #3 & #4)
  • Pleasure and Purpose (Order of Solace, #1)
  • Wicked Hot
  • Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2)
  • Pleasure Palace
  • Bedtime Stories: A Collection of Erotic Fairy Tales
  • Enchanted Again

Seducing the Classics (3 books)
  • Unmasqued: An Erotic Novel of The Phantom of The Opera (Seducing the Classics, #1)
  • Bound by Honor: An Erotic Novel of Maid Marian (Seducing the Classics, #3)